dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-03-24 18:37:49: We've had plenty of leaks over the last few months highlighting the looming launch of AT&T's new femtocell service, and today AT&T officially announced the product. AT&T's new "Microcell" won't be officially available until "mid-April. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Lets see how much research before.

Having this unit in your house can cause more brain cancer.

Im guessing att is too poor to build a proper network therefor they want you to help them and they charge you for it? What kind of crap is that.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time

Premium Member

Re: Lets see how much research before.

said by hayabusa3303:

Having this unit in your house can cause more brain cancer.

Im guessing att is too poor to build a proper network therefor they want you to help them and they charge you for it? What kind of crap is that.
Are you even an AT&T customer?

I have 5 bars on my iPhone no matter where I go in town. The whole "can't build a proper network" argument is garbage because it's different everywhere.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Just like when att tried a lawsuit vs verzion wireless in map coverage of course att LOST. YEs we can talk about proper network. (3 vs none or edge or some what 3g from att)

I have friends are att customers and there POS iphone cant get out or is stuck on edge no 3g around here so, yes they do need to build a proper network. All they do is bitch about the service that it does SUCK or slow or is BUSY.

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

then guess verizon, sprint, tmobile need to built out their networks to as when I go to my parents house no coverage on any of those networks at all not even voice just says "No Service" yet my trusty iPhone has service not full bars but still has 3 bars and 3g..

bill9696
Premium Member
join:2003-12-27
Santa Monica, CA

bill9696 to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303
AT&T 3G is down in California today
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

2 edits

fartness (banned) to Time

to Time
said by Time:

Are you even an AT&T customer?

I have 5 bars on my iPhone no matter where I go in town. The whole "can't build a proper network" argument is garbage because it's different everywhere.
Yes. You ever try using them in NYC? They can't build a proper network there. This product would be great for there. Upstate NY, everything is fine for the most part.

Catmando
Catmando
Premium Member
join:2002-10-22
Lafayette, IN

Catmando to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303
Yea you’re right about the cancer. You would think by pitch and sale they would offer the device for free, and quit pointing the finger at Apple about how much bandwidth there devices are sucking up....
cajun4x4
join:2000-10-02
Rayne, LA

cajun4x4 to hayabusa3303

to hayabusa3303
No different than WIFI if you look at the frequencies used. Remember that when a cell phone has a very low signal that the phone will start transmitting at the maximum level at all times to be able to handle the needs of the connection. I would see this as a means of potentially reducing exposure over time.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

@home and UMA

T-mobile had similar program, but utilized wifi instead.
I think they had similar idea, pay 20 USD and have unlimited calling via Wifi.
I just the fact that my blackberry has UMA and I connect to any access point, anywhere and be able to call.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 edit

en102

Re: @home and UMA

Personally, I think UMA is (was?) a better deal

1. You could get WiFi almost anywhere, and save on minutes
2. International roaming/long distance is essentially eliminated
3. No special equipment (outside of the handset) required.
4. You didn't need to be in a carrier licensed area (you could be in a roaming area) and still get it. AT&T/VZW/Sprint's service require an area where you can get a GPS signal to ensure that its not running into areas that it isn't licensed to transmit.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Re: @home and UMA

It is a better deal, it's sad UMA never made it to anyone other than t-mobile.
I think UMA's biggest problem was that it required special settings on standard wifi routers to work optimally.

But I changed the couple settings for my roommate who had t-mobile and marginal service in the house and it works wonderfully for him.
He doesn't pay the extra $20 for umlimited calling, just as a way to get better reception/ call quality in the house
BB_Hunter
join:2008-05-16

BB_Hunter

Quick question?

I've seen some mention about 3G and this. Do I have to live in a 3G area to use one of these? I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?

Telco_Tech
join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH

Telco_Tech

Re: Quick question?

said by BB_Hunter:

I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?
Makes sense. The carrier, in this case AT&T, has to be licensed in your area in order to broadcast in the radio spectrum their 3G service utilizes. Of course there are ways around that (GPS spoofing) but I wouldn't be surprised if a stock unit disables 3G in an area where they don't hold a spectrum license.

