spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-12-01 13:08:18: You'll of course recall that back 2008 we were the first to report that Comcast was implementing a clear 250 GB usage cap for all users. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i suppose

now i will have monthly 1.99 meter usage maintenance policy..
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Re: i suppose

Doubt it. Comcast's internet division is trying to be the good guy these days. This also works in Comcast's favor because it's a lot easier to do something close to hard-capping when you have an on-site meter.
jimbo2150

join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

1 edit

said by iansltx:

Doubt it. Comcast's internet division is trying to be the good guy these days. This also works in Comcast's favor because it's a lot easier to do something close to hard-capping when you have an on-site meter.
If they were the good guys they would not be implementing caps. Demand increases, yes you are going to get a few heafty users. Wouldn't it be better to push them into a faster, pro tier and invest in infrastructure than prevent anyone from going over X amount? From what I hear, heavy users normally don't or barely effect most companies bottom lines. Now for the future you are at the mercy of Comcast to decide how much bandwidth you should consume... So in the future demand will be controlled by companies that do this and demand stats in the future will be skewed by people starting to worry that that they will end up with a $3,000 bill for going over on their... wired internet? Moving backwards are we?

At the same time, website owners and content distributers are at the mercy of companies that cap because they now have to worry about their users going over their caps. Limited bandwidth, restricted limited competition, destroyed innovation.

In the end this is too jerk more cash out of customers and prevent competition from online video sources.
--

- "Techie" Jim

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

I still think it's fair to have a high cap that allows a company to differentiate between residential and business service -- bumping huge downloaders onto a more expensive power or business tier.

It's the shift to low caps and high overages on top of a fixed monthly cost model I don't like -- for reasons I think I've blabbered about extensively. Should Comcast move to that model I think it's fair to give them a kick -- especially when they begin the expected tirade about how it's necessary because they're just so financially pinched...
jimbo2150

join:2004-05-10
Euclid, OH

said by Karl Bode:

I still think it's fair to have a high cap that allows a company to differentiate between residential and business service -- bumping huge downloaders onto a more expensive power or business tier.

It's the shift to low caps and high overages on top of a fixed monthly cost model I don't like -- for reasons I think I've blabbered about extensively. Should Comcast move to that model I think it's fair to give them a kick -- especially when they begin the expected tirade about how it's necessary because they're just so financially pinched...
I think you missed one of my main points too. Say it's 2025. Did Comcast raise it's caps with demand or were caps responsible for lowering demand? Like I said, with caps it can prevent people from using some services online and in the end you are at Comcast's mercy as to what services you use because of the bandwidth limitation.

I think in the end variable-rate billing based on how much you use (no overage caps) would be best, but with limited competition in many places they would be free to charge people a lot more per-byte than they even do now...
--

- "Techie" Jim

toddbs98

join:2000-07-08
North Little Rock, AR
When are they going to bring out these high caps of which you speak? 250 gigs is not a high cap.
--
Patriots always speak of dying for their country never killing for it. Bertrand Russell

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium
join:2002-03-05
I have never, and will never, agree that caps of any sort are a good thing. Comcast has proved time and time again that they're a crappy company with shady motives at best. This may be what finally prompts me to go somewhere else for my internet services, and finally give Comcast the permanent boot from my home.

Perhaps it's time to start talking to my town again about rolling out their own high speed internet too. I wonder how long it will take Comcast to swoop in with their legal department and try to shut that discussion down, so they can ensure that they continue to have the monopoly and thus the ability to raise prices at whim without the slightest bit of increased value to consumers and eternally poor customer service.
--
To all liberals: I am NOT one of your parents, so get the heck out of my wallet. It's time for you to grow up and take some personal responsibility for taking care of yourselves, which means not relying on the government to give it all to you.
Expand your moderator at work
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
I totally disagree with you Karl. There is no excuse for caps. If such a small, tiny segment of the market is using so much bandwidth, how much would it cost Comcast to just split the appropriate nodes where those users are located and thus deal with any congestion?

This doesn`t even take into account that bandwidth does not cost the ISP anything in aggregate. They purchase it based on peak usage. The granny watching youtube at 8 pm is just as much as a congestion issue as the torrent user at the same time. Caps don`t actually do anything but prevent people from actually using their connection.
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1 recommendation

The caps ARE to push them to a more expensive tier: business class. Which has no caps and costs a reasonable amount as business cable connections go. On 22/5 residential and going over your 250GB cap? Spend $25 more and you're good to go.

