dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-19 16:36:42: Akamai recently released their latest "State of the Internet Report," (registration required) which every quarter covers a number of topics including broadband penetration, broadband speeds, security, and more. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

1 recommendation

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Isp need a life.

we are 18 over all but, yet they want to cap and meter us to death.
geonap
lolatidiots
join:2005-12-14
Los Angeles, CA

2 recommendations

geonap

we gotta do what we gotta do!

look, if we dont cap our speeds and meter, the terrorists will win.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 recommendation

Z80A

Premium Member

That isn't what is available

It only reflects what people choose to buy.
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

1 edit

cooldude9919

said by Z80A:

If 50mb/50mb fiber was available to everyone for the same price they where paying now i would bet they would have that instead.

My point being whats available does have an affect on what people purchase.
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

2 recommendations

beaups to Z80A

to Z80A
EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

Karl Bode to Z80A

News Guy

to Z80A
In reality it probably reflects both, though you'd need more granular market by market data to really see.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to cooldude9919

Premium Member

to cooldude9919
Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

Connection speed is not internet speed

Many places have "metro" networks that run at 100M - and that skews the numbers. They work great for DC++ (I have friends who share a DVD rip in a matter of 10 minutes) , however the speed outside the metro network usually doesn't get so high.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

broadband

I have FTTH with 5mb down and 6.5mb upload and only paying 39.95 a month for it and I wish I have a faster speed for download.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A

Re: That isn't what is available

said by Z80A:

Yes. What happened to all the gigabit speeds in Korea we always hear about? Are they real? Are they generally available? Or are they so costly, nobody wants to pay for them.
Expand your moderator at work

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A

said by Z80A:

So then, what you really mean to say, is price v speed, is still way out of wack, and we are still getting ripped off, be the connection slow or fast.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant..

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to treich

Premium Member

to treich

Re: broadband

is that 5mb down and 6.5mb up a typo? never heard of an isp selling faster upload than download.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

avg 1.0/1.0

on this so called 15/2

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to thegeek

to thegeek

Re: broadband

no that isnt no typo if you want me to I will show you in a speed test.

the reason why the download is slower the upload is because my ISP caps the download at 5mb.

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673

-

Explain the joke that ATT is caping on upload speed at 400 kbps? Come on man!
SuperWISP
join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

1 edit

SuperWISP

Some people really are downgrading due to the economy.

I'm an ISP, and I'm getting the calls: "Can we just downgrade to the "economy" plan? It's fast enough for us."

It's also worth noting that while ISPs are increasing capacity, demand for bandwidth is outstripping the amount that ISPs can afford to invest in infrastructure because consumers refuse to pay more to get more. We have lots of users who expect us to make things faster as the bandwidth demands of applications increase, but do not want to pay any more for the higher speeds. This even though our cost per Mbps has gone up a bit, not down, during the past year.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to N3OGH

Premium Member

to N3OGH

said by N3OGH:

Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey
I thought it was just a toll booth when traveling along North East Coast.
KingKuei6
join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA

KingKuei6

It's not that bad...

I'm actually quite surprised by Akamai's report as I was actually expecting an average downstream speed of LESS than 3mbps. Many of my friends and family members who are on DSL are getting only 384kbps (economy plan) to 1.5mbps, and do not seem willing to spend more for extra speed as a previous poster pointed out.

But it's clear that the path we're currently on is unsustainable. Consumers are hungry for bandwidth, whether it be wireless or wired. But upgrading the backhaul infrastructure in a country as big as ours is expensive and by the time one upgrade is complete, the development of content already saturates that new capacity, requiring yet another significant deployment of resources to infrastructure upgrades.

Did anyone notice that the top 10 countries on that list ALL happen to be either small islands or small countries? It's much easier and much cheaper to deploy and upgrade infrastructure across smaller geographic areas, and much more cost-effective when population concentrations are centered around a handful of major metropolitan centers. Compare that to the large suburban populations around the US, plus our significantly larger land mass, then add in higher cost of labor, and all of a sudden, you have massive cost issues, longer deployment times, all with smaller ROIs. And of course, the major players in the US are publicly-traded, and investors don't look favorably upon large capital expenditures without subsequent increases in revenue, earnings, market share, etc. Look at the flak Verizon got when they first announced their plan to build the FiOS network. Plenty of investors screamed bloody murder! It's already amazing that service providers can charge what they do for some of these connections and still remain in business.

