dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-09-11 11:03:47: After quietly soft launching their new video portal earlier this month, AT&T has now officially announced their new "AT&T Entertainment" video portal. ..

Chaldo
join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

Chaldo

Comcast also has something coming up

This is nice and all, but I think Comcast On demand online is going to be better, we will see.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Why not just to go Hulu?

Why not just go to Hulu? Because AT&T is obsessed (rightly or wrongly) with branding everything AT&T. Most of the large communications companies, Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast, all do the same thing.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Who wants clips?

Over and over, I see services offering movie clips or clips of TV shows? Why on earth would I want to watch a movie clip or a clip from a TV show? You get no plot or context whatsoever. It'd be like watching a TV where someone else is randomly flipping the channel every few minutes.

IMHO, this is the man reason these video services on the Web and cell phones fail: lousy content. Selling such a service is hard enough, given the ubiquity of TVs in public places and the other demands on our time, but when you also throw in crappy content, it's no wonder no one wants them. Hulu, YouTube, and Netflix are about the only one that's gotten it right, and that's because they offer things people want to see.

odment
Alrighty Then
Premium Member
join:2002-11-30
Warren, MI

odment

Premium Member

Just went to the site and looked. I like dragnet I watched it on hulu. So i just tried it on the att site. And it playes the movie from the Hulu site its even got the hulu markings on it.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

It is just hulu with an ATT skin.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to ISurfTooMuch

MVM

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

Over and over, I see services offering movie clips or clips of TV shows? Why on earth would I want to watch a movie clip or a clip from a TV show? You get no plot or context whatsoever. It'd be like watching a TV where someone else is randomly flipping the channel every few minutes.
I've only watched hulu a few times (Netflix I found is better for my needs), but all those times the episodes were the full episodes. They may not have the entire series so ongoing story lines may be harder to follow but it wasn't just a several minute clip of a movie or show.
greendesert
join:2009-02-19
West Mifflin, PA

greendesert

dont forget the bandwidth cap

How much could one watch with bandwidth caps being thrown by all the ISPs
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to cdru

to cdru

Re: Who wants clips?

Correct. As I said at the end of my post, Hulu is one of the few video sites that have gotten it right.

On the flipside, I once tried VCAST. I dropped it before the end of my free month. Other than a few news updates, I couldn't find much that interested me. Granted, that was several years ago, so things may have changed, but it didn't seem worth my time then.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to odment

Premium Member

to odment
said by odment:

Just went to the site and looked. I like dragnet I watched it on hulu. So i just tried it on the att site. And it playes the movie from the Hulu site its even got the hulu markings on it.
I use Hulu to watch old WKRP in Cincinnati shows. If you like some old comedy series that they don't show on TV anymore, this is the place to go.
paul7986
join:2009-09-09
Nottingham, MD

paul7986 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
This AT&T site reminds me more of Fancast.com (Comcast Online TV portal) then Hulu. At least on either Fancast or this AT&T TV site - CBS shows are included.

For me I watch online TV(mac mini connected to LCD TV) on Hulu, CBSnews.com/video, theWB , wbkids.com and sometimes ABC.com as not all ABC shows are up on Hulu yet. When I can't find anything on the mentioned I'll search YouTube for sitcoms, as many are on there, but broken into 3 parts. I use to use Joost and TV.com, but blah nothing on there interests me lately.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to greendesert

Premium Member

to greendesert

Re: dont forget the bandwidth cap

said by greendesert:

How much could one watch with bandwidth caps being thrown by all the ISPs
A ton, Hulu streams HD at 1Mbps. Most HD shows are 500MB or so.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Who wants clips?

I agree with you, I hate clips.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
Plenty of FULL length episodes:
»www.hulu.com/browse/alph ··· episodes

And fulll length movies:
»www.hulu.com/browse/alph ··· re_films

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to greendesert

Premium Member

to greendesert

the HD that Hulu uses is 480p. so i'm guessing that it uses a little more than half of what 720p would use. I can't wait until they get the nerve to actually have shows in 720p that'd be awesome!
PittsPgh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA

PittsPgh

Premium Member

Compared AT&T v Hulu

I just checked out both sites.
HULU Wins hands down!
The AT&T just plain sucked
Watched the same episode of Warehouse 13 on both.

AT&T = Lower quality, out of sync, jerky play. Unbearable to watch.

Hulu = Better quality, Better speed, insync, even turned on the closed captions no effect. Looked good even on the 40" flat screen TV.

Paul

Telco_Tech
join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH

Telco_Tech to ArrayList

to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

the HD that Hulu uses is 480p. so i'm guessing that it uses a little more than half of what 720p would use. I can't wait until they get the nerve to actually have shows in 720p that'd be awesome!
Not entirely true. They do support 720p already, there's just not much to pick from yet. Here's an example:

»www.hulu.com/hd/29272

"2.5 Mbps or higher" connection required...

- Tate

TCub
Premium Member
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

AT&T Blucks.

I'm not happy with anything AT&T does... I'll just stick to Hulu Desktop on my iMac and M17 notebook.