If we were talking about a 50GB cap on a $50 tier I'd be with you, but I'm on the heavier side of the spectrum and use between 120 and 200 GB on an average month. I have no problem telling folks who run heavy-duty servers and/or torrents out of their home to pony up the additional few bucks for a biz class connection.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

sorry but 50 for 50 is crazy

if your using 120-200gb a month comcast's soft cap doesn't effect you

infact its well known that there are people using 1TB a month without a call
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Correct on all counts; the likelihood of a Comcast call is inversel proportional to the congestion of your node. I'm on a D3 system with four channels bonded so I'll bet I could hit 300-400GB and not hear a peep from Comcast. It all has to do with capacity; 38 Mbps of capacity doesn't go very far, but 152 Mbps (or 190 Mbps if you have five channels available, which I think is the case here) goes a decent ways even with heavy users on the network.
sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH

And if there`s congestion on a node they should *split it*. The cost of splitting a few nodes is nothing to them, just a drop in the bucket. That`s their obligation as a monopoly/duopoly internet provider.
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

No it's not. Their obligation is to shareholders to make money. They're a publicly held company and anyone can come in and compete against them. It's just expensive.

That said, they *area* doing node splits, but that takes time. In the meanwhile people who would use their connection like a dedicated line need to be kept in check. No matter what you want to think, dedicated circuits are expensive.
tthnow

join:2006-06-07
Oakland, CA
said by DarkLogix:

sorry but 50 for 50 is crazy

if your using 120-200gb a month comcast's soft cap doesn't effect you

infact its well known that there are people using 1TB a month without a call
I disagree...I been suspended for a year for their so called cap abuse.
Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
I'm glad the local power company does not decide to throttle my electric usage because "I use to much".

Pope
Premium
join:2001-08-05
Napa, CA

said by Stumbles:

I'm glad the local power company does not decide to throttle my electric usage because "I use to much".
My electric company charges me for using more than 'standard energy usage' for my sized home. Yours probably does too.

Pope

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
said by iansltx:

Doubt it. Comcast's internet division is trying to be the good guy these days.
Ha, they are limiting the internet, but now its OK because they give you a meter so you can further know how comcast will limit you.
--
Republicans: less fiscally conservative than that other party.
iansltx

Austin, TX

*sigh* Heard of business class?

I'm not saying Comcast's prices are the best in the world but they do offer an uncapped option.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

Business is for businesses.

This is simply comcasts attempt to prevent people from getting online TV services from competitors to their cable tv.
--
iansltx

Austin, TX

*rolls eyes*

I'd agree with you if residential addresses couldn't get business clas service. However they can, so your logic falls apart.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya as soon as I heard about the caps I looked in to Biz class and then switched

and its pretty much all around better than resi

the cap is more of your shield against getting kicked

but I don't like the cap on a basis of principle so I got biz class at home and other than the SMCrap I'm quite happy

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

How much more do you pay per month?
pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by r81984:

How much more do you pay per month?
I went to Comcast starter business from Comcast residential. The bill from Comcast was the same, except there are no taxes. As a result my bill is about $3.00 a month less with Comcast business than with Comcast residential. I have read posts the Comcast business has soft caps of between 2-2.5 TB / month.

Comcast business also bundles a modem at no monthly rental. If some rents and pays tax, the starter business could save $5-8 per month over residential internet.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
said by iansltx:

*rolls eyes*

I'd agree with you if residential addresses couldn't get business clas service. However they can, so your logic falls apart.
Ya, if you can afford the business class. Not very easy to afford if you want digital cable and phone service as well.
--
»Please check out my friend's band
iansltx

Austin, TX

There you have it. That's why I don't have 50/10; it costs too much...
sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH
How exactly do caps address congestion?
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

They discourage usage overall, and thus by proxy discourage it at eak times. They're a whole lot easier to understand than 95th percentile billing, which *would* be a better way of managing congestion but most people can't get their minds around that method.

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR
For less than the cost of Comcast's business class, I could switch to FIOS.

