dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-09-25 12:50:33: Back in April we reported how Cablevision was launching 101Mbps+ connection at a $99 price point (albeit with a whopping $300 activation fee), a first for the industry. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Just do it

Just launch a 100mb service. If its about marketing, and you have the network to do it; market it!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

IIn what employees house?

Sure testing in whose employee home. All the bigwigs and maybe a few other lucky people to make it appear like a real test. Probably more of a way for the CEO and his friends to get the best while the customers get scraps.
Luminaris
join:2005-12-01
Waterford, VA

Luminaris

Keeping pace

How about faster speeds to keep pace with the rest of the world? Innovation? How about trying to outpace countries with much faster speeds? I guess that doesn't mean much to ISP's here in the U.S.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

Your points sound more like wants than needs.

Is keeping up with the Jones a reason to do it?
br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

br0adbanddoc

Hey America, look at our super mega fast network.

It sounds as though they're not exactly quite sure how to pay for the amounts of bandwidth that they're dishing out to high end customers.

Do I smell more layoffs?
Antonlm
join:2004-09-15
Birmingham, AL

Antonlm

100 Mbps will....

Only keep people glued to the computer feverishly looking for something, anything to download.
Luminaris
Waterford, VA

Luminaris to Mahalo

to Mahalo

Re: Keeping pace

said by Mahalo:

Your points sound more like wants than needs.

Is keeping up with the Jones a reason to do it?
So what's the point of other countries having 2-3X the speed we have then? Is it a need? That's what I wonder.
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

psx_defector to Luminaris

to Luminaris
said by Luminaris:

How about faster speeds to keep pace with the rest of the world?
Who gives a shit about the rest of the world? Just because some Korean WoW gold miner demands an 100Gbps optical connection shoved up his ass doesn't mean squat for Billy Bob in the backwoods of Virgina.
Innovation?
Is bendable fiber NOT innovation?
How about trying to outpace countries with much faster speeds?
See Korean WoW gold miner.
I guess that doesn't mean much to ISP's here in the U.S.
Just as the US market means squat to the rest of the world. The Australian and UK markets don't capitulate to demands from the rest of the world telling them to go unmetered. Belgium doesn't give a rats ass that some Sweedish pirate has fiber to the home. Someone from South Africa doesn't care that his neighbor country just to the north doesn't have ANY broadband.

Every market is different. And we are not the typical broadband user. Just because people on dslreports.com are clamoring for the 100Gbps optical link shoved up our asses doesn't mean that the users in Bumblefuck, VA demand it, or even someone next door.

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

1 edit

Shamayim

Premium Member

Ultra high entry fee is the reason

"Cablevision's nabbing only a small number of very speed-obsessed customers."

Cablevision's absurdly high $300 internet highway tollboth charge is what's keeping the number small. I myself, like many others I'm sure, can easily afford it but refuse on principle to fork over the ransom.

Dan Rayburn
@verizon.net

Dan Rayburn

Anon

50Mbps is overkill

I have Verizon FiOS. I used to have 50Mbps but went back down to 25Mbps as I could not find anything that worked better or faster with 50Mbps. For the average consumer, 25Mbps is more than plenty for now. Verizon is right, 100Mbps is simply wasteful and overkill.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to Luminaris

to Luminaris

With the speeds VZ offers now I think it is more important to keep the quality of service up (low/no outages, no slowness during peak times on their network) than trying to provide higher speed rates. If you ever get a chance to switch to Fios you will see what I mean. It just works...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

HD is still compressed a LOT

Or, allow "work from home" to be almost as if you were actually connected directly to the LAN there (IF the company also has such service, which I would doubt...).

The thought is funny though - some guy thinking he's reached the end of the internet, sweating profusely, eyes bugged out, desperately hoping that he can find that HD transfer of every scrap of footage taken somewhere, for some event, that got bootlegged by somebody, and uploaded to the intarweb

Seriously though, the capability to have better HD (less compressed) feeds to more locations on premises would be pretty nice to have. I don't know what they allocate to video, but if it were, say 100Mbps, you could have quite a few very good quality streams to HD devices (or computers - the difference is becoming silly - an STB or PC ought to be allowed to "tune in").