I'm paying $78/month for Comcast's DOCSIS 3 tier from which I get 22mbps/5mbps on non-PowerBoosted state (30/10 when PB is active), which I don't think is necessarily unreasonable given the capabilities that the speed provides for. I can do 3-way video conferencing on my line, watch 720p videos without ridiculous buffer/download times. Things that take an hour on my friends' slow DSL lines take seconds to minutes on mine. And thus far, my content uses haven't outpaced the available speed. And I happen to live in a suburban community, so I'm just relieved that I can get this. Would I like to pay less? Sure. Who wouldn't? But is it an unreasonable price for what I'm getting? Not necessarily. Market competition can only bring prices so low. At the end of the day, the providers still need to balance the need to make money, appease their investors, while also staying competitive. It's a tough balancing act, and one which I think is only getting more difficult as Internet content places greater demands on the network.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112

Horseshit.

As I posted on Slashdot. Sandy Utah has no such speed available. Utopia isn't in Sandy and won't ever be in Sandy while the current councilmen and Mayor are in office. I have spoken to them about it, they are happy they voted it down years ago because Utopia is going to have to call in the sales tax commitment from member cities.

I live in Sandy, in one the heart of the city and these speeds do NOT exist. Sandy is not in Utopia, nor will it ever be. Akamia's entire paper is garbage if the city listed with the fastest internet doesn't even have such a speed. The highest speed possible in Sandy is what is available through Comcast, currently the 16Mbs plan, unless you buy your own direct DS3 or higher.

The report is garbage, I'm glad it got publicity though, for the publicity has pointed out that it's an unreliable piece of crap that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A

said by Z80A:

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.
Wow, you speak for us all, do you? Reminds me of someone else on this site.

So, back up your bold claims.

wolverine_99
Premium Member
join:2004-12-07
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

wolverine_99 to beaups

Premium Member

to beaups
That's exactly my first thought. How many people have scaled back their internet speeds in an effort to save money? I have several friends who scaled back their speeds in an effort to save money but still keep HSI. Let's look at this again when the economy is fully recovered in 2-3 years. You'll see a different tune from normal Americans. No offense, but anyone on BBR is not a normal broadband user. I'd consider BBR users to be power users who will sacrifice elsewhere to maintain higher speeds when faced with a budget shortfall at home.

DenisRis
@opera-mini.net

DenisRis to KingKuei6

Anon

to KingKuei6

Re: It's not that bad...

To mitigate the capital expenditure costs of individual companies, and propagate the expansion of high speed internet services what should happen is the state should take over the pipes, tax payers pay for expansion, maintenance and future upgrades while the ISPs lease the lines from the State. It provides a level playing field for the ISPs to compete on without directly incurring capital expenditure costs. This also allows new entrants to offer services driving down the cost of the service.

The only way I can see the expansion of fiber to continue at its current rate sustainably (or even accelerate) is for someone big who doesn't have to answer to shareholders to take over.

Afterall we entrusted the state to build the national railway network and highway network now the future is the infrastructure required for carrying the internet.

My 0.02$
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to rahvin112

to rahvin112

Re: Horseshit.

Are there any web hosts who call your city home? That's what appears to be the issue in a few US cities.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to jmn1207

to jmn1207

Delaware and New Jersey are the armpit of America !
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to FFH5

to FFH5
Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
noname10
join:2009-10-14

noname10

said by BosstonesOwn:

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
You don't sound like you know much at all about how Akamai works with when you dumb things like "but these are measures to an akamai pop." Nope, that's not how Akamai works. Anyway there is no better way or any other company in the world better positioned for this type of data.
Expand your moderator at work
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to rahvin112

to rahvin112

Re: Horseshit.

said by rahvin112:

As I posted on Slashdot. Sandy Utah has no such speed available. Utopia isn't in Sandy and won't ever be in Sandy while the current councilmen and Mayor are in office. I have spoken to them about it, they are happy they voted it down years ago because Utopia is going to have to call in the sales tax commitment from member cities.

I live in Sandy, in one the heart of the city and these speeds do NOT exist. Sandy is not in Utopia, nor will it ever be. Akamia's entire paper is garbage if the city listed with the fastest internet doesn't even have such a speed. The highest speed possible in Sandy is what is available through Comcast, currently the 16Mbs plan, unless you buy your own direct DS3 or higher.

The report is garbage, I'm glad it got publicity though, for the publicity has pointed out that it's an unreliable piece of crap that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
I read the slashdot comments too, and there were a few people explaining the innaccuracies as the result of Akamai not being able to localize their data to individual cities properly. You`re just being irrationally angry.

More importantly, could you explain what you`re referring to when you say "sales tax commitment" for UTOPIA member states?

And while maybe the councilmen and mayor are happy, I`m pretty darn sure the residents wouldn`t be happy if they understood what they were being deprived of.
page: 1 · 2 · next