Then again, I don't even use 100gb a month. I'm not concerned with caps right now.
iansltx

Austin, TX

Yay for competitive markets; for less than Comcast's residential prices I could switch to Qwest, sacrificing lots of speed in the process :/ No caps though.
LowRider

join:2006-06-23
Douglasville, GA
said by iansltx:

this is a company that charges for phone payments

••••••
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
i will however admit that 250gb is much better then what other capping ISPs are doing.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by i1me2ao:

now i will have monthly 1.99 meter usage maintenance policy..
Don't give em ideas. GEEZ!
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee
caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

Conclusion from NetForecast

Page 11

"In areas served by the Cisco CMTS model 10000, the Comcast usage meter is highly
accurate to within plus-or-minus 0.5% over the month. Based on our test results,
subscribers should be able to rely on the meter’s accuracy to better understand how
much Internet traffic they are consuming, and how to manage that traffic if they wish.
The meter will shine a new light on a previously unknown and misunderstood aspect of
the digital age. NetForecast believes that this information will allow consumers to
become better informed, and better informed consumers will help positively shape the
Internet’s future."

Looks like the most it might be off is 1.25 GB up or down in a calender month.
--
»www.seabee.navy.mil

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

Re: Conclusion from NetForecast

said by caco:

"The meter will shine a new light on a previously unknown and misunderstood aspect of
the digital age. NetForecast believes that this information will allow consumers tob ecome better informed, and better informed consumers will help positively shape the
Internet’s future."
That is so pathetic. Comcast sucks. All they are doing is limiting the internet.
--

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

about damn time

so that means between trials and this and that, maybe Jan 2011 would be nice to finally upgrade my WRT54GL with tomato so i don't need to keep track anymore.

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

Re: about damn time

Tomato has a great usage tracker. This is what I use on that same router. Never been happier. Rock solid. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the Comcast meter.

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28

Question...

Is it really a "cap"? (the 250 GB usage thingy) or is it just a threshold which if you exceed you get "managed" (with lower priority/restricted bandwidth for your packets) [only] when there's congestion on your node/segment?

••••••••••••••••••••
moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

Here is one problem..

quote:
"The meter displays usage on a per Gigabyte basis, over a calendar month, which may be different from the customer's monthly billing period cycle," says Douglas.
This should coincide with the customers billing period.

••••••••••

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

For national roll out 1st qtr 2010 - maybe

Well they are now promising 1st qtr 2010 for the start of a national rollout. But will they keep their promise? Their track record is not good. I won't hold my breath. And before it gets everywhere all of 2010 could be over.

»networkmanagement.comcast.net/
We currently anticipate deploying this usage meter beyond the pilot market beginning in the first quarter of 2010.
Their blog entry:
»blog.comcast.com/2009/12/comcast···hes.html
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

well

What I think will happen as quicker speeds are available. Comcast will eventually increase the cap line as more people pay per month.

•••••••••

Martindziad
Premium
join:2002-04-04
Chicago, IL

Wow

They are serious about this LoL

Well lets see what if you watch movies from Netflix and upload pics like I do from my home pc to my work pc honestly I reach 250 gigs easy. Now they would like me to go and pay the extra premium price to get the business pipe, so there isnt any meter?
No thank you

I can bet everything I own that this meter will disappear faster then it appeared when the DSL company's use this in their commercials like Verizon is doing so atm against ATT.

This should get really interesting really soon.

•••••••••••••••
dak70

join:2007-05-01
Warminster, PA

Less than 1%

If less than 1% of customers will be affected by the cap and the vast majority of users consume 2 - 4 GB per month, why is this cap needed at all?
This is Comcrap's first attempt to head off VOD via the Internet.

•••••••

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

250 Gb is good.

250 GB is good, especially with a "soft cap" that will just bring speeds down to a crawl but won't get you a big bill at the end of the month or loss of internet.

If TWC would implement such a cap, I don't think you would hear me complain.

