dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-09-23 12:05:13: Insiders involved with AT&T's belated launch of iPhone MMS support tell us that everybody's highly anxious about the launch, as the carrier rushes to beef up infrastructure in order to handle the added strain the functionality will impose on the carr.. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to beaups

Premium Member

to beaups

Re: Apple - King of Media

said by beaups:

the software has been there for ages, if you jailbreak. SwirlyMMS....
Qumahlin See Profile didn't mention that.

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to dlewis23

to dlewis23
The only problem is they would have to change the radio to make it work with T-Mobile HSDPA anyways. Still, I would rather see all phones including the iPhone on more networks than 1.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

baineschile to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72
said by tiger72:

How is Apple "King of Media" when it took them 3 years to enable the most basic multimedia feature on cell phones for over a decade? The Multimedia Message. Of course, leave it to Apple fankids to forget that, and only point the blame at ATT (which happily allows MMS for everyone else).
That was my dada/sarcastic point. The MMS feature was more of an ATT problem than apple.
baineschile

baineschile to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue

Re: Saturday Headline...

LOL
baineschile

baineschile to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23

said by dlewis23:

@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

Remember, apple first came to VZ for the iphone before ATT. There had to be a CMDA iphone in production to even pitch it to the carriers....

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw

Re: verizon would be the same

said by obeythelaw:

If carriers were reversed, verizon would be having the same problem.
That is simply speculation. Not that i am for or against any carrier over the other, but look at over seas carriers who have the iPhone and MMS already...they have no issues...but then again that is because there networks have been heavily upgraded and scaled with usage. Verizons network is larger from the coverage maps I have seen.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23

said by dlewis23:

@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

If anything I would expect them to go to T-Mobile and AT&T at the same time.

The only time I could ever see Apple going to verizon is when LTE is there primary network.
Apple has been known to pull surprises out of their bag. A large base of this country are on CDMA, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple took advantage of that over the next couple of years. It may not be on the 3GS, but that new iPhone that's coming out next summer, I'm willing to bet will be on more than just AT&T. Having phones on multiple providers has worked well for RIM.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to Maggs

to Maggs

Re: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!

I knw i'm gonna send massive MMS that day just to see if the network can handle it, LMAO!!!!

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile

King of Media? I suppose all you do is go to the Apple Store every day to hang out with people like you?

shortyd999
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul

Its good to be hopeful

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

Time to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

King of Media? I suppose all you do is go to the Apple Store every day to hang out with people like you?
iTunes is the largest music seller in the world. They manufacture some of the most successful portable devices that ALSO handle media.

shortyd999
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to theeinstein

to theeinstein

Re: Take it DOWN

i'm on board

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

true. however, i think part of it is that they have upgraded their networks and there are less users out there on those foreign carriers. att is so large that they are the largest mobile phone user base in the world when it comes to the iphone.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

tiger72 to Qumahlin

Premium Member

to Qumahlin

said by Qumahlin:
said by tiger72:

How is Apple "King of Media" when it took them 3 years to enable the most basic multimedia feature on cell phones for over a decade? The Multimedia Message. Of course, leave it to Apple fankids to forget that, and only point the blame at ATT (which happily allows MMS for everyone else).
It's simple. It's not an apple issue. I had MMS on my 2g iphone, I have MMS on my 3g iphone. It has nothing to do with the phone, its ATT...thats why "apple fankids" point to ATT.
And friends on ATT had MMS on their nokias and motorolas and samsungs for years, and continue to have them. On ATT. Hrmm, so it seems like that's not ATT's "lack of support".
Are you really under the impression the iphone hasn't supported MMS because of Apple? Do you see Apple mentioned in this article? Is Apple the ones running the MMSC servers? Is apple also operating on the side as a MMS aggregator that no one but you is aware of?
Ahh, yes the fankid comes out. The fact that ATT had to use a 3rd party solution for the iPhone (which is partially to blame for this mess) is apparently irrelevant. The first 2 years that the iPhone didn't support MMS was fine, but god forbid ATT have issues manually resetting people's iPhone-tagged accounts to direct messages back to the phones a few months after Apple (in their infinite wisdom) finally supports a standard that's been around for over a decade.
You do realize MMS is set in the CARRIER profile right? Last I checked Apple was not the carrier anymore than Motorola is a carrier.
And last I checked, the carrier (ATT) supports MMS on every other device.

