spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-19 16:36:42: Akamai recently released their latest "State of the Internet Report," (registration required) which every quarter covers a number of topics including broadband penetration, broadband speeds, security, and more. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to SuperWISP

Re: Some people really are downgrading due to the economy.

said by SuperWISP:

I'm an ISP, and I'm getting the calls: "Can we just downgrade to the "economy" plan? It's fast enough for us."
Really? That would explain why DSL providers are still hemorrhaging customers to cable, and why they`re bothering to upgrade to FTTN or FTTH, how?

quote:
It's also worth noting that while ISPs are increasing capacity, demand for bandwidth is outstripping the amount that ISPs can afford to invest in infrastructure because consumers refuse to pay more to get more. We have lots of users who expect us to make things faster as the bandwidth demands of applications increase, but do not want to pay any more for the higher speeds. This even though our cost per Mbps has gone up a bit, not down, during the past year.

I`m having trouble understanding your claims.

Do you have any actual data to prove that the cost of increasing capacity of networks is outripping the amount that ISPS have to invest? And aren`t consumers willing to pay more for higher speed tiers?

People are willing to pay more for higher-speed tiers. That`s the way every ISP system works.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to KingKuei6

Re: It's not that bad...

said by KingKuei6:

I'm paying $78/month for Comcast's DOCSIS 3 tier from which I get 22mbps/5mbps on non-PowerBoosted state (30/10 when PB is active), which I don't think is necessarily unreasonable given the capabilities that the speed provides for.
Personally,
Paying $78 for ANY internet speed is stupid!! Granted, I know if you want to go faster, you pay more, but if you're so greedy you have to start paying THAT much for internet, that's beyond my reasoning capabilities!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

Bull'whooooy on average speed !

That fast access line is a CROCK ..!

Sure ..my UVerse 6Meg access gives me 5.7 Meg to my AT&T network connection point .. then my speed tests beyond that drop off by over 50% !!!!

I had EarthLink 1.5 Meg DSL for $29.95/mo.
Now I have AT&T 6Meg DSL for $35.00/mo.

It seems the faster the access line, the more you pay and the less you actually get across the Internet for the speed you think your paying for !!

It's very obvious to me ..that the overall Internet infrastructure really SUCKS and can not keep up with demand !
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

KingKuei6

join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA
reply to cork1958

Re: It's not that bad...

And no offense, but you basically fit into the average population of a provider's subscriber base. If your sense of reasonable price is say $30/month, then that's what the providers have to target. If that means providing 3.0mbps max, then that's what you'll get. There are others who are paying $100-$130 for even faster connections. Verizon DSL meets your needs; fine. Perhaps you don't have any uses for a faster pipe, but others do. That doesn't make us greedy, it just means that we have applications or content that require it, such as 3-way video conferencing, large batch uploads, VOIP, etc.

Let's face it though. You can go get 56k dial up for $5 a month. It takes you to the same Internet, right? Why not just pay for that instead of whatever you're paying now: $13, $20, $30+ for DSL? But obviously webpages are no longer just static lines of text with cheesy clip art graphics. Now it's rich content with images and videos and ads. So you needed a faster pipe, because waiting 78 seconds for the NYTimes to load on 56k is painful when it might take just a few seconds on a faster connection. Waiting 1 hour to download a program like Adobe Acrobat is probably not an experience worth having on 56k. So you see, at some point content will necessitate the need for a bigger pipe. The hope is that BEFORE that happens, those faster pipes will have already made it to the average consumer at a price point that they average consumer is willing to pay.

But my point was that the service providers are EXPECTED to provide this service, but the marginal revenue generated from lower cost services, means that they need wide user adoption in order to recoup and offset the massive costs of infrastructure development. But content is moving far quicker than infrastructure at this point, and I was simply trying to drive in the issue of sustainability of the current business model. At some point, something major is going to have to change if we're to keep up.

Expand your moderator at work

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

double-speak

Maybe everyone is now getting "packet prioritized" and it just seems slower

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23
reply to gatorkram

Re: That isn't what is available

dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

Unless you can prove otherwise.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
reply to wolverine_99

I'm helping a number of neighbors switch from cable broadband ($50/month) to AT&T's new DSL promo ($25/month for 12 months).

Most here in my neighborhood are only provisioning at 3MB, but at half the price of cable it's worth it to them.

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

Sad Times For America

1. Lousy Broadband.

2. Banking meltdown.

3. Government run by corrupt officials.

Yes this is the end of America as we know it.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to noname10

Worked there with engineers for awhile , akamai captures data based on their locations , the database is huge and yes I worked with it.

These are speed measures dependent on who hits the closest akamai server. And it averages out how much data a particular region uses on average. This measures how much data leaves each server and is averaged out based on each pop in the region where the servers lay.