- Tate
jtludwig3
join:2006-11-22
Colorado Springs, CO

jtludwig3

It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.
BB_Hunter
join:2008-05-16

BB_Hunter

said by jtludwig3:

It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.
Well I guess I was getting confused because of the whole term "3G Microcell". In other words it shouldn't matter that I'm in an edge only area. It will just connect and display signal strength listed as Microcell 3G on my phone instead of At&t Edge.

Also I was reading that it requires a 1.5Mbps down connection with 256Kbps up for this? What on earth does it need that much bandwidth to work? Or is that just a dummy recommendation? I would think the latency would be much more important than overall speed.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Dummy recommendation. 100 kbps down available per conversation is the maximum that could be needed. You're right, low latency/jitter is needed.

jtludwig
@comcast.net

jtludwig to Telco_Tech

Anon

to Telco_Tech
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to BB_Hunter

to BB_Hunter
The 3G MicroCell only radiates a 3G signal, so the device will either work or it won't. It doesn't have a 2G radio in it.

As long as you are in an AT&T licensed area that has been activated, this device will work. Whether you have macro network 3G coverage or not.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

$20 is a bad deal...

...unless the $20 is also across family plan lines. If you stack the $20 on top of a 450-minute plan you're almost at the $70 unlimited plan price point. If you have the 900-minute plan you're already over. $10 per line would have been reasonable. $20 per line isn't.

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

1 recommendation

en102

Re: $20 is a bad deal...

I agree on the price gouging.
$20/month is steep for voice. I'd be putting my phone on WiFi and using Skype.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

...unless the $20 is also across family plan lines.
it is... the $20/month covers all the phones on a FamilyTalk plan, for a particular MicroCell. In other words everyone in the house can use the MicroCell at the same time and only pay $20/month for unlimited minutes at home, assuming everyone's on the FamilyTalk plan and remembering only 4 devices can be active at time, and 10 max devices registered.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Sounds a lot better if that's true, though I believe Sprint's Airave program, which applies for ANY Airave, is preferable.

All that said, voice and DATA should be both included on the unlimited offering. Data routing would be a little odd because you'd want a similar experience to standard 3G (APNs etc.) but the expense to AT&T would be quite low, particularly for folks using AT&T DSL/U-Verse anyway.

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

en102

If (big thought here) AT&T 'really' wanted to do this properly, then they would

a) Create a combined Uverse /microcell terminal
b) Allow AT&T Uverse/DSL users free access for voice/data
if they purchased the equipment.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Nah, that would result in a loss of income, potentially...despite the fact that it would really help AT&T's cross-platform brand image etc.

Heck, if they allowed cross-microcell roaming U-Verse areas would have nice high data rates and happy AT&T wireless customers, happy U-Verse customers, etc. With U-Verse DSL powering each microcell, most of the time subscribers would see data rates of 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, if not better. Big retention tool versus Verizon and Sprint.
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to en102

to en102
said by en102:

working on it
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by 93388818:

said by en102:

working on it
oooh me want

should I wait? Or is this a 2012 kind of thing?
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

No idea, if you want the 3G MicroCell, I wouldn't wait (once it's available for your area)
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Sounds a lot better if that's true
I got it from the press release, linked in the OP. Check it yourself.
All that said, voice and DATA should be both included on the unlimited offering.
I believe it is. Although with an iPhone you'd rather be using the wireless connection to your ISP rather than going through the MicroCell, it'd be a lot faster.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

1. I believe you.
2. Not everyone has iPhones or phones with WiFi.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

to MyDogHsFleas
Last I read if you pay the $20/month you get unlimited minutes (not just unlimited while home)

I'm going to read the press release in a sec

Oh just read it they made the unlimited apply only to minutes vai the Microcell

oh well I have a ton of roll over and unlimited nights and weekends so I'm really not worried about minutes
NLiveris
join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

NLiveris

Huh?