If ATT was so concerned about data issues from MMS (which your iphone fanboi blogs like to contend), they could simply do what most network operators do: restrict the content size. downrez photos to 640x480, and limit video to 30 seconds (only on the 3gs of course, the first 2 iphones apparently can't do that very basic multimedia feature either).

Is ATT partially at fault for all of this? Yes. Is Apple? YES.

Only you fankids think that Apple's infallible hands are clean of this mess.
Chaldo
join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

Chaldo

iPhone data is crazy

The way the iPhone processes DATA is crazy. I believe if I used a iPhone excessively for a month I would pass the 5GB cap, because of the way it processes its data.
Expand your moderator at work
GameRadio
join:2008-04-12
Mesa, AZ

GameRadio to swintec

to swintec

said by swintec:

said by obeythelaw:

If carriers were reversed, verizon would be having the same problem.
That is simply speculation. Not that i am for or against any carrier over the other, but look at over seas carriers who have the iPhone and MMS already...they have no issues...but then again that is because there networks have been heavily upgraded and scaled with usage. Verizons network is larger from the coverage maps I have seen.
Ya but at least for me in the Phoenix Metro area. While Verizon has a large coverage area. For data it doesn't mean squat. When I am using data I need a fast connection not a large slower connection.

I left Verizon for the iPhone while others complain about ATT service I have had no issues. Full bars with excellent service at work. And all but one bar plus excellent service at home (when Im not on my wifi)

I had the official file on my iphone for awhile while MMS wasn't working it is now working as it seems that ATT has removed the block off my account for MMS.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to swintec

to swintec
While it is speculation, those in countries overseas have dedicated spectrum JUST for 3G, while in the Americas, spectrum has to be reallocated (i.e. taken from 2G capacity into 3G).

Verizon Wireless may have a larger physical network, but the key is spectrum and buildout. Some areas do not have a whole lot of spectrum (eg SoCal has 45MHz), some don't even have enough for 3g (Santa Fe has 20MHz), and some areas have tons (East Florida has 50MHz of cellular + ~20 MHz of PCS).

VZW does have an advantage having EVDO channels which are 1/4 that of UMTS/HSPA channels, and can be 'balanced' a bit better, as voice and data do not run on the same (1x = voice, EVDO = data), while on AT&T, GSM/GPRS =voice/data, UMTS/HDPA = voice/data.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to Time

Premium Member

to Time

Music seller? The slowly collapsing music industry now makes you a king of media?

And other devices that handle media? You mean the same way pcs handle media, or things like Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?

The only thing Apple is king of is overpricing things.
JessicaAlba
join:2009-09-23

JessicaAlba to S_engineer

to S_engineer
I hate AT&T.

I will have to keep using »interactiveiphone.com for MMS since it looks like AT&Ts servers are going to crash and burn!!

Seriously, what do you (AT&T) do with the $30 I send you every month???

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by JessicaAlba:

I hate AT&T.

I will have to keep using »interactiveiphone.com for MMS since it looks like AT&Ts servers are going to crash and burn!!

Bribes to politicians and executive pay

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

true. however, i think part of it is that they have upgraded their networks and there are less users out there on those foreign carriers. att is so large that they are the largest mobile phone user base in the world when it comes to the iphone.
But in the end, does it even matter what phone it is?

China Mobile has 500 million subscribers, yes, 500 million, more than the entire population of the United States. You never hear about them, but they're about to launch the iPhone.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· perators
flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

flyingjoey to Maggs

to Maggs

I guess I am a prepubescent girls hahahaha! Mind you I'm a 35 year old, 6'1", 190lb man.

Hey how many times I wish I could send my wife a picture of something I'm looking at, instead of sending it via email.

I've visited the Dominican Republic and Argentina recently and not only do they have multiple carriers who offer the Iphone, but they've also had MMS since day 1. now what are we missing here... Really... AT&T the almighty AT&T can't handle a little picture message.

