spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2009-12-23 09:37:24: Comcast says they'll have 80% of their entire footprint upgraded with the faster speeds by the end of this year next week, and their entire customer base upgraded by the end of 2010 - roughly 40 million homes and businesses passed. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Couch change is right....

They forgot to tell you that it is YOUR couch the money is coming from.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

Re: Couch change is right....

And maybe a little from your wallet in addition to the couch
Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Re: Couch change is right....

D3 may cost cost couch change but it won't do much good on the cable systems that are 750 MHz or less. Upgrading those systems is probably what's really costly to Comcast.
kucharsk

join:2001-03-30
Louisville, CO

1 edit
I have 50/10 service and can get that… overnight.

At 2 AM I got over 50 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up.

Right now (7 AM) I'm getting 12 Mbps down, and 0 up (all transfers are forever stuck after transferring 144K, so the uplink speedtest.comcast.net test never shows a result.)

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

1 recommendation

D3

I think my area of Ct. was converted yesterday as well. Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Re: D3

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Rick See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by openbox9:

Rick See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.
True.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by ptrowski:

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?
There's a reason, you just don't like the reason.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by Rob:

said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by ptrowski:

said by Rob:

said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.
A few things.. first, raising the base price would have affected all their customers; thankfully they didn't do that.

Second, the cost to rent a modem is more than what the initial investment for Comcast. They have to constantly maintain an inventory, acquiring new modems to either replace damaged/broken modems, or in add newer modems with better technology. This isn't free or cheap and you get the advantage of insurance and knowing that you can always turn your modem in for a better one, should you wish.

Third, if you are now paying $5/mo., you are welcome to call Comcast and request a free, leased router, since it is now included with the $5/mo. monthly fee.

Fourth, you can purchase your own modem if you wish. This is why I am glad Comcast didn't raise the base price - it gives those renting a modem the ability to purchase their own and eliminate the modem rental fee.
--

Rick
Premium,MVM
Waterbury, CT
said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by Rick:

said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
Rick, I think I know enough about their upgrades, thanks.

So, how can the upgrade for from 6 to 12 Mb be "nothing" if they raised the modem rental fees? Maybe for some who own their own modem yes, but if you don't it's not a "free" upgrade. Discounted sure, but not free. What if people such as myself who would not want a router? Can I decline the modem fee? I would imagine not.

So, is it free or does it cost $2?

Also, when one thinks of "couch change" it is spare money you happen to find, not spare money you happen to raise via increased fees.

Upgrades are part of doing business. Upgrade and be competitive, don't upgrade and be beat. Please don't try to pass this off as Comcast doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Rick
Premium,MVM
Waterbury, CT

It sounds like you're really struggling to justify what was your lack of understanding of what this really all entailed because I find it hard to believe that even you would REALLY believe that 2.00 a month wasn't worth doubling ones speeds AND getting a router.

As for whether you can bypass that fee..you most certainly can.
By buying your own modem.

And, I do think to some extent it was out of the kindness of their hearts. Because for them to upgrade the entire country with this..many places which had NO competitive reasons to do so..
and at what must have cost them a great deal of money..

was certainly being very customer friendly.
--

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
said by Rick:

Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.
I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did, I can promise you that the "fat cat" cable company would have done absolutely NOTHING like this. So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by Steely:

said by Rick:

Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.
So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!
BULLSHIT. When Verizon rolled out FiOS, Comcast cherry picked and gave those market 16/2.

The DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades are not because of Verizon, but to build out and improve their network.
--

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

said by Rob:

The DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades are not because of Verizon, but to build out and improve their network.
Yes. Comcast is investing heavily in a major network upgrade and hurrying to deploy it because they want to improve their network. It has nothing to do with competition or the fear of losing customers. Sure.

Believe what you want!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by Steely:

said by Rob:

Yes. Comcast is investing heavily in a major network upgrade and hurrying to deploy it because they want to improve their network. It has nothing to do with competition or the fear of losing customers. Sure.

Believe what you want!
Seeing how I worked for Comcast and have seen their internal memos, yes, I will believe what I want.

Verizon doesn't cover all of Comcast's footprint, yet Comcast is upgrading ALL their systems to DOCIS 3.0.
--

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

What if another company provides 10 megabit wireless Internet 5 years from now? And what's so bad about actually...upgrading your network to handle increasing usage instead of decreasing the cap? They don't even enforce the current cap aggressively. If you go 10-20 over, you don't even get a warning. I bet that by next year, the 250 GB cap gets doubled.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
said by Steely:

I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did
Minneapolis was the first market to get the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade. The ILECs here are Centrylink (formerly Embarq/Sprint/United) and Qwest. No Verizon or any other similar speed offering anywhere in sight.

