dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-09-03 15:20:57: Just as people were starting to notice that AT&T was getting very close to their end of summer deadline for offering MMS functionality on the iPhone, AT&T e-mails us to note they'll be launching the feature on September 25. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

End of summer?

Hookem99
Deep In The Heart
join:2007-07-18
Pflugerville, TX

Hookem99

Re: End of summer?

said by gigahurtz:

Remember though, at&t's HQ is in Dallas. We have summer here in Texas until October and November sometimes.
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

Re: End of summer?

said by Hookem99:

said by gigahurtz:

Remember though, at&t's HQ is in Dallas. We have summer here in Texas until October and November sometimes.
LOL

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

And

the cost will be??

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Re: And

said by Uncle Paul:

the cost will be??
It's included in the iPhone texting plan, no extra cost. That part was announced a while ago.
LowRider
join:2006-06-23
Dallas, GA

LowRider

So if I have a plan for texting there not goin to charge me for like 3 messages off my text plan there just going to see it as one text???? Anyone got any clarification on this

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

If you have a text plan that currently works with your iPhone(s) today it will include MMS at no extra change once that becomes available.
Chaldo
join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

Chaldo to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul
Free, why would they charge??

Sodoshi
join:2009-04-27
Canton, OH

2 recommendations

Sodoshi

Because they are at&t?
Chaldo
West Bloomfield, MI

1 edit

Chaldo

OH I see your point because they are AT&T right haha, wait wait so is this the same company that is going to start charging 9.99 for 25 mb of data and HUGE OVERAGE FEES on oh wait did I forget to mention a new section of PHONES!!! called "ENHANCED MULTIMEDIA" The new phones that will require a data package on them... omg omg wait that was verizon
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr

marketing

I can way to see the campaign... They will make it seem that this the newest thing for smartphones....

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

Re: marketing

and now you can copy and paste!

Oh, and a compass! It's amazing!
chemaupr
join:2005-06-06
Alexandria, VA

chemaupr

and when tethering comes... it will be like they have reinvented the smartphones, again... even though we have been doing it for years at no extra cost with some apps that, o yeah... are not banned and we can install in BB or Windows Mobile.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by chemaupr:

and when tethering comes... it will be like they have reinvented the smartphones, again... even though we have been doing it for years at no extra cost with some apps that, o yeah... are not banned and we can install in BB or Windows Mobile.
And jealous people like you will continue to bitch no matter what, so what does it matter?

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to tiger72

to tiger72
Hey, the compass is pretty cool. And RDP and the VPN client works. Now if I could find an SSH client I'd ditch my non wifi (boo VZ...hisss hiss) Blackberry.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by Eagles1221:

Hey, the compass is pretty cool. And RDP and the VPN client works. Now if I could find an SSH client I'd ditch my non wifi (boo VZ...hisss hiss) Blackberry.
my point being the compass isn't anything new. The G1 and MyTouch3g/Magic both have compasses, and were out months earlier.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Next up: Halfway decent 3G speeds in NYC

I'll take that over the MMS.

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT

Elite

Wow...

September 25th is Fall, not Summer.

LAWSUIT!!!!!!!!

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Re: Wow...

I was waiting for someone to say that.
gworkman
join:2005-10-18
Las Vegas, NV

gworkman

I'll wait

If this requires an update that will bomb my ability to tether then I'll pass. Hopefully, it'll just work.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Re: I'll wait

said by gworkman:

If this requires an update that will bomb my ability to tether then I'll pass. Hopefully, it'll just work.
Ummm.. you TOOK "the ability to tether" on your own, it's not like you were given it. Semptember 9th you'll get a 3.1 software update which will include the functions of Blue Tooth file transfers, ability to use the voice command via a push of a blue tooth headset, and MMS... Sorry, your jailbroken phone will have to go back to jail if you want the new feature.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Re: I'll wait

Why do you people even bother. You are paying top dollar to get stepped on and abused.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
Ummm.. you TOOK "the ability to tether" on your own, it's not like you were given it. Semptember 9th you'll get a 3.1 software update which will include the functions of Blue Tooth file transfers, ability to use the voice command via a push of a blue tooth headset, and MMS... Sorry, your jailbroken phone will have to go back to jail if you want the new feature.
+

hey my new 3GS is 3.1 The only MMS I have is the dumb sending it via email to a number at the other providers. Stupid and annoying.

