spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-11-06 14:24:41: Somewhat lost in the news coverage of Clearwire's accelerating launch of Mobile WiMax markets is a simple question: does the service actually work well? As we noted a few weeks ago, there's a significant number of new Clearwire customers in our forum.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

Sounds like this could play into the hands of MSOs

It certainly makes Comcast's combination of a cable modem in the house and Clearwire everywhere else more compelling.

openupshop

join:2000-11-25
Chandler, AZ

So much for your 4G Wimax LMAO

Just read the reviews they are terrible. I will wait for LTE!

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
said by openupshop:

Just read the reviews they are terrible. I will wait for LTE!
Which will suffer exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Test your Broadband connection today! -- »measurementlab.net/

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to openupshop
Not all the reviews are bad. This user is consistently getting over 10Mb downloads. »Official November 2009 Speed and Ping Test!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Wireless coverage indoors always a problem

This is hardly surprising. Wireless coverage indoors, whether 2G; 3g; outdoor WiFi; or Wimax is and always will be a problem at legally permitted transmit powers. Solutions are femtocells; external antennas(like many fixed wireless providers use); and stronger &/or many more transmitters.

Femtocells are probably the cheapest most reliable solution, but that assumes you have landline broadband in the house. Which sort of defeats the point of 4G Wimax(and later LTE), which will be sold as a landline replacements.

So, I guess external antennas may be the only way to sell Wimax( & later LTE) as reliable landline replacements for residential use.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

Frequency too high for indoor reception

Clearwire operates on a 2.5 GHz licensed band. That's just too high for reliable indoor reception in many cases; e.g., it's far above the frequencies used by broadcast TV, even the highest UHF channel. No wonder those Low-E coatings on those windows block it.

It's gonna need an outdoor antenna for reilable reception. Fortunately the FCC OTARD rule will cover these antennas as well, and you'll be able to install one no matter what your Homeonwers' Assoication thinks of it. You're still SOL if you live in an apartment, though. That's only one of several reasons to get out of an apartment and into a real house, though.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Automate

Re: So much for your 4G Wimax LMAO

said by Automate:

Not all the reviews are bad. This user is consistently getting over 10Mb downloads. »Official November 2009 Speed and Ping Test!
I did too, when I was in Portland. I had triple-paned glass, but no metallic coating (which coupled with the foil backing of fiberglass insulation tends to turn the room into a Faraday cage).
--

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to funchords
It won't. LTE in the US will use 700MHz. The problem here isn't with the tech. It's with the frequency used. There's a lot of bandwidth, but it doesn't go through walls.

Wonder if Clear could make an outdoor mounting kit for their fixed moderm? Methinks that would solve the problem.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to FFH5

Re: Wireless coverage indoors always a problem

Femtocells may not be the solution, but indoor-mounted picocells could be.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to FFH5
As pointed out in this thread »Clear vs. Energy Efficient Windows (Motorola Modem) the solution is an enclosed modem with PoE.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Automate:

As pointed out in this thread »Clear vs. Energy Efficient Windows (Motorola Modem) the solution is an enclosed modem with PoE.
Of course, ALL of the potential solutions add additional cost. The laptop would have a built-in or a USB Wimax/WiFi device for mobile access. But if you want to also use Wimax in many apartments at home you will need an external modem or antenna, etc. as well.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to FFH5
That, and the solution is to use materials that *gasp* don't have ridiculously high absorption in spectra that are also becoming increasingly important for communication.

This seems to be a growing trend. Look at California: "Oh hey, we can reduce the temperature in cars by a degree centigrade by adding what amounts to metal to the coating"

Oh hey guys, it also happens that you're literally creating a faraday cage *and* a polarizer for wavelengths used for cellular coverage.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 recommendation

reply to iansltx

You would think that they could/would sell it like an appliance:

1. Mount antenna externally
2. Run cable to unit (low loss cable)

I don't see why they couldn't. Companies like Wilson Electronics sell CDMA / GSM/ iDEN repeaters and amplifiers.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

meh37II

@verizon.net
reply to PDXPLT

Re: Frequency too high for indoor reception

Most of these types of newer windows I've seen fold in for cleaning. I don't think it would be too hard--or too expensive--to make an antenna that would apply/install to the outside of the window to facilitate getting a strong signal. It could also be next to "invisible" even if you were looking right at it from more than 3 or 4 feet away from it.

iansltx

Austin, TX

1 recommendation

reply to en102

That's what every other WISP does...