Why would anyone want to pay money to help a company provide better phone service, AND have more unsightly things in your house like more power bricks, & more wasted electricity.

The way I understand it AT&T should be paying the customers to use these devices. Is AT&T going to reimburse me for the data this thing consumes on my internet connection? Is AT&T going to pay me for the electricity this device uses?

That's essentially like me making monthly payments to the government to not drive my car and keep it sitting in the garage so other people can enjoy faster commutes.

•••

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Value add is for those with poor inhouse reception

The real value for these devices is for those with poor inhouse reception on their cellphone. This device can actually save them money 2 ways:

1 - good inhouse reception can mean they no longer need a landline telephone and saving the monthly cost of that - maybe up to $50 or $60/mo.

2 - Use option to pay AT&T no monthly fee for using femtocell because most people have unlimited minutes or enough rollover minutes or friends and family features that using minutes while on the femtocell isn't a worry.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

What?

So if I get this right with one option you need to pay ATT $150 to get this device, it uses your bandwidth connection, saves them some bandwidth and at the same time it uses your minutes?

Or maybe I misread it?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

AT&T Microcell

It should be: Pay full retail $150, no use of mobile minutes since it is going over my broadband wireline connection. No monthly charge since I am helping AT&T fill gaps in the mobile network they own. That is an attractive offer.

Transformers
join:2001-03-10
Pasadena, CA

Transformers

Pricing ?

Once you buy this item is there an additional monthly charge if you are already an AT&T wireless customer?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Pricing ?

said by Transformers:

Once you buy this item is there an additional monthly charge if you are already an AT&T wireless customer?
There doesn't have to be. The monthly fee is an option most won't want or need.

»Value add is for those with poor inhouse reception
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma

$0 works for me

If they want me to stay on as a customer in my "zero bar" location, they'll need to give it to me.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

Re: $0 works for me

That's what I was thinking too. $20 a month and minutes used to utilize the wifi I pay my ISP for already? Not a chance.
cajun4x4
Rayne, LA

cajun4x4 to cdbma

to cdbma
Well if you are like me with techshield roofing and windows that have heavy metallic coating tint for heat resistance, I wouldn't expect any signal to get through unless I can easily see the tower. Not all areas are operating on 850mhz where that benefit would help.
twill1989
join:2009-01-03
Goose Creek, SC

twill1989

I've got it already

I guess I'm in one of the test markets in charleston sc. I was at AT&T last week making changes to my plan and I picked up a microcell while I was there.

I don't mind the extra 20 a month. I can sign up for the cheapest family plan for my and my bf and essentially all calls at my house
are now unlimited. I think maybe 10 or 15 would be mote reasonable but in the end I'm glad I bought it. The call quality is absolutely great, plus the data connection is always constant (even though the 3g service is not really a issue here as it is elsewhere).

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

Should be 50 bucks or even free

50 and no monthly fees if you already have At&t DSL or Uverse. I already have 5 computers and 3 devices eating up my tiny 6meg service.
CopperFiber
join:2009-12-08

CopperFiber

Re: Should be 50 bucks or even free

Thank goodness I do not have AT&T wireless, which would mean 20.00 more on my current broadband service which is too high now for what service I get in the southeast.
cajun4x4
Rayne, LA

cajun4x4

Re: Should be 50 bucks or even free

I would expect all the other providers to follow the same pricing model. Especially Verizon...
cajun4x4

2 edits

cajun4x4

Geez people

Don't you understand that this is for the ones that have poor reception in houses that don't have good signals due to penetration issues. If you don't like it then don't buy the darn thing, but I for one cannot wait to get the service and downgrade my 1400 minute plan thereby basically costing me $50 for the device and allowing me to have unlimited use of my cell at home which is where I use my cell phonemost often. I would much rather have this that spend the hundreds of $ that most repeaters cost for whole house coverage.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

