dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-11-02 17:48:08: Back in May, Verizon announced they hoped to sell another huge chunk of their DSL and landline network to Frontier. The $8.5 billion deal would infuse Frontier (which currently has 2.3 million customers) with 4. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Wrong Carolina

In the headline.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Deal still needs more approvals before it is a go

The Federal Communications Commission and state regulators in Arizona, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Washington state and West Virginia also must approve the transaction.
Still a long way from all needed approvals.

Will Frontier still go forward if 1 or more states doesn't agree?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

When is the last time any big deal in this country was stopped or even seriously hampered by regulators?

vzdollars
@iastate.edu

1 recommendation

vzdollars

Anon

Verizon's not just selling, they're buying too...

After all, we have the best regulators money can buy!

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

Re: Deal still needs more approvals before it is a go

said by Karl Bode:

When is the last time any big deal in this country was stopped or even seriously hampered by regulators?
I can think of a couple railroad mergers(CSX/Conrail was one) stopped by regulators. And Worldcom/Sprint merger was denied by DOJ in 2000 and the parties gave up rather fight DOJ in court.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx

Of COURSE it's going to end up in bankruptcy

Verizon, of course, has PAID OFF THE REGULATORS. PERIOD. There is NO WAY in hell frontier can survive with $5 BILLION of new debt. I however, have a MUCH better idea.

Carolina, California, and Nevada should change the 'pole tax' that verizon pays to $1000.00 per pole per year. That would make the value of verizon's investment in these states, umm, let's see. LESS THAN $0.00 Guess what, Verizon won't pay it. And guess what, the states can then SEIZE the assets to pay the back tax liabilityr. THEN the state government can start up their own MUNI networks, with ALL the assets for FREE. I guarantee you, even with the inefficiencies of a muni, they would provide MUCH better services at MUCH lower prices if they could start off with a FREE infrastructure. If that happens, then EVERYONE WINS (except the fat cats at verizon and the shareholders. Oh, noo... boo hoos for them)
Expand your moderator at work

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to karlmarx

Premium Member

to karlmarx

Re: Of COURSE it's going to end up in bankruptcy

said by karlmarx:

Verizon, of course, has PAID OFF THE REGULATORS. PERIOD. There is NO WAY in hell frontier can survive with $5 BILLION of new debt. I however, have a MUCH better idea.

Carolina, California, and Nevada should change the 'pole tax' that verizon pays to $1000.00 per pole per year. That would make the value of verizon's investment in these states, umm, let's see. LESS THAN $0.00 Guess what, Verizon won't pay it. And guess what, the states can then SEIZE the assets to pay the back tax liabilityr. T
You already proposed that ridiculous idea once today. Maybe CUBA or Venezuela would do it, but not any rational gov't not ruled by a dictator.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to FFH5

to FFH5

Ohio will be next. There has never been a deal Ohio hasn't liked before. This won't be the first.

AbBaZaBbA
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA

1 recommendation

AbBaZaBbA to karlmarx

Premium Member

to karlmarx

said by karlmarx:

Carolina, California, and Nevada should change the 'pole tax' that verizon pays to $1000.00 per pole per year. That would make the value of verizon's investment in these states, umm, let's see. LESS THAN $0.00 Guess what, Verizon won't pay it. And guess what, the states can then SEIZE the assets to pay the back tax liabilityr. THEN the state government can start up their own MUNI networks, with ALL the assets for FREE. I guarantee you, even with the inefficiencies of a muni, they would provide MUCH better services at MUCH lower prices if they could start off with a FREE infrastructure. If that happens, then EVERYONE WINS (except the fat cats at verizon and the shareholders. Oh, noo... boo hoos for them)
we should also charge a 100% tax on all profits from fast food companies. Soon they will all be bankrupt and the government can get them for FREE and give us all cheap food. EVERYONE would win (except those that don't)
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4 to FFH5

to FFH5

which with MCI/WorldCom came their fall.
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

1 recommendation

sides14 to karlmarx

to karlmarx

You want the people who bring us deficits and big government to seize assets and provide service. Please tell me you are joking. If not, show me one government program that is successful and within its original budget.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

1 recommendation

EPS4 to karlmarx

to karlmarx
I think we should steal all of YOUR property. Surely there's some ridiculous way we can try to justify it. And then EVERYONE WINS. (Except for you, I guess, but I'll just cast you off as a "fat cat" or something so we can ignore any of your complaints)

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

oh god no...