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

It won't. LTE in the US will use 700MHz. The problem here isn't with the tech. It's with the frequency used. There's a lot of bandwidth, but it doesn't go through walls.
My bet is that it still fails. The article says that it works with the window open and fails with the window shut due to a silver coating on the window. That problem will cross the band.

On the positive side, I'd bet that his neighbors' hotspots interfere with his less than normal.
--

mikecoatl

@bellsouth.net

Big Problem

Non of the home modems or usb card have a port for antenna so we clear customer cannot even get wimax antenna I was pretty angry thank god i didn't sign a contract!

expert007

join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY
reply to funchords

2.4GHz has the same problem with big buildings that have that reflective coating on them. This isn't just a WiMax issue.

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

Clear: What, me worry??

It's true that the reviews on Clear are varied, but there seems to be more grumbling about the service than about average, mainstream services available. But what really gets me is Clear's blind eye, deaf ear to all the criticism. There is no acknowledgement to the problems with the new WIMAX; all you hear is how super fast and cool it all is. What a crock.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to expert007

said by expert007:

2.4GHz has the same problem with big buildings that have that reflective coating on them. This isn't just a WiMax issue.
2.4 GHz has problems penetrating buildings, coating or not. (700 MHz is no panacea in that area, either.)

The question here is, is the problem with the wavelength versus the building material's absorptive qualities or is it the electrical conductivity of the window coating?
--

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

It won't. LTE in the US will use 700MHz. The problem here isn't with the tech. It's with the frequency used.
UHF television frequencies don't go through all walls either. Concrete, stucco with metal lath, foil backed insulation and probably a few other things can all stop 700 MHz from getting through. While lower frequencies may bend around obstacles better the fact remains that the cable TV industry began because of bad reception.

vlad1000

join:2005-05-19
Brooklyn, NY

what i don't like about clear is their lack of know how

WHY IN THE WORLD DOES THE CLEARSPOT DEVICE LACK AN ETHERNET PORT FOR HOME NETWORK???? INCOMPETENCY? I THINK SO...

SuperWISP

join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

WISPs can only laugh at Clearwire's bumbling

WISPs have known for decades what Clearwire apparently doesn't: "low-E" windows contain metallic compounds that reflect microwaves! And Clearwire's spectrum -- hoarded for years by Sprint/Nextel -- isn't good at penetrating buildings, leading to slowness and customer complaints.

I've said this before, and I will say it again: Clearwire is the next Metricom. If I or someone else with real wireless experience were running the company, it might be possible to turn it around... maybe. But only maybe. It may be locked into an untenable business plan.

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX

Shocking this wasn't solved in trials

OP here

I talked with the tech that showed up to test my claims and I asked why they didn't see this coming? I know for a fact they did almost a year's worth of testing in Dallas before this launch. How on earth could they miss this?

None of the home-based modems have an external antenna port, so unless I set this modem outside on my balcony exposed to the elements, it's unusable.

I predict this issue will be THE major issue that will ultimately cause the failure of the home-broadband-alternative side of Clear...unless they come up with a solution ASAP.

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

Clear as sole internet

How many would or have made Clear their sole internet access? For mobile and the home service.

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
reply to SuperWISP

Re: WISPs can only laugh at Clearwire's bumbling

I think they know about some of these problems, that's one reason they had the special in-home modem designed was to improve reception in doors.
--
www.aimless.us - irc.aimless.us channel #fix

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

I get 1-2 bars

and it works fine for me. Getting what I am paying for with a low latency that can handle some online games like gta4 and l4d.
--
High speed internet is on my road thanks to Clear 4G! F$*% you AT&T and TWC!

vlad1000

join:2005-05-19
Brooklyn, NY
how about skype or other voip applications?? how is that working out for you?

AstroBoy

join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD

1 recommendation

reply to funchords

I was wondering when someone would say Faraday cage!

I was wondering when someone would say Faraday cage!

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX
reply to neftv

Re: Clear as sole internet

I was hoping to! I realize they could be just as bad as my only other choice here (Time Warner), but competition is good for everyone. The price was lower than my current TWC service and the upstream speed (1Mbps) was faster than my current tier. I was hoping competition would start pushing that upstream from TWC higher...