dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-10-05 12:15:16: Following closely behind the Mobile WiMax launches of their spun-off Clearwire unit, Sprint this morning announced that they've launched "4G" wireless broadband services in ten additional cities. ..

nocapsprint
@89.wightman.ca

nocapsprint

Anon

no Caps??

Might be no caps now, but it must be coming. There is no such thing as 'unlimited' or 'no caps' anymore.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

said by nocapsprint :

Might be no caps now, but it must be coming. There is no such thing as 'unlimited' or 'no caps' anymore.
There is still no caps for Sprints EV-DO if your grandfathered in (they use to be unlimited) like I am. So down the line they could put caps on the service once they see there is to much load on the towers like they did with there 3G service.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to nocapsprint

to nocapsprint
Is actually no caps or one of those unlimited but limited lies these companies are always putting out?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Is actually no caps or one of those unlimited but limited lies these companies are always putting out?
I wish Karl would get it right in his stories on Sprint. There is no caps on handset data plans. The caps are for laptop data cards and phone as modem plans. The data packs for use as phone browsing is still unlimited.
gworkman
join:2005-10-18
Las Vegas, NV

gworkman

Maybe you should check your facts before blasting Karl. He is correct. Even with the USB modem, 4G access is not capped. Check the link below to see a side by side comparison, then submit your apology.

»nextelonline.nextel.com/ ··· up.shtml

Important 4G coverage and plan information
Why buy Sprint 4G? It's just plain faster and now available in select cities. With the 3G/4G plan and USB modem, you get the best of both worlds, plus unlimited 4G access.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by 88615298:

I wish Karl would get it right in his stories on Sprint. There is no caps on handset data plans. The caps are for laptop data cards and phone as modem plans. The data packs for use as phone browsing is still unlimited.
Well I don't really care about handsets since one is unikely to go over 5 GB anyways. I'm more concerned with the data card/phone as modem. So yeah it kind of matters if there is cap or not.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

Oh BOY!

The next time I'm in Killeen-temple I'll make sure to use my 4G card there!

Now how about Los Angeles, Sprint?

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to gworkman

Premium Member

to gworkman

Re: no Caps??

said by gworkman:

Maybe you should check your facts before blasting Karl. He is correct. Even with the USB modem, 4G access is not capped. Check the link below to see a side by side comparison, then submit your apology.

Why buy Sprint 4G? It's just plain faster and now available in select cities. With the 3G/4G plan and USB modem, you get the best of both worlds, plus unlimited 4G access.
Huh? When i said there was no caps on 3G service, i was speaking about phone data plans only. I specifically said caps are for laptop data cards and phone as modem add on plans only, but browsing on your phone is still unlimited.

Previous stories on Sprint in the past were worded as though all data plans (phone only or otherwise) had a 5 gig cap which isnt the case. Todays story came off as that to me, but as I re-read it, it is evident he MAY have just been talking about data cards and phone as modem.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to gworkman

Premium Member

to gworkman
said by gworkman:

He was talking about 3g. Try to pay attention next time you rush to bend over for Karl, he doesn't need your help.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:
said by swintec:
said by 88615298:

Well I don't really care about handsets since one is unikely to go over 5 GB anyways. I'm more concerned with the data card/phone as modem. So yeah it kind of matters if there is cap or not.
Possibly, but what if you simply tether to your phone, undetected?

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

said by swintec:

yes i thether my pre using the mytether app and I am way over 5GB ~30 for this month and last month and still nothing, no charges no difference in speed. I average around 1.5/500.

Jameson
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
united state

Jameson

Premium Member

What the fuck

Where is San Diego..

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

1 recommendation

digiblur

Premium Member

said by Jameson:

Where is San Diego..
It is still in the Southern region of California

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Where...

Where is San Antonio? Thought San Antonio was also getting 4G this year. Hopefuly it comes out later on this year.

Jameson
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
united state

Jameson to digiblur

Premium Member

to digiblur

Re: What the fuck

said by digiblur:

said by Jameson:

Where is San Diego..
It is still in the Southern region of California
Aha!

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen

said by chlen:
said by swintec:

yes i thether my pre using the mytether app and I am way over 5GB ~30 for this month and last month and still nothing, no charges no difference in speed. I average around 1.5/500.
I hope usage like that does not drive them to add a cap or worse, somehow outright block tethering in some form. While I do tether undetected every so often, it is rare and is more a convenience thing.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

said by swintec:
said by chlen:
said by swintec:

I hope usage like that does not drive them to add a cap or worse, somehow outright block tethering in some form. While I do tether undetected every so often, it is rare and is more a convenience thing.
I use it at work to bypass the company firewall. So virtually every day.
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown

4g in Amarillo...

4G in amarillo, Yeah, but wait 3g here is 1x....

They suckered me into another contract with my pre saying anyday we'll get 4g and you will have fast speeds then. Wait The Pre doesn't have a 4g radio. Lying piece of craps.

SHABAZZ
join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA

SHABAZZ to chlen

to chlen

Chlen, where can I get this app? I just bought the Pre and thats one app I have to get.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by SHABAZZ:

Chlen, where can I get this app? I just bought the Pre and thats one app I have to get.
Good question! and does it work on Windows Mobile?

RocketChild
join:2003-11-24
Round Rock, TX

RocketChild

Claiming Cities?

Looks like they are setting it up in cities that are large enough to classify as a 'city' without having to setup the most cell towers. For Texas cities, they left out all the bigger ones with larger populations.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen to SHABAZZ

Premium Member

to SHABAZZ

said by SHABAZZ:

»www.mytether.net/
»www.precentral.net/how-t ··· rew-apps

Install FileCoaster, you can grab whatever from that.
Nesse
join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL

Nesse to RocketChild

to RocketChild

Re: Claiming Cities?

said by RocketChild:

Looks like they are setting it up in cities that are large enough to classify as a 'city' without having to setup the most cell towers. For Texas cities, they left out all the bigger ones with larger populations.
Or it could just be that the roll out of more towers would mean more work, which means more time. So smaller cities would go online first.

Chicagos the nations 3rd largest city? and WiMax roll out is expected this month if Im not mistaken, and by the end of the year for sure. So they arent avoiding larger pop cities.
Nesse

Nesse to AricBrown

to AricBrown

Re: 4g in Amarillo...

said by AricBrown:

4G in amarillo, Yeah, but wait 3g here is 1x....

They suckered me into another contract with my pre saying anyday we'll get 4g and you will have fast speeds then. Wait The Pre doesn't have a 4g radio. Lying piece of craps.
There are no phones out with 4g radios, where did you get this idea?

4g is strictly with mobile broadband at this time and its got limited areas.

paloduro
join:2004-02-09
Amarillo, TX

paloduro

I think he is saying for those of us in Amarillo and Lubbock , we don't even have 3G service for our Palm Pre yet. You can get 4G for your laptop but your 3G phone is out of luck. If you look at the coverage map, West Texas is the last of the populated areas that don't have 3G service.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to Nesse

to Nesse

Re: Claiming Cities?

said by Nesse:

said by RocketChild:

Or it could just be that the roll out of more towers would mean more work, which means more time. So smaller cities would go online first.

Chicagos the nations 3rd largest city? and WiMax roll out is expected this month if Im not mistaken, and by the end of the year for sure. So they arent avoiding larger pop cities.
I smell a telco based shill....again.