dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-10-08 08:01:53: Users in our Cable One forum point out that the cable operator is tinkering with some of their speeds, adding a 12 Mbps downstream, 1.5 Mbps upstream plan to their lineup. ..

Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance

Holy cow this cap would kill me!

I don't download video often, but when I do it's usually in HD.
ONE FILE would bust these caps wide open!
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

1 edit

jimbopalmer

Re: Holy cow this cap would kill me!

said by Dissonance:

I don't download video often, but when I do it's usually in HD.
ONE FILE would bust these caps wide open!
They are daily caps, so about 30 movies a month.
Also, download just before midnight, as they only effect the day you are in.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to Dissonance

Premium Member

to Dissonance
We've been playing Netflix movies via our Roku box a lot. Now I don't know how big the standard Netflix movie is, but I'm guessing that playing it for 6 hours would easily top those caps.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Better than Comcast's caps.

11,000Mb X 30 Days = 330,000Mb = 322GB/month
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Re: Better than Comcast's caps.

As a former Cable None sufferer and victim, I can tell you that there is no way the Cable None network could deliver that much data in a month, let alone a year.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx to battleop

to battleop
Umm, No.
Total (assuming 12mb/sec plan) would be 1.8TB/month (more or less)

Do the math
Assuming you set your downloads to go from 12:00am to 12:00 pm, at 10mb/sec, you could get about 50GB/day (without going over cap). Then, use the next 11GB (about 2 hours) until you hit your cap (or get close). That gives you about 61GB/day, without going over the cap.

61GB/day translates to about 1.8TB/month. That's WAAAY better than Comcrap's 250GB/month.

Remember, whenever you are dealing with a 'capped' service, be it comcrap or whatever, the money you PAY gets you xxx number of bytes. With comcrap, it doesn't pay to get more than 1.5mb/sec of bandwidth, because at 1.5mb/sec, you can still use 250GB/month. I would MUCH rather have a time based slowdown, which if you DON'T violate, you won't be penalized, than have a HARD CAP to the number of bytes I can download.

Remember, you can only get CUT OFF, if you VIOLATE the caps. If you download between 12:00am and 12:00pm, THERE ARE NO CAPS, thus there is no violation. Damn, If I could get 50GB/day, every day, from 12:00am to 12:00 pm, that's a MUCH better deal than having a TOTAL CAP of 250GB/month. It's not that hard to setup your computer to only download at full speed for 1/2 the day, AND you get 7 times the total number of bytes per month you would get from comcrap.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

11,000Mb X 30 Days = 330,000Mb = 322GB/month
That's only during the period of measurement.(12Noon to Midnight)

Outside that period is it unlimited?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: Better than Comcast's caps.

Then that makes it even better. Well at least cap wise.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

I have the solution:

Let's simplify their chart in one easy statement.

YOU PAY US $$$$$$ LOTS OF $$$$

We DELIVER NOTHING BUT INFERIOR SERVICE, DOUBLE TALK, AND NONSENSE...

YOU PAY US $$$$ LOTS OF $$$$

Thank you,

"Technical Support / Billing" - Cable One
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Customers need accurate tools to determine usage.

This is not going to happen soon. Customers need regulation that requires an ISP that ration data throughput via CAPS to provide an accurate tool to determine usage. The tool should be in the form of a web page that allows customers to accurately see the amount of data throughput and the number of days left in the measurement cycle, at any time during the measurement period. Customers accessing the web page should not be charged for usage to access the web page. The web page should be made the customers home page so they could see if they were reaching their limit whenever they launch their browser.

The other important issue is to exempt security related downloads from being charged against the customers CAP. What incentive do consumers have to maintain the security of their systems when doing so limits the desired use of their allocation. The customers of wireless carriers with very low CAPS are particularly susceptible to using up their allocation through routine maintenance of their system.

It would be simple to implement the exemption. The IP Addresses of security update websites would be registered as security related exempt. The ISP's would be required to add filters that would prevent data downloaded from those websites from being added to the customers usage. The filters should also prevent customers from being charged for connection overhead related to their connection such as cable modem polling.
jc10098

jc10098

Re: Customers need accurate tools to determine usage.

