spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-12 14:19:28: In 2010, Verizon will complete the first wave of their FiOS fiber to the home deployment. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Premium
join:2008-09-23
kudos:2

landlord

yea like he wants ot have you dictate to him
and your telling him otherwise we'll make sure none of your tenants have tv , a phone or internet, as a threat . YUP that usually works

rossies

join:2007-08-06
Tarpon Springs, FL

At my curb but not my house

I hope this completion of the deployment includes getting from the curb of my property to my house. They buried fiber in my front yard in the Tampa market in October of 2008 and have yet to offer Fios to me or my neighbors. Seems like a waste of money.

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23

If they want to ramp up the uptake...

...they need to quit ramping up the price increases.

meh37II

@verizon.net
Ditto. (You beat me to it. )

Their mantra should be: "less is more". (Slower speeds at lower prices will mean more customers.)

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

40% Penetration?!?!

That is a rather tall order, especially when there is really no competition between the incumbent carriers. They don't compete on price. They don't really compete on content give or take a few channels. Cable has their stupid fees for video services such as "Premium Outlet Fee" and Verizon has "FCC Line Charge". Basically if you at least somewhat happy with the carrier you have, why are you going to switch? Many people grouse at Cablevision here on Long Island but you won't save any money with FiOS and will probably have to fight billing errors left and right. OTOH, if you are fan of HGTV and/or Food Network then FiOS is a good option at this point.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to Z80A

Re: If they want to ramp up the uptake...

1. Everybody's increasing prices.

2. Did you really expect that a fiber optic network would be cheap?

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to n2jtx

Re: 40% Penetration?!?!

From what I have read, it seems that FiOS offers stable, consistent, symmetrical speeds at all hours of the day when compared to Cablevision. That might be more significant than more HD channels or a better picture quality. The billing errors are not typical for the majority of the customers, but that is one of the bigger complaints. Still, the overall product is typically rated very high, and there just isn't much else to complain about.

dak70

join:2007-05-01
Warminster, PA

1 recommendation

Can FiOS compete?

Does this indicate that FiOS is failing? I have FiOS and love it but let's face it at the end of the day FiOS is just cable TV. FiOS was supposed to revolutionize the industry due to its bandwidth and speed. The reality of FiOS has been small incremental improvements coupled with excruciatingly long roll out times. VZ is determined not to compete on pricing but hasn't differentiated FiOS from cable TV. In my opinion, the handful of poorly executed widgets are not a differentiator. If Verizon is no longer installing new FiOS, I wonder if software and widget improvements will be slowed or canceled?
In the Philadelphia area people literally curse the name of Comcast but FiOS still has low penetration because Comcast has been offering prices that VZ simply cannot match. VZ's costs to build and maintain the FiOS network are too high to compete on price. When customer can get $100 triple play from Comcast, they don't care about the incremental video improvement that FiOS offers.

matt314159
Premium
join:2006-01-18
Hesperia, CA
Reviews:
·Charter

Bummer

It's kind of a bummer the way they're doing it; Last october, my area was scheduled to complete the build by the end of november and go live by late january or thereabouts; In January, the status had changed to on hold indefinitely.

Okay, well Charter will continue to get my money; Their 60mb service has been working great for me. I just can't believe Verizon would halt their deployment---that was almost finished---in the face of that kind of competition.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

Living in an apartment complex currently

I will agree with him in that landlords (I am a landlord, btw, back at my other home in another city) in my current area are an absolute pain to deal with

To get anything done, it takes weeks on end when it should take probably 3-4 hours in a single day.

It's laughable how lazy some people are with their jobs.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to rossies

Re: At my curb but not my house

said by rossies:

I hope this completion of the deployment includes getting from the curb of my property to my house. They buried fiber in my front yard in the Tampa market in October of 2008 and have yet to offer Fios to me or my neighbors. Seems like a waste of money.
Yeah, FIOS is in my city down the street but not mine!!

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23
reply to fifty nine

And so long as they raise prices like cable, they will have difficultly competing with cable.

Price is king. Speed isn't.