Rick
Premium,MVM
Waterbury, CT
said by Steely:

said by Rick:

I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did, I can promise you that the "fat cat" cable company would have done absolutely NOTHING like this. So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!
lol..verizon isn't even in Ct...except for maybe a small corner of it overlapping from NY.
So..why then would comcast upgrade us to compete with what isn't even here?

Your argument makes no sense.
--

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Florida not getting much love...

It seems like those of us here in SWFL are in the last market to be upgraded. :/

That said, way back when they bumped us up to 6 Mbps, I think we were one of the first, so I guess it's cyclical.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent
cbiggers

join:2000-08-10
San Luis Obispo, CA

Which ones?

So it says "they" announced it...where? Where is the list of 27 communities?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Hmmmmm

Perhaps it's time to go buy my own modem!

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Hmmmmm

I actually own my own modem. The problem is I need to rent Comcast's modem for CDV so I'm stuck with the $5 fee no matter what I do.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

said by Morac:

I actually own my own modem. The problem is I need to rent Comcast's modem for CDV so I'm stuck with the $5 fee no matter what I do.
Crap, forgot about that

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Utah is getting upgraded on December 23rd! Which is today
--
801 Images

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT

said by MSauk:

Utah is getting upgraded on December 23rd! Which is today
»Re: Let's keep all DOCSIS 3.0 Discussion in this thread, please

Utah was upgraded to DOCSIS3 just before thanksgiving...it has now gone official today...

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

Yep. I have a Jan 18th install date on our new house with the 50 meg teir! 81 dollars on their 6 month promotional rate.

It is 44 dollars for the 22 meg plan.
--
801 Images

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT

said by MSauk:

Yep. I have a Jan 18th install date on our new house with the 50 meg teir! 81 dollars on their 6 month promotional rate.

It is 44 dollars for the 22 meg plan.
Is that promotional rate w/bundled package and before fees?

Just asking because above has shown up as the price for extreme tier on my December statement after SteveTeow See Profile fixed my modem with the correct config file a couple weeks back...

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

How many people are actually upgrading to the new speeds?

I can get the 22 and 50 Mbps speeds, but considering most things I download can't even reach the 12 mbps I'm paying for now (including video downloads) I can't see the point in paying for more bandwidth.

I wonder how many people are actually upgrading to the new speeds.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

•••

wyl2k

@comcast.net

Modem Rent

In the Portland area the $5 will include a wireless router. Customers can either pay for a pro install or order it from comcast.com or 1-800-COMCAST and do a self install. I opted for the self install.

clickwir

join:2001-06-21
Dickson City, PA

docsis 2 modem

So when comcast upgrades my area to DOCSIS 3, do I *have* to replace my DOCSIS 2 SB 5100 modem to get the new standard speeds? Or only if I want to get speeds higher than 50mbit?

•••

FicmanS
Premium
join:2005-01-11
Brownsburg, IN

INDIANA???

Seem like we are getting a bit snubbed, where are we at in Indiana?

Let's zip on over to Indianapolis and drop some of this our way...
Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL

What about Central Florida?

I live in Orlando which is a well known city and places like Chattanooga,TN (a place no one lives) gets docsis 3.0 speeds. this makes no sense

•••••
harodude

join:2009-01-08
Sacramento, CA

Willows, really?!?!

It kinda ticks me off to think that Willows and Yuba City (some very small CA cities) are getting these upgrades before Sacramento. I just imagine that the majority of people living up that way won't even recognize or utilize the upgrade. At least they are rolling something new though...
krichek

join:2004-02-15
Roseville, CA

Re: Willows, really?!?!

said by harodude:

It kinda ticks me off to think that Willows and Yuba City (some very small CA cities) are getting these upgrades before Sacramento. I just imagine that the majority of people living up that way won't even recognize or utilize the upgrade. At least they are rolling something new though...
I'm pretty sure its because it's not just Yuba City that's getting the upgrade but the entire metropolitan area that it encompasses (Pretty much all of Yuba and Sutter Counties) which is the 21st largest metropolitan area within California. So yes it is smaller than Sacramento, but it isn't nearly as small as you might think.

jimbo48

Hayward, CA

comcast??

