spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-20 19:24:28: Updated with Verizon comments at bottom. Like most every ISP, Verizon forwarded copyright notices to customers who are tagged by the entertainment industry's intelligence-gathering organizations as having uploaded copyrighted files. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

Not surprised

They just followed Comcast but have a more harsh punishment.

Underplay

join:2003-10-19
Tacoma, WA

Usenet + Encryption / Private BitTorrent

They can't stop freedom

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

1 edit

Kind of bold statement

"they built their broadband empires on the shoulders of piracy and the promise of free content."

For some I guess but not the majority of users.

And regarding why Verizon is doing this now, it is called Fios TV services. They have a dog in the fight for video dollars now and free video cuts into that.
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

2 edits

Not bold. True. Napster was HUGE in driving customers from dial-up to broadband. Free music was an incredibly dominant driver in broadband adoption for years...even in many cases quietly hinted at in carrier marketing materials...

Now that the conversion of dial-up users has stagnated, and Verizon's interested in building a TV and content empire and protecting its own copyrights, piracy is no longer needed as a growth engine.

EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

1 recommendation

Title...

I'm a bit confused by the post title... "kicking P2P Users off their network" is a bit different than "kicking accused pirates off their network", as the former seems to imply that Verizon is now outright objecting to P2P, while the latter seems to be more what the article is saying?

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

With so many ISPs to choose from

... who cares if Verizon is acting like copyright cop.

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

Maybe in New York but that is definitely not the case in huge parts of the US.

Network Guy
Premium
New York

Meh.. in those parts of the US where ISP selection is limited, I'm sure a network subscriber has bigger things to worry about.. like the job market.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to EPS4

Re: Title...

said by EPS4:

I'm a bit confused by the post title... "kicking P2P Users off their network" is a bit different than "kicking accused pirates off their network", as the former seems to imply that Verizon is now outright objecting to P2P, while the latter seems to be more what the article is saying?
You are assuming those notices are correct and valid from the RIAA etc.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

RIAA/MPAA to Verizon or AT&T to Apple....

Who is getting the larger paycheck?

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA
reply to Network Guy

Re: With so many ISPs to choose from

Not necessarily. What if your choiced for broadband is Verizon and some other company that has a history of filtering, handing out DMCA + piracy notices, and kicking people off?

Expand your moderator at work

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA
reply to Underplay

Re: Usenet + Encryption / Private BitTorrent

My thoughts exactly, when the MAFIAA (+ ISPs sometimes) sets out to build a better cat/mouse trap, a better mouse will be built.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to cornelius785

said by cornelius785:

Not necessarily. What if your choiced for broadband is Verizon and some other company that has a history of filtering, handing out DMCA + piracy notices, and kicking people off?
So Verizon would lose those customers they would be happiest to lose.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to EPS4

Right. I was confused as well. There's plenty of legitimate uses for P2P.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to FFH

Which ones? The ones who pay the most for their service?

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

reply to EPS4

They are P2P users, are they not? We know that. Do we know they're pirates? You know they're pirates how, because the entertainment industry just said so? DMCA warnings have been shown to be unreliable, there's no independent verification process.

As far as I know they're just P2P users. Maybe they're pirates. Maybe they aren't. How would we know?

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to jjeffeory

Yeah, the ones who sign up for 50 Mbps service for $130+ a month. You just have to HATE those people.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to Chaldo

Re: Not surprised

Comcast isn't booting people off the network for getting DMCA warnings. Yet.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

4 edits

about other ISPs

well just think about it if customers gets kicked off its not like customers cant find other ISP's to go with. I mean this is great way losing customers over this and I also think its stupid for verizon to do this. Who cares of people are downloading it I mean they are still going to download files by different ways of getting it. There is new software that allow customers download files that ISP's cant filter out or find out any information.

EPS4

Hingham, MA
reply to ptrowski

No, I used the word "accused" for a reason...

EPS4

Hingham, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode

I said "accused pirates"... and I called them accused pirates because the DMCA warnings accuse them of being pirates... I wasn't trying to give an implication of actual guilt in my statement.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to treichhart

Re: about other ISPs

Verizon is participating in the dog and pony show instead of defiantly telling Hollywood to STFU and DIAF. Less, cheaper legal hassle this way.

Of course consumers are inconvenienced. I'd wager those consumers kicked off their network for piracy won't have trouble re-ordering service soon after service termination.

Come think of it... I think Verizon just created a genius revenue stream. There's a reason for jacked up ETFs.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

As far as I know they're just P2P users. Maybe they're pirates. Maybe they aren't. How would we know?
Because of the IP addresses they are accessing to find files aren't legitimate web sites, but are well know pirate sites? I assume that Verizon at least checks that much before kicking a user off their network.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Because of the IP addresses they are accessing to find files aren't legitimate web sites, but are well know pirate sites?
Do you even know how this BitTorrent thing works?

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to treichhart

Re: about other ISPs

You wonder why verizon is selling there services to Frontier lol because verizon screws over there customers with crappy bandwidth and pricing lol.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

Because of the IP addresses they are accessing to find files aren't legitimate web sites, but are well know pirate sites?
Do you even know how this BitTorrent thing works?
You will notice I said "TO FIND FILES" and not to transfer them. Also, the MPAA & RIAA run honey pots and get the IP addresses from users sucked in trying to download copyrighted material.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Underplay

Re: Usenet + Encryption / Private BitTorrent

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
So freedom is not paying for stuff you should? Please go to work and tell your boss you will now work for free so their customers can get free shit. Of course I am assuming you actually have a job.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to Karl Bode

Meh, I have friends on Comcast with the 16/2 plan. They mostly use Usenet these days. I'm paying more for internet than they do, but have a much higher proportion of legal content flowing through my pipe.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

Yeah, the ones who sign up for 50 Mbps service for $130+ a month. You just have to HATE those people.
YES. Because those paying $50/mo are transferring maybe 15 GB/mo. And those paying $130 are transferring 1TB/mo. Hardly proportional.