If Apple were to come out with a CDMA version of the iphone I'd be the first 1 to get one. Also what's stopping apple from making a universal iPhone... really... CMDA/GMS/LTE/WiMax iphone. The technology exists... I'd pay an extra 100 bucks for an iPhone U4Gs.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

1 edit

Gbcue to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

said by JessicaAlba:

I hate AT&T.

Bribes to politicians and executive pay
Host delightful shareholder parties!

With your money, of course

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

Time to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Music seller? The slowly collapsing music industry now makes you a king of media?

And other devices that handle media? You mean the same way pcs handle media, or things like Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?

Obviously I can't argue with ignorance.
flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

flyingjoey to theeinstein

to theeinstein

Re: Take it DOWN

I had canceled my ATT service a couple of weeks ago... I could call them up to re-instate.

Let's picture & video mail the hell out of ATT. We have 3 years of MMS deprivation to catch on.
touchtone561
join:2007-12-10
Lake Worth, FL

touchtone561

The Call Centers should be nervous!

They scheduled a major release on a Friday, so all of our complaints can be routed to who knows where after hours.

I hope this goes well, but I feel that folks are going to beat the hell out of the system, just cause it is an overdue to feature.

My last 3G outage was a nasty experience, nobody new what was wrong.

And the billing system better be perfect with regards to MMS after all is done.

Good luck Ma Bell Remixed!

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

Metatron2008 to Time

Premium Member

to Time

said by Time:

said by Metatron2008:

Ignorance? You mean the same ignorance that got me a core i7 920, 6 gigs ram, and a asus p6t system with 2 1tb drives (1 internal, 1 external), at microcenter/newegg for less then $1,000 versus the $2,400 price for the same system on a Mac Pro?

Except the Mac Pro had worse ram and smaller hard drive.

If you count my entire system (Antec 900 case, $200 gtx 260), the amount comes to around $1600.

If that's ignorance, then what is not?
Cod2
join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC

Cod2 to Matt3

to Matt3

said by Matt3:

said by ThirdShifter:

said by Maggs:

Be prepared for the onslaught of MMS messages, AT&Ts network is going to take a serious dive when this functionality comes out. All the prepubescent girls out there will be texting like crazy. Imagine the data traffic on over 3 million iPhones per day, and the data overages $$$$ AT&T is going to be making so much money this quarter. I will not touch the iPhone as long as it's on AT&T, I don't want to deal with their billing dept.
Ahh it's the end of the world.. run!

ATT is just fine. The iphone is awesome. Sorry you're missing out, we all know deep down inside you want one.
I have one and I want to give it back. Not because I dislike the iPhone, but because I am at my wits end with the horrible AT&T service. If you think the AT&T network is fine, you've got blinders on. Here is yet another article posted yesterday, this time from CNET, detailing the AT&T network problems. It's odd her problems are a mirror of mine, even though she is on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast.

Yesterday I had 2 dropped calls and I just spoke to a friend for about 30 minutes and 3 or 4 times he said he couldn't hear me because of all the static -- yet I have full bars.
Matt- You are in the very small minority in the Triad area. I know at least 10 people from Winston to Greensboro who love their iPhones and have no issues at all, including me. I constantly get between 1-2mb throughout the Triad area on 3g. I know its hip & cool to hate on AT&T but I do question every time you post how horrible AT&T is... I don't see it in WS/HP/Greensboro.

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

Time to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

said by Time:

said by Metatron2008:

Ignorance? You mean the same ignorance that got me a core i7 920, 6 gigs ram, and a asus p6t system with 2 1tb drives (1 internal, 1 external), at microcenter/newegg for less then $1,000 versus the $2,400 price for the same system on a Mac Pro?

Except the Mac Pro had worse ram and smaller hard drive.

If you count my entire system (Antec 900 case, $200 gtx 260), the amount comes to around $1600.

If that's ignorance, then what is not?
The Mac Pro doesn't use an i7, it uses the Nehalem Xeon which are close to $1000 alone.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next