spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-01 16:31:46: Cablevision was busy last week, announcing not only a new trial of an Internet to TV service that should allow users to watch Hulu in their living room, but also announcing plans to begin deploying their network DVR service starting in April. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

T-Mobile?

Seems like TMo and CV would be a god fit on this. T-Mobile just has to resurrect their UMA handsets and all systems would be good to go for the service.

I wouldn't be srprised if CV offered "Optimum Mobile" service with unlimited voice minutes on WiFi and 500 minutes (plus unlimited nights and weekends, naturally) for $30-$40 per month.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by iansltx:

Seems like TMo and CV would be a god fit on this. T-Mobile just has to resurrect their UMA handsets and all systems would be good to go for the service.

I wouldn't be srprised if CV offered "Optimum Mobile" service with unlimited voice minutes on WiFi and 500 minutes (plus unlimited nights and weekends, naturally) for $30-$40 per month.
I was thinking AT&T.. but whatever.. it's still cdma either one-- I'd like to be able to get onto a network such as tracfone so you dont' have to get robbed for cell service pricing and be locked into a contract. Tracfone & wifi would be a killer handset!

Also, did I read that right... $100 per subscriber.. and they surcharge you $300 for early adopting docsis 3.0?

Hah! Evidence of a ripoff, much?

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

Solution in search of a problem

My cell phones work perfectly in a far greater area than CV's spotty WiFi coverage area. Why would I want to bother with WiFi? I can go across the continent with my cell phones.

sharksfan3
Premium
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA
reply to tmc8080

Re: T-Mobile?

said by tmc8080:

I was thinking AT&T.. but whatever.. it's still cdma either one--
VZW and Sprint are CDMA
AT&T and TMobile are GSM/WCDMA (not the same as CDMA)

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Bobcat79

Re: Solution in search of a problem

it's not about replacing the phone. You didn't read what Karl had to say. The phone would work on the WiFi ONLY when near the access point. When it would lose its signal the phone would change back to the cellular network. This would allow CV to offer unlimited voice over their network to THEIR customers.
--
www.two-pugs.com www.twopugsbrand.com

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Bobcat79
I can help you with your narrow minded thinking if you'd like..

... Maybe this service is more designed for those who live in their area/footprint and want to have more mobility between their home and they're daily use. Further, when you're not on their "spotty WiFi coverage" you have the good old fashion cellular network... (Notice the emphasis on being able to hand off between wifi and cellular networks??)

So in short, maybe this service wouldn't be the best for YOU.

People make the same arguments about providers like MetroPCS who's business model is largely on, oh wait, THE METRO in which they serve?? Meaning yea, people complain that they only cover you in the cities it serves and roaming is expensive.. but the point of providers like MetroPCS who started with Flat Rate service for $40 a month wasn't for you to have a cell phone that you could use all over the country.. it was designed to give you service in your home city which they served... in other words, the service wasn't for everyone.

But besides that, in this case, I don't think you're readying because the service allows you to use a cellular network when you're not on a WiFi.. and while you are on a WiFi, you don't HAVE to use the cellular network... pretty cool, huh?

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to hottboiinnc
But WHY? If my cell phone works just about everywhere in the US and Canada without roaming, why would I even want to use WiFi hotspots that are so few and far between?

I made a 45 minute call on the way home today, and I guarantee not a single CV WiFi hotspot was on my route.

Bobcat79
Premium

1 edit
reply to fiberguy
Verizon Wireless has saturated the entire state of New Jersey.
The closest CV WiFi is over 2 miles away.
So how does that give me "more mobility"?

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to tmc8080

AT&T is a telco in the US. T-Mobile is not. Sprint is not. I'd expect CV to go with one of those two.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

it's not about replacing the phone. You didn't read what Karl had to say. The phone would work on the WiFi ONLY when near the access point. When it would lose its signal the phone would change back to the cellular network. This would allow CV to offer unlimited voice over their network to THEIR customers.
My Palm Pre already does this. Switching automatically to a WiFi connection when within range of one. So if I was a Cablevision user, I should be able to do this without any special phone to do switching.

Of course, I am talking DATA ONLY switching. The news item doesn't make it clear if they are also talking about a continuous voice call switching back and forth between WiFi and Cell.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to Bobcat79
WHY? Because most likely CV has a plan for this. Maybe their own cell phone company? or plans? While near an Access Point you can get free unlimited calls on the network. You're not going to get that from TM, ATT, or Sprint. This would also not be roaming. It would just switch between networks.

And as the other person said. MAYBE IT'S NOT FOR YOU!
--

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to FFH5
yes but probably using "their" phone or what ever they have in place. They're most likely not going to do it for everyone.

They'll more than likely do data, but from the way the story is worded maybe voice as well.
--

frogli6

join:2003-10-12
Yaphank, NY

Carrier

I have heard they will be using AT&T and T-mobile.

