spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-12-01 18:34:40: Straight off of AT&T and Verizon's multi-week network quality snark fest, Consumer Reports has issued their latest survey of wireless carriers and phones, and it probably won't make AT&T particularly happy. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Heated Man

join:2009-06-18
Cleveland, OH

HAHAHAHA

Glad to see these losers get what they deserve. I hate them! ATT sucks. Eat crap!

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to KrK

Re: AT&T Prepares to Sue Consumer Reports...

said by KrK:

Yeah, but you can't use Consumer Reports in your commercials. They forbid it,
Exactly how do they do this? As long as it's truthful information they have no power to stop companies from using their name.
--
The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter, an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

I'd imagine they'd claim their reports and surveys are copyright and can't be used without permission. Which they won't grant. And their name(s) are registered trademarks.

quote:
Published information from Consumers Union, including our Ratings and Reports, is intended solely for the benefit of our subscribers and other consumers, in order to help them make informed choices and decisions about consumer products, services, and other consumer matters. Such information may not be used by others in advertising or to promote a company’s product or service. In addition, this policy precludes any commercial use of any of Consumers Union’s published information in any form, or of the names of Consumers Union®, Consumer Reports®, or any other of Consumers Union’s publications or services, without our express written permission.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit
reply to thender

Re: Survey says att sucks

said by thender:

You're telling me I don't know anything about CDMA and GSM technologies but you're the one who doesn't know that the storm is a world phone?

GTFO!!!!!!
Wow.. Someone actually sells a true World Phone still. That's freakin' amazing.. I thought they quit doing that a few years back. I guess the only exception is certain Blackberries.

Excuse the fsck out of me. I might actually look into getting a Storm2, especially if I can stick *ANY* SIM card in it.
--
Bresnan 15M/1M|MyWS[P4HT@4.01GHz,2GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]|WifeWS[P4@2.4GHz,1GB RAM,60GB HDD,Win7]|Router[2xP3@1GHz,640MB RAM,18GB HDD,Allied Telesyn AT-2560FX,Kingston KNE100TX,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,iPro/1000DP,Blitz BWI715,Gentoo Linux]

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

It is a god awful phone. The storm 1 at least. I sincerely doubt from what I read and see that the storm 2 falls far from the failtree.
--
Macbook repair in NYC

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to Jim Gurd

consumer reports is a trademark

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

I'd imagine they'd claim their reports and surveys are copyright and can't be used without permission. Which they won't grant. And their name(s) are registered trademarks.

quote:
Published information from Consumers Union, including our Ratings and Reports, is intended solely for the benefit of our subscribers and other consumers, in order to help them make informed choices and decisions about consumer products, services, and other consumer matters. Such information may not be used by others in advertising or to promote a company’s product or service. In addition, this policy precludes any commercial use of any of Consumers Union’s published information in any form, or of the names of Consumers Union®, Consumer Reports®, or any other of Consumers Union’s publications or services, without our express written permission.
I don't think that would stand up in court. Besides couldn't a company that got a bad rating do the same thing to them? Consumer Reports is making a profit selling their magazine so they can't claim they are non commercial.
--
The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter, an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

FastiBook

join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

You know it's funny....

I have had zero issues till about a week ago, now my calls are dropping, i get 5 bars of 3G but no service, but overall i am quite satisfied & these issues only happen on the train.

- A
--
LETS GO METS!

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom

The difference isn't that great

to warrant the "not kind", "dead last", "tail end", etc. verbiage.

The difference between Verizon and AT&T is in the 10% range. Not twice as good. Not 50% better. 10% better.

All wireless services suck to some extent in some ways. National surveys aren't very helpful.

People should choose based on what works for them where they want to use it. I was a diehard Sprint customer until I moved across town and there was zero bars in my new house. Went with AT&T and didn't look back. Excellent coverage here in Austin.

And when traveling through West Texas, there's always coverage, even when there's no gas stations for 100 miles on the way to El Paso on I-10 ... not 3G but you don't need that to make a call now do you?

tim
Premium
join:2005-06-07
Chicago, IL
kudos:2
reply to Murdoc

At least AT&T are better than T-Mobile...

... but they still suck.

