dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-03 12:34:03: AT&T is once again dropping hints that the carrier wants to change (read: increase) wireless data pricing. ..

prev · 1 · 2

lrtc6
join:2004-06-05
Toronto

lrtc6

hmmm

what!?

LoneGreyWolf
Premium Member
join:2002-09-09
Winter Haven, FL

LoneGreyWolf

Premium Member

Verizon will now charge a data fee for every phone?

Does this include a phone that you may already have at the end of your two year contract?

We have the data option blocked on our phones. We have no use for a data plan.

I can not leave Verizon because it's what my ex-girlfriend uses and it's how I talk to my kids. She doesn't have a land line, only cell phone. She has Verizon paid for by her current boyfriend. I don't want to cause her to have extra charges because I switch cell carriers.

What am I supposed to do now? I don't want or need a data plan and I'm not going to pay for something I do not use!

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

How about lowering SMS fees?

Currently SMS fees are marked up 6500%, compared to movie theater popcorn which is marked up 900%.

This is why people are switching from SMS to other forms of messaging even if SMS is better and/or more convenient. Given a choice between good text messaging that's 650,000 times more expensive than it should be or not as good text messaging for free, people will pick free.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Why get iPad 3g? or.. why get...

... Why bother getting a data plan with every device you own, specifically? Why not just get a data card mobile router like the MiFi and pay once.. use as many devices you have on it?

It seems silly that they think every device should or needs it's own data plan.. and second, they need to come up with a shared data plan that lets you connect these kinds of devices on one shared use plan.. if I have an iTouch and iPad, for example, and they're both mine.. do I not pay for their so called 5GB limit? Why can't I use it how ever I want?

It's time for data plans to evolve like everything else has...

As for the $30 iPhone data plan.. I say BRING IT ON.... I use about 100 meg a month on the iPhone.. a FAR cry from the 5gb or "unlimited" amount you get for $30 a month.. I'd rather pay per byte or what ever.. I'd save a fortune.. unless, that is, they start up with their $20 gets you 50meg crap.

But... see above.. I have a Sprint MiFi.. I'd just use that for everything anyway since I carry it with me all the time.
disc
join:2005-12-31
Raleigh, NC

disc

rent seeking

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re ··· _seeking
kevcallaway
join:2005-11-05

1 edit

kevcallaway

screwed by big telco.

removed.....

starcaptor
join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

starcaptor

Ridiculous

Prices will increase as much as markets will bear it; truer words cant be said about this situation.

I find it hilarious that VZW and ATT charge pretty much EXACTLY the same for everything...how come it doesnt somehow look like collusion?

You have to take my SERO/500 from my cold dead fingers. $24.30 a month, with $1.10 in taxes. 7pm nights, data and text, you know the drill. Seriously, why pay more?

I have a friend who has had ATT since 2006, and he refused to change to Sprint, because he was convinced due to their company balance sheets that they would disappear within a year or maybe less. 3 months ago he finally broke and switched to them. Paying 50% less, for more features and better coverage.
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

2 edits

Jet101

Premium Member

Alternatives

I think CLEAR Wimax is starting to look better all the time. If you live in one of the covered cities, get a mobile modem, a Cradlepoint wireless router, and run VoIP over Wi-Fi with your iPod Touch, or eventually, an iPad. Thank goodness I'm in Austin and can definitely see how this works out.

For $40.00/mth you get all the GigaBytes you can handle and when you want to use it on your laptop, just pull the modem from the router and stick in you puter. Goodbye AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc., etc.. Hmmmm...
Jet101

1 edit

Jet101

Premium Member

Thought I hit preview on that first one. OOps
Kiljoy616
join:2010-02-21
Miami, FL

Kiljoy616

Though I am not on the ATT camp about higher prices, I must admit I don't see what is all the hoopla about what they are doing. Like any company its taking advantage of people inability to drop their phones. If you don't like the prices like some have said move to a new provider or don't use one. I for one have no problem paying for the privilege of using the Iphone. Yes its a privilege that you must pay, not a right.

Wait till you have to pay for health care or a mechanic to fix your xj8 jaguar and you will know pain. Health care is no different, you want to stay alive and be healthy then you have to pay for it, and yes I do charge as do most good medically trained professionals. So stop whining about how your been gouge and start gouging your self if you have something that other can't live without, of course if you work at Best Buy and make 10 dollar an hour I can see where stuff like this would really hurt.

Bus User
@cox.net

Bus User

Anon

I don't look forward to paying more, but in the short term at least this is a limited resource, and I use it to make a living. If this drives off those monopolizing the resource for fun and games, I for one won't mind a bit. Post Iphone, service has from great to crap.
prev · 1 · 2