California, Nevada and South Carolina ok huge sale.

HEAD ASPLODE

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
·AT&T Wireless Br..

CaptainRR to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

Look who owns MCI/Worldcom now: Verizon. The reason why I am commenting on the CSX/Conrail merger was it was way more complicated than most think it was. I wont go into much detail on it here this is not the place for it but it amost bankrupted CSX and NS. I work for CSX and we went through some rocky times for a couple of years after it.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to karlmarx

to karlmarx

I have a better idea. Let the Frontier deal go through, with the stipulation that the network reverts to municipalities if Frontier declares bankruptcy. Number one, it gives Frontier a BIG incentive to keep above water. Number two, if Frontier keels over we suddenly have city-run networks. That's what everyone wants, right?
iansltx

iansltx

Bonded ADSL2+ Annex M with AdrenaLine

Due to landline defections, Frontier should have plenty of copper pairs in any given area. So pair-bonded DSL from that perspective will be no problem. Swap out equipment at the headend, put some AdrenaLine boosters mid-line and you've got a system that will pump out 20/5 DSL at 15,000 feet from the CO. 10/5 is doable at 19,000 feet, and a basic 1.5/512 tier (better than mobile broadband) would be doable at over 24,000 feet. Sell 1.5/512 for $25 per month, 20/5 for $70 and another tier or two in between and you've got a decent business model.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

NOCMan

Premium Member

Pathetic

All the outrage about government bailouts for companies, but wheres the rage about tax evasion

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to karlmarx

to karlmarx

I have a better idea. Require that the money paid to Verizon go into an escrow account for one year. If by the end of that year Frontier has not declared Bankruptcy, the money gets released to Verizon. Otherwise it gets paid to Frontier [with the debt being handed back to Verizon] or goes into the Bankruptcy Assets Account. Verizon wants to play accounting games to offload the debt, they should be at risk if the offloading fails.

jimmay76
Premium Member
join:2003-02-11
East Providence, RI

jimmay76 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: Bonded ADSL2+ Annex M with AdrenaLine

Ian that is a very real solution, there is alot of empty copper out there

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan

Re: Pathetic

its not tax evasion if Verizon gets the buying company to pay it for them.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to iansltx

to iansltx

You think they will pay for the DSLAM firmware to do that? lol

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to jimmay76

to jimmay76
Andthus will never happen, as it makes sence, and commone sence a telcos dont mix RE:AT&T u-Verse

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive

Re: Pathetic

How about the tax burden on:

-Reverse Morris tax penalties forgiven (lost revenue as Verizon bails out)
-Lost revenues to layoffs (NE market lost ALOT of Verizon folks long after states were promised "new jobs", ratables and other expectations
-unemployment burden to local government tax base
-Bankruptcy claims that ultimately hit the taxpayer (using up federal and judicial resources to benefit not you or I) ... Does Fairpoint have to pay taxes if its Chapter 11?

I smell something bigger here...
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
It's not tax evasion if the tax laws legally allow the transfer debt/assets during the sale
openbox9

openbox9 to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL

A couple of even better ideas. Regulators stand up and disapprove mergers if the deal(s) really are destined to fail. Change the tax laws that allow tax efficient transfers of assets if they actually are bad for business.

Don't blame VZ for effectively conducting business.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

California

What areas in CA? The northern half of our rural county of Mendocino is served by Verizon (formerly GTE, formerly Contel of CA).
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

But they sometimes do mix RE:VZ FiOS.
iansltx

iansltx to patcat88

to patcat88
One can only hope...

rawgerz