Blu-ray playback is what, about 40Mbps (compressed)? What if you could have the data side delivering 2 such streams?

That's compressed too... Imagine LESS compression, say instead of that, you could use 80Mbps for video. HD would look even more awesome...
Also, 1080p is NOT the be all and end all of HD. Already, people are looking at "quad HD" - which will require even more bandwidth. 3D video is also on the horizon, which again, will require more bandwidth, even at CURRENT resolution(s)...
Not to mention all the plans for more "interactive" services that may eventually happen. 2-way video would also need good bandwidth to work well (esp. if it were in HD!). The list goes on...

Even compressed at Blu-ray ratios, 3D, quad HD, any future display technology is going to take a lot of bandwidth.

Verizon has fiber - to people's houses. At least they'll be more prepared than others when the time comes to deliver...
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to br0adbanddoc

Premium Member

to br0adbanddoc

Re: Hey America, look at our super mega fast network.

Or maybe, the demand for 100 Mbps tiers simply doesn't exist yet. Given VZ's capacity and GPON architecture, I would expect them to be leading the charge with a $200+/mth tier if the demand actually existed.
openbox9

openbox9 to Shamayim

Premium Member

to Shamayim

Re: Ultra high entry fee is the reason

If a requirement exists, the $300 fee isn't a barrier to entry at all. What does it cost to set up a 100 Mbps port in a carrier hotel?
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to amungus

to amungus

Re: HD is still compressed a LOT

uh no one is ever going to offer uncompressed video when its digital..... MPEG2/4 are always going to be compressed some even at the highest bit rate... and HDTV standard runs at what 18-25 Mbit?
br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

1 recommendation

br0adbanddoc to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: Hey America, look at our super mega fast network.

I do tend to agree with you on whether or not there is a true mainstream need for 100Mbps of internet bandwidth.

100Mbps is awesome for multiple HD or SD streams which they're using for their TV service, but finding reliable sources of servers willing to push 100Mbps are rare. Even more rare is a typical consumer who would know the difference between 10Mbps and 100Mbps. Usually consumers view services in three different levels. Those levels being; working well, working okay or not working.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to neufuse

to neufuse

Re: HD is still compressed a LOT

HD runs between 9-17 Mbit, depending on whether you get it via sat (most compressed), via cable (middling) or via OTA (least compressed).

1080p video is HUGE uncompressed; you need USB 3.0 to transfer it to a computer...
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

Verizon is Smart!

I like what they are doing.

They know tech savy and ping conscience people will stick with FiOS, especially for reliable connections, no offence, I also believe OOL is great from most of my experience using the service.

But now think about this:
They will let the most bandwidth consuming hogs go, and remain on Cablevisions network, bugging them down, and costing them the most $$ while Verizon stays put with what it has and doesn't worry as much as the hogs.

Makes sense doesn't it. SO in the end who is really losing

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

It's OK

ATT is still offering up to 3mb DSL here.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Fiber competition would fix this

Of 50/20 vs. 101/15, I'd get 50/20. Or 35/20. Cable currently can't get 20 Mbps up 100% of the time, so Verizon has the edge there. Not that they particularly want customers paying $100 for a connection, then proceeding to download 5TB per month over it.

That said, if there were competing providers laying out fiber infrastructure, there would probably be more speed/price wars. At that point limitations of the infrastructure are so high that providers can offer pretty much whatever speeds they want at low marginal costs...
Luminaris
Waterford, VA

Luminaris to psx_defector

to psx_defector

Wow, just, WOW. Dude, you got issues
JesseHarris
join:2008-07-30
Sandy, UT

JesseHarris

100Mbps is too much?

Give me a 100Mbps connection and I'll show you just how little it really is.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList to psx_defector

Premium Member

to psx_defector

said by psx_defector:

said by Luminaris:

How about faster speeds to keep pace with the rest of the world?
Who gives a shit about the rest of the world? Just because some Korean WoW gold miner demands an 100Gbps optical connection shoved up his ass doesn't mean squat for Billy Bob in the backwoods of Virgina.
Innovation?
Is bendable fiber NOT innovation?
How about trying to outpace countries with much faster speeds?
See Korean WoW gold miner.
I guess that doesn't mean much to ISP's here in the U.S.
Just as the US market means squat to the rest of the world. The Australian and UK markets don't capitulate to demands from the rest of the world telling them to go unmetered. Belgium doesn't give a rats ass that some Sweedish pirate has fiber to the home. Someone from South Africa doesn't care that his neighbor country just to the north doesn't have ANY broadband.

