dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-12 10:16:49: Just a few days before the FCC is poised to introduce our first ever national broadband plan, the agency has launched a new java-based speed test application at the Broadband.gov website. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul

Boost

Wonder if their test will properly gauge the true speed of Comcast boost services?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

A step forward

Now to wait and see what happens with this info.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

AMDUSER

Premium Member

The test is inaccurate...

I tested my cable internet on it, and it said I had about 30 Meg (even though I only have 7 Meg Road Runner, but with Powerboost(tm).

If they want accurate, they are going to have to do something to mitigate the Powerboost to get the rated service speed.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Pointless

So now ISPs will simply optimize connections to that site so they can show higher speeds.

Meanwhile, things like unfees continue unabated.

Bill Dollar
join:2009-02-20
New York, NY

Bill Dollar

FCC's Obsession w Web2.0 continues

Wow. /s/ It is so awesome that the FCC has now decided instead of going out and collecting useful information in a scientific manner, and instead of forcing carriers to hand over good data, that they've now decided to crowdsource data collection. Man, if only the Census Bureau would follow their lead, we could ditch the whole program and put up a website instead. /s/

Another tools is great I guess, for those who for some reason are unable to locate any one of the hundreds of other similar tools. But this "data" won't provide much useful information, because it is flawed in numerous ways (i.e. powerboost, wifi interference, multiple users on a single line), and the sample is user self-selected. If the FCC actually tries to make policy based on this lazy data collection method, then they'll end up getting sued under the Data Quality Act.

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

Shamayim

Premium Member

Dot gov?

I smell IP harvest.
KD4CVR
join:2000-09-21
Gainesville, GA

KD4CVR

Who is taking notes?

Ok call me paranoid , in the tool the first question is "Where are you accessing the internet? followed by "Current address where you are accessing the internet"??? Who is housing that information?
jus10
join:2009-08-04
Gainesville, VA

1 recommendation

jus10 to Shamayim

to Shamayim

Re: Dot gov?

Even if they were, to what end? They're just IPs of ISPs in the US. I'm sure if they wanted, they could get that list other ways.
mAlfunkti0n
join:2003-12-16
Loveland, OH

mAlfunkti0n to KD4CVR

to KD4CVR

Re: Who is taking notes?

You are actually worried about this? Do you honestly think it would be difficult for them to gather the information on their own if they REALLY wanted to? They know who I am and where I live, and I am sure quite a bit more than that.

Your tin foil hat is getting larger ...

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

3 edits

Z80A to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Pointless

And inaccurate. This only shows how fast the the connection between their servers and that user, not actually what speeds the ISP is actually supplying them. I have a full T1 which gives me 1386kbps after overhead like clockwork and this test reported 800/900 with 200ms latency (actual local latency is in the teens). So are they going to use that data to claim what the speeds are here? This is like that lame telecom union site that was equally inaccurate by design so that they could claim the need for billions in gov't spending on infrastructure.

This test also doesn't indicate what is AVAILABLE to subscribers, only a weak indicator of what they are CHOOSING to buy. What is available is just as or more important than what people are choosing to buy.

A complete waste of taxpayer dollars. They could get far more complete data by browsing speetest.net's results.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

Its a bit slow..

Tested here at my place of work and its a bit slow. They need to beef up their servers a bit more. Dual fiber lines with a total speed of 750Mbps.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to KD4CVR

News Guy

to KD4CVR

The government already knows where you live and what kind of cereal you eat. They don't need to harvest that info via the FCC website.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 recommendation

Z80A to powerspec88

Premium Member

to powerspec88

Re: Its a bit slow..

Inaccurate test by design. Your work obviously needs $10M in porkulus to get those upload speeds up. Time to borrow against the credit of Joe Taxpayer.
MRCUR
join:2007-03-09
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR to KD4CVR

to KD4CVR

They already have that info... So yes, you're just a paranoid person.
mAlfunkti0n
join:2003-12-16
Loveland, OH

mAlfunkti0n to powerspec88

to powerspec88

I love the JITTER test .. reminds me of old people doing the jitterbug.

OldschoolDSL
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

OldschoolDSL to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Pointless

said by pnh102:

So now ISPs will simply optimize connections to that site so they can show higher speeds.

Meanwhile, things like unfees continue unabated.
I believe it. I ran 4 test on that site and EVERY TIME my speed was as advertised (exactly as advertised).

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac to Uncle Paul

Premium Member

to Uncle Paul

Re: Boost

inaccurate. It states I have a 25/3 when I have 25/15. Also my fios tested on another site is 25/25 which is accurate.
Lee
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to powerspec88

Premium Member

to powerspec88

750Mbps
what's your upload speed supposed to be, 750 as well?

Mine was somewhat close @ work (12Mbps fiber), though there is some traffic going in/out right now.

Agree that harvesting speedtest.net results would be a good idea.
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo to HarleyYac

to HarleyYac

Mine said my connection was a 22/1 but I only have a 8/1
RX300
join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX

RX300

FCC Still Defines Broadband As - Faster Than Dialup

I've got DSL and I don't have broadband. It is a 300k connection. Several years ago that was not bad. Now it sux. Forget about streaming anything. Even utube videos have to be paused. It takes over a minute to load the HBO page.
Like the title says, they still think broadband is anything faster than dialup and that's wrong.
I have done many speed tests and never gotten over 300. Tested at the FCC site just now. Guess my connection got 10% faster because they are telling me it is 330k now. WooHoo
This is as good as it gets because my IP says there are no plans to increase the bandwidth. Little Texas town with an independent telco that serves a population of less than 3000. There is no hope for anything faster.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

HarleyYac to NeoandGeo

Premium Member

to NeoandGeo

wow.. I see nothing but "Pain" with this

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Android App

I downloaded the mobile app for Android on my Moto Droid. The speeds are not accurate. Every time I run a test with the FCC app I then immediately run a test to the same server using the Speedtest.net app and it is slower. I've tried different servers and have ran the Speedtest.net app first and FCC second and FCC speeds are always higher.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian

Premium Member

Doesn't finish

It stalls at 50% for me, must be overloaded. Last night when it worked it said I had 7mbit up, when I have 25 up. It also gave me the choice of m-labs at the end, but when I clicked begin on that test is redirected me back to the main test.

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR

Ericthorn to AMDUSER

Premium Member

to AMDUSER

Re: The test is inaccurate...

Agreed - it's giving me about 2.7m down and any other test anywhere I go gives me less than 2m, usually in the 1.8m range which is accurate.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the carriers have some hand in this...

noworit
@verizon.net

noworit

Anon

another test they can manipulate

i just went to the site and tried the test and it would not work for me wonder, if verizon had anything to do with that,i tried 3 times.

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

Shamayim to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

They might know what I had for breakfast but not where I live! Cereally though, they don't know all that much -- yet. That's what Census 2010 is for

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons

MVM

Unable to execute test....

The site must be overloaded. Took minutes to navigate to the Java test screen and was never presented any option to execute the test. Clearly still "Beta"

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Yes, 750Mbps up and down. We just got another ISP so you can add 200Mbps to that once we get BGP peering between our other two routers. I work at a data center btw. I just can't believe how slow it is, but then again, who knows how many users are trying to run the test right now.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

Boost

Comcast and Time warner Boost are going to screw up the results quite a bit. Lets see if they find a way to overcome this.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Site is down

All it took was a couple of FIOS users to try the test to bring it down, First try I got to the part it was loading the java app and stalled/hung, now the entire site is down ... Our Tax dollars at work!
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next