spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-19 16:36:42: Akamai recently released their latest "State of the Internet Report," (registration required) which every quarter covers a number of topics including broadband penetration, broadband speeds, security, and more. ..

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Isp need a life.

we are 18 over all but, yet they want to cap and meter us to death.
geonap
lolatidiots

join:2005-12-14
Los Angeles, CA

2 recommendations

we gotta do what we gotta do!

look, if we dont cap our speeds and meter, the terrorists will win.
Expand your moderator at work
Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Re: we gotta do what we gotta do!

said by geonap:

look, if we dont cap our speeds and meter, the terrorists will win.
I thought the capping and metering was being done for the children.
geonap
lolatidiots

Los Angeles, CA
hmm, it could be for our grand parents to save money

jadebangle
Premium
join:2007-05-22
what do you mean?
geonap
lolatidiots

Los Angeles, CA
what? you haven't heard the excuse "its for the children, it's to stop terrorism or it's to save money for our grandmothers" ? you should search the grandmothers on dslreports

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23

1 recommendation

That isn't what is available

It only reflects what people choose to buy.
cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

1 edit

Re: That isn't what is available

said by Z80A:

If 50mb/50mb fiber was available to everyone for the same price they where paying now i would bet they would have that instead.

My point being whats available does have an affect on what people purchase.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

said by N3OGH:

Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey
I thought it was just a toll booth when traveling along North East Coast.
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

Delaware and New Jersey are the armpit of America !
beaups

join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

2 recommendations

EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.

wolverine_99
Premium
join:2004-12-07
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

That's exactly my first thought. How many people have scaled back their internet speeds in an effort to save money? I have several friends who scaled back their speeds in an effort to save money but still keep HSI. Let's look at this again when the economy is fully recovered in 2-3 years. You'll see a different tune from normal Americans. No offense, but anyone on BBR is not a normal broadband user. I'd consider BBR users to be power users who will sacrifice elsewhere to maintain higher speeds when faced with a budget shortfall at home.
ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

I'm helping a number of neighbors switch from cable broadband ($50/month) to AT&T's new DSL promo ($25/month for 12 months).

Most here in my neighborhood are only provisioning at 3MB, but at half the price of cable it's worth it to them.

jadebangle
Premium
join:2007-05-22
said by beaups:

EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.
I have the option of scaling back to 1mb but i'll stay at 20mb for 70 a month. 1mb is 30 a month. so 40 buck saving will lose me 19mb, no thanks!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit
In reality it probably reflects both, though you'd need more granular market by market data to really see.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Z80A:

Yes. What happened to all the gigabit speeds in Korea we always hear about? Are they real? Are they generally available? Or are they so costly, nobody wants to pay for them.
BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"
noname10

join:2009-10-14

said by BosstonesOwn:

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
You don't sound like you know much at all about how Akamai works with when you dumb things like "but these are measures to an akamai pop." Nope, that's not how Akamai works. Anyway there is no better way or any other company in the world better positioned for this type of data.
BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Worked there with engineers for awhile , akamai captures data based on their locations , the database is huge and yes I worked with it.

These are speed measures dependent on who hits the closest akamai server. And it averages out how much data a particular region uses on average. This measures how much data leaves each server and is averaged out based on each pop in the region where the servers lay.

I worked there and worked with the data. I may have phrased it to simplistic for your mind ?
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

You can never phrase anything too simplistically for my mind. It seems that this Akamai data is becoming a bit of a benchmark of sorts. It's as good a place for anyone to start when researching regional broadband performance, although this is such an inexact science.
BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Exactly , and until we have an easy exact science , this can be taken with a grain of salt.

Relying on one companies benchmarks, no matter how big the company is in the internet world is a big mistake.
--

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by Z80A:

So then, what you really mean to say, is price v speed, is still way out of wack, and we are still getting ripped off, be the connection slow or fast.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant..
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

Z80A
Premium

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Z80A:

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.
Wow, you speak for us all, do you? Reminds me of someone else on this site.

So, back up your bold claims.
--

Z80A
Premium

dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

Unless you can prove otherwise.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Z80A:

dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

So you make bold claims, which I dispute, and you tell me to go find my own answers. Typical. And again, you sure seem to think, you know what everyone on earth is doing and thinking.

You are even changing your statement, as you said "I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States." Which doesn't really tie in with the new statement you made.

It seems to me, even you don't know what you mean, or are talking about, or have the ability to express one idea, and stick to it.

So yeah, sure. People having poor internet speeds, is all about them not wanting more speed, and has nothing to do with price. Or wait, no, they don't need higher speeds, because they have other sources of information and entertainment.. Yeah, that must be it too...
--
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by Z80A:

We have 50Mbps Fios and 15Mbps cable available.

