dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-26 10:29:59: Verizon this morning released their fourth quarter earnings report, and while things continue to be rosy on the wireless front, Verizon's facing a significant slowdown in wireline services. According to big red, the company added 2. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

1 edit

FutureMon

Cant get it

I just rented a new apartment, just a few blocks from where I was (and where Fios was available) and it's not available at my new place.

Or I would have ordered it. In the mean-time I had to go with Charter cable's $59.97 triple play bundle.

- FM

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8

Re: Cant get it

$59.97 for a triple play? Are you serious? That is a really good deal.

as4
@comcast.net

as4

Anon

i dont know about you i would like to see what they offer for that price. the internet might be like 756 kbps

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

3 edits

FutureMon

It's basic-basic cable (like local channels only), "up to" 5mbps downstream, 512kbps upstream internet and unlimited in-state calling with no contract. The rep also told me that they are gearing up to change the 5mbps plan to 8mbps, and the other faster plans are going to get even more of a speed boost.

If you go to the charter website the same deal is there for $69.97/mo but I got a flyer in the mail with a promo code (which didn't work online btw; I had to call it in).

I would have much rather had the Fios with on demand and a faster net speed, but it is what it is for the moment.

- FM

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to CurGeorge8

Premium Member

to CurGeorge8
said by CurGeorge8:

cox offers similar for $49.99 but what futuremon didn't say is its 'lite internet', 'broadcast basic video' and 'basic phone'
of course that 59.97 isn't the "out the door" price.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

said by dvd536:

said by CurGeorge8:

cox offers similar for $49.99 but what futuremon didn't say is its 'lite internet', 'broadcast basic video' and 'basic phone'
of course that 59.97 isn't the "out the door" price.

On the speedtest.net site the tech pulled up, the bandwidth started out at 20mbps down and when finally done, averaged at 10mbps. The BBR speed test agrees... Not bad for $59 but the cable channel selection really sucks...

- FM

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx to FutureMon

to FutureMon
I am in the same boat, the homes can get it across street but not at the apartment.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
said by FutureMon:

I just rented a new apartment, just a few blocks from where I was (and where Fios was available) and it's not available at my new place.

Or I would have ordered it. In the mean-time I had to go with Charter cable's $59.97 triple play bundle.

Same here, but in a house. Down the hill has FIOS, but not in my neighborhood. LAME!

ivnh8r
@verizon.net

ivnh8r to FutureMon

Anon

to FutureMon
what everyone does not see is verizons plan here they put fios in small populated areas to appease the local government and say they have competition and screw the rural areas.they dont care about them cause there is no money(ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY TO THEM)what the future holds is this ....4G network when its up and running verizon can and will get all those people..everything will be done cellular.You call verizon for service they send you a box through the mail,you the consumer hook it up(NO NEED FOR A TECHNICIAN)IE more layoffs instead of broadband you get everything bundled cellular tv,voice,data
Bear1
join:2009-03-10
New York, NY

2 edits

Bear1

My iDea

Personally im not surprised that this is happening. Fios was a great push but its just probably in some areas they wire a whole building and only get 2 customers. Verizon also has horrible DSL Customer Service over their phone for their Billing, Tech Support, and etc. The only support that you'll ever get is the great guys over at Verizon Direct. I recently just called for a upgrade of my plan the rep on the other end was rude. Verizons prices for their dsl is way too high to compete against Cable provider prices who offer better prices and faster speeds.

Verizon DryLoop.. 3.0mbps their price just increased lol. Now please compare it to Cable prices.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

Re: My iDea

Click for full size
Verizon pricing
Click for full size
DSL Extreme pricing
Their prices are also a little high, even compared to VZ resellers (ie DSL Extreme.. ) Comparing DSL- dryloop service prices...

As far as cable, Charters cable internet pricing is more reasonable than the VZ dryloop.. even with the $10 no tv fee.
»www.charter.com/Visitors ··· uItem=34

(The fee does not apply to the 1 Meg service IIRC.)

As for the customers switching to cable bundles, Verizons pricing for their bundles, compared to the cable companies was more $$ for less service; at least in WI anyway.
Bear1
join:2009-03-10
New York, NY

Bear1

My apologies im talking about my location in nyc.

a dry loop 3mbps for Verizon is $44.99/month with a year contract versus roadrunner cable of speeds up to 15mbps is 44.99/month

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER

Premium Member

Oh, I was talking about Verizons [sold off] Wisconsin operations..