Mike_

join:2003-06-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Re: The difference isn't that great

I agree "mydoghsfleas". Here in South Florida, at&t is the top choice with 3g coverage. Never had issues with calls, texts, or internet. Sprint and VZ are also very good. It truly depends on where you live and the routes you take to determine the best choice.

Consumer reports has always been dead wrong on their so called "reviews" on just about everything. Vehicle after vehicle I've had and family members have had were always ranked terrible on consumer reports yet no one has ever had issues other than the normal battery replacement or routine maintenance. Even printers, computers, and tvs. People who live by/follow consumer reports really need to reconsider how they value life and the things in it. Make your own judgments and come to your own conclusions - stop letting a crooked magazine that magically surveys random people who aren't necessarily telling the truth do it for you.
--
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you know what you're doing.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

..and you don't know anything about CDMA and GSM Technologies. They are NOT interchangable.

EDIT: Unless you have a "World Phone" that has both CDMA and GSM Radios in it. I haven't seen very many of them lately.
The Storm is a "World Phone". It's the only reason why, as a VZW customer, I bought a Storm in the first place. I had to travel to Europe, for work, but work's wireless agreements were with VZW.
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to thender

said by thender:

It is a god awful phone. The storm 1 at least. I sincerely doubt from what I read and see that the storm 2 falls far from the failtree.
Unfortunately, the Gen 1 Droid is not a "world phone".
--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to La Luna

Re: I don't know.....

That's from them taking over Cellularone in the area a couple years ago, Cellone had *gasp* built new towers in Florida and Warwick to actually give their customers better coverage. Still real shoddy coverage between Goshen and Florida, it's pretty much a guarenteed dropped call.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

We take a yearly trip to Warwick for apple picking. Wile on the NOTwork (Verizon) I could never get decent service at the orchard or many places along the way. With AT&T it's great service all around there.
That's interesting. Is that Warwick NY? I visit a friend there, and have "No Service" from AT&T. My friend's cell, VZ has 5 bars. I have to switch to her WIFI to use my iPhone there. I have driven around the area, and sometimes get 1 shaky bar.

Bob
--
Would you ever go over to Czechoslovakia, and marry me daughter for me?"

Spektor

@rcn.com
reply to MRCUR

Re: Is anyone surprised?

Here's what you say -- "fine, please remove my bill."

At least AT&T has been helping me with that. They admit my area has "degraded towers" and that numerous people in my area have complained about bad connectivity (for me, it's regularly no access to even voice calls/texts -- and I live in the city yet). So for the past for or five months I have been calling in monthly, explaining the problems and getting the bill removed. It is like pulling teeth, talking to multiple operators, but it's the least they can do considering the fact the system, even for voice calls, has performed so poorly.

It has gotten to the point that I just signed up for US Cellular. They are giving me a TouchPro2 for free and the data plan is only 25 dollars extra + 40 for the plan. If I can make a phone call from here in Chicago without problems, it will be well worth it.

Believe me, I wanted to love AT&T and stay -- but I can no longer deal with this.

Spektor

@rcn.com
reply to en102

Um, no. Apple definitely should care that AT&T's poor service is hurting the reputation of the iPhone and Apple itself! A large number of people resent the fact Apple has kept this exclusivity deal going for so long with such a company. Bad, bad karma!

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to TamaraB

Re: I don't know.....

Yes it is. We go to Maskers, up off the Thruway, through Tuxedo and over to Warwick. The phone works fine.

Flibbetigobb

@lmco.com

To be fair...

Although I can't stand the Death Star, to be fair, I've found their coverage in Atlanta to be reliable (that's to be expected since Atlanta is the former home of both Cingular and BellSouth).

Their customer "service," on the other hand, is just abysmal, and it's the reason why I'll drop them like a bad habit when and if I can get an iPhone on a different provider...

