dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-01-29 14:03:52: Earlier this week we discussed how Verizon executives are completely reshaping their company, shifting the focus from DSL and copper phone service, to more profitable wireless and selective fiber deployments. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Wilkes-Barre

I live 10 minutes from Wilkes-Barre. Yeah, it's definitely not the nicest place in the world, but it shouldn't be that hard to wire. Anyone want to elaborate?

Verizon provides service to most of Wilkes-Barre. Otherwise, it's Frontier. And Frontier...well, they're just Frontier...failure all around.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Will LTE be pitched for fixed wireless to the home?

Some questions that need to be answered are:

Will Verizon pitch LTE as a product for fixed wireless to the home and not just a mobile wireless service? Will their be an LTE/WiFi router for home service?

And will there be external antennas offered to get the best bandwidth speeds possible inside the house?

If they are serious about competing against landline DSL or cable services by their competitors, this would make sense. Especially in areas where they don't offer Fios.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to ssavoy

News Guy

to ssavoy

Re: Wilkes-Barre

I grew up an hour north. I agree, it's not heaven, but it's not Antarctica.

Wasn't there a guy with big hopes of running fiber throughout sewer lines in Wilkes Barre?
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

I did hear that somewhere. Wilkes-Barre wanted to do their own WiFi network, but Pennsylvania doesn't allow municipalities to do it themselves anymore (surprise!), so Frontier does it now. Regardless, Comcast is really the only good provider of service around here.

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Will LTE be pitched for fixed wireless to the home?

I was thinking along the same lines. I can imagine some sort of GPS receiver on the modem (much like their femcells have now) that verifies the location of the modem operation. That or tie the mac address into the tower that the modem will be used at so that it can only send/receive data from one source.

I used to live in a semi-rural town that wasn't hard wired for HSI, so a local business operator put wi-fi antennas on top of a water tower, and then distributed outdoor antennas to all of their customers to be mounted and pointed to said tower. Worked well, except for ridiculously high latency in rain storms.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to FFH5

to FFH5
Sounds like this is their strategy actually. SOrt of similar to what Sprint is working on with WiMAX, except theoretically faster and with better coverage...

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

tiger72 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I'm not sure Verizon has enough spectrum capacity to really deploy this as a home broadband replacement for most of the country. Clearwire definitely benefits from it's large holdings (~120mhz nationwide) in the 2.5ghz range. 2.5ghz also allows for more capacity than 700mhz. And Verizon only has about 34mhz of 700mhz holdings in most major markets. Couple the smaller spectrum holding with the lower capacity of 700mhz, and I just don't see how VZW can offer a home broadband replacement via LTE like Clearwire can via WiMax... At least not without destroying that CDMA map they're so proud of.
mobbo
join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX

mobbo to FFH5

to FFH5
If they do, they MUST do better than Clear has done. Their signal cannot penetrate walls very well and flat-out does not work in houses with energy-efficient windows. Plus, the Motorola modem has no external antenna capabilities.

Sabre
Di relung hatiku bernyanyi bidadari
join:2005-05-17

Sabre to tiger72

to tiger72
For home broadband, I don't think they're offering a replacement so much as an option.

As previously pointed out, a lot of those rural customers (of which I may soon be one) don't have options. Cable HSI is spotty if they choose not to wire your street, satellite is a non-starter, and for those poor Fairpoint/etc. people, DSL lacks appeal if provided by a company that's buried under debt.

That's the market this would be aimed at. Fixed wireless via LTE probably wouldn't fly in cities, for precisely the reasons you raise. But out in Appalachia and the like (which isn't always as poor/hickish as stereotypes make it out to be) it would be a very appealing option, if decently reliable.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to mobbo

to mobbo
I have a zyxel worldwide wimax modem with external antenna panels for each area of the world.

It works indoors very well around here , not exactly a great broadband option compared to comcast but i works well behind all my energy efficient windows .
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to tiger72

to tiger72
Actually, 700MHz propagates MUCH farther than the 850/1900 EvDO that Verizon is using right now.

