spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-24 18:37:49: We've had plenty of leaks over the last few months highlighting the looming launch of AT&T's new femtocell service, and today AT&T officially announced the product. AT&T's new "Microcell" won't be officially available until "mid-April. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29
kudos:1

Lets see how much research before.

Having this unit in your house can cause more brain cancer.

Im guessing att is too poor to build a proper network therefor they want you to help them and they charge you for it? What kind of crap is that.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

@home and UMA

T-mobile had similar program, but utilized wifi instead.
I think they had similar idea, pay 20 USD and have unlimited calling via Wifi.
I just the fact that my blackberry has UMA and I connect to any access point, anywhere and be able to call.
--
Semper Fi

BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16

Quick question?

I've seen some mention about 3G and this. Do I have to live in a 3G area to use one of these? I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

$20 is a bad deal...

...unless the $20 is also across family plan lines. If you stack the $20 on top of a 450-minute plan you're almost at the $70 unlimited plan price point. If you have the 900-minute plan you're already over. $10 per line would have been reasonable. $20 per line isn't.

Telco_Tech

join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH
reply to BB_Hunter

Re: Quick question?

said by BB_Hunter:

I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?
Makes sense. The carrier, in this case AT&T, has to be licensed in your area in order to broadcast in the radio spectrum their 3G service utilizes. Of course there are ways around that (GPS spoofing) but I wouldn't be surprised if a stock unit disables 3G in an area where they don't hold a spectrum license.

- Tate

--
It's time to let go of TDM people. If it's not IP-based, it's crap!

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA
reply to hayabusa3303

Re: Lets see how much research before.

said by hayabusa3303:

Having this unit in your house can cause more brain cancer.

Im guessing att is too poor to build a proper network therefor they want you to help them and they charge you for it? What kind of crap is that.
Are you even an AT&T customer?

I have 5 bars on my iPhone no matter where I go in town. The whole "can't build a proper network" argument is garbage because it's different everywhere.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

jtludwig

@comcast.net
reply to Telco_Tech

It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit
reply to Tomek

Re: @home and UMA

Personally, I think UMA is (was?) a better deal

1. You could get WiFi almost anywhere, and save on minutes
2. International roaming/long distance is essentially eliminated
3. No special equipment (outside of the handset) required.
4. You didn't need to be in a carrier licensed area (you could be in a roaming area) and still get it. AT&T/VZW/Sprint's service require an area where you can get a GPS signal to ensure that its not running into areas that it isn't licensed to transmit.

jtludwig3

join:2006-11-22
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Telco_Tech

It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.

BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16
said by jtludwig3:

Well I guess I was getting confused because of the whole term "3G Microcell". In other words it shouldn't matter that I'm in an edge only area. It will just connect and display signal strength listed as Microcell 3G on my phone instead of At&t Edge.

Also I was reading that it requires a 1.5Mbps down connection with 256Kbps up for this? What on earth does it need that much bandwidth to work? Or is that just a dummy recommendation? I would think the latency would be much more important than overall speed.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 recommendation

reply to iansltx

Re: $20 is a bad deal...

I agree on the price gouging.
$20/month is steep for voice. I'd be putting my phone on WiFi and using Skype.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29
kudos:1
reply to Time

Re: Lets see how much research before.

Just like when att tried a lawsuit vs verzion wireless in map coverage of course att LOST. YEs we can talk about proper network. (3 vs none or edge or some what 3g from att)

I have friends are att customers and there POS iphone cant get out or is stuck on edge no 3g around here so, yes they do need to build a proper network. All they do is bitch about the service that it does SUCK or slow or is BUSY.

NLiveris

join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

Huh?

Why would anyone want to pay money to help a company provide better phone service, AND have more unsightly things in your house like more power bricks, & more wasted electricity.

The way I understand it AT&T should be paying the customers to use these devices. Is AT&T going to reimburse me for the data this thing consumes on my internet connection? Is AT&T going to pay me for the electricity this device uses?

That's essentially like me making monthly payments to the government to not drive my car and keep it sitting in the garage so other people can enjoy faster commutes.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Value add is for those with poor inhouse reception

The real value for these devices is for those with poor inhouse reception on their cellphone. This device can actually save them money 2 ways:

1 - good inhouse reception can mean they no longer need a landline telephone and saving the monthly cost of that - maybe up to $50 or $60/mo.

2 - Use option to pay AT&T no monthly fee for using femtocell because most people have unlimited minutes or enough rollover minutes or friends and family features that using minutes while on the femtocell isn't a worry.
--
NCAA® March Madness on Demand®

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA

What?