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?
There is high competition in the DC area, FIOS doesn't have any caps, but Comcast still does.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Comcast has caps regardless of market. I'm counting myself fortunate about this, since Qwest is so darned slow around here yet I still get DOCSIS 3.
jc10098

jc10098 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
And I bet Comcast doesn't fair well in the DC area =)
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I have Comcast in DC because it's better than Verizon DSL. Actually, the data part is great. The TV picture quality sucks, the channel lineup sucks. The HD DVR is sweet.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

3 edits

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by jjeffeory:

Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?
DC area includes northern VA and part of MARYland. Several million people. The Distict of Columbia itself only has several hundreds of thousands of people. The majority of people that live in the DC area live in Virginia and MARYland.
And both of those areas have a high penetration of the FIOS footprint.
dl_us
join:2009-02-28
Phoenix, AZ

dl_us to jc10098

to jc10098
Areas of high competition have more customers, which equals more capital. If an ISP deals mainly with RURAL customers, they may not have enough capital available yet. Also, our president passed a bill to help fund upgrading the infrastructure of all the ISPs in America... cuz they all suck one way or another.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I don't want to pay for advertisements either. All those little graphics in a web page. I don't want to pay for pings, DOS, etc... If they're going to play that game, I'm not paying for any of these either. Nor will I pay for SPAM...
Screw that!
dl_us
Phoenix, AZ

dl_us

Firefox + adblock = problem fixed.
dl_us

dl_us to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
Yeah, they have that... you can check your bandwidth usage at »myaccount.cableone.net
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Upload Caps Suck

Actually, download caps do, too.

3 Mbps can upload less than 5GB per month during peak hours.
5 Mbps and 8 Mbps can upload less than 7GB
10 Mbps tops out at 14 GB
12 Mbps is 41.5 GB at most

Granted, you can probably schedule around these caps, and the cap on the 12/1.5 plan for downloads is 330GB per month during peak hours (better than Comcast). However I think I'm not alone in saying that the upload caps are quite low.

Also, all things considered, the caps on business plans up through 12/1.5 are rather low, though businesses probably won't get impacted due to daily usage cycles. 20/2.5 service has an 838 GB peak-time ownload cap per month and a 138GB upload peak-time cap so it's not all bad, but I'll bet the service costs a fortune. Any ideas on its price?

At least CableOne now has a tier with 1.5 Mbps upload speed though...
jdjbuffalo
join:2004-01-17
Denver, CO

1 edit

jdjbuffalo

CableOne's Service

Their caps aren't half as bad as their throttling. That is what I always run into and get me all worked up.

For example, last night I downloaded Windows 7 DVD from TechNet. It is 3,000MB. The download was suppose to take 2 hours at about 600KBps. Only problem is that I hit the 2250MB cap when it was at 60% done. So they cut my speed down to about 285KBps and it takes now takes over 3 hours to complete.

Another example is watching "HD" streaming shows online. If I sit down and watch 2-3 hours at a time then I'll reach their cap. When this happens I start to get stuttering problems which basically requires me to stop watching what I wanted to see.

For things that I don't need right away, I like their 12am-12pm unlimited use. It would be nice to see others, like Comcast, implement this feature.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Caps?

Pfft. Threshold caps perhaps.. but I know a few people who have downloaded anywhere from 300-500 gb per month on a residential package from them WITHOUT account termination/phone calls.

It's not something I'd encourage, but if they don't bug you, I guess you're not hurting anything (Unless your node is crowded)

I don't make it anywhere near that much mind you (I average around 80-100 gb) but Comcast's 250 gb vs. Cableone's ??? cap; or cable one's threshold caps vs. Comcast's no threshold caps (Er, wait.. don't they already employ a throttling system now?)

Comcast still seems cheaper though as well.
chuckie1
join:2006-06-05
Gulfport, MS

chuckie1

cableone convoluted wording

here's my explanation of their goofy wording.

for my 5Mbps plan, "standard speed" is defined by cableone as 2.5Mbps. basically, "standard speed" now replaces "throttled speed" and "extended speed" is the speed tier you pay for.

now that i've read the article, i'm sort of wondering if they've changed things and now i am only supposed to get 2.5Mpbs between 4pm and midnight even when i'm not throttled.
dl_us
Phoenix, AZ

dl_us

Re: cableone convoluted wording

Once you've hit the quota, the throttling isn't enforced until 4 PM.... or at least that's what I got out of it.