A survey of 23 neighbors reveals that most choose to buy 768K (now 1M) DSL or 1.5Mbps cable modems. Two have 10M Fios. We have 768K cable, chosen to save money ($27/mo).

DSLR forum members are mostly power users, not exactly representative of the average American demographic. Most households are NOT purchasing the maximum speed available.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

Connection speed is not internet speed

Many places have "metro" networks that run at 100M - and that skews the numbers. They work great for DC++ (I have friends who share a DVD rip in a matter of 10 minutes) , however the speed outside the metro network usually doesn't get so high.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

broadband

I have FTTH with 5mb down and 6.5mb upload and only paying 39.95 a month for it and I wish I have a faster speed for download.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

Re: broadband

is that 5mb down and 6.5mb up a typo? never heard of an isp selling faster upload than download.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Re: broadband

no that isnt no typo if you want me to I will show you in a speed test.

the reason why the download is slower the upload is because my ISP caps the download at 5mb.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

avg 1.0/1.0

on this so called 15/2

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

-

Explain the joke that ATT is caping on upload speed at 400 kbps? Come on man!
SuperWISP

join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

1 edit

Some people really are downgrading due to the economy.

I'm an ISP, and I'm getting the calls: "Can we just downgrade to the "economy" plan? It's fast enough for us."

It's also worth noting that while ISPs are increasing capacity, demand for bandwidth is outstripping the amount that ISPs can afford to invest in infrastructure because consumers refuse to pay more to get more. We have lots of users who expect us to make things faster as the bandwidth demands of applications increase, but do not want to pay any more for the higher speeds. This even though our cost per Mbps has gone up a bit, not down, during the past year.
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

Re: Some people really are downgrading due to the economy.

said by SuperWISP:

I'm an ISP, and I'm getting the calls: "Can we just downgrade to the "economy" plan? It's fast enough for us."
Really? That would explain why DSL providers are still hemorrhaging customers to cable, and why they`re bothering to upgrade to FTTN or FTTH, how?

quote:
It's also worth noting that while ISPs are increasing capacity, demand for bandwidth is outstripping the amount that ISPs can afford to invest in infrastructure because consumers refuse to pay more to get more. We have lots of users who expect us to make things faster as the bandwidth demands of applications increase, but do not want to pay any more for the higher speeds. This even though our cost per Mbps has gone up a bit, not down, during the past year.

I`m having trouble understanding your claims.

Do you have any actual data to prove that the cost of increasing capacity of networks is outripping the amount that ISPS have to invest? And aren`t consumers willing to pay more for higher speed tiers?

People are willing to pay more for higher-speed tiers. That`s the way every ISP system works.
KingKuei6

join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA

It's not that bad...

I'm actually quite surprised by Akamai's report as I was actually expecting an average downstream speed of LESS than 3mbps. Many of my friends and family members who are on DSL are getting only 384kbps (economy plan) to 1.5mbps, and do not seem willing to spend more for extra speed as a previous poster pointed out.

But it's clear that the path we're currently on is unsustainable. Consumers are hungry for bandwidth, whether it be wireless or wired. But upgrading the backhaul infrastructure in a country as big as ours is expensive and by the time one upgrade is complete, the development of content already saturates that new capacity, requiring yet another significant deployment of resources to infrastructure upgrades.

Did anyone notice that the top 10 countries on that list ALL happen to be either small islands or small countries? It's much easier and much cheaper to deploy and upgrade infrastructure across smaller geographic areas, and much more cost-effective when population concentrations are centered around a handful of major metropolitan centers. Compare that to the large suburban populations around the US, plus our significantly larger land mass, then add in higher cost of labor, and all of a sudden, you have massive cost issues, longer deployment times, all with smaller ROIs. And of course, the major players in the US are publicly-traded, and investors don't look favorably upon large capital expenditures without subsequent increases in revenue, earnings, market share, etc. Look at the flak Verizon got when they first announced their plan to build the FiOS network. Plenty of investors screamed bloody murder! It's already amazing that service providers can charge what they do for some of these connections and still remain in business.

I'm paying $78/month for Comcast's DOCSIS 3 tier from which I get 22mbps/5mbps on non-PowerBoosted state (30/10 when PB is active), which I don't think is necessarily unreasonable given the capabilities that the speed provides for. I can do 3-way video conferencing on my line, watch 720p videos without ridiculous buffer/download times. Things that take an hour on my friends' slow DSL lines take seconds to minutes on mine. And thus far, my content uses haven't outpaced the available speed. And I happen to live in a suburban community, so I'm just relieved that I can get this. Would I like to pay less? Sure. Who wouldn't? But is it an unreasonable price for what I'm getting? Not necessarily. Market competition can only bring prices so low. At the end of the day, the providers still need to balance the need to make money, appease their investors, while also staying competitive. It's a tough balancing act, and one which I think is only getting more difficult as Internet content places greater demands on the network.