I worked there and worked with the data. I may have phrased it to simplistic for your mind ?
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

You can never phrase anything too simplistically for my mind. It seems that this Akamai data is becoming a bit of a benchmark of sorts. It's as good a place for anyone to start when researching regional broadband performance, although this is such an inexact science.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Exactly , and until we have an easy exact science , this can be taken with a grain of salt.

Relying on one companies benchmarks, no matter how big the company is in the internet world is a big mistake.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

KingKuei6

join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA
reply to TMMerlin

Re: Bull'whooooy on average speed !

Not quite sure what you mean by your "AT&T Network Connection Point". If you mean that you get 5.7Mbps (approx. 730KBps), from your computer to modem, then either your network card is too slow (10Base-T) or the port on the modem/router you're using is slow (10Base-T). But if your speed test is showing 50% less than what you are paying for, then clearly you need to have a chat with AT&T about that, or you need to examine your networking hardware to see if it provides at least 100Base-T on both ends of the connection. Obviously, with people getting sustained speeds of 50mbps+, it's not the overall "Internet infrastructure" but rather the infrastructure to which you connect to the main backbones that is creating a bottleneck. But DSL is horrendous though. Ping times are uninspiring, and PPPoE authentication can be such a pain sometimes when router equipment doesn't play nice with the myriad of modems that are supplied by AT&T, whether SpeedStream, 2Wire, or otherwise.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: Bull'whooooy on average speed !

KingKuei6

My Network Connection Point is the first AT&T node my RG connects to [Southfiled, Mi]. My house LAN is 100Base-T and Wifi when I use it is currently clocking at 54Mbps. So, between my laptop and Southfield is pretty much what I planned for.

I have done progressively distance based speed tests and have seen Ping Times and throughput drop off to nearly 50% less than I see to Southfield.

I have used AT&T's speed test site and speed test.net.
The results are correspondlngly similar.
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to geonap

Re: we gotta do what we gotta do!

said by geonap:

look, if we dont cap our speeds and meter, the terrorists will win.
I thought the capping and metering was being done for the children.

geonap
lolatidiots

join:2005-12-14
Los Angeles, CA
reply to geonap

hmm, it could be for our grand parents to save money

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Z80A

said by Z80A:

dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

So you make bold claims, which I dispute, and you tell me to go find my own answers. Typical. And again, you sure seem to think, you know what everyone on earth is doing and thinking.

You are even changing your statement, as you said "I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States." Which doesn't really tie in with the new statement you made.

It seems to me, even you don't know what you mean, or are talking about, or have the ability to express one idea, and stick to it.

So yeah, sure. People having poor internet speeds, is all about them not wanting more speed, and has nothing to do with price. Or wait, no, they don't need higher speeds, because they have other sources of information and entertainment.. Yeah, that must be it too...
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

jadebangle
Premium
join:2007-05-22
reply to geonap

what do you mean?

jadebangle
Premium
reply to beaups

said by beaups:

EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.
I have the option of scaling back to 1mb but i'll stay at 20mb for 70 a month. 1mb is 30 a month. so 40 buck saving will lose me 19mb, no thanks!

jadebangle
Premium
reply to XBL2009

Re: Sad Times For America

said by XBL2009:

1. Lousy Broadband.

2. Banking meltdown.

3. Government run by corrupt officials.

Yes this is the end of America as we know it.
I disagree. The world is actually getting better. Corruption is being exposed and people are starting to realize its a lie all along. The world isn't much different then it was 50 years ago or 100 years ago. survival of the fittest we are still struggling and we always will. HD capacity increased to 2TB and soon 2.5TB and 3TB
the world is changing everyday and all you care is faster broadband connection? lol. Most people wouldn't notice the difference between 1mb and 100mbit! they are asleep.

geonap
lolatidiots

join:2005-12-14
Los Angeles, CA
reply to geonap

what? you haven't heard the excuse "its for the children, it's to stop terrorism or it's to save money for our grandmothers" ? you should search the grandmothers on dslreports

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to jadebangle

You say most people but forget that different people have different needs. Some people are fine with the minivan approach and some need a truck.

Also America is becoming more and more a corporate state. Pretty soon we won't have a congress.

semaj81

join:2002-08-12
Marietta, OH

Right.. and the last time we had an honest congress? Since when have they put anything to a vote that had more than their own personal interests at stake? I can't remember, been on this earth for 28 years now, will never change.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Z80A

said by Z80A:

We have 50Mbps Fios and 15Mbps cable available.

A survey of 23 neighbors reveals that most choose to buy 768K (now 1M) DSL or 1.5Mbps cable modems. Two have 10M Fios. We have 768K cable, chosen to save money ($27/mo).

DSLR forum members are mostly power users, not exactly representative of the average American demographic. Most households are NOT purchasing the maximum speed available.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL
reply to XBL2009

said by XBL2009:

You say most people but forget that different people have different needs. Some people are fine with the minivan approach and some need a truck.

Also America is becoming more and more a corporate state. Pretty soon we won't have a congress.
Not with my vote...
--
»www.freedombuild.net »www.freedom-builders.biz