The caps that Rogers just posted, with the $5 per Gb overages..... is just ridiculous.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Re: 250 Gb is good.

the Cap won't slow you down that their bandwidth managment

the cap is more of your sheild from being kicked
you go over is like you looking over the sheild you look over you might get lanced or might not

comcasted

@verizon.net

fair limit

for most people 250gb is more than fair. if you are going to impose a limit then having meter is a good idea so people know where they stand. the question is what happens if u exceed the limit. i personally would prefer that a user be able to pick what happends. they could chose to stop further usage, in other words until the next month of 250gb no internet access. or that they pay some additional amount per gb used beyond the 250gb, or that they prebuy additional amounts, lets say an additional 250gb at some discount from the per gb amount, but not have their accounts terminated. what about if when they exceed theit 250gb amount having their internet speed decreased to some slow speed, analog modem speed 32kbps , until the next month of 250gb so that they can at least get online and get their email.
sonicmerlin

Cleveland, OH

Re: fair limit

`for most people`...which means the people who make the greatest use of the internet and drive demand for new and innovative services will be kicked off. Brilliant.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

It's very good of Comcast to CALL people

rather than just charging them a fee if you go over

I give them credit for that....as that seems much more reasonable

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

This is bad.

We do not want this and the internet will not work with limits like this.

As people start using online media. Our connections must be unlimited especially since paying by the byte makes no sense because the network is built and operated with fixed costs.

Take a normal sized family and add in online video games, netflix, youtube, news, radio streaming, VOIP, possibly TV streaming, home security cameras, etc.

Comcast is going to destroy the internet.
All they are doing is limiting what you can use it for. It will be OK to go to low bandwidth sites. It will not be OK to stream any kind of video.
--

•••
AstroBoy

join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD

I am not impressed

The usage meter only shows the current month and the past 3 months. It should also include per week results for 4 weeks and per day for maybe 7 days. Even per hour for the past 24 hours. I have seen charts like that comming from routers in the 1990's.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I switches to FIOS. 25/15, but testing shows I have 25/30. Downloading at over 3 mega bytes per second is sweet!
Premium
join:2008-09-23

so

you have 1 million people customers
the capacity you require to satisify everyone at 250GB Limit is then with the 1% think 2% and wella
20000 X 250GB + 980000 X 5
whats the prob you dont have that much capcity or more
or is the truth that hollywood pwns you and you have to suck er kiss three behinds
Sympathy

join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

what?? 2 to 4 GB????? huh?

The median customer consumes approximately 2 to 4 GB of data in a month,"

what?? 2 to 4 GB????? huh?

•••••
cybrsk8r6

join:2001-11-19
Montgomery Village, MD

I've had a usage meter for a long time now

I downloaded a small free-ware utility called "Netmeter" which keeps track of both uploads and downloads. You can set a monthly bandwidth limit and the pgm will alert you if you exceed the limit, or if the pgm thinks you're on pace to exceed the limit. It keeps monthly bandwidth statistics you can recall anytime.
Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Re: I've had a usage meter for a long time now

said by cybrsk8r6:

I downloaded a small free-ware utility called "Netmeter" which keeps track of both uploads and downloads. You can set a monthly bandwidth limit and the pgm will alert you if you exceed the limit, or if the pgm thinks you're on pace to exceed the limit. It keeps monthly bandwidth statistics you can recall anytime.
I have 9 computers in the house. How does putting Netmeter on one help? I use netmeter on all of them. But, until netmeter comes out with a utility than can collect all the data and spit out a single value, it's not useful as a Tomato based router or Comcast's meter.
dak70

join:2007-05-01
Warminster, PA

Comcast contradiction

Comcast claims to have a super-fast fiber network. Comcast claims to have a more robust network than other cable companies and telcos but complains that the usage of less than 1% of the customers is impacting the network. Come on.
Which is it? Is the Comcast network high-tech and high-speed or is it easily crippled by a few P2P users?

••••

PDX

@mershanlaw.com

Meter not showing up

I'm in Portland and should have access to the usage meter.. yet it's not showing up on my comcast.net page after following the instructions. Has anyone been able to access it?

•••

join:2009-06-12

Mention FIOS to any CAE and they will bend over real fast. I just called a few weeks to get promo for my DVR and the rep was not so gracious. I mentioned FIOS and 30 seconds later I had my promo with a free Showtime and HBO for 6 months.

Martindziad
Premium
join:2002-04-04
Chicago, IL

Re: .

Yep I'm just waiting to see which markets they will enable this cap in first. And I would love to see the stats when they turn on this bandwidth system in the Verizon and OOL areas. Cause a lot more people stream more media 250 gigs isn't anything these days.

To be honest I think this is just another way for Comcast to get money. Cause when you get over that limit there should be a choice to have your service cut or to be asked to continue and get charged I guess.

So what happens when you reach your cap?