I went to the Comcast WEBsite input my address etc and got the following info on my address

Performance

Get download speeds up to 15 Mbps and uploads up to 3 Mbps with PowerBoost® for only $19.99 a month for 6 months!
The perfect upgrade from DSL so you can download music, upload photos and chat with friends faster than ever before.
Comprehensive Security Suite.
SmartZone® Communications Center with 7 e-mail accounts, each with 10GB of storage.
ESPN360.com on Comcast.net.
This special price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice® service.

Minimum System Requirements

Terms and Conditions

Learn More

Special Comcast.com Price!
$19.99
for the first 6 months
$42.95 per month thereafter

I noted that they don't show the fastest tiers nor do they offer a price for NEW customers who don't have cable or voice on the same page. If you bundle products- lo and behold the faster tiers show up again special pricing in BIG BOLD type and a disclaimer note that is conveniently buried that this is special pricing for current customers only. You have to dig a bit deeper to find out the real prices. It appears that the best they are offering in my area is the "UP TO 15/3"
They do say the following for the specially priced Cable
... all brought to you by America's leading enhanced fiber-optic network* for TV, phone and Internet.

*Incorporates fiber and coax.
On the unbundled Internet package no mention of Fiber- hmmm does this mean they only offer fiber to people who buy the TV/Voice along with Internet?
Makes me wonder about COMCAST! Guess my area is one of those that won't make the end of year rollout.

jimbo48

Hayward, CA
I went to the Comcast WEBsite input my address etc and got the following info on my address

Performance

Get download speeds up to 15 Mbps and uploads up to 3 Mbps with PowerBoost® for only $19.99 a month for 6 months!
The perfect upgrade from DSL so you can download music, upload photos and chat with friends faster than ever before.
Comprehensive Security Suite.
SmartZone® Communications Center with 7 e-mail accounts, each with 10GB of storage.
ESPN360.com on Comcast.net.
This special price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Cable or Comcast Digital Voice® service.

Minimum System Requirements

Terms and Conditions

Learn More

Special Comcast.com Price!
$19.99
for the first 6 months
$42.95 per month thereafter

I noted that they don't show the fastest tiers nor do they offer a price for NEW customers who don't have cable or voice on the same page. If you bundle products- lo and behold the faster tiers show up again special pricing in BIG BOLD type and a note that this is special pricing for current customers only. You have to dig a bit deeper to find out the real prices. It appears that the best they are offering in my area is the "UP TO 15/3"
They do say the following for the specially priced Cable
... all brought to you by America's leading enhanced fiber-optic network* for TV, phone and Internet.

*Incorporates fiber and coax.
On the unbundled Internet package no mention of Fiber- hmmm does this mean they only offer fiber to people who buy the TV/Voice along with Internet?
Makes me wonder about COMCAST!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
Since they have Docsis 3.0 almost everywhere it the caps shouldn't be needed. Since they claim the whole reasoning for caps was "network management"

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

Re: So when are they dumping the caps?

said by 88615298:

Since they have Docsis 3.0 almost everywhere it the caps shouldn't be needed. Since they claim the whole reasoning for caps was "network management"
Actually, they have stated the reason for the caps is to deal with "excessive usage." The congestion management system is used to handle short-term capacity constraints.

Real-time congestion is a technical issue.

Long-term high usage is a business model issue.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit
Why is it gonna take a whole nother year to do the last 20%. Its not like they're rolling out U-Verse. They did like 60% this year didn't they? My area has already been upgraded, so I'm just curious not furious.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.
Sidar

join:2000-07-20
Saint Albans, VT
They apparently rolled out D3 in the bulk of southern Vermont about 6 months back, and more or less stopped.

Still don't have it here up north yet. As far as I'm aware there's been 0 talk about it too.

Seems really weird to do 1/4 - 1/2 the state then stop.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
On my december bill there was a notice that on january 1st you can buy a docsis 3 emta for $150 also you can buy a docsis 2 emta for i believe $99. I would imagine you have to buy it from comcast but it would save you $5 or more a month.

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
The 4th largest market is locked in to 8Mbit/sec max.

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
Premium
join:2000-11-08
comcast. right. why even bother?

User123

@comcast.net
Sounds like my area in Massachusetts was upgraded.

I received a call a couple of days ago from CC saying my phone and internet would be going down for 90Min between 12:00AM - 6:00AM and that this was an effort to bring faster speeds in future.