spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-12 10:16:49: Just a few days before the FCC is poised to introduce our first ever national broadband plan, the agency has launched a new java-based speed test application at the Broadband.gov website. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to iansltx

Re: They should partner with someone on this for servers

said by iansltx:

It's not like there aren't tools out there to accurately measure after-boost speeds:
That isn't the point. This is:
»FCC using to build own broadband maps

NetAdmin1
CCNA

join:2008-05-22
reply to powerspec88

Re: Its a bit slow..

Where I work, we connect to our 10Gbps backbone, but the internet is a lot slower than that because of the Cisco firewall filtering traffic. I'd wager you probably have the same situation - a firewall somewhere with a slower connection than the fiber coming into the building.
--
Kilroy was here

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to FFH

I'm aware of this, however if you have a speed test it might as well be accurate.

Dagda1175

join:2001-06-17
Goleta, CA

Inaccurate?

Or maybe cox's connections fluctuate more than I know.
I am 'supposed' to get 10 Mbps down, 768 Kbps up. And with powerboost it should be 12.5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up.

The .gov test gave me 25816 kbps down and 2341 kbps up.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to AMDUSER

Re: The test is inaccurate...

said by AMDUSER:

I tested my cable internet on it, and it said I had about 30 Meg (even though I only have 7 Meg Road Runner, but with Powerboost(tm).

If they want accurate, they are going to have to do something to mitigate the Powerboost to get the rated service speed.
If it measured 30 meg, you want it to dismiss it?

The goal here is to see whether you're getting what you paid for.

If it says 3 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you're not.
If it says 7 Mbps or 30 Mbps and you're paying for 7 Mbps, then you are.

Powerboost is real speed. So some credit should be given to that fact. But it is really temporarily and not assured, and I agree that something should also measure that. But what we don't want measurement tools to do is to discard actual performance.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

I'm aware of this, however if you have a speed test it might as well be accurate.
They are as accurate as the underlying vendors(OOKLA& MLAB) tests that are providing the service to the FCC. More accurate tests(that handle dealing with powerboost) take too long and consume too many resources for the numbers of people who use those sites.

If you want a test that handles distortions caused by powerboost, use this one:
»www.measurementlab.net/measureme···iffprobe

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to KD4CVR

Re: Who is taking notes?

said by KD4CVR:

Ok call me paranoid , in the tool the first question is "Where are you accessing the internet? followed by "Current address where you are accessing the internet"??? Who is housing that information?
The FCC. It is not stored by or disclosed to Ookla or Measurement lab.
--

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

Hey at least

I may get knocked for this but at least they are trying,the last administration wouldn't even tried a deal like this for consumers,yes it may be inaccurate and this that but it is a tool nonetheless that hopefully they will build a database for all isp's,but i agree that broadband min speed should be a hell of lot higher the kb range is pathetic.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Z80A

Re: Pointless

said by Z80A:

A complete waste of taxpayer dollars.
Actually, this is probably incredibly cheap for the FCC to do. This uses NDT (free and open-source software) and Measurement-Lab (a free platform). It also uses Ookla (but I don't know if the arrangement is the same). That's not to mention that it's web based (free protocols and usually free software) and crowd-sourced.

said by Z80A:

They could get far more complete data by browsing speetest.net's results.
They could, but now they're also contributing to that dataset. That's even better.
--

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to funchords

said by funchords:

Powerboost is real speed. So some credit should be given to that fact. But it is really temporarily and not assured, and I agree that something should also measure that. But what we don't want measurement tools to do is to discard actual performance.
If you want a test that handles distortions caused by powerboost, use this one:
»www.measurementlab.net/measureme···iffprobe

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to funchords

said by funchords:

said by KD4CVR:

Ok call me paranoid , in the tool the first question is "Where are you accessing the internet? followed by "Current address where you are accessing the internet"??? Who is housing that information?
The FCC. It is not stored by or disclosed to Ookla or Measurement lab.
Here is the FCC privacy statement on the test:
»www.broadband.gov/broadband-qual···ent.html

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to xirian

Re: Doesn't finish

said by xirian:

It stalls at 50% for me, must be overloaded. Last night when it worked it said I had 7mbit up, when I have 25 up. It also gave me the choice of m-labs at the end, but when I clicked begin on that test is redirected me back to the main test.
You are either using Safari, Chrome, or don't have Java installed?
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

M-Lab
Download: 8502 kbps
Upload: 3520 kbps
Latency: 56 ms
Jitter: 39 ms (looks like there's a problem with the speedtest server)
If the M-Lab test is not sane, try this:
»ndt.iupui.donar.measurement-lab.org:7123/

It will give you more information than Ookla attempts to detect. It also discloses what server you're talking to. (Note: this bypasses the FCC, but the test run is stored by MeasurementLab and becomes freely available to researchers).
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

pffft we have 2Gbps symmetrical just in one cage.
Anyone who has a gig to donate to Measurement Lab can contact me. (3 more and I get the toaster oven!)
--

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

reply to AMDUSER

I ran the test twice; the first time jitter and latency were the same, which is impossible. Transfer speed measurement seemed reasonable accurate.

Overall I think having FCC do its own research is laudable but there are several serious caveats:

1) This is by no means a scientifically credible poll of US broadband.

2) We, like many others, have home network. To be an accurate determination of ISP performance no other computer should be using the Internet for the duration of the test. I did not see any mention of that on the test page.

3) Likewise applications on the test PC should not access the Internet for the duration of the test.

4) Performance testing is end-to-end. Issues outside the control of the ISP can degrade performance.

5) As already mentioned, temporary speed increases, will artificially inflate test performance.