Locally, AT&T 6 Meg dsl dryloop is $45 month with contract, vs $44.95 for RR 15 Meg..
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Woah

Verizon experiences 27.3 percent operating income margin in their wireless division. Holy mother of cow. Talk about a sign of a lack of competition.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Re: Woah

said by sonicmerlin:

Verizon experiences 27.3 percent operating income margin in their wireless division. Holy mother of cow. Talk about a sign of a lack of competition.
Verizon communications is only part owner of Verizon wireless.

SteelerRaw
@twtelecom.net

SteelerRaw

Anon

It's worth noting...

That "only" ~1.2 million of those 2.2 million wireless adds were retail postpaid. The remaining 1 million or so were from resellers such as TracFone. Other than that, another stellar quarter from the irresitable force that is Verzion Wireless...
horseshoe
Premium Member
join:2006-10-11
Upland, CA

horseshoe

Premium Member

Fios

RIP Fios Upland/Ca

mikesterr
join:2008-04-18
Sanford, FL

mikesterr

Re: Fios

said by horseshoe:

RIP Fios Upland/Ca
R U Kidding. its far from Dead. Its an Infant, hasn't even hit puberty yet.
horseshoe
Premium Member
Upland, CA

horseshoe

Premium Member

Maybe so, but by the time it is an adult in this city, I will be in a convalescent setting. A small portion of the city is wired after lots of activity in early to mid 09, then the funeral. City officials receive lots of feedback from residents like how come it all stopped? Kind of like when a new city builds out a water system and runs out of money and leaves portions of the city on wells and others with copper piping. LOL
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

The question is, is there a franchise agreement? and what mandatory buildouts does it contain? Also think about CO boundaries, FIOS is usually built out by CO, not fractions of.

optemino
join:2009-10-13
Patterson, CA

optemino

They REALLY gotta stop

Frontier is one of the WORST companies for phone & internet. They charge like 3x what regular DSL should cost....... along with a 2 yr aggreement.

so, if you want to keep people happy, do something good for once and keep dsl.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Guess Ivan didn't expect weak FiOS fanfare

People are still willing to pay $30 for 3/768 DSL service.

Ivan doesn't see benefit in a product netting anything less than 300% profit.

If their IBEW union gave a shit about fixing problems in states with issues in their copper wire plant, the churn rate would be much smaller.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Guess Ivan didn't expect weak FiOS fanfare

said by tired_runner:

If their IBEW union gave a shit about fixing problems in states with issues in their copper wire plant, the churn rate would be much smaller.
I am one of the biggest critics of unions on BBR forums, but even I can't blame the IEBW for a deteriorating copper plant. Verizon mgt is the cause here. They just don't put the resources in to maintaining that plant any more. Where turnaround on a voice phone complaint would be in hours or a day at most, now it is 3 or 4 days. It saves them money, but it is driving customers to cable voice.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 edit

fifty nine

Which is exactly why Verizon need to share the FiOS lines. By leaving the copper plant to rot they are putting CLECs at a disadvantage and engaging in anticompetitive behavior, which is EXACTLY the same thing they ran crying to the FCC about when it came to RSNs.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
IBEW does not supply labor to Verizon in NYC, CWA has the contract. AT&T uses IBEW...
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Guess I know why universally DSL service is either really good or total bullshit, regardless of carrier.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by tired_runner:

Guess I know why universally DSL service is either really good or total bullshit, regardless of carrier.
What does the union have to do with management`s decisions to invest or not invest in maintaining lines?

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:
said by tired_runner:

What does the union have to do with management`s decisions to invest or not invest in maintaining lines?
Don't you know!!!
Unions are responsible for ALL the evils in the world!

They were even responsible for the Mortgage Market meltdown.
sonicmerlin
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

People are still willing to pay $30 for 3/768 DSL service.

Ivan doesn't see benefit in a product netting anything less than 300% profit.

