spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-27 10:26:23: Last Friday, Bob Heile, the chairman of the IEEE 802.15 working group on Personal Area Networks, noted that the 802.11N Wi-Fi standard has finally been sent on to the Standards Review Committee. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

Its about time!!!

WoW this took a long time to happen!

verolom

join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA

802.11N updates that never came

My first draft N router was abandoned by D-Link in disgrace as it was a complete disaster. My second draft D-link router has not received a firmware update now for almost two years and is no longer supported. Considering that it's still working I do not plan on replacing it anytime soon. I'm afraid by this point people have fallen in a technological complacency, even those who would spend top dollar to stay at the edge of technology a few years back.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to gate1975mlm

Re: Its about time!!!

said by gate1975mlm:

The IEEE standards committees have made themselves almost completely non-relevant. They take so long to do anything that the standards they vote on are almost old technology by the time they act. The marketplace does a better job of identifying a market leading technology and ignoring all the losing versions. The IEEE would do better to just see who won the war and then declare them the winner.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

Official or not

Official or not the best thing I've done for my home network was to ditch 802.11g.

Zonerider
Zonerider
Premium
join:2004-12-01
united kingd

1 edit
reply to verolom

Re: 802.11N updates that never came

firmware upgrades may be required for interoperability, and I am sure they will continue supporting the draft N after N is ratified. The certification is little more than recognition.

chemaupr

join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA
reply to Michail

Re: Official or not

said by Michail:

Official or not the best thing I've done for my home network was to ditch 802.11g.
Now that the N is standard I suspect we will have the same problem we have with G, a super saturated spectrum or those we live in densely populated areas.

The only thing I have wireless in my home network is the laptop. All other devices are wired using Netgears powerline networking devices. They work perfect for me.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to verolom

Re: 802.11N updates that never came

"Buy it now and we will send you a firmware update when the spec is completed" Sure. But really, once it’s signed, who will follow it, and which manufacture will break it just to one-up the competition with a new (usless)feature.

Third party firmware provides better product support updates then the manufacturers; not surprising because the manufactures only get paid for hardware (regardless if it works well).

Cutting Edge Obsolescence!
--
DD-WRT httpd vulnerability! Update Now!!: »www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

802.11N cool but too late, too compromised

Wi-Fi.org lost my support when they lowered their own lowered standards to allow cheap 802.11b/g-style antenna arrays several months ago -- all to save a manufacture about 25¢ a unit. Yes, the N-stuff is cool, but they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Meanwhile, can someone explain to me why we're so in love with the 2.4 GHz band? Crowding in this band is the reason most of us will never realize N's potential! Where's the 5 GHz stuff?
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Evil does seek to maintain power by suppressing the truth, or by misleading the innocent. --Spock and McCoy stardate 5029.5

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by gate1975mlm:

The IEEE standards committees have made themselves almost completely non-relevant. They take so long to do anything that the standards they vote on are almost old technology by the time they act. The marketplace does a better job of identifying a market leading technology and ignoring all the losing versions. The IEEE would do better to just see who won the war and then declare them the winner.
Absolutely. I've felt this way about a lot of standards bodies for a long time. This is not the 50's and 60's, this is the digital age, they need to get with the times and streamline their ratification procedures or risk becoming obsolete.

That said, 802.11n has been pretty hit or miss for me. I've gone through several brands, several different chipsets, and it's ALL been extremely prone to interference. Speeds fluctuate dramatically, so much so that I've disabled it on my access points and gone back to standard 802.11g for connection stability.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to FFH5
This sounds good if you only have one proposed standard. However, it isn't such a good idea if you have multiple, incompatible technologies fighting for the market, or, worse, if you have different manufacturers with slightly different interpretations of what the same "standard" should be, resulting in devices that purport to be compatible but really aren't.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to chemaupr

said by chemaupr:

said by Michail:

Now that the N is standard I suspect we will have the same problem we have with G, a super saturated spectrum or those we live in densely populated areas.

The only thing I have wireless in my home network is the laptop. All other devices are wired using Netgears powerline networking devices. They work perfect for me.
Just switch to the 5Ghz band. It's not crowded there.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to funchords

Re: 802.11N cool but too late, too compromised

said by funchords:

Wi-Fi.org lost my support when they lowered their own lowered standards to allow cheap 802.11b/g-style antenna arrays several months ago -- all to save a manufacture about 25¢ a unit. Yes, the N-stuff is cool, but they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Meanwhile, can someone explain to me why we're so in love with the 2.4 GHz band? Crowding in this band is the reason most of us will never realize N's potential! Where's the 5 GHz stuff?
I have several 5Ghz wirless N devices. They aren't very hard to find. what's difficult are devices that handle 2.4Ghz N and 5Ghz N concurrently.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

And now, Finally...

It'll be worth upgrading from the existing .11b/g stuff I have now.