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX

3 edits
reply to nixen

Actually, the storm can be made to work on AT&T's network, but it's a pain in the ass to do. Only EDGE is available on the Storm/Storm2. 3G speeds are not available in the US on GSM but are available internationally on those carriers GSM networks. 3G speeds are available in the US on CDMA. The user might be using the storm/storm2 with ATT's slower EDGE service but he is not getting 3G speeds. The Blackberry Storm/Storm2 has a CDMA and GSM radio.

underthehood
Premium
join:2006-01-04

at&t and CR

Let's not forget that this is from a magazine that while they say they are non-biased can be ANYTHING further from the truth. Ever wonder why in so many appliance reviews Kenmore always beats the SAME Whirlpool? Because one of the top people at CR is a former Sears head. Lets also not forget this is a mag that endorses a vehicle brand that has had more safety related recalls, crashes and deaths than ANY other brand...................Toyota. That is NOT an opinion btw its a fact. Look it up. But CR thinks they walk on water. Lets not forget how they trashed Audi for a VERY similar issue than the latest Toyota issue. Did Audi deserve the criticism? You BET. Does Toyota? You BET! Does Toyota get trashed by CR? No!
CR SUCKS and the people are ANYTHING but non-biased.

optemino

join:2009-10-13
Patterson, CA
reply to tim

you kidding me?! ... T-Mobile EDGE had BETTER SPEED on my old phone than my AT&T iPhone has ever had while on their EDGE network.... t-mo edge is actually A LOT more stable

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to thender

said by thender:

Correction: shouldn't that be EPICFAILTREE!
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Turbocpe

Re: Lame AT&T Commercials

Luke Wilson tossing the postcards all over the map. I really cracked up on that one. The TRUE AT&T once had a bell on the left!
--
Guy: Sign here please. Me: *signs Y* Guy: Why sign it as, "Y?" Me: Because "X" is already taken!

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI
reply to itguy05

Re: Is anyone surprised?

said by itguy05:

quote:
And my brother & his wife want to switch too, but haven't yet because the sister-in-law is an iPhone fanatic. If the iPhone ever becomes available elsewhere, especially Verizon, then AT&T is history
Highly doubful. AT&T was #1 for years before the iPhone. Churn was going down before the iPhone.

I have both and Verizon is overhyped. Good brainwashing, yes, cell service - average. And no I'm not a CR subscriber.
They were #1 in what? customers? That was for maybe 1 -2 yrs only. With the iphone exclusive hopefully going away the network should actually improve. Less stress on it because people are going to other networks for the iphone.

I'm with AT&T only because most people I know are with them and it saves me money. I'm glad to finally have 3G but as 1 poster already mentioned, it is very erratic.
--
One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. -Marie Curie

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI
reply to Spektor

said by Spektor :

Here's what you say -- "fine, please remove my bill."

At least AT&T has been helping me with that. They admit my area has "degraded towers" and that numerous people in my area have complained about bad connectivity (for me, it's regularly no access to even voice calls/texts -- and I live in the city yet). So for the past for or five months I have been calling in monthly, explaining the problems and getting the bill removed. It is like pulling teeth, talking to multiple operators, but it's the least they can do considering the fact the system, even for voice calls, has performed so poorly.

It has gotten to the point that I just signed up for US Cellular. They are giving me a TouchPro2 for free and the data plan is only 25 dollars extra + 40 for the plan. If I can make a phone call from here in Chicago without problems, it will be well worth it.

Believe me, I wanted to love AT&T and stay -- but I can no longer deal with this.
US Cellular is based in Chicago. They always have great reception there. Why would you waste your time calling every month about poor reception? Just switch.
--
One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. -Marie Curie

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Consumer Reports FTW. They stated what we all knew...

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Jim Gurd

Actually, it's Consumer Reports.org I believe (A non profit.)

Also, it does stand up in court. Companies have stopped trying. It's been years since I heard of a lawsuit where Consumer Reports has had to force someone to stop using their name or trademark in advertising.

Consumer Reports also has been sued by manufacturers that don't like the negative reviews. They win, or rarely, they settle, every now and then they make a mistake but it's few and far between.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Depends on the area

AT&T works great at my home and my office, yet if I go to my parents house less than an hour away I barely get a signal.

Also AT&T's signals seem to have a hard time penetrating buildings with a lot of metal in them. There's a metal building that I go to that's a dead zone for AT&T, but Verizon works fine there.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to nixen

said by nixen:

said by thender:

Unfortunately, the Gen 1 Droid is not a "world phone".
Waiting for Moto Milestone to be released with TMO compatible 3G
--
Semper Fi