IOW, if they expect to see an uptake with their endless price increases...they're in for a long wait.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY

why not wire up current neighborhoods?

By me they didnt even wire up the whole town. They skipped blocks and refuse to do anymore. How does verizon expect to make money by not wiring up entire neighborhoods?

espn420

@rr.com

Try 18% penetration in Florida

Verizon stopped their forward FIOS deployment in the six county Florida market when approximtely 2/3 of their footprint was built out. Their penetration numbers were a woeful 22% initially and have churned to a miserable 18% (currently).

The incumbent cable operator for the majority of the Florida footprint is Bright House and they have handled the competition in a spectacular fashion. No installation fees, no long term contract and basically no bullshit. Verizon, not so much. Their attitude from the beginning was that of the proverbial 800 pound gorilla, without the usual manners. Most folks recognize Verizon's product is vastly superior but the market share remains with the incumbent.

Multiple dwelling unit build outs are also very slow, as the incumbents have signed a majority to long term bulk agreements.

Great idea; lousy implementation.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to meh37II

They can do that with DSL. 3/768 for $30 is a decent deal IMO.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to n2jtx

Re: 40% Penetration?!?!

If you're thinking that 40% market share for a superior product is a hard thing to reach, a local telephone cooperative, despite competing with Verizon in some areas and TWC in many, has 70% market share. The reason: a large portfolio of services, including speed tiers that go from 768/128 all the way up to 40/10. From what I hear the majority of folks are around the 5 Mbit mark.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to dak70

Re: Can FiOS compete?

I hear that FiOS video quality beats cable/sat to a pulp actually, and people will switch for that. FiOS internet speeds beat what cable has to offer, particularly in the upload department. Only cable can't

The nice thing about cable though is all the infrastructure on the last mile has been paid for, so cable companies can compete on price when they see a need to (e.g. when FiOS comes to town). Verizon doesn't really have that luxury.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
reply to dak70
I think you fail to see the long view of Verizon's strategy here.

The investment in the Fios physical plant is akin to installing a new CO to serve an entire area. The ROI of such an undertaking is measured over decades, and not years.

Sure the fiber optic plant costs money to maintain, but it is much less expensive to maintain than the copper plant. I believe that once Verizon reaches a certain penetration level in a given area, they will either migrate all remaining customers to the fiber plant, and sell the existing copper plant to a CLEC. Leaving them only one plant to maintain.

Verizon is not obligated to open their fiber plant to the CLEC's, so in areas where they divest themselves of the copper, they lose that form of competition.

Fiber is infinitely upgradeable. By replacing the equipment on either end of communication, bandwidth can be increased. This means for all intents and purposes, fiber is future proof.

By concentrating on uptake, they can reach the level of penetration they need to make it feasible to convert a CO to fiber only, and divest themselves of the old copper plant.

IMHO, this is the long term goal. Verizon has NO INTEREST in staying in the copper business. Just ask the good folks of the State of Vermont. Verizon plans on being an all fiber optic company some day.....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Told you so...

FAIL!!! I bet the Dolan's are smirking at this news. Fios in New York City by 2015??? Yeah RIGHT!!! NYC is a concrete jungle and the article states they're still struggling with deploying apartments even though they now have bendable fiber theres now other obstacles. Gee what a surprise.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to fifty nine

paying customers are paying customers. If they want uptake, their pricing needs to be more competitive rather than raising rates.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to rossies

Re: At my curb but not my house

At least FIOS is near for you. They haven't even announced interest in deploying FIOS to the midwest even though we've had Verizon as a DSL carrier out here for 10+ years.

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

I don't see FiOS within 300 miles of my location, and I am in partial ATT 3G coverage.

That looks worse than terrible.

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

What about those who want FIOS but can't get it?