/Tom

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

I ran the test twice; the first time jitter and latency were the same, which is impossible. Transfer speed measurement seemed reasonable accurate.

Overall I think having FCC do its own research is laudable but there are several serious caveats:

1) This is by no means a scientifically credible poll of US broadband.

2) We, like many others, have home network. To be an accurate determination of ISP performance no other computer should be using the Internet for the duration of the test. I did not see any mention of that on the test page.

3) Likewise applications on the test PC should not access the Internet for the duration of the test.

4) Performance testing is end-to-end. Issues outside the control of the ISP can degrade performance.

5) As already mentioned, temporary speed increases, will artificially inflate test performance.

/Tom
All true. There are several more issues. That said, these are data points in a set of gathered data. Once analyzed, some test results will be statistical outliers. In the end, analysts should be able to refine and clarify the picture by filtering out much of the noise.
--

MTU
Premium
join:2005-02-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

Accurate

Worked just fine for me.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to jbrewno

Re: HEY FCC

said by jbrewno:

Why not get some cable or DSL out my way?
Not to sound like an apologist for the FCC, but wouldn't one of the first steps be mapping what and where it is available?

/tom

Hpower
Roflmao

join:2000-06-08
Glendale, CA
reply to powerspec88

said by powerspec88:

Yes, 750Mbps up and down. We just got another ISP so you can add 200Mbps to that once we get BGP peering between our other two routers. I work at a data center btw. I just can't believe how slow it is, but then again, who knows how many users are trying to run the test right now.
Crazy. What is 750mbps used for really? Cisco live office video conferences? :P
--
The Internet is about to go down....it is actually.

KD4CVR

join:2000-09-21
Gainesville, GA
reply to KD4CVR

Hey I'm just say'n on the heels of this article this morning..."CDC uses shopper-card data to trace salmonella" »news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_···_sleuths

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to FFH

Re: FCC using to build own broadband maps

said by FFH:

Exact accuracy of speeds is NOT the point.
That is true but an accurate test will encourage more folks to participate. Having an inaccurate test report just fans the flames of FCC incompetent and bias.

/tom

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
reply to tschmidt

The M-Labs version is trash. The Ookla version tested three different lines in three different locations accurately and more consistently than the tests from this site do.

The speedtest.net site seems to do the best of all, though, since it looks for the best server for your location.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Er...say WHAT???

'Ya gotta love the govt.! Here is the gist of it, right?

"Transparency empowers consumers, promotes innovation and investment, and encourages competition," FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said in a statement. "The FCC's new digital tools will arm users with real-time information about their broadband connection and the agency with useful data about service across the country. By informing consumers about their broadband service quality, these tools help eliminate confusion and make the market work more effectively."

In a word, baloney. First, the speed test is accurate for some, not so much for others, and way off for others still...not egg-zactly the best path to enlightening consumers, eh?

There are already plenty of available places to test your connection speed, most of which are at least as reliable as this...

There is nothing here that will make the market work more effectively, that is just plain hokum.

I am not really too paranoid however, I just think that this is another "Gee whiz, look how your govt. is looking out for you!" while justifying a few more taxpayer based jobs...

I know, I am just being negative because they would not hire me for the tidal wave lookout position in Kansas that I proposed a few years back...
--
Deeds, not words

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to noworit

Re: another test they can manipulate

said by noworit :

if verizon had anything to do with that,i tried 3 times.
Seems unlikely, since the way a telco would want to fudge the test would be to give test traffic a higher-than-usual priority, thus making themselves look better.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to funchords

said by funchords:

The goal here is to see whether you're getting what you paid for.

I have to disagree. The goal for the Gov't speed test is to sample what speeds are available where.

If powerboost causes a test to show 30Mbps then it is a false result.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

2 edits
reply to Hpower

said by Hpower:

said by powerspec88:

Yes, 750Mbps up and down. We just got another ISP so you can add 200Mbps to that once we get BGP peering between our other two routers. I work at a data center btw. I just can't believe how slow it is, but then again, who knows how many users are trying to run the test right now.
Crazy. What is 750mbps used for really? Cisco live office video conferences? :P
Our bandwidth (in the datacenter) is used for web hosting including a lot of multimedia content including tons of video, audio, podcasts and radio streams (we're a media company). The office bandwidth is used to transfer video (upload and download) to many places, as well as data replication to various other sites and vendors. We also have video streaming from reporters and of course the VPN, which is a story by itself.

At the last places I worked we've used bandwidth for VOIP, data replication to multiple datacenters and financial application data. However most links were not internet links. They were dedicated circuits.

Premium
join:2008-09-23

and now that youve visited the govt spy site

they know what back doors to use on you and can now gleefully enjoy the fruits of thy labours

haha
rule 8 , never visit a gov't website without use of a proxy chain
you are a trusting lot . considering there stance on ACTA

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to fifty nine

There are 2 tests available at BB.gov the Ookla (short test, see maximum powerboost effect) and the Mlab version (larger/more complex test, PB has little effect, (but jitter measuremnet is unrealistic) )
Which test you see first is randomized, everyone should be sure to take BOTH tests, each time they visit the site, so any data collected is closer to reality.
That said it is a beta, and the location data is probably more important than the speed data at this point (if you don't feel comfortable using your own address, please use one nearby, so as not to skew the location HAVE/HAVE NOT part. It's not like you really are hidding using a fake/distant location, they can trace your IP if the really want too anyway.)

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Well, that was fun!

Ran the test and the first results were not accurate. Reran the test using another site and it crashed IE 8. LOL...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to KD4CVR

Which seems like a pretty good use of the data, as compared to say Kroger stores marking beer up on friday morning knowing you buy yours friday night, and dropping the price monday am, knowing you never buy during the week.