dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-02-10 11:01:09: The network neutrality debate really started up in the States in 2005, with then AT&T CEO Ed Whitacre, envious of Google ad revenue, oddly declaring that Google should pay a surcharge to AT&T, well, just because. ..

prev · 1 · 2

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

How these ISP's see Google

These ISP's must see Google like the "Ending" segment in the Anime feature Robot Carnival. With the automated Carnival rolling over them like a juggernaut.

What they don't seen to realize is the money they can make from it is they work with outfits like Google.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

2 recommendations

Noah Vail

Premium Member

No Problem Big Telco, but here's what you need to do.

Mr. Big Telco sir;
Your point is perfectly reasonable. Google is profiting off of what you created and brought to market.

We'll fee 'the Google' and pass that on to you. There's just one little thing you need to do first.

You'll need to pay retroactive royalities to the following folks, whose creations allowed you to build your empire.

MIT
DEC ((Now Compaq) now HP)
Paul Baran, Donald Davies and Leonard Kleinrock
Advanced Research Projects Agency (Now DARPA)
National Physical Laboratory
UCLA
Tymnet (Now McDonnell Douglas British Telecom MCI Worldcom Concert NewCo AT&T SBC Verizon)
Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc
Stanford Research Institute
University of California Santa Barbara
University of Utah
University of Hawaii
Ray Tomlinson & Larry Roberts
Vint Cerf & Bob Khan
Louis Pouzin
Bob Metcalfe
Xerox
Steve Walker, Einar Stefferud & John Vittal
Bell Labs
Larry Landweber
San Fransisco Bay Packet Radio Net
National Science Foundation
Duke & UNC
Richard Bartle & Roy Trubshaw
Packet Radio Network (PRNET)
City University of New York
Computer and Science Network
Minitel (France Télécom and BT)
Norway
European UNIX Network
Univ of Wisconsin
Internet Activities Board
European Academic and Research Network
Tom Jennings
William Gibson
Vadim Antonov
Ira Fuchs & Greydon Freeman
Society for Public Access Computing (Later National Public Telecomputing Network)
Brian Kantor, Phil Lapsley, Stan Barber & Erik Fair
Craig Partridge
Gordon Bell & Al Gore
Tappan Morris & his worm
Jon Postel, Danny Cohen, Richard Kaplan, Paul Messina, Ron Broesma, Chuck Seitz, Don Gallop, Jon Hertzog, George Bekey, Steve Crocker & Leonard Kleinrock
Susan Estrada
Jarkko Oikarinen
Cornell, Princeton and the Univ of Washington
Corporation for Research and Education Networking
Clifford Stoll
Mitch Kapor
Peter Deutsch, Alan Emtage & Bill Heelan
Peter Scott
John Romkey and his Internet Toaster
General Atomics, Performance Systems International Inc & UUNET Technologies Inc
Brewster Kahle
Philip Zimmerman
Network Coordination Center
Univ of Nevada
Jean Armour Polly
Rick Gates

for starters...

All of these contributed something to the creation of the technology, interest or services that allowed you - Mr. Big Telco sir - to have a product to sell and an interest in that product.

We've heard from you - Mr Time Warner sir - about your keen interest in copyright; that is - making sure that IP creators and owners are granted every possible dollar for their work;
even if it means composing new laws to bring that about.
We're certain that your Telco Brethren feel the same way.

So once you begin paying appropriate royalties to all the above (continuing 70 years after their demise), we'll see how to impose a new fee on Google as a means to promote fairness.

Sincerely,
The Conglomerated Body of Thinking Individuals

fin.

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

Re: No Problem Big Telco, but here's what you need to do.

Wow you didn't miss much, so many people I know got ripped off in this whole thing.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto

Premium Member

Ummm

Why is BBR using Jill Greenberg's image to illustrate a news article is my question. She is very vigilant in protecting her images with ©

elgooG
@comcast.net

elgooG

Anon

Hey, great!

Say, this doesn't by any chance have something to do with targeted ads, does it?

monk
@rr.com

monk

Anon

start

google should start there own isp network world G

Transmaster
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

Re: start

I think they are slowly getting into this. I wonder what the ISP will think if and when Google set up their own system and flatten all of the others.
k1ll3rdr4g0n
join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n

Do they even listen to what they are saying?

How stupid are these people?
Do they really think people will buy into their misinformation?
Next thing you will know they will come out with a press release:
"Breaking: Spanish ISP blames Google for world poverty, more at 11!"

If I was on the Google board of directors, I would block ALL access from that ISP for 24 hours with a message to its users:
"Your ISP believes we are getting a "free ride" from them. In an effort to show that we are we are fair and do not want to ride their pipes without cost to us, we are blocking your access to Google for 24 hours.
If you believe that we are not riding their "pipes" for free, please call your ISP at [number] and complain."

I think after the 1000th caller, they will retract their statement. Especially considering that the number of callers will tie up the CSR so much that the people with actual problems can't get through.
raye
Premium Member
join:2000-08-14
Orange, CA

raye

Premium Member

Ed's pipes now at Government Motors (GM)

Wonder if they will be in the new Corvette...
lowbandwidth
join:2010-02-11

lowbandwidth

Low-bandwidth content undervalued!

Is it time to allow Internet users the option for “low bandwidth” displays?

The increases of both Internet users, and bandwidth requirements are noticeably slowing-down Internet access. Yet, many users are interested in finding resources focusing on informational content. Hence, the “low-bandwidth” option can suffice.

Are we at a point were an ample number Internet content developers would consider allowing their Internet sites to offer “low bandwidth” options? Is it possible that enough users would opt for “low-bandwidth” options that Internet-traffic flow would improve?

Are there applications (which users can decide to download) that can automatically convert content to display through a low-bandwidth option?
ricep5
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Jacksonville, FL

ricep5

Premium Member

Google's Fears

The argument can go several ways here....

Telecom USA could NAT their world and Google would essentially have no data to harvest on user behavior or their search bots. Technically all users have equal access and it would not violate any net neutrality argument.

Essentially "starving" Google of the very thing they need.

In defense, Google becomes an ISP to protect their revenue sources.

In the bad ole days when AOL was king, they made dollars on targeted material based on user behavior and profiles. Their internet gateway in Vienna used to NAT all the dial up clients into the internet in general. However, this was a problem for AOL as they couldn't track internet behavior (at that time) and for the hosts as well as all they saw was a domain/IP at a AOL datacenter.

I used to get Google results, even certain websites that would show I had already clicked certain links even though I had never been there. Problem was someone at AOL already had.

This is why Google sees Telecom USA as a hostile vendor. AOL saw the same thing when they merged with TimeWarner and moved to exclusive content and consented to not enter telecom services. (Though they really wanted to)
prev · 1 · 2