And I can't upload photos to facebook with the mobile app.

SlickEnW
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Seattle, WA

SlickEnW

Premium Member

Hahaha

Nuts. Get off em.

Finally all the anti apple fanbois can focus on the iPhones lack of true multitasking (although one only has to look at the win mo platform to see why that is no good).

manfmmd
Premium Member
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX

manfmmd

Premium Member

Re: Hahaha

said by SlickEnW:

Nuts. Get off em.

Finally all the anti apple fanbois can focus on the iPhones lack of true multitasking (although one only has to look at the win mo platform to see why that is no good).
My Nokia E71x multitasks and the Palm Pre multitasks..

TCub
Premium Member
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

That's right. My Palm Pre multitasks beautifully. There is no reason it can't be done on other platforms, iPhone included.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 edit

AVD

Premium Member

Thats the only good thing about my winmo phone. But Iphone's lack of multitasking is a big dealbreaker?

P.S. who needs MMS when there is email and twitpic?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Wait for it...

I'm betting that MMS traffic does indeed skyrocket on the 25th or so...and I'll bet that AT&T's network turns on EPIC FAIL mode as a result. $10 says there will be serious capacity issues for the week or two after MMS is released.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

Re: Wait for it...

said by iansltx:

I'm betting that MMS traffic does indeed skyrocket on the 25th or so...and I'll bet that AT&T's network turns on EPIC FAIL mode as a result. $10 says there will be serious capacity issues for the week or two after MMS is released.
Really? I get about one a month, and that's usually one more than is welcome.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

It's the iPhone effect. According to the network naysayers, web sage skyrocketed when the iPhone came out. MP3 players came to their own when the iPod came out. Etc. etc.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by iansltx:

It's the iPhone effect. According to the network naysayers, web sage skyrocketed when the iPhone came out. MP3 players came to their own when the iPod came out. Etc. etc.
((head slap))
Of course, you're right. My MS-Mobile use of MMS might be a bit less cool or intuitive -- certainly not a predictor.

bigfitch
Premium Member
join:2005-06-01
Montgomery, IL

1 recommendation

bigfitch

Premium Member

Still to late

MMS support can be obtained with a simple config file sent to your iphone in ITunes. Took around a whole 10 minutes.

I wish I could get away with lies and cheating people like them.

»www.iphonehacks.com/2009 ··· -30.html

There ya go.

Bypass the main man and have it now

••••••

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Too little

too late.

Apple, call me when get on Verizon. Till then, you can keep your iPhone and AT&T crappy management.

••••••••••

DHRacer
Tech Monkey
join:2000-10-10
Lake Arrowhead, CA

DHRacer

Exclusivity?

"We support more iPhone customers than any other carrier in the world ..."

I thought they're the only one supporting iPhones, at least legitimately (with Apple's blessing)? Wouldn't anyone with an unlocked iPhone on any other network be outside of support just because of that and so whatever they got from riding a non-ATT network wouldn't be subject to supporting any iPhone features?

•••
jmallory
join:2005-11-02
Essexville, MI

jmallory

Read, Read, Read

Read the quote, "In the world..." iPhones are available all over the world...not just the United States. I have no problem believing that AT&T supports more iPhones than the carriers in other countries do.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Re: Read, Read, Read

I suspect that it will be short lived.
China Unicom has announced that it will be the vendor for the iPhone in China. They purchased 5 million units for selling, before the network is open.

»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 09-08-31

Fortunately, China Unicom is the 'smaller' company, and has only 141 million subscribers, vs 301 million in China Mobile

»www.cellular-news.com/st ··· 3029.php

manfmmd
Premium Member
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX

manfmmd

Premium Member

Can someone

please explain to me, in layman's terms, why MMS works on all other phones that are MMS capable on the AT&T network, but the iPhone had problems.

