dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-11-24 18:28:41: 40% of the money consumers pay into the Universal Service Fund goes to fund the FCC's E-Rate program, which was designed to help deliver telecom services to unserved areas, and deliver broadband service to libraries. ..

prev · 1 · 2
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey

Re: What's your malfunction?

said by rcdailey:
said by Chris 313:

Lack of bandwidth! Ooh, poor libraries. You would think that places like that would have a heavy duty Biz account or an Enterprise fiber line.

Also things like that make me glad I have my own line and computer at home.
I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but when local government has to make cuts to balance the budget, one of the first things to get cut is the library budget. Fat chance getting more money for internet connections except for generous donations from fat cats. Those fat cats are getting mighty thin these days.
Yep. The entire State of Hawaii Public library system is in grave danger of being shut down because of such heavy slashing of funding. The libraries were already operating on a shoestring and these are the libraries that serve all Hawaii public school students as well as the public. Very sad situation. You don't think the libraries are thinking much about broadband do you? They are just trying to survive by cutting open hours even more heavily, cutting staff to the bare bone, cutting book buying drastically, etc. Broadband is the least of their concerns. The situation is so severe that the libraries have resorted to begging the public for funding support. If not successful, many will close and in Hawaii that is especially a critical thing as we are so isolated. Yes, the internet has helped change that but what about those who don't have a computer at home and those who do but cannot get anything other than dialup ( a huge number of users on this island) and now the libraries may be closing and so no internet there even.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

no brainer...

An internet connection be it qwests 1mbit/256kbit or cablevisions 101mbit/15mbit connection is not a huge expense when compared to an overall library budget.. We're talking a low of $30 a month to a high $150 a month. Sometimes, governments get special rates for libraries. The USF isn't specifically tied to funding library access. Although, way back when (1990s) there was a big push to make EVERY school/classroom & library have computers & internet access, if not broadband itself.

There might need to be another infusion of cash since that computer equipment will be banging on 10 years old, if they haven't invested money to upgrade it yet. Broadband should have gotten marginally better in speeds, if not in price. Though these lofty goals pale in comparison to money saving BANKS, INSURANCE COMPANIES, CAR COMPANIES, THE OIL INDUSTRY SUBSIDIES/TAX BREAKS, etc. If we spent 1/1,000,000th the money on libraries.. every one would have a slew of quad core computers and the best broadband connections offered by telco/and/or cable (but don't expect that to happen, unless your ready to pony up more money in your real estate taxes).
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000

Premium Member

This isn't surprising....

As I have continued to follow mises.org I have uncovered more truths and infos.. from reading articles about the Feds and government ineptitude in general..

None the less this news still makes me go.. *picture related* copyright to whoever created it..

kieranmullen
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

kieranmullen to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029

Re: I work as an it admin at a library

Sounds like overkill. Do you use voip on that bandwidth to save on costs?

JLL
@sbcglobal.net

JLL to Chris 313

Anon

to Chris 313

Re: What's your malfunction?

I work at an Illinois Public Library and the biggest problem is how much companies like At&t charge. We have a T1 line which seems good but when you have three computers connected over the internet for library work and at least five people using the public computers and then a couple on the wifi your bandwith is gone. The E Rate program seems really great but requires to many hoops. Their is tons of paperwork and deadlines. And you have to file certain things with the government throughout the year then when the year is up start all over and file new paperwork to continue with the program. They know your a public library just give us the funds and make sure we use it to boost bandwith.
prev · 1 · 2