dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-11-30 13:59:04: Despite the best efforts by creditors who didn't like the bankruptcy conditions, Charter Communications has announced that the company has exited Chapter 11 after filing for bankruptcy back in March of this year. ..

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Neil Smit

Why is this man still CEO? He received $7.4 million cash compensation for 2008.
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074

Re: Neil Smit

Yah he has been there too long. Charter is nothing but a revolving door for inept execs that can get an awesome contract with a huge golden parachute, perform their job with the least level of skill and intelligence, get fired, profit. Neil must not has got the memo on this process.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

1 edit

tim_k

Premium Member

said by ender7074:

Yah he has been there too long. Charter is nothing but a revolving door for inept execs that can get an awesome contract with a huge golden parachute, perform their job with the least level of skill and intelligence, get fired, profit. Neil must not has got the memo on this process.
I bet a lot of other top level executives get nice retention bonuses too.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

1 edit

ToxicDrew to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Their going to enhance my bill come January 2010

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Hey they have to pass the debt to some one and pay those lawyer fees. And Charter customers are perfect for that. They still remain billions in debt and keep sinking.
said by ToxicDrew:

mattniemu
join:2008-04-08
Waupaca, WI

mattniemu

I think they will rise prices on alll packages. it will suck for poeple on basic like i am for now until i got dish. I am only paying 25 dallor a month for that. I use to have the other package but it cost alittle too much like 55 dallors for up to 80 channels. i can pay 55 dallors for 250 channel on dish plus better music channels then that music choice crap. Charter kiss my ass. Charter you can pipe more debt down that tube you dump ass. Charters iq is 5 and not really really really smart how they can make a network and company work.
RWOTB
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04

RWOTB to ToxicDrew

Premium Member

to ToxicDrew
said by ToxicDrew:

Ditto.
SunnyFL8
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08

SunnyFL8 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

Charter 11 ? Whah?

just_asking
@charter.com

just_asking to Robert

Anon

to Robert
said by Robert:

Because he did exactly what he was hired to do under the terms of his contract. Save the company from going under and successfully emerge from Chapter 11 with a positive cash flow. Simple as that really.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Charter lives on...

I'm disappointed Charter wasn't sold to the highest bidder. It's really the bottom of the cable barrel and their HD offerings are paltry compared to satellite or other cable companies.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Re: Charter lives on...

said by morbo:

I'm disappointed Charter wasn't sold to the highest bidder. It's really the bottom of the cable barrel and their HD offerings are paltry compared to satellite or other cable companies.
You realize Charter would just be split between Comcast and Time Warner, like Adelphia was?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

said by morbo:

You realize Charter would just be split between Comcast and Time Warner, like Adelphia was?
.. and that would be a problem?

Comcast and Time Warner service is FAR superior to that of Charter...

just_asking
@charter.com

just_asking

Anon

said by fiberguy2:

And you say that based on .. ??
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by just_asking :

said by fiberguy2:

... you'd have to be living under a rock to ask that question.. I won't dignify it with an answer.
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23

My HD offering is not as bad as other areas. I only have it because of the 24mo Price Guarantee. I still have Directv HD for NFL Sunday Ticket.

just_asking
@charter.com

just_asking to fiberguy2

Anon

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

said by just_asking :

said by fiberguy2:

... you'd have to be living under a rock to ask that question.. I won't dignify it with an answer.
Thought so.

Smile__
Premium Member
join:2008-10-10
New Freedom, PA

Smile__ to just_asking

Premium Member

to just_asking
Work for Charter lately? lol
RWOTB
Premium Member

RWOTB to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Really? My son has TW and is not happy with it. My friend's parents have had Comcast and dropped it due to horrible service and tech. support.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by RWOTB:

said by fiberguy2:

Really? My son has TW and is not happy with it. My friend's parents have had Comcast and dropped it due to horrible service and tech. support.
Yup.. and that's enough to base a decision on... don't pay attention to things like the lack of customer support that Charter has... (the very reason they're in the mess they are in) or the fact they are FAR more expensive that other providers, the lack of VOD, the lack of HD, the lack of internet speeds, the lack of serviceable areas, the lack of equipment options, the fact they are behind in technology and convergence, lackluster DOCSIS 3.0 service, or the fact their telephone service is rated one of the worst....

.. shall I go on?

Hey, I've had TWC, and had both good and bad service.. I have Comcast and for the most part it's been very good. They rank higher in the ratings, both TWC and Comcast.. they have more money to invest, and do.