Is it technology related?

Is it capacity related?

Is it just AT&T being AT&T?

•••

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

The downside

Well - in order to take advantage of the NEW MMS functionality, we will have to install the iPhone software update - suprisingly due out at the same time.

The JOY of this update is it closes the loophole that allowed the iPhone to be used as a tether with the unlimited/no cap iPhone data plan.

Included in this update will be fixes to stop the trend of "jailbreaking" the iPhones. I suppose it wont take long till the creative folks out there get around the upgrade....

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: The downside

said by dellsweig:

Well - in order to take advantage of the NEW MMS functionality, we will have to install the iPhone software update - suprisingly due out at the same time.

The JOY of this update is it closes the loophole that allowed the iPhone to be used as a tether with the unlimited/no cap iPhone data plan.

Included in this update will be fixes to stop the trend of "jailbreaking" the iPhones. I suppose it wont take long till the creative folks out there get around the upgrade....
I am going to wait until the IPCC is released and then just upgrade that vs the actual 3.1 upgrade.
Chaldo
West Bloomfield, MI

4 edits

Chaldo

I doubt anyone cares, but people need to learn something...

I don't get why, so many people RIP on AT&T just because oh wait, bad reputation. Once they hear AT&T its "ewwwwww". Why? I happen to like how this company runs, it has way more freedom then Verizon in my eyes. I know people get mad at AT&T not being able to preform the way it should be, or crippled stuff, or mms/tethering being delayed, but if a company decided to go that route... maybe its for the best?

I know that the iPhone surge was way way to fast for AT&T to handle, and I don't care what anyone says I believe it. This would have been the same/ or worse if Verizon or any other US telco started out with it. Now, people who say AT&T cripples the iPhone so much, let me ask you one question... How do you think it would have looked on Verizon? Verizon just now has to put Wifi in the blackberry's because its REQUIRED not because they changed there mind... imagine no wifi.. what else? Anyone answer that question please??

Oh wait, and the recent data price up on Verizon, sickened me.... So why do you think this phone would do any better on Verizon, or Sprint, or T-mobile. This phone is a beast on DATA, not like other phones. So I hope people realize what I am trying to say, but honestly If no buddy wants to listen to what I say that's cool with me too.

One more thing, The call Dropping/ Quality.. on the iPhone problems I hear a lot. I am not saying AT&T has no part in this problem, but I think Apple has some issue in there end, I will sit next to my cousin with a iPhone and I have AT&T on my Blackberry Bold and my quality just KILLS his.

K I am finished.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

MMS - how quaint.

MMS - how quaint. Text prices are insane. I nixed that service a long time ago. In case you didn't notice, the Iphone comes with this newfangled service called "email". Screw MMS.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Re: MMS - how quaint.

said by nunya:

MMS - how quaint. Text prices are insane. I nixed that service a long time ago. In case you didn't notice, the Iphone comes with this newfangled service called "email". Screw MMS.
Ya know no one yelled at apple nearly as much as AT&T when apple said (on the first two Iphones I believe) the same thing.

Everyone that had one just "accepted it" as if Apple was god.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

Hopefully Google Voice Start's Supporting MMS

Hopefully Google Voice will started supporting MMS in addition to SMS. That will fix ATT's wagon.
visuelz
join:2003-05-01
Brooklyn, NY

visuelz

Sue

technically, one could sue AT&T for not upholding their end of the deal...

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30

Premium Member

Re: Sue

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Okay

I will believe it when I see it....

I've heard too many "hypes" so now expect disappointments.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

MMS?

I had to use Google to find out what "MMS" meant.

Damned cell phone acronyms!

As you can tell... I use phones only to, um, phone people.
dcdeadbeat5
join:2008-10-07
Washington, DC

dcdeadbeat5

Re: MMS?

said by TheMG:

I had to use Google to find out what "MMS" meant.

Damned cell phone acronyms!

As you can tell... I use phones only to, um, phone people.
Same here. I don't text message on my iPhone because it costs 20 cents per text message. Text messaging is the biggest ripoff of the century.
page: 1 · 2 · next