I can`t believe you just blamed a union for Verizon`s neglect of copper wire plant. Talk about putting ideology before reality.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

1 edit

patcat88

fear mongering

Instead of fear mongering over DSL losses, maybe you should have included this part.
said by »newscenter.verizon.com/p ··· ong.html :

# Broadband connections totaled 9.2 million at the end of the fourth quarter, a 6.3 percent year-over-year increase. This is a net increase of 46,000 from the third quarter 2009, as the increase in FiOS Internet connections more than offset a decrease in DSL-based High Speed Internet connections.
About wireline revenue loss. Verizon is a horse dealer, and a car dealer. A good portion of horse owners are switching to cars, Verizon profits from horses and cars. I guess with Cable and cellphones, $10.95 Verizon POTS Caller ID has no place. Its on my bill.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout

imagine that

Slowing down the build-out and raising prices results in slowed down growth. Imagine that!

My city is/was getting wired, still waiting for it on my street.

Verizon's PA January FTTP street list is identical to the December list. I don't know if that means they just sat on their butts last month, or if the Jan list is outdated.
horseshoe
Premium Member
Upland, CA

horseshoe

Premium Member

Re: imagine that

Your city build plan is identical to my city. See my post above comparing a new city water build out. This looks just like it.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to nowayout

to nowayout
said by nowayout:

Slowing down the build-out and raising prices results in slowed down growth. Imagine that!
Raising prices also assures there's no way they'll get 40% penetration in existing markets so it looks like Verizon is giving up on FiOS.

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Verizon Wireless

VZW is the future of verizon and inner city networks I dont see them targeting anything past city limits. They even neglect those networks and would rather charge you an arm and a leg for vzw internet service when cricket and clear is available for half the cost...
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

1 edit

PDXPLT

Good!

As a very dissatisfied resident in Verizon territory, I'm glad to hear they're taking it in the shorts. Imagine that - they only deploy broadband to a portion of their subscribers, and they end up with poor broadband numbers. Duh. Folks can't buy what's not offered to them.

They'll be leaving soon when Frontier takes over. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, VZ.
paul7986
join:2009-09-09
Nottingham, MD

paul7986

I just got FIOs is coming to my hood - but

In the summer they wired our street with Fios fiber. A week ago I received Fios is coming to your area -go to this website verizon.com/countdown (something like that) to express interest.

I wonder if they do not get enough interest on my slightly rural street they wont offer it? Anyone ever get this mailer and then it was indeed offered and or available a few months later?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: I just got FIOs is coming to my hood - but

said by paul7986:

In the summer they wired our street with Fios fiber. A week ago I received Fios is coming to your area -go to this website verizon.com/countdown (something like that) to express interest.

I wonder if they do not get enough interest on my slightly rural street they wont offer it? Anyone ever get this mailer and then it was indeed offered and or available a few months later?
Sooner or later they will offer it.. if they actually deployed the fiber lines on a given street.. there's no point in passing customers-- intalling fiber terminal boxes and NOT offer the service. When is a totally different story, because even areas as rich as Metro NY was from 2003-2007 Verizon cherry picked like hell and THEN got real prima-donna like when negotiating Cable-Tv franchises. Although most of those problems are gone along with some of the attitude, it's still a phone company selling Internet, Phone (with the POTS taxes & fees) and Cable-TV service with SOME semblence of franchise fee(s). I doubt there are any municipalities that aren't collecting a franchise fee per subscriber as part of your TV service package. These *EXTRA* fees and taxes are added on, and only recently is there some opaque transparency about your TOTAL BOTTOM LINE PRICE. This is more important to know these days since Verizon went ahead and RAISED their standard and stand-alone rates recently, which means their *CONTRACT* fees are also higher and now come with a NASTY 2-year pro-rateable sky-high ETF (early termination fee). Therefore, a triple play can be a triple pain in the ass now and not such a good deal.

So, unless you have NO other choice and/or your other provider(s) are screwing you on QOS, POS (Price of Service).. you'd could be better off not subscribing. YMMV (Your mileage and user experience may vary) even though on average the broadband QOS is better... if there was ONE service that is still probably worth the higher prices most would agree that it's FIOS Internet (ONLY)-- but for $70 a month they could offer symmetric 25/25 instead of 25/15. Most cable companies only offer anything above 10mbit upload on their top tiered package and that's at or above $100 a month (possibly with a DOCSIS 3.0 surcharge/activation fee stuffed in).
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

