dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-08-25 18:37:34: We've well documented how Fairpoint Communications has all-but imploded from the acquisition of Verizon's Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont DSL networks. ..

Opticwonders
Premium Member
join:2009-03-31
united state

Opticwonders

Premium Member

Funny you should mention...

Just saw this on the evening news... very interesting but certainly not surprising.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

how much longer before

att buys them out....

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Good god

I swear this entire mess has gone from laughable to beyond ridiculous. I can see the government is most likely going to have to step in and do something about these clowns. It seems like every week this company is in the news up here about SOMETHING they have fudged up.
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608 to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303

Re: how much longer before

well probably any day now

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike to swintec

Mod

to swintec

Re: Good god

That was Verizon's entire intention.

Sell it to eager morons to break it up and buy it back pennies on the dollar.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Verizon's first intention was to devalue its rural assets to:

1. Make it easy to sell (nobody wants rural landline business these days)
2. Claim it as a loss so that it can get a huge tax break
3. Enjoy failure of new incumbent landline company
4. Deploy wireless and WLL / LTE and make more money.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

True?? Maybe or maybe not; time will tell

Anonymous accusations without documented evidence are suspect. Could just be a union official trying to stir the pot and continue to blacken Fairpoint's reputation because the union didn't want this spinoff to occur.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

sonicmerlin

Seeing as how most of what you say goes against common sense and basic logic, and that this whistle blower is obviously putting his job in a difficult position by trying to be the anonymous informer, I highly doubt it.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to zed2608

to zed2608

never. att doesnt want them or they would have already picked up the market. Plus now with the Dems. ATT won't be getting much of anything. Why do you think the ATT/Cent Wireless deal is taking so long?
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin

Re: True?? Maybe or maybe not; time will tell

why? the union didn't want them taking over they wanted to keep VZ but yet bitched that VZ wouldn't maintain the network.

I call the Union on this one as well.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike

Re: Good god

said by Mike:

That was Verizon's entire intention.

Sell it to eager morons to break it up and buy it back pennies on the dollar.
I don't think Verizon is interested in any copper plant. I wouldn't doubt that their long term plan is to have nothing but fiber and wireless.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

Why do you think the ATT/Cent Wireless deal is taking so long?
Because frankly AT&T isn't keen on it anymore, When the economy tanked, the numbers went south, and now they are dragging their feet.

AT&T doesn't want Fairpoint. Remember we're talking about the dregs Verizon dumped because they didn't want them. The only way either of these two would pick this back up again is if they basically got it handed to them for free. And probably they'd demand some concessions from regulators on top of that!
KrK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

Could just be a union official trying to stir the pot and continue to blacken Fairpoint's reputation because the union didn't want this spinoff to occur.
Anonymous accusations without documented evidence are suspect..... but baseless speculation apparently is ok...

It could ALSO be that the Unions had concerns about Fairpoint's financial position and ability to pull this off. Concerns that seem to be borne out by the chain of events.... and which jive with the CWA's statements BEFORE the merger happened.
KrK

KrK to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
Yeah, it's gotta be the union spreading FUD. Uh, whatever.

The only thing the Union is guilty of is seeing the writing on the wall about the merger and being RIGHT about the outcome.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

1 recommendation

PaulHikeS2 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:
said by FFH5:

Could just be a union official trying to stir the pot and continue to blacken Fairpoint's reputation because the union didn't want this spinoff to occur.
Anonymous accusations without documented evidence are suspect..... but baseless speculation apparently is ok...
Neither are OK...I imagine the point is that without documented evidence, TK's baseless speculation has about the same credibility as the undocumented allegation, at least until corroborating evidence is provided.

Sharejoint
@fairpoint.com

Sharejoint

Anon

Not really news

It's kind of obvious. The regulators were shown a system that had orders flowing from start to finish, but once the actual cut took place, suddenly nothing worked right. And still does not work right. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but...DDUUHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to PaulHikeS2

Premium Member

to PaulHikeS2

Well, I did find it amusing that he said "Anonymous accusations without documented evidence are suspect....." and then followed it up with some pure speculation. "Probably the Union..." etc

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

From the sounds of it

I'm not being impressed about this acquisition. Fairpoint is supposed to be taking over Verizon's stuff here in Michigan sometime in the future.

Not looking forward to that, from what I've been reading. May have to go back to Charter cable when and if this happens.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to KrK

to KrK

ATT NEEDS CentWireless to cover MANY of their gaps in the Midwest, mainly in MI and Indy.

Cent will take and cover those without a problem, especially when CentWireless is the only provider expect for VZW (formally Alltel Wireless).

ATT isn't dragging their feet, they just want to make sure they can take CentWireless and some of Alltel Trust with them.

OUTAHERE
@comcast.net

OUTAHERE to cork1958

Anon

to cork1958

Re: From the sounds of it

LET'S MAKE THINGS SIMPLE. VERIZON HAD A COMPANY BOGGED DOWN IN HUGE DEBT. ITS LAND-LINE CUSTOMERS WERE LEAVING IN DROVES FOR WIRELESS SERVICE, LEAVING LITTLE HOPE OF RECOVERING THEIR INVESTMENT. FAIRPOINT COMES ALONG, PAYS SOME CASH AND TAKES ON THE HUGE DEBT. FAIRPOINT GOES BANKRUPT, THE DEBT PART DISAPPEARS IN BANKRUPTCY COURT, AND THE REMAINING DEBT FREE COMPANY IS SOLD OFF TO A RELIABLE COMPANY (THE WHITE KNIGHT) TO COME SAVE OUR DIAL TONE......IT WAS A WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN BY VERIZON. NO-ONE ELSE WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE ON SUCH A LEMON OF A COMPANY (PLANT-WISE) TO BELIEVE THEY COULD MAKE MONEY HERE. IT'LL BE A BARGAIN FOR SOMEONE VERY SOON........
OUTAHERE

OUTAHERE

Anon

THE UNION????

COME ON NOW......THE UNION COLLECTS DUES AND IN RETURN ITS MAIN GOAL IS TO PROTECT THE UNION MEMBERS(IE: THE DUES PAYERS) WHAT PURPOSE WOULD IT SERVE THEM TO DRIVE THE EMPLOYER OUT OF BUSINESS FORCING LAYOFFS OF ITS MEMBERS? THE UNION WAS AGAINST THIS BECAUSE THE MEMBERS HAD FIRST HAND INFORMATION ON THE DETERIORATING COPPER PLANT THAT VERIZON TOUTED AS BEING PERFECT FOR DSL...IT'S GREEN AND BLUE DISINTEGRATING COPPER THAT BARELY HANDLES A POTS LINE.....THEY WERE SELLING A LEMON AND CALLING IT LEMONADE....PUC'S DIDN'T LISTEN AND NOW IT'S THE UNIONS FAULT? TRY AGAIN.......