spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-12-17 18:22:11: Sure, Verizon's been testing 100 Mbps FiOS connections in a handful of employee homes for several years now (see video). But Verizon executives have also admitted that for the moment -- the 100 Mbps mark is little more than marketing fluff. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

whoopie

10 Gb connection with what kind of cap? Nice speed but not worth it if they are going to institute BS caps on the service.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Correction

The 10 Gbps is shared among everyone on the node. So realistically Verizon will be able to push gigabit down, 250 Mbit up service over the upcoming network. just clarifying

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit
reply to ender7074

Re: whoopie

Well, it's kind of the nice thing about actually investing in your network architecture: you don't need "BS caps." You might still need some kind of cap/wall/system that isolates 99.4% of your customers from the kind of gluttons who should be on business tiers, but you shouldn't need "BS caps."

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to ender7074
FiOS doesn't do caps.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to iansltx

Re: Correction

You are correct, sir. I've adjusted the language.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

The 10 Gbps is shared among everyone on the node. So realistically Verizon will be able to push gigabit down, 250 Mbit up service over the upcoming network. just clarifying
That a little LEAN, but I'll try it.
BTW, at this point it is only a marketing ploy, but if it is rolled out, and I don't see why something like it won't, I wonder what cable's response will be??
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Gimmie!

Yes, we all knew, I'd find this news story, and say, I want it..

I WANT IT

quoted from the story
quote:
" it's an exciting announcement to bandwidth nerds, for whom even 100 Gbps of bandwidth jacked directly into their cerebral cortex might not be enough."

I don't know about right into my cerebral cortex, but you have my attention...
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to JRW2

RFoG.

Seriously, 8x4 channel bonded DOCSIS 3.0 will be out soonish, but that's at most 304/120...with one person spread across all eight channels.

So all Verizon has to do is push out a 350 Mbps down, 150 Mbps up tier and cable has to bring fiber all the way to the home to compete.

Heck, if Verizon came out with 150/30 right now cable couldn't compete, since even the highest-end deployments in teh US are one channel up, four channels down DOCSIS 3.

digdug
Premium
join:2008-02-01
Mount Vernon, WA

Great news but....

I'm still stuck with 3M DSL from VZ

gogeta6

join:2002-06-20
San Diego, CA

40/100 Gb/s switches

It has been a few years since I heard 10Gb line cards were as good as it gets, but are 40 or 100 ones at all common by now?

Still 10Gb to the home is a sweet goal.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

Re: Gimmie!

Reading the full story over here : »newscenter.verizon.com/press-rel···lds.html

makes me wanna know how I could be the guy whos house they are testing this in...

Oh yeah, darn, I only have SuddenLink here..

If anyone from SuddenLink is reading this post, I do have a new docsis 3.0 modem we could juice up...
--

joebarnhart
Paxio evangelist

join:2005-12-15
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

Self-confessed bandwidth nerd

Kudos to FIOS! As a self-confessed bandwidth nerd, I can tell you that 100M/100M service is wonderful to behold. I find new uses for it every day.

But if you think it's easy to push more than 100M thru a typical router/firewall, think again! I had to build a special router from a single-board computer to even get to this speed:

HunterZ

join:2003-07-16
Kent, WA

Too bad

Too bad the telcos have things tied up so that Verizon couldn't provide me FiOS even if they wanted to (barring a buyout of Qwest). My only choice for faster-than-DSL Internet service is cable, which is why I use Comcast.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to digdug

Re: Great news but....

Wish I could get that here. Too far out (back in TX now). That said, I've heard that the new VZ DSL system around here is problematic overall.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to joebarnhart

Re: Self-confessed bandwidth nerd

Traceroute to Google?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to joebarnhart
said by joebarnhart:

Kudos to FIOS! As a self-confessed bandwidth nerd, I can tell you that 100M/100M service is wonderful to behold. I find new uses for it every day.

But if you think it's easy to push more than 100M thru a typical router/firewall, think again! I had to build a special router from a single-board computer to even get to this speed:

Do you have room in your closet for me? If not, do you have room in your closet for a few servers?
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

Oh man, this is so not fair..

»paxio.net/ResidentialData

"Gigabit (1,000Mbps/1,000Mbps) - Need we say more? $245.00"

--

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to HunterZ

Re: Too bad

Fios is not even available here in my neck of the woods, best we can get is 12mbits from grande communications and even then that company isnt very consistant with their speeds and latency.

Murdoc
Premium
join:2009-02-08
Manitowoc, WI

Verizon insists they're ready for tomorrow's bandwidth needs

So the Metered billing fiasco is gonna be called off now?

chimera

join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

Those be backbone speeds

10 Gbps, them be backbone speeds. To be honest I didn't even think you could push 10Gbps over a single fiber beyond a few miles and even that is using ethernet. I'm really curious about what the range is on this and if they could actually start playing with this to connect backbone locations assuming it has any real range and can compete against OC-X connections in terms of reliability.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to iansltx

Shared by how many people??
200+ per node??

I'll take sharing the fiber bandwidth with 30 people please...
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to gatorkram

Re: Self-confessed bandwidth nerd

Ya.. No chance in hell we'll ever see that here.

google2

join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL
reply to iansltx

Re: whoopie

said by iansltx:

FiOS doesn't do caps.
Yet.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 edit
reply to Murdoc

Re: Verizon insists they're ready for tomorrow's bandwidth needs

We'll see. A new CEO, a couple of grumpy investors, and this whole idea of actually putting earnings back into the network could fall apart real quickly.

I still think the forces of greed defeat the forces of logic and we're facing low caps and high overages among most ISPs by 2014.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

reply to chimera

Re: Those be backbone speeds

Actually, Verizon's exploring 100 Gbps backbone speeds:

»www.fiercetelecom.com/story/veri···09-12-15

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to JRW2

Yep, at most 64 people on a node so PLENTY of bandwidth to go around.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

It's all fluff, smoke and mirrors. How many consumers' computers can actually utilize/process that kind of bandwidth?

Not bagging on iansltx See Profile.
--
"Have fun storming the castle!"

vpro

@verizon.net

price what matter

I wouldn't mind 100/100 Mbps but it will be $200+ for us since we live outside NYC. Verizon can easily give 100/50 for $75. I'll take that.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Radio Active

said by Radio Active:

said by iansltx:

It's all fluff, smoke and mirrors. How many consumers' computers can actually utilize/process that kind of bandwidth?

Not bagging on iansltx See Profile.
How many people, who would want that type of speed, only have 1 computer at home?

Just saying..
--

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Radio Active
Meh, my computers can do about 100 Mbit without any problems. If I tuned everything I could probably get up to 200 Mbit. I'd be perfectly happy with a 100 Mbit symmetric connection, to tell you the truth. Heck, 30/30 would be lovely. Just don't charge me through the nose for it and it's all great.