Every market is different. And we are not the typical broadband user. Just because people on dslreports.com are clamoring for the 100Gbps optical link shoved up our asses doesn't mean that the users in Bumblefuck, VA demand it, or even someone next door.
Hi Ignorant America! Haven't talked to you in awhile.
ArrayList

1 recommendation

ArrayList to Dan Rayburn

Premium Member

to Dan Rayburn

Re: 50Mbps is overkill

ok. i get your argument about anything > 25mbps is overkill.

but explain to me why the connection that I have at the Office, which is symmetrical 100mbps, is so much better than my 18mbps service at home?

I seriously don't see how companies can say that there is no difference when I use the faster service and I obviously see a difference. a HUGE difference if i may be so bold.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

Cablevision's 101 Mbps+ is a parlor trick!

said by Karl Bode's article :

Given the product is the marketing equivalent of a drop kick aimed squarely at Verizon's face, it wasn't surprising to see Verizon quickly downplay the offering, calling it little more than a "parlor trick."
It absolutely is a Parlor Trick. If these were doors, Cablevision's product would be made out of mosquito mesh and Verizon's would be made out of oak.

In Cablevision's land, no two customers on the same node can access 101 Mbps at the same time. They've taken the "up to XXX Mbps" concept to it's extreme.

In Verizon's land, consumers can have confidence that they will access the speeds that they are sold, despite their neighbor's use.

Let's reward Verizon for calling a duck a duck when the duck really is a duck!

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

No reason to hurry.

I'm perfectly happy with one of their lowest tiers (15/2). Verizon's got that reliability thing going for 'em, which has always been more important to me than speed - particularly "phony" speeds you'll never reliably achieve, or that come in "bursts", or that you just plain can't get because the plant is noisy (which is all I ever got from Verizon's competitor).

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt to Luminaris

MVM

to Luminaris

said by Luminaris:

So what's the point of other countries having 2-3X the speed we have then? Is it a need? That's what I wonder.
Residential speed is a chicken N egg problem.

Application and service providers are not going to develop applications that need very high speed until there is a large enough population of users to justify it. If we were all still constrained to dialup most of the applications and services we take for granted today would not be practical.

Video libraries and video on demand is very demanding. HD feed requires about 15 Mbps. For a family of four the sweet spot is 100 Mbps. 3-D when it happens will need even more bandwidth.

Telecommuting is popular but often limited by how quickly data flows between employee and office.

New immersive games and virtual reality all require high capacity fast connections.

Ultimately the upper bound is driven by human physiology and compression algorithms.

/tom
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

Sammer to ArrayList

to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

but explain to me why the connection that I have at the Office, which is symmetrical 100mbps, is so much better than my 18mbps service at home?
Probably because your advertised 18mbps at home is a "best effort" service that isn't anywhere near that consistently while your office is paying lots of money for a "guaranteed" service level.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Forget 100 Mbps, I'd be happy with regular Fios!

Because, apparently, right smack-dab in the middle of urban northern VA / DC suburbs, I'm too far "out there" to get Fios to my apartment. Comcast internet is something like $55 just for 10/2 where I am; because there is no competition, there are no price breaks.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to Dan Rayburn

Premium Member

to Dan Rayburn

said by Dan Rayburn :

I have Verizon FiOS. I used to have 50Mbps but went back down to 25Mbps as I could not find anything that worked better or faster with 50Mbps. For the average consumer, 25Mbps is more than plenty for now. Verizon is right, 100Mbps is simply wasteful and overkill.
I definitely had no problem using all 50mbs when I had the 50mbs tier. But I dropped my tier to the 25/15(although I wish they had the 35/20 tier here) in protest of them screwing my speeds up in June. I regularly maxed out my 50mbs connection when I had it.
And i do miss it when it takes me twice as long to download a 5GB or 6GB movie from Xbox Live or PSN or other large files online that would max out my conne ction. PSN would almost always max my 50mbs connection and XBL would hit 40mbs to 50mbs.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next