Bobcat79
Premium

1 edit
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

WHY? Because most likely CV has a plan for this. Maybe their own cell phone company?
I wonder if it will be as successful as their satellite TV company. How many millions did they blow on that?

said by hottboiinnc:

While near an Access Point you can get free unlimited calls on the network.
They don't even have any access points in my entire town. But Verizon Wireless' Network Operations Center is across the street. I'm in range of 3 cell sites.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

what's new?

I have wi-fi skype phones and my winmo phone can do skype over wifi/3g.

frogli6

join:2003-10-12
Yaphank, NY
reply to Bobcat79

I heard they will be using AT&T and T-mobile and if so that will be a kick ass network.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Tmobile offers the newest Blackberry (Bold 9700) with UMA.
--

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
-Abraham Lincoln-

iansltx

Austin, TX
Ah that's right, businesses keep UMA, regular plans don't anymore.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Bobcat79

Knock knock puddin' head... where does this article say "more mobility".... ? I just re-read Karl's story.. all it talks about is the ability to seamlessly switch between their WiFi and their Cellular network... I don't believe this is about "mobility"...

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to iansltx

Sprint may not be a Telco anymore but they have a HUGE IP Backbone and know how to build a network from the ground up. They also are one of the most used carriers by the MVNOs.
--

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to Bobcat79

that NOC is only prolly for your area. Most of their operations is based in Ohio. Especially Customer Service, Billing and Tech Support, for both Wireless and Wireline (which shall be interesting to see VZ move their support center from Ohio to another state- if they do).
--

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to hottboiinnc

I'm not doubting that. However they don't have any UMA capabilities right now, though eventually with WiMAX that'll probably happen.

The "not a telco" thing here is a pro rather than a con; Cablevision likely doesn't want to work with a telco...they're competing against one.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

But WHY? If my cell phone works just about everywhere in the US and Canada without roaming, why would I even want to use WiFi hotspots that are so few and far between?

I made a 45 minute call on the way home today, and I guarantee not a single CV WiFi hotspot was on my route.
Neither verizon nor att has 100 percent coverage in all of the tri state area. There are areas on long island where you get no verizon signal at all. So it would be good for those areas. OR places like basements wher ei get an optimum wifi signal but not a carriers cell signal.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Ah that's right, businesses keep UMA, regular plans don't anymore.
I think you are confusing two services offered by Tmo. They offer UMA on many phones, for all plan types (business and regular). The service they discontinued (for new users) was Tmobile @ Home, which was different.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Correction: they have discontinued Hotspot@Home service, as well as T-Mobile@Home, and the Hotspot@Home service was really the only reason to get s UMA phone, unless you had crappy TMo service and good WiFi in any given location.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

Knock knock puddin' head... where does this article say "more mobility".... ?
You did! YOU said it!

said by fiberguy:

Maybe this service is more designed for those who live in their area/footprint and want to have more mobility between their home and they're daily use.
OK, "puddin' head"? (You said that, too, in case you forgot again.)

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

that NOC is only prolly for your area.
No, it's their primary NOC for their entire network. It's on Washington Valley Road in Bedminster, NJ. The backup site is in Texas. Their corporate headquarters used to be in the same building, but they moved a few miles up the road.

»aboutus.vzw.com/bestnetwork/netw···cts.html

Bobcat79
Premium

1 edit
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

Neither verizon nor att has 100 percent coverage in all of the tri state area.
I can guarantee that there's no place in NJ that has a CV Wifi signal but doesn't have a VZW signal.

VZW has as close to 100% coverage as you can get. I think there are a few square feet in Stokes State Forest and in the Pine Barrens that don't have coverage. But CV doesn't go anywhere near those areas.

Hell, CV doesn't have a single WiFi site in my town at all.

Again, Verizon covers the whole area, making the CV WiFi useless if you have a cellular/WiFi device. CV WiFi adds nothing.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to Bobcat79
And their main customer support centers (VZ and VZW) are based in Ohio. The page says only where they monitor the cell sites at. Their massive Centers could be located else where and they would. Any company that size will NEVER tell you where they're NOCs are at. And only having 2 of them? I don't think so. Esepcially for a network of that size.
--

Frank
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere
reply to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

said by iansltx:

I was thinking AT&T.. but whatever.. it's still cdma either one-- I'd like to be able to get onto a network such as tracfone so you dont' have to get robbed for cell service pricing and be locked into a contract. Tracfone & wifi would be a killer handset!

Also, did I read that right... $100 per subscriber.. and they surcharge you $300 for early adopting docsis 3.0?

Hah! Evidence of a ripoff, much?
tracfone doesnt have it's own network.
--
At first I thought everyone on the highway was drunk but then I realized I was driving in Florida