So frustrating

I live in the city of Lancaster, CA, zip 93535. We cannot get FIOS here, nor do I think we have a chance of getting it here since this is an older neighborhood but by no means are we rural by any means.
I see the ads on the TV for FIOS and I so want to get it, but guess what I can't! All the advertising in the world won't do crap to get Verizon customers
when Verizon I guess outright refuses to build out to people who would gladly pay for the service, i.e, future customers! I've seen FIOS in action, as I have 2 friends that live in a newer development in zip 93536 that both have FIOS! I don't know if FIOS is available to any other portions of the Lancaster/Quartz Hill area of the Antelope Valley, but to me it seems silly to deploy to such small footprints and then wonder why you're not getting customers! Build out to all your customers, not just 5 percent of them, and you may be surprised what happens! At my location near Challenger Way and Lancaster BLVD, DSL is sucky at best with max attainable line speed downstream of just 2.6 megabits. This means the best DSL offering I can get is 1500/384.
With time Warner Cable I can get 15Mbps/2Mbps, although at best I only see about 1.2mbps on the upload side of that connection. FIOS could provide 20Mbps/5Mbps or better, if they'd just offer it. Does anyone know what neighborhoods in the Lancaster/Quartz Hill area actually have FIOS. Looking at maps doesn't help me since I'm blind, but I'd really love to know if anyone else has FIOS besides the two friends I know in this valley.
Maybe when I move to Palmdale later this year I'll have a shot at maybe getting AT&T Uverse, though not holding my breath.
A frustrated potential FIOS customer.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

Happy

I thankfully live in a neighborhood that has FIOS available. Over the last year I have watched all my Neighbors take down their dishes one by one. Funny thing is, Comcast is available there too, but no one has them.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

ugh

So basically verizon is done with fios. In my town they got a franchise agreement and everything and only wired up half of the town.

This stinks . I wanted fios but now they are stopping i have no chance .;
horseshoe
Premium Member
Upland, CA

horseshoe

Premium Member

Re: ugh

Ditto: received city agreements, began building in selected portions of city over almost a year's period. Ended up wiring sporadic blocks and neighborhoods, and leaving others, even when the neighborhoods are separated by a street. As I said earlier, RIP FIOS UPLAND.

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

FastiBook

Gee what a shock.

After bypassing millions of potential customers who woulda signed up, the customer base who can get connected is slowly doing so, leaving little room for expansion in overall numbers.....

How bout build out more?

- A

••••••

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

Not looking too good for Verizon

Wow!! Only 46,000 new broadband customers?? Across their whole footprint with an exciting new offering being rolled out??

Are they even maintaining broadband maket share at that rate? That is a 2% annual increase in broadband customers - I would think that the number of broadband users across the country is rising at a faster rate than that.

It seems of their 153,000 FiOS customers, only about 1/3 came from competitors - the other 107,000 were DSL customers.

I did see that their average revenue per unit was up 12.6%, so that is good - probably from selling TV that they never did before, and getting more money for FiOS than DSL. The other good news is penetration is up from 24% to 28% - well, good for Verizon. Not so good for customers waiting for FiOS to be deployed to their area because it seems all those new subscribers are coming from deployed areas. If they were doing deployments to new areas (with an initial penetration of 0%), there is no way they could maintain their penetration rate with that low a number of new subscribers.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

VZ FIOS vs. Their Competition

Did anyone expect the competition (not just Comcast, but other cable companies and satellite) to just lay down?

1. Comcast in particular is spending more time/money/effort on customer retention (Comcast CR actually called US this month as we have a promotion about to expire to dangle new promotional offers under our noses), in addition to a trainload of new-customer promotions.

2. Both D* and E* are also peppering the airwaves with new-customer promotions.

While the focus has been on triple-play and quadruple-play, the old-fashioned double-play (TV and broadband) is what most folks (with either Comcast or VZ) like (while Comcast customers, at least here, are largely keeping VZ for phone and are already VZW customers for either home, work, or both)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Growth opportunity could be great

if fios was more available.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

35/35?

Seems to me that Verizon could bag a few customers (high-paying ones too) if they offered 35/35 service without requiring a phone line or TV. Just price it in line with the with-phone pricing, which would make the tier $85. I know I'd find some way of justifying the cost, and that's $15 per month more than I'm willing to pay Comcast for internet access.

Then again, FiOS isn't available where I live. So Verizon couldn't get a whopping $2040 over a two-year period from me even if they did have that plan :/
page: 1 · 2 · next