Why? Because standards that are followed mean that different brands have to work with each other, and none of this "turbo/powerboost" stuff that will only work if you buy ONLY one brand's networking products, that usually doesn't work in the end anyway.
--
Front Line Force Fortress Forever

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

reply to funchords

said by funchords:

Higher the frequency = less penetration of walls & objects.
--
"Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous."

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

Just switch to the 5Ghz band. It's not crowded there.
Yet...

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Michail
said by Michail:

Conversely, I continue to use the G standard without issue.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to chemaupr
said by chemaupr:

said by Michail:

Don't own a smartphone with WiFi yet?
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

3 edits
reply to funchords

said by funchords:

Where's the 5 GHz stuff?
802.11a & also there are some 802.11n out there on 5GHZ.

5GHZ N stuff:
»www.google.com/products?q=802.11···=en&aq=f

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

reply to Matt3

said by Matt3:

That said, 802.11n has been pretty hit or miss for me. I've gone through several brands, several different chipsets, and it's ALL been extremely prone to interference. Speeds fluctuate dramatically, so much so that I've disabled it on my access points and gone back to standard 802.11g for connection stability.
A friend of mine bought a refurbished .11n router, but I decided to take his and bought him a .11g router. I used the .11n router for a while (prior to getting U-Verse) and that thing was not all that. It supposed to have up to 300 feet of accessibility but my roommate still had a week signal .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to FFH5
We'd then end up with competing standards for years at the detriment of the consumer. It would certainly profit the companies who would lock in consumers to their proprietary standard, but no one wants to deal with the massive confusion in the marketplace a lack of standards would create.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to Matt3
Me too. I'm extremely disappointed with N. I use a laptop just a few feet from my N router, an it rarely shows a full speed connection, regardless of what channel I'm on. In "N exclusive" mode, the actual throughput I get is only about double what I saw with G, which my ancient D-Link "G+" router was capable of, without sacrificing compatibility with my old stuff.

--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to FFH5

deleted

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

My Experience with N

I have a Linksys WRT310N. When I get back to where it is (850 miles away) I'm going to do some iperf tests on it with wireless clients (all my computers are N, with Atheros chipsets for my Macs and Intel for my PC). I'm sure the results will come out a good bit better than the G equipment I'm using, though I'm not sure by how much yet. One thing I do know is that PowerBoost saturated by G link, and it doesn't saturate my N link (was using a WRT54G v8 before).

So *something* is working, just not sure how much at this point.

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

Wireless N works fine for me

I have the Trendnet Draft N Wireless Access Device that I use with FIOS. Works great.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to C0deZer0

Re: And now, Finally...

Yay now I can look into upgrading my home cisco 1242AG to a 1252N Wireless AP

Hpower
Roflmao

join:2000-06-08
Glendale, CA

Wireless G for me

Too many mixed experiences with wireless N. I chose to stick to wireless G and be happy with the reliability rather than upgrade all my workstations to support wireless N and waste my money.
--
The Internet is about to go down....it is actually.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo
reply to R4M0N

5Ghz is a double-edge sword. Less crowded and capable of higher consumer density because in general the signal won't go as far so having a neighbor on 5Ghz won't be as likely to interfere with yours. The downside is, well, the signal won't go as far so your speed may drop off quicker than the 2.4Ghz as you move away from the AP.

I'm running 802.11N on 5Ghz and there's less interference but it definitely doesn't have the range that it did when I tested using the 2.4Ghz band (running dual-band APs). I stuck with 5Ghz for N because I've got other gear on 802.11g and didn't want it running dual-mode on the same spectrum. I don't have other gear on 802.11a so I can use 5Ghz purely for N.
--
Tradition: Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. --despair.com

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Yay now I can look into upgrading my home cisco 1242AG to a 1252N Wireless AP
You could have done that 18 months ago. But wait a bit longer. There's an issue with the watchdog timer that they're not going to fix with stand-alone devices (lwapp is fixed) until October. Unless you call TAC and get the beta firmware.

Said issue makes the AP reboot every 12-18 hours. The beta firmware also seems to make streaming media to a PS/3 work MUCH MUCH better, too.

But when you do upgrade, look forward to ~100+Mbps wireless connections from it.

I pulled files from a Mac Pro with RAID5 to my Vaio laptop at those speeds over 802.11n/5GHz.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo
reply to funchords

The answer I've read to that question is inter-operability. If you put out gear purely on 5Ghz, consumers who were running 802.11b/g now have to upgrade all their gear to 802.11a or n (assuming the AP runs dual-mode a/n).

If you put N on 2.4Ghz, the AP can run dual or tri-mode (802.11b/g/n) and they upgrade some gear to get n, but the old stuff still works on b/g.

The downside is crowding.
--
Tradition: Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. --despair.com

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to ke4pym

cool good to know

I know I could have simpily bought the 1252N instead but I don't like using equ that is still in draft