Also, if Verizon wants to do high-capacity (versus long-reach, which seems to be the focus with LTE-700) they can turn the pwoer on their transmitters down (way down) and deploy towers closer together.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to mobbo

Premium Member

to mobbo
said by mobbo:

If they do, they MUST do better than Clear has done. Their signal cannot penetrate walls very well and flat-out does not work in houses with energy-efficient windows. Plus, the Motorola modem has no external antenna capabilities.
700Mhz for LTE vs 2.x GHz (anyone know for sure?) for Clear. World of difference.
iansltx
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx to mobbo

to mobbo
External antenna is TBA, but 700MHz penetrates where 2500MHz doesn't. It's just plain RF stuff. If Clear deployed WiMAX on 700MHz they wouldn't have those problems.
InfinityDev
join:2005-06-30
USA

1 recommendation

InfinityDev

wooing them

"potential DSL converts won't be lured by LTE if caps are too low, and monthly rate and overage pricing is too high"

If it's a broadband duopoly then they won't really have a choice will then? Their DSL provider will likely have caps by then, too.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Sabre

to Sabre

True. 5-12/2-5 Mbps could probably be sold for $50 by Verizon, plus VoIP of some sort (maybe another $40 for unlimited local and long distance). Wouldn't be FiOS, but would beat DSL more often than not on speed and the price is about what people will pay for service in those areas.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

True. 5-12/2-5 Mbps could probably be sold for $50 by Verizon, plus VoIP of some sort (maybe another $40 for unlimited local and long distance). Wouldn't be FiOS, but would beat DSL more often than not on speed and the price is about what people will pay for service in those areas.
Hell, that would beat Road Runner in most areas too.
mobbo
join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX

1 edit

mobbo to iansltx

to iansltx
I've seen some pretty ambitious amateur rigs for outside solutions... including a guy putting the Motorola modem in a big plastic trash can on a pole above his house I wouldn't do that but I would consider it if my only other option was dialup.

Edit: BTW... its not just the horrible signal, their coverage maps are total BS. Despite the big green SOLID blob of coverage on their website for DFW, I have attempted to get Clear service on 5 (not kidding) different locations all over metro DFW for various construction jobsites and NONE had coverage. The coverage is full of holes. I'm batting 0 for 5 in attempts to get coverage in a supposed "covered" region.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Matt3

to Matt3
True, though it looks like TWC is slooowly rolling out 15/2 as their highest tier across all markets. Or 15/1 anyway.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

True, though it looks like TWC is slooowly rolling out 15/2 as their highest tier across all markets. Or 15/1 anyway.
They need to hurry the hell up here, we're still 7Mbps/384Kbps or 10Mbps/512Kbps.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

Meh at least they dont claim up to 80mbps at launch..

Rogers, Bell and Telus all launched HSPA+ networks in Canada last year and they all claim up to 21mbps.

Actual throughput is not even 7mbps.

Its all well and good to upgrade your up-to's, but if the consumer will never get to use it, was it really worth it?
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx to Matt3

to Matt3

Hopefully NorthState will start doing pair bonding and offer something better than 768k up, and CenLink will do 25/2 pair-bonded...

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

Hopefully NorthState will start doing pair bonding and offer something better than 768k up, and CenLink will do 25/2 pair-bonded...
I have 15/2 from NorthState over fiber (grandfatherd in tier and could have ordered 30/5), but it will take Time Warner to up their speeds before NS will offer anything higher. They don't need pair-bonding to offer more than 768Kbps up, they are doing that now because at twice the speed of their competition, they can.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Right, saw that. Sad to see a company actually DOWNGRADE their offerings due to lack of competition (and interest?)
kem09030
join:2004-11-29
Rushville, IL

kem09030 to mobbo

to mobbo
Remember that these are both going to be totally new networks so right off they aren't going to be great. It will take time for the networks to mature just like the cellular networks took time to mature. Give it a few years and things should get much better for the 4G networks.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Will Verizon pitch LTE as a product for fixed wireless to the home and not just a mobile wireless service? Will their be an LTE/WiFi router for home service?
I would think it would work the same as WiMAX and 3G work now. Those of us with few broadband options buy a 3G/4G router and connect the USB device to it.
horseshoe
Premium Member
join:2006-10-11
Upland, CA

horseshoe

Premium Member

It's coming, it's coming..........

For a long time the mantra was FIOS is coming, FIOS is coming, be ready in your neighborhood, the trucks are coming, the wire is being laid, hurry folks, Verizon here to the rescue, with FIOS.
Now it is the same melody: LTE is coming, LTE is coming, chorus here...
RIP FIOS, chorus out 3/4 time...

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Right, saw that. Sad to see a company actually DOWNGRADE their offerings due to lack of competition (and interest?)
The official line is they didn't want to offer disparate packages to fiber customers and to ADSL2+ customers who subscribed to IPTV. Their ADSL2+ circuits didn't support more than 768Kbps once you throw IPTV into the mix. I was also told by a technician they aren't delivering IPTV over copper at all, so who really knows?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Why would they need to charge separately for VOIP?
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Because they make money that way, and everyone else charges separately for VoIP?

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker

MVM

VZ and VZW?

I thought verizon wireless was a seperate entity from Verizon.
Fios is verizon's puppy and LTE is verizon wireless' puppy....whats the story here?
page: 1 · 2 · next