dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-25 15:06:07: We've long discussed how companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast frequently use artificial consumer-advocacy groups to argue in favor of frequently anti-consumer corporate policy positions. ..

roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955

Premium Member

Good!

Maybe she can pull the .org from these astroturf groups domains.

Then go after the Clear Channels and Fox Broadcastings who want to take over all the local airwaves, newspapers and tv stations.

Maybe there is still hope for the Media Ownership Reform Act. »www.house.gov/hinchey/is ··· ra.shtml
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Let's hope this causes the ISP weasels heartburn!

We had Eight Years of jerking around of by the ISP's lawmaking sock puppets. Hopefully the ISP weasels will get a good jerking around by the FCC!

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

NAACP is such a sell out

Their time has come and gone but the organization with high paying jobs still exists. Got to make money some how to keep the show going. LOL>
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to roc5955

to roc5955

Re: Good!

Unfortunately the Supreme Court has demonstrated that that they can be so right that they are wrong. I wonder if some of the Supreme Courts Justices noses have turned brown from kissing the butts of corporate America. They should have called their decision "The Let Corporations Buy A Lawmaker Decision". If a corporation opposes a law they can now directly buy a lawmaker rather than bribe them indirectly. The Supreme Court decision will make it a lot easier for corporations to undo the Media Ownership Reform Act if it is passed.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

She Talks the Talk but will it have any effect?

While it is nice to see her raise these issues, the real outcome will be if the other 4 on the commission listen to her or just go on with business as usual. Just because she has said something does not mean anything about her not being a pushover. Her comments could still have been issued by the type of commissioner that everyone expected since unless things change, it is all for show not about making changes/a-difference.

Congress is full of this type of behavior. A Congresscritter knows that a bill will pass/not pass (an action that they agree with) but they talk the other stance for show since their voting the other way will have no effect on the outcome yet they can claim that they supported the losing side to the folks back home.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to Corehhi

to Corehhi

Re: NAACP is such a sell out

Some blacks call them "the clan with the tan".

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

Watch out for "unfortunate incidents"

"Commissioner Clyburn, in an amazing freak of nature incident, was simultaneously struck by a falling piano, run over by an out of control vehicle, and strangled by a one-armed man, earlier this evening."

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by winsyrstrife:

"Commissioner Clyburn, in an amazing freak of nature incident, was simultaneously struck by a falling piano, run over by an out of control vehicle, and strangled by a one-armed man, earlier this evening."
"...all within the confines of her closet while she was picking out a new shirt. Police can't explain where the piano came from...."

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Huh?

"Minority broadband rights?" What is that supposed to mean?

Are there broadband ISPS out there which actively disallow members of certain minority groups from purchasing service simply because they are members of said groups?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode to ptrowski

News Guy

to ptrowski

Re: Watch out for "unfortunate incidents"

I have little doubt that there are corporations who kill people if they get in the way of a significant profit, though I doubt that vaguely noticing that minority groups have been hijacked to regurgitate telecom talking points qualifies....

I mean if that was the standard, I would have been killed back in 2004 if not earlier.
Karl Bode

Karl Bode to pnh102

News Guy

to pnh102

Re: Huh?

No. Not currently. Is that the only question you had?

toddbs98
join:2000-07-08
North Little Rock, AR

1 recommendation

toddbs98 to pnh102

to pnh102
Everything is about race,even when race has nothing to do with an issue.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to roc5955

to roc5955

Re: Good!

You can always start a low powered Radio Station.

Clear Channel got the way they did because they have the $$$$ that media companies tend to have. Fox got to be the same way along with CBS. Ever heard of CBS Advertising? CBS Radio?

You are NOT ever going to get rid of Clear Channel Media or Fox.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

No. Not currently. Is that the only question you had?
No, my first question inquired about what "minority broadband rights" are.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to winsyrstrife

Premium Member

to winsyrstrife

said by winsyrstrife:

Skeletons in the closet(as most have) is a much easier way to convince people to play ball. And in Clyburn's case a father who is a long time congresscritter makes the potential to leverage past behavior even more possible.
SuperWISP
join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

SuperWISP

"Network neutrality" regulation truly would hurt minorities.

Legitimate minority organizations are justifiably concerned that the needless regulations would deter deployment, increase costs, lower quality of service, and widen the digital divide. See

»www.blackweb20.com/2010/ ··· nd-plan/

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

Re: Let's hope this causes the ISP weasels heartburn!

said by Mr Matt:

We had Eight Years of jerking around of by the ISP's lawmaking sock puppets. Hopefully the ISP weasels will get a good jerking around by the FCC!
Really, they were that bad?

I would presume that the percentage of people in the USA who could get broadband on 01/20/2009 is far, far greater than it was on 01/20/2001. Almost all of that was done with private money in a relatively unregulated market and most of that investment came about after regulations were loosened. How is all of that "bad" by any measure?

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A to SuperWISP

Premium Member

to SuperWISP

Re: "Network neutrality" regulation truly would hurt minorities.

It would do nothing of the kind other than prevent ISPs from starting to charge twice for content delivery and stop them from abusing their market position to defend their other core business (like voice and video) from innovative and superior competitors.

Any provider who can't mange a profit without draconian network management should go find another line of work.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

We would have if you left your house ! The damn van ran out of gas out there idleing for weeks waiting for you to come out !

You are costing us profits Karl....

Joking aside , I don't think you cost them enough just yet.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

1 recommendation

patcat88 to pnh102

to pnh102

said by pnh102:

"Minority broadband rights?" What is that supposed to mean?

Are there broadband ISPS out there which actively disallow members of certain minority groups from purchasing service simply because they are members of said groups?
No, it means free broadband for anyone who has no W2 reportable income qualifies for welfare programs. The level of myspace profiles and annoying cellphone ringtones clearly show minorities have no problems with access to technology.
SuperWISP
join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

SuperWISP

Another group of concerned minorities

Here's another article about a group of minority elected officials who are very concerned about NN:

»www.blackweb20.com/2010/ ··· d-rules/
SuperWISP

SuperWISP to Z80A

to Z80A

Re: "Network neutrality" regulation truly would hurt minorities.

Actually, it's the rules that would be Draconian.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Underserved minorities?

What are you talking about?

The most under-served is black, white, red, brown and yellow Americans who live 50 miles from a decent hospital, 40 from a local cable provider and no where near any national provider. If you think 1.5 is baaad then you haven't lived yet.

I loved the national telco that advertised 1.5; delivered 512; and bragged in the company brochure the high-speed broadband was 10x faster than dialup based on the 28.8 modem. It hasn't been a standard for at least 15 years or longer. It was my first modem and I've lived in rural America for almost 30 years. .

While the BIG boys are rolling out 50-100Mbps in NYC and 4G for cell; I can't get and I can't use it: no provider, no towers, and sub-standard medical care delivered by a hospital board that cares less if patients live or die.

Don't boo-hoo about minorities, 'cause in rural America, we are all a minority.