•••••
rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

Horseshit.

As I posted on Slashdot. Sandy Utah has no such speed available. Utopia isn't in Sandy and won't ever be in Sandy while the current councilmen and Mayor are in office. I have spoken to them about it, they are happy they voted it down years ago because Utopia is going to have to call in the sales tax commitment from member cities.

I live in Sandy, in one the heart of the city and these speeds do NOT exist. Sandy is not in Utopia, nor will it ever be. Akamia's entire paper is garbage if the city listed with the fastest internet doesn't even have such a speed. The highest speed possible in Sandy is what is available through Comcast, currently the 16Mbs plan, unless you buy your own direct DS3 or higher.

The report is garbage, I'm glad it got publicity though, for the publicity has pointed out that it's an unreliable piece of crap that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Re: Horseshit.

Are there any web hosts who call your city home? That's what appears to be the issue in a few US cities.
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
said by rahvin112:

As I posted on Slashdot. Sandy Utah has no such speed available. Utopia isn't in Sandy and won't ever be in Sandy while the current councilmen and Mayor are in office. I have spoken to them about it, they are happy they voted it down years ago because Utopia is going to have to call in the sales tax commitment from member cities.

I live in Sandy, in one the heart of the city and these speeds do NOT exist. Sandy is not in Utopia, nor will it ever be. Akamia's entire paper is garbage if the city listed with the fastest internet doesn't even have such a speed. The highest speed possible in Sandy is what is available through Comcast, currently the 16Mbs plan, unless you buy your own direct DS3 or higher.

The report is garbage, I'm glad it got publicity though, for the publicity has pointed out that it's an unreliable piece of crap that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
I read the slashdot comments too, and there were a few people explaining the innaccuracies as the result of Akamai not being able to localize their data to individual cities properly. You`re just being irrationally angry.

More importantly, could you explain what you`re referring to when you say "sales tax commitment" for UTOPIA member states?

And while maybe the councilmen and mayor are happy, I`m pretty darn sure the residents wouldn`t be happy if they understood what they were being deprived of.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

Bull'whooooy on average speed !

That fast access line is a CROCK ..!

Sure ..my UVerse 6Meg access gives me 5.7 Meg to my AT&T network connection point .. then my speed tests beyond that drop off by over 50% !!!!

I had EarthLink 1.5 Meg DSL for $29.95/mo.
Now I have AT&T 6Meg DSL for $35.00/mo.

It seems the faster the access line, the more you pay and the less you actually get across the Internet for the speed you think your paying for !!

It's very obvious to me ..that the overall Internet infrastructure really SUCKS and can not keep up with demand !
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.
KingKuei6

join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA

Re: Bull'whooooy on average speed !

Not quite sure what you mean by your "AT&T Network Connection Point". If you mean that you get 5.7Mbps (approx. 730KBps), from your computer to modem, then either your network card is too slow (10Base-T) or the port on the modem/router you're using is slow (10Base-T). But if your speed test is showing 50% less than what you are paying for, then clearly you need to have a chat with AT&T about that, or you need to examine your networking hardware to see if it provides at least 100Base-T on both ends of the connection. Obviously, with people getting sustained speeds of 50mbps+, it's not the overall "Internet infrastructure" but rather the infrastructure to which you connect to the main backbones that is creating a bottleneck. But DSL is horrendous though. Ping times are uninspiring, and PPPoE authentication can be such a pain sometimes when router equipment doesn't play nice with the myriad of modems that are supplied by AT&T, whether SpeedStream, 2Wire, or otherwise.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

KingKuei6

My Network Connection Point is the first AT&T node my RG connects to [Southfiled, Mi]. My house LAN is 100Base-T and Wifi when I use it is currently clocking at 54Mbps. So, between my laptop and Southfield is pretty much what I planned for.

I have done progressively distance based speed tests and have seen Ping Times and throughput drop off to nearly 50% less than I see to Southfield.

I have used AT&T's speed test site and speed test.net.
The results are correspondlngly similar.
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

double-speak

Maybe everyone is now getting "packet prioritized" and it just seems slower

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

Sad Times For America

1. Lousy Broadband.

2. Banking meltdown.

3. Government run by corrupt officials.

Yes this is the end of America as we know it.

••••