... but you want to rebut me becuase your son isn't happy with TWC (no reason given) and your 'friend's parents' HAD comcast due to horrible service and tech support..

You're a classic example of one end of the spectrum.. there are more than 50% of the customer base, at least, that are satisfied with the services they have.. so what I'm saying is that your examples are in the minority.

When you rank a service, IN WHOLE, it's not always based on a personal experience or two.

My comment, original post that is, remains the same. Also, I'm intelligent enough to understand that yes, they did have service issues.. there are always going to be some people that have non-favorable results.. that's life... but it doesn't change the fact that TWC and CC are far more superior that Charter - any day.
RWOTB
Premium Member

RWOTB

Premium Member

Geez, I didn't realize every post had to have exact details and personal opinions based on a certain number of people.

Did I say I thought Charter was great? I have not. I am commenting based on what I know of other people's experiences, including my own. People also rate services based on personal experience - not "in whole". (Did I not just read your personal experiences in your post?) Furthermore, not every single customer has rated their service with each and every company (since you seem to want exact numbers).

I didn't say you were wrong, nor was I questioning your intelligence. I was simply saying not everyone shares your viewpoint regarding Time Warner and Comcast. As you mentioned in your response, everyone has different experiences and opinions and you have perfectly stated, "That's life."
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Where you are wrong in this case is the fact that *I*, the one who made the OP, is talking about an industry as a whole.. entities as a whole... and here you come in with a response/rebut trying to discredit my post with a personal experience...

And, I'm sorry, too, becuase when we're talking about a topic, ON CONTEXT, many users like to come in with ambiguous statements like you made about a person experience and the fact that you simply had problems and don't like them.

Seriously, what that sounds like in a discussion is when you have your parents talking with friends about something large, and the kid comes in and says "I made a picture out of shells"... (I say this in the kind of in the spirit of Simon Cowell)

You just said "I didn't say you were wrong"...well, you didn't say I was right. When you're talking in a group, especially on line, one has to put a little more effort into what they are saying in their post. While what you're trying to say may make sense to you, to the rest of us, and especially the one that has not only made the OP, shaping the context of the thread, the post was mine.. one has to respond TO that, or be ready to get a reply like mine, from someone that IS interested in talking about a topic.

So yes.. in THIS discussion, the context is about the industry in whole.. ie: TWC and Comcast is FAR superior over Charter".. and then you tried to refute it by stating, in general, that becuase of a "personal experience" you don't believe that... You also come in and made an assertion that I said "every post" had to have exact numbers.. etc".. um... well, I didn't say it, but in this case, you're the one who made the bland statement.. based on the context of this tread.. you remain incorrect trying to force your side..

.. sorry.. it's how I see it. And, if we were apply proper communication skills here, you're mostly in the wrong here.. not that it's about right or wrong.. I'm just saying, you can't expect someone like me, who DOES put a lot into this posts, to not say something in return.. I'm talking about red apples, you're talking about green ones... you're not talking oranges.. just a different color of that apple.

To sum it up, easily.. I AM talking about the industry at whole.. you're not.
RWOTB
Premium Member

RWOTB

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

trying to discredit my post with a personal experience...
I questioned your extreme FAR Superior statement because of personal experiences of people I know. No sarcasm was used. Sorry if you felt it was implied.
said by fiberguy2:

trying to force your side..
Umm, no I'm not. You're the one that has taken such exception to my post as opposed to your views.
said by fiberguy2:

You also come in and made an assertion that I said "every post" had to have exact numbers.. etc"..
said by fiberguy2:

When you rank a service, IN WHOLE, it's not always based on a personal experience or two.
I guess this statement was what lead me to make an ambiguous statement - or two.
said by fiberguy2:

many users like to come in with ambiguous statements like you made about a person experience and the fact that you simply had problems and don't like them.
Yep. That's what forums are for - many can post - not just you. You did note your personal experiences with Time Warner and Comcast. The facts I stated involved experiences my son and my friend's parents had.
said by fiberguy2:

one has to put a little more effort into what they are saying in their post. While what you're trying to say may make sense to you, to the rest of us, and especially the one that has not only made the OP, shaping the context of the thread, the post was mine.. one has to respond TO that, or be ready to get a reply like mine, from someone that IS interested in talking about a topic.
said by fiberguy2:
said by just_asking :
said by fiberguy2:

Than you had better follow your own posting rules.
said by just_asking :

Thought so.
...and you better blast this person as well for not posting to your specifications.
said by fiberguy2:

And, if we were apply proper communication skills here,
said by fiberguy2:

Seriously, what that sounds like in a discussion is when you have your parents talking with friends about something large, and the kid comes in and says
Try applying proper communication skills and get your facts straight when you post. My son is an adult - I did not call him a "kid". I was referring to my friend's parents. My parents are dead.

