spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-27 08:36:45: As users in our AT&T forum discuss, AT&T didn't make many friends last night by temporarily blocking user access to img.4chan.org in order to curtail a DDoS attack. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Hmmm...

How much did 4chan.org pay AT&T for this publicity?
--
Blagojevich / Madoff 2012!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
probably not a cent. its too sweet of a deal for them.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to pnh102
And it didn't stop DailyKos from jumping to the wrong conclusions and going off on a rant:
»www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/···-tonight
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Expand your moderator at work

adisor19

join:2004-10-11

The internet hate machine will be watching..

This was really close AT&T.. almost too close according to a lot of pple.

Adi

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to ArrayList

Re: Hmmm...

said by ArrayList:

probably not a cent. its too sweet of a deal for them.
I must be getting cynical. I must admit that prior to this story I'd never heard of this website.

While I don't have any evidence to back up this assertion, I've come to believe that the saying "you can't buy this type of publicity" isn't really that true anymore.
--

cameronsfx

join:2009-01-08
Panama City, FL
reply to pnh102
Well, AT&T blocked MySpace once blaming a "router issue." Even MySpace said it was an AT&T issue and they were working with AT&T. Funny, however, once Murdoch bought MySpace, no issues again.

It does raise the specter of AT&T blocking websites in the "public interest."

I don't know the truth so perhaps AT&T should publish it with facts to support it.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to cameronsfx

said by cameronsfx:

I don't know the truth so perhaps AT&T should publish it with facts to support it.
There is legal precedent that would allow for AT&T to be punished for blocking any website. I would refer to the case of one DSL provider blocking access to VOIP providers a few years back (the details escape me).

Furthermore, I would imagine that AT&T probably does not want to play the role of content police. Blocking access to certain parts of certain websites would most likely result in AT&T losing "common carrier" status with regard to its Internet network.
--

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to adisor19

Re: The internet hate machine will be watching..

Indeed, be fearful, be very fearful, people, the ATT black helicopter fleet is loose.

tstromq

join:2005-09-06
united state

Battle Plans

4Chan already tried to fake the death of the ATT CEO.
»digg.com/tech_news/AT_T_CEO_Dead···port_com

There were numerous other battle plans and attacks in the making.

»encyclopediadramatica.com/AT%26T···ks_4chan

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

Explaining Why This was Blocked

All mobile operators have a problem or bottleneck in thier network in terms of capacity. When phones are not transmitting data they're not using limited RF channel resources.

The problem is that tcp scans can wake up thousands of mobiles who now then try to register on the network and thus take up all available channels. So the solution to when this happens is that they block the offending ip in question usually on network edge routers.

I have no idea how intergrated AT&T's network is, but it suggests that the wireless and landline portions share a common network and thus blocks to protect the wireless side can impact landline broadband users.
--
Play a Death Knight?
www.theebonhold.com

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to pnh102

4chan did not buy publicity to reach the likes of you.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to tstromq

Re: Battle Plans

ahh 4chan, a bunch of attention grabbing script kiddie noise makers.

i went there once to see what the big deal was, i wanted my 12 keystrokes and one click back.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Kearnstd:

ahh 4chan, a bunch of attention grabbing script kiddie noise makers.

i went there once to see what the big deal was, i wanted my 12 keystrokes and one click back.
Love em or hate em they are still a force to be reckoned with.

A handful ants can be stepped on. Tens of thousands of ants can overrun a city.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

cho0b

join:2006-09-26
united state

lol

trust me.. moot doesn't have the money to get AT&T do plan some sort of publicity stunt for 4chan.

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO
reply to NOCMan

Re: Explaining Why This was Blocked

From what I was seeing last night, apparently AT&T's mobile network was not affected, just DSL customers.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to NOCMan
This wasn't on AT&T Mobility. Just the former SBC DSL network.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pnh102

I had heard of it but figured it was on the same level of crap as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter.

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO
reply to FFH5
I'd say that the underlying assumption, that we need some kind of net neutrality, is sound regardless of the reasons for the temporary "ban".

Last night, AT&T demonstrated that they can block access to a particular site and that, under certain circumstances (whatever those may be), they are willing to block access to certain sites.

In this case, apparently 4chan was blocked because it was the target of an ongoing DDOS attack. Well what kind of message does that send to attackers? That if they make life hard enough for a big enough ISP, they actually do have the power to shut down access to their targeted site?

That's a recipe to guarantee that these attacks continue and, if anything, get worse. Who do the script kiddies target next? The RNC? The White House? AT&T just set a bad precedent.
--
"Religion allows people who would otherwise be arguing about whether the Death Star could beat a Borg Cube to have a place of respect within society."

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Corydon:

I'd say that the underlying assumption, that we need some kind of net neutrality, is sound regardless of the reasons for the temporary "ban".

Last night, AT&T demonstrated that they can block access to a particular site and that, under certain circumstances (whatever those may be), they are willing to block access to certain sites.

In this case, apparently 4chan was blocked because it was the target of an ongoing DDOS attack. Well what kind of message does that send to attackers? That if they make life hard enough for a big enough ISP, they actually do have the power to shut down access to their targeted site?

That's a recipe to guarantee that these attacks continue and, if anything, get worse. Who do the script kiddies target next? The RNC? The White House? AT&T just set a bad precedent.
I don't see it that way. The site is back up - probably after AT&T & the web site putting mitigation measures in place to blunt the effect of the DDOS attacks. A reasonable response to what occurred.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to pnh102
Uh... They didn't pay anything. In fact, that'd be breaking the rules as a matter of fact.

I'm just glad AT&T went and fixed this before things got too out of hand. Backlash is probably still coming though.

I read that thread last night as this was taking off and agree with the one guy who asks if anybody's ever heard of spoofed headers. Why the hell would 4chan be DDoSing itself? This is a completely clueless statement made by AT&T to admit wrongdoing; it's their way of covering their a**es before the cogs of the internet hate machine got fully spinning. Perhaps wise, but unwise of them to not admit wrongdoing and instead mutter something about DDoS and ARP and reliability that doesn't make sense.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

What?!

You mean that thousands of AT&T customers couldn't get express their "/b/tard'ism" (sic)? I didn't realize that was a bad thing.

Sarcasm Complete.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to battleop

no. 4chan (especially /b/) is far below the likes of social networking sites.