So if I get this right with one option you need to pay ATT $150 to get this device, it uses your bandwidth connection, saves them some bandwidth and at the same time it uses your minutes?

Or maybe I misread it?

--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to BB_Hunter

Dummy recommendation. 100 kbps down available per conversation is the maximum that could be needed. You're right, low latency/jitter is needed.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

AT&T Microcell

It should be: Pay full retail $150, no use of mobile minutes since it is going over my broadband wireline connection. No monthly charge since I am helping AT&T fill gaps in the mobile network they own. That is an attractive offer.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

...unless the $20 is also across family plan lines.
it is... the $20/month covers all the phones on a FamilyTalk plan, for a particular MicroCell. In other words everyone in the house can use the MicroCell at the same time and only pay $20/month for unlimited minutes at home, assuming everyone's on the FamilyTalk plan and remembering only 4 devices can be active at time, and 10 max devices registered.

Transformers

join:2001-03-10
Pasadena, CA

Pricing ?

Once you buy this item is there an additional monthly charge if you are already an AT&T wireless customer?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
said by Transformers:

Once you buy this item is there an additional monthly charge if you are already an AT&T wireless customer?
There doesn't have to be. The monthly fee is an option most won't want or need.

»Value add is for those with poor inhouse reception
--
NCAA® March Madness on Demand®

cdbma

join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

$0 works for me

If they want me to stay on as a customer in my "zero bar" location, they'll need to give it to me.

twill1989

join:2009-01-03
Goose Creek, SC

I've got it already

I guess I'm in one of the test markets in charleston sc. I was at AT&T last week making changes to my plan and I picked up a microcell while I was there.

I don't mind the extra 20 a month. I can sign up for the cheapest family plan for my and my bf and essentially all calls at my house
are now unlimited. I think maybe 10 or 15 would be mote reasonable but in the end I'm glad I bought it. The call quality is absolutely great, plus the data connection is always constant (even though the 3g service is not really a issue here as it is elsewhere).

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to NLiveris

Re: Huh?

I was wondering the same thing!

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

Should be 50 bucks or even free

50 and no monthly fees if you already have At&t DSL or Uverse. I already have 5 computers and 3 devices eating up my tiny 6meg service.

CopperFiber

join:2009-12-08
Thank goodness I do not have AT&T wireless, which would mean 20.00 more on my current broadband service which is too high now for what service I get in the southeast.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to cdbma

Re: $0 works for me

That's what I was thinking too. $20 a month and minutes used to utilize the wifi I pay my ISP for already? Not a chance.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Sounds a lot better if that's true, though I believe Sprint's Airave program, which applies for ANY Airave, is preferable.

All that said, voice and DATA should be both included on the unlimited offering. Data routing would be a little odd because you'd want a similar experience to standard 3G (APNs etc.) but the expense to AT&T would be quite low, particularly for folks using AT&T DSL/U-Verse anyway.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to NLiveris

Re: Huh?

said by NLiveris:

The way I understand it AT&T should be paying the customers to use these devices. Is AT&T going to reimburse me for the data this thing consumes on my internet connection? Is AT&T going to pay me for the electricity this device uses?
Gee I dont know...Do you get reimbursed for the power your modem uses? What about your cable boxes? Did your local stations buy you antennas for all of your TVs so you could get a better picture on the TV?

You are buying this for a personal gain in your home. I bought mine when Sprint launched them several years ago because I got sick of running across the house just to send a text message.

You are already paying for your internet connection and in fact, every second your connection is any less than fully utilized, you do realize the value of that connection goes down versus what you pay. Sure it sounds a little extreme but it is right up there with the asinine responses coming from some posters who think the cell companies should pay them to use these things.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

Dan Given
Premium
join:2001-03-16
Tustin, CA

1 edit
reply to NLiveris
I tend to agree with the OP. We have ATT cellular with wonderful coverage EXCEPT inside the house. The way I see it I pay $150 up front, pay for the electricity usage, remove my phones from their cell towers when using it inside my home. The only reason I would do this is because they said 'we're not responsible for conditions inside your condo.'.
I may wait for other parties to get in on this as ATT gets the best deal here.
--
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."

cajun4x4

join:2000-10-02
Rayne, LA

2 edits

Geez people

Don't you understand that this is for the ones that have poor reception in houses that don't have good signals due to penetration issues. If you don't like it then don't buy the darn thing, but I for one cannot wait to get the service and downgrade my 1400 minute plan thereby basically costing me $50 for the device and allowing me to have unlimited use of my cell at home which is where I use my cell phonemost often. I would much rather have this that spend the hundreds of $ that most repeaters cost for whole house coverage.