I'm in a verizon area. I would love to get FIOS here, as I want more upstream especially and time warner cable just can't/won't even provide what they advertise let alone anything better. I however live in an older neighborhood with decades old copper and therefore my best service I can get from Verizon is 1.5mbps/384kbps ADSL.. A friend of mine about 8 miles away however is in a newer development that was lucky enough to have FIOS deployed to it and she has 20mbps/5mbps service and it beats the pants off even my time Warner cable service. My friend is the only person I know in the Lancaster area that has FIOS. Why doesn't Verizon realize that there are people such as myself who want FIOS service and would do anything to get it if only Verizon would make it available! The average person if they have a stable connection and they don't care about speed will happily stick to low speed DSL and be perfectly happy. But for those of us who need the speed, especially in the upstream direction, verizon should concentrate on deploying to their entire footprint! When FIOS came around I was so excited, I figured that within a couple years I'd be on a FIOS connection myself. Now it looks as though that will never happen. How can Verizon not want new customers to sign up for an awesome service? If they deploy the damn service, I can tell you users will come, especially here in a crappy Time Warner area. Get it together Verizon, and deploy to all your customers, so everyone can enjoy your services!

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to tiger72

said by tiger72:

paying customers are paying customers. If they want uptake, their pricing needs to be more competitive rather than raising rates.
They're already cheaper than cable in many places. The only reason cable is cheaper in some places is because cable is feeling the heat from competition.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to N3OGH

Re: Can FiOS compete?

said by N3OGH:

IMHO, this is the long term goal. Verizon has NO INTEREST in staying in the copper business. Just ask the good folks of the State of Vermont. Verizon plans on being an all fiber optic company some day.....
If that's the case then Verizon should speed up rather than slow down its FiOS deployments. The uptake of FiOS will remain 0% in the areas where it's not deployed. Verizon's statements seem more like a lack of long term commitment to FiOS than a long term strategy to replace copper. Maybe Verizon is planning to just be a wireless company.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
Well of course it will be zero in areas of non deployment.

Keep in mind the cost of marketing these services. IF, they can concentrate their advertising dollars in areas of existing deployment, they can increase the uptake in that particular area, getting the most bang for the marketing buck.

They can't put it everywhere overnight. They would go out of business. They need to see SOME ROI on the existing build out, or they could run the company right into the ground.

I waited for years to get Fios where I live. Half the town had it, the other did not. It sucked waiting, but I understand the strategy, and I believe it to be sound from a business standpoint.

Just my opinion...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

dak70

join:2007-05-01
Warminster, PA
reply to iansltx
I have FiOS and I had Comcast. The FiOS video is superior especially on non-HD content. The HD content is only marginally better. But the average non-tech customers will not pay more for video quality that is arguably better. In my area, Comcast is offering data speeds that are close to FiOS low to mid level speed. Again the average non-techy customer does not care about 15Mb or 12Mb. If the price is 10 bucks a month cheaper, 12Mb will do just fine. And the only paying customers who care about upload speed are tech users, possibly gamers, and work at home users. I have worked at home with Comcast and FiOS. There is no difference.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Z80A

said by Z80A:

And so long as they raise prices like cable, they will have difficultly competing with cable.

Price is king. Speed isn't.

IOW, if they expect to see an uptake with their endless price increases...they're in for a long wait.
Do you really see any people here canceling FiOS and going back to cable because they raise the prices? Didn't think so.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit
reply to kd6cae

Re: What about those who want FIOS but can't get it?

I feel for you.
I live in Madison, NJ and Verizon put in FIOS for the "whole" town some 2 1/2 years ago and I know lots of people using them. EXCEPT for my street! My street has the cabling underground (it's 35++ years old and badly in need of replacement) but will Verizon tell me when they will pull the line down the street. NOPE!
I have called many times and they either say they will ask the engineers and return my call (they never return) or they tell me they have no idea, but it will happen...."eventually".

What a lousy service for a Verizon area. They wander in and supply 99% of the town and avoid anything with an underground cable. There must surely be a law against these kind of treatment.
No wonder I dropped Verizon about 8 years ago when I complained about the SDSL service. They then told me that despite my paying them $200.00pm they were a "voice company not a data company". I dropped them immediately thereafter.

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

1 recommendation

That is a hell of a moral booster.

Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said the company's employees are "not going to get paid very much if they don’t get to 40%" penetration in existing FiOS markets.

I'm sure he includes himself in that statement.
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.