To the OP, I'm sorry this has gotten off-topic.
Expand your moderator at work
Poetique
join:2007-08-05
Auburn, AL

Poetique

I might need a bucket...

I almost feel like crying about this... I really... REALLY, wanted Charter to die.

Focused on FURTHER enhancing the customer's experience?

You have to start in order to further enhance it.

The only thing they've enhanced is the lightness of my wallet and the instability of my internet connection.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

Re: I might need a bucket...

10 bucks say they file for chapter 13 next year.
Poetique
join:2007-08-05
Auburn, AL

1 edit

Poetique

said by zpm:

10 bucks say they file for chapter 13 next year.
I hope so lol. Let's all start a petition to switch ISPs so charter can finish dying haha.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

i'm with knology even if their slow to roll out docsis 3.0, sooner the better i hope.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to zpm

Premium Member

to zpm
I'll take that bet.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to zpm

Premium Member

to zpm
Please send me 10 bucks right now.. they won't be filing another bankruptcy for a while... I believe they'll be putting themselves up for sale, however... with lighter debt, they'd be easier to off themselves.
raIDERspeed
join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA

raIDERspeed to Poetique

to Poetique
Same here I'm never gonna get a high speed from now! I'm stuck with ATT forever!

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to Poetique

Premium Member

to Poetique
said by Poetique:

I almost feel like crying about this... I really... REALLY, wanted Charter to die.

Man, I could not agree more. I live on a road that is 3 miles long and T's into roads on each end. These clowns ran cable from each end of the road past fields right up the first home on each end of the road. Now, thats great for those 2 homes, but these idiots left the 1 mile in the middle, where the rest of the homes on this road are, without service.

For multi thousand dollar blunders like this, Charter has no business in business. I sure was hoping for an influx of brains and cash....but it looks like that is not going to happen.

Well, heres hoping they don't last too long.....
mattniemu
join:2008-04-08
Waupaca, WI

mattniemu

Hi

I agree with you on that.

Matt

toddbs98
join:2000-07-08
North Little Rock, AR

toddbs98 to Poetique

to Poetique
I feel your pain I was hoping they would die off and either Cox or Comcast would take over the area in which I live.

nobody
@rr.com

nobody

Anon

Broadband for life

What about the broadband for life winner?

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

Re: Broadband for life

said by nobody :

What about the broadband for life winner?
March 2008. winning bid was $71,540.

»Charter 'Broadband For Life' Auction Ends With $71,540 'Winner' [35] comments

Axekick
join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
·Charter

Axekick

To be fair . .

Based on my personal service with Charter over the years their service has greatly improved in nearly all aspects over the past 3 years.

Their telephone support and telephone customer service still sucks but otherwise I have no complaints. My speeds are constantly above what they are suppose to be and my television and internet signals are down probably less than 12 hours per year.

The support they provide here at dslreports.com has been excellent based on my one experience using them. I do resent having to barter my cable bill every time my promotion is up but they were very helpful here at telling me the lowest price I could get on my existing services.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

2 edits

cork1958

Premium Member

Never had a single problem

Don't know about all you people's problems, but I had Charter internet for over 9 years. Never a problem and great service.

Don't give a crap about tv, but even that has been perfect, considering all I have is expanded basic.

Yes,
I switched to Verizon DSL, but that was due to Charter threatening caps and the fact that the Verizon package I got was $7 cheaper and 2.1mb's faster download and 256kb's faster upload.

Yes,
I know Charter has way faster speeds, but I'm not one of those have to have it just because I can kind of people. I live within reasoning, unlike so many Americans, and will NEVER pay over $40 a month for internet. To me, that is just plain stupid and/or greedy.

Hpower
join:2000-06-08
Canyon Country, CA

Hpower

Inc price hikes

Here we go guys. They didn't die and now it's time to make customers pay I bet the modem rentals is the first area. Prob wil go to $12 a month. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go to that.

DOS
@charter.com

DOS

Anon

Re: Inc price hikes

MODEM RENTAL ARE NOW 5 STANDARS ACROSS THE BOARD

Hpower
join:2000-06-08
Canyon Country, CA

Hpower

Re: Inc price hikes

said by DOS :

MODEM RENTAL ARE NOW 5 STANDARS ACROSS THE BOARD
YUP WE ALREADY KNOW THAT! THANKS FOR YELLING ER TELLING US!