spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-07-28 18:10:50: Back in 2007, Verizon announced that they'd be throwing off the shackles of closed network architectures and crippled devices to embrace the glorious open and free Internet, a decision that was lauded by the technology media as a massive paradigm shi.. ..

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Everyones got to have an App store....

Their apps might be of better use when they migrate to LTE. But Karls right about "the bottom line". We'll see if they pull the old switcheroo like the Deathstar did.
--
BF69~~~Please stop suffocating gerbils!

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

Trying to compete with iPhone?

Are they trying to compete with all the popular apps you can get on the iphone? Its really about time that they do something and give us a variety on what we can do on our phone with Verizon Wireless.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to S_engineer

Re: Everyones got to have an App store....

Mmmmmmmmmm......

Google maps with GPS on my blackberry....

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to CaptainRR

Re: Trying to compete with iPhone?

said by CaptainRR:

Are they trying to compete with all the popular apps you can get on the iphone? Its really about time that they do something and give us a variety on what we can do on our phone with Verizon Wireless.
The trick will be to build an app store that will work on multiple smartphones and even on all the older feature phones. That may mean some coordination with RIM; MS; Nokia; Palm; etc. Now that would be an app store that could set Verizon apart from what AT&T has - an app store for iPhones only. And really give them an advantage.

P.S.>> and of course Apple if they ever get out of their deal with AT&T.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

dave987

@shawcable.net

1 recommendation

verizon's problem will be phone models

Apple's app store is easy, both for developers and for consumers. 95%+ apps work with all iPhones and iPod Touch's. Only a few are specific to either the iPod Touch or the iPhone, and there are might be some that are for only specific iPhone models. And end-users can easily (free for the iPhone, $10 for iPod Touch) upgrade to the latest OS, and get patches for free, so right now, the majority of iPhone owners and a good batch of iPod Touches are using the latest version of the OS. And then the App Store is relatively easy to purchase (less so to find) apps.

For everybody else, there are a bunch of hurdles blocking them from effectively competing with the app store:
-developers don't have a consistent platform to program against. Phones running different OS's need custom versions of apps, and then different model phones have different capabilities such as cpu, ram, screen, buttons, and even available API's.
-the firmware on most phones (except notably Android and Palm Pre phones) are rarely, if ever, upgraded. Unless there is a widely publicized problem or virus affecting a phone model, the OS just isn't updated, even with bug fixes. So developers either need to spend more time making sure their apps working with the install base, which uses older less capable API's OR code to newer API's, but then it works with little or no install base.
-the end user/store/developer all have to figure out how to make sure the app they purchase in the store actually will work with their particular phone (so you need to filter all the apps in the store based on manufacturer, specific model of phone, and the installed OS on the phone). So even existing stores offering thousands of apps, only a fraction of them will actually work with your specific phone

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

google voice on Verizon - not

ya think the big V will do any better than A(tt)pple in its Istore when it comes to an innovative app that would compete with a Verizon offering

How do you say google voice??

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

same old

How is a Verizon App Store any different from Verizon's GetItNow BREW DRM system thats been around for almost a decade?

The press is definitely drool like Craig Moffett.

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to FFH

I did realize that the applications would have had to been built around all of the older phones and the mix of different OS's out there also. I see it every time I get a new phone every other year, it is almost a year before you can get a bunch of decent applications for it and by than the phone is outdated or wore out. They really need to get new phones out there compatible with each other with many useful applications from the get go.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
reply to burner50

Hey! Our whole company has that.

But then again, we're on Sprint.

NV

h1dex00

join:2004-09-03
Saint Louis, MO
reply to patcat88

Re: same old

When I was a verizon customer, the Get It Now apps did not impress me. In some cases, I found myself going to third party vendors for apps.

Quiglag
God is Love
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Ontario, CA
reply to burner50

As far as I know, this is already possible on Verizon. My father downloaded this from Google to his BB.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
said by Quiglag:

As far as I know, this is already possible on Verizon. My father downloaded this from Google to his BB.
BUT the Google Maps doesnt have access to the GPS Radio... Just cell tower triangulation.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

steveymacjr

join:2001-01-25
Matthews, NC

What's the big deal!?!?!?

I don't see the big deal...
Verizon Wireless is a company that's in business to make money... and apps on a smartphone is another place they can make money...
If you don't like it, you are welcome to choose another wireless provider that doesn't lock down their phones, IE Sprint....
But if you don't mind this, then you can stay with them...
If you have a contract stay til the end and cancel, or if it's that big a deal, cancel and pay the ETF..
As far as i can tell, Verizon Wireless is just leveraging their 80+ Million customers to make more money, and thats what you want from a public company, them to make more money...

BTW, I say Sprint, because all of their phones are Java based, and you can install anything on them... same goes for smartphones, download the free Sprint Titan Java environment and you can run any Java Mobile application...

Wizeguy7

join:2008-08-23
Safety Harbor, FL

I'll see it when I believe it

"While it would be nice to believe Verizon really has turned a corner when it comes to wireless walled gardens and anti-competitive behavior, it's probably wise to wait until things actually change before smothering the telco with hugs and kisses."

I want to take my media with me and want to be able to go anywhere on the device. Can you hear me now Verizon?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Win-win quote

quote:
Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam launched the conference by welcoming everyone, including " those of you that said this day will never come and it’s a sham." "Our success is tied to you,"
If the app store is successful, Verizon can exclaim "See, we were right and all you nay sayers can just shove off."

If the app store fails, Verizon can exclaim "See, we tried but you didn't allow us to be successful."

Verizon comes out looking good in either scenario. God it must be great to work in marketing/PR and thing these things up.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

said by Quiglag:

BUT the Google Maps doesnt have access to the GPS Radio... Just cell tower triangulation.
Wow, that's lame.
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to CaptainRR

said by CaptainRR:

Switch carriers.
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

said by Quiglag:

That's not true. I have a BB Tour, and Google Maps works perfectly.

I believe that this is also true for the Storm, and it will be true for all future Verizon BlackBerries. Your father must be using an older model?
--
One nation, under Zod!

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to burner50
said by burner50:

said by Quiglag:

It uses whatever the device has Gps, A-GPS , etc.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
Not on Verizon.....

BBNavigator works with GPS, so does Verizon navigator, but not google maps.

kmb40

join:2004-08-02
Fort Washington, MD
reply to patcat88

Re: same old

I remember that. It was promoted just like this app store. Lol.

kmb40

join:2004-08-02
Fort Washington, MD
reply to steveymacjr

Re: What's the big deal!?!?!?

@Stevemacjr

True, they - Verizon / Bell Atlantic / C&P - are and have always been all about making money.

I agree that there should be no shame it that.

However, providing me, the customer with the best experience should be your priority. Do that, and the money would follow.

When you priority is money only combined with a traditional teclo my way or the highway mentality, this type of announcement looks like hype.