dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-28 16:04:58: Comcast dropped two announcements on us this afternoon. First, the company says they're expanding their new Clearwire-powered Mobile WiMax service Comcast2go into the Atlanta market. ..

Mike_
join:2003-06-24
Philadelphia, PA

Mike_

Good Deal

This is not a bad deal, considering the inclusion of home broadband as well. All that is needed now is quicker deployment of tower equipment/service.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Free

I think this should be free. AT&T offers free wireless hot-spots with their DSL services.
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

Automate

Who makes the Comcast USB modem?

The USB WiMax modem looks different than the one from Clear. Is it still make by Motorola?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to Mike_

Premium Member

to Mike_

Re: Good Deal

While I'm not a fan of Comcast in the least, I will also concur that for the folks who need highspeed internet wherever they go, this may be a good deal. Of course, "wherever" is pretty limited ATM, but it's still a good effort.
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

Automate

Broken Link

Link »Comcast Unveils Mobile WiMax Service is broken

fancydancer
Perception is just your reality
Premium Member
join:2002-08-28
Springfield, IL

1 edit

fancydancer to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: Free

But are these free hotspots everywhere? No...

I think this is a hell of a deal. I pay $42.95/month for Comcast Internet, an extra $27 gets me nationwide 4G or 3G (3g in my area). Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T mobile broadband is at MINUMUM $49.99/month!
I understand it goes up to $92.95, therefore making it the same as the big 3, but I bet they will have promotions to keep you around when your intro offer expires...
Comcaster912
join:2009-07-05
Berwyn, IL

Comcaster912 to tiger72

to tiger72

Re: Good Deal

Actually, wherever is pretty open.
Metro package (4G) is only where clearwire/Comcast is, but the Nationwide package is 4G in metro where Clear is, and 3G in the whole country.

One of the companies that made "Clear" is Sprint, and their map is extremely well covered. So with nationwide, it is actually nationwide.

rlocone
Honor Our Heros, Our Armed Forces
Premium Member
join:2002-04-10
Kokomo, IN

1 edit

rlocone

Premium Member

We're on the ass end!

Well, Kokomo, IN will be one of the last by end of 2010 to get upgraded to Docsis 3. Provided we even get the upgrade at all.

AT&T did the same crap to us w/ 3G. Since Lafayette purchased 10k line w/ AT&T contracts over the next 3 yrs that is why they got upgrade to 3G so fast. We wont be getting 3G upgrade.

Not for nothing but it surely sucks living in this part of the country. Only if I can get the wife to move somewhere else would be nice.

What I'm pointing out is the concept is still the same.
TechnoScott
Premium Member
join:2003-03-25

TechnoScott to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Go suck up to Obama for this then. Maybe whatever you do for a living should be free to me too.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

My city actually requested free Wi-fi coverage in my area on the stimulus bill.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy

Still no DOCSIS 3 in parts of the East Bay

I just got off the phone with Comcast and was told that it would be at least another month before it would be available in Berkeley. The rep also stated that this is the second time they've pushed back the date.

Was going to up the connection at work from 16/2 to 50/10 but guess not.
Redhotsauce
join:2009-03-04
San Pablo, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Redhotsauce

Hmm thats weird cause in the press room site they have Berkeley as having D3 as of today.

»comcastcalifornia.mediar ··· item=296

"Beginning today, Comcast’s new services are available to residential homes (and beginning August 4 to all businesses) in the following cities: Alameda, Albany, American Canyon, Belvedere, Benicia, Berkeley, Bodega Bay, Calistoga, Camp Meeker, Castro Valley, Cazadero, Cloverdale, Corte Madera, Cotati, Crockett, Deer Park, El Cerrito, El Sobrante, Emeryville, Fairfax, Fairfield, Forest Knolls, Forestville, Fremont, Fulton, Geyserville, Glen Ellen, Graton, Greenbrae, Guerneville, Hayward, Healdsburg, Hercules, Kentfield, Kenwood, Kensington, Lagunitas, Larkspur, Mill Valley, Monte Rio, Napa, Newark, Novato, Oakland, Occidental, Penngrove, Petaluma, Piedmont, Pinole, Port Costa, Rio Nido, Rodeo, Rohnert Park, Ross, San Anselmo, San Geronimo, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, San Pablo, San Rafael, San Quentin, Richmond, Santa Rosa, Sausalito, Sebastopol, Sonoma, St. Helena, Suisun City, Tiburon, Travis Air Force Base, Union City, Vacaville, Vallejo, Windsor, Wood Acre and Yountville."

neato12
@comcast.net

neato12

Anon

Provide a MiFi card!

I live in outskirts of Baltimore. This deal looks great and would be more attractive to me if they offered an option to utilize a MiFi card; credit card sized router that allows you to become a hotspot for up to four people.

Right now I pa $55 for local cable and Internet. Paying an additional $20 or so for 4G/3G with the MiFi would make me call them up now and order this deal!

I'm thinking of forgoing cell service and just use a MiFi along with my iPod Touch to communicate (email, sms, twitter and skype).
AquaSport
California - Sun, Surf, Traffic Jams
join:2007-05-03
California

AquaSport

6 Mbps Package Upgrades?

So...

Bay Area residents are having their basic package (Performance) upgraded from 6/1 to 12/2? Anyone know on how long it'll be before this upgrade is done? All the Comcast site says is something like "Customers with the 6/1 package will be upgraded to the 12/2 package."... but there's no timeframe.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

incentive to up?

maybe this will be the catalyst for taking the top tier broadband package.. throwing in unlimited wireless (3g/4g on whatever device you choose... even do voip on it if you wish)

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to fancydancer

to fancydancer

I think this is a dynamite deal, and I normally don't even LIKE mobile data plans. For an extra $27 a month, though, I gain 3G or 4G nationwide, depending on location (3G DC metro/4G Baltimore metro, which covers most local travel, along with no worse than 3G elsewhere, including metro Las Vegas, Atlantic City, DFW, southern California, or even NYC). Even 3G data plans are faster than most *free* in-hotel wireless, if they offer it.

Even better, I don't have to change my existing wireless provider (VZW).

So even a skeptic like me sees few minuses.

CW
@comcast.net

CW to neato12

Anon

to neato12

Re: Provide a MiFi card!

Clearwire offers a wifi router that the Wimax usb modem plugs into. You could purchase one of those from a Clear Retail store in the Baltimore area once the Baltimore network makes the switch to Clear from Xohm.
El Gaupo
Premium Member
join:2006-07-15
Buckhorn, NM

El Gaupo

Premium Member

Why use comcast

Why wouldnt someone just order the service directly from Clearwire instead of a reseller like comcast ?

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Could it be because Clearwire will only sell the service directly where Comcast is not available? (Look at where Clear is being sold directly today, and compare that to Comcast's footprint.) It's similar to the dry-loop residential FIOS deal; while VZ does all the installation work, it's DSLExtreme that handles the sale. FIOS bundle deals are handled directly by VZ; DSLE does not do bundles.
bsparksIII
join:2009-09-05
Atlanta, GA

bsparksIII

Comcast vs Clear

It appears that Comcast will add an additional $30 to existing account holders. This would increase their monthly bills $75+. with Clear, I only pay $55 for home and on the go unlimited bandwidth. Mind you I did purchase both modems to eliminate what would have been an additional $10 if I least them.