Re: Geez people

Lets see I pay $230ish a month for wireless(family),landline and DSL. I want to get a smart phone in April so I have to add $30 on top of what I pay so that's $260. Now add $20 for the Microcell and it comes out too $280. Don't you think that's a tad bit too much?
It should be.
1 At&t service(cell). $20 a month plus $50 for the Microcell.
2 At&t services. $15 a month plus $50 for Microcell.
3 At&t services. $5 dollars a month or just don't give me the $5 dollars off my bill for having 3 services plus $50 for the Microcell.
4 Services The Microcell device should be free and no monthly fee.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to cajun4x4

Premium Member

to cajun4x4
said by cajun4x4:

Don't you understand that this is for the ones that have poor reception in houses that don't have good signals due to penetration issues. If you don't like it the don't buy the darn thing, but I for one cannot wait to get the service and downgrade my 1400 minute plan thereby basically costing me $50 for the device and allowing me to have unlimited use of my cell at home which is where it it used most often. I would much rather have this that spend the hundreds of $ that most repeaters cost for whole house coverage.
Totally agree...and I'm in exactly that situation. 'Doesn't matter what carrier, there is limited or no cell service inside of our house due to 1) 250 year old 18" thick stone walls in part of the house and 2) the local topology which blocks line-of-sight to the tower on the hill behind us that is less than 1/2 mile away. I just want the femtocell so our iPhones and my daughters' phones will actually work in the house...we have more than enough roll-over minutes to use that there would be no point to us subscribing to the $20 "unlimited" plan for this since we're not heavy phone users.
TylerCobb
Premium Member
join:2010-01-14
Bartow, GA

TylerCobb

Premium Member

Well i need dsl first.

Well this isn't going to work. Att still hasn't run fiber or DSL to my area. What's next a little antenna to make my own DSL. Lol

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

Re: Well i need dsl first.

It will work on any broadband service. You just need U-verse or DSL for the rebate.
TylerCobb
Premium Member
join:2010-01-14
Bartow, GA

TylerCobb

Premium Member

Re: Well i need dsl first.

Yea i know but ATT service's my area and i don't have cable so the only thing i can get is Satellite Internet or Air Card

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Uses your wireless minutes!

Unless you have a unlimited plan, it makes the whole deal a NON STARTER.

Very, very greedy, AT&T!

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

Overseas use?

I saw some comments about a "GPS check" where the unit tries to figure out where it is. Can anyone verify that?

I have a friend that's out of the country for at least a few months a year. He also has an iPhone and currently just uses a phone from a local carrier when he's away. If this beast could actually be tricked into working in a non-ATT area, well, that would be keen and well worth the $20/month or $150 upfront.

•••••

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Overseas, switching carriers , prepaid, & not unlimited.

Well in theory it will connect to any internet connection, so hopefully it will NOT lock into your local IP address or a US only IP address, allowing you to travel the world with it. It would be a great advantage for those like me who travel to Canada often and those who go over seas. At $20 its worth it for those situations, however for constant usage in my house only? I think not. if thats to be the case I'll wait for the Magicjack femto to hit the market and save $18 a month! I own a unlocked Blackberry 8220 with b.tooth & wifi, No 3G.

I especially love to laugh at this part ,and I quote... " Those who don't want to pay $20 a month (plus wireless plan) can pay the full $150 for the device, but calls made via the Microcell will eat away at your AT&T wireless minutes.". So if I want to own my device I get penalized and Im guessing no unlimited for me. this might have merit for those on by-the-min prepaid, $100 airtime gets you 1 year of service but we know ATT will lock those customers out from using Micorocell with prepaid. why? because thats the only customers it would make basic sense for. Unlimited mins at home and you don't need to worry about a monthly cell bill. You could get rid of your VOIP provider if your single/ or live alone and use this for home phone service instead ( i think thats whats ATT is hoping for). I'd pay $20 ($10 sounds better) a month if It could be used for unlimited calls @ home on a by-the-min prepaid plan/sim on ATT.

The funny part is how they sneaked the bundle option in there, so what happens to those who have cable internet and are happy with there much faster than DSL speeds for almost the same price. Great gimmick to get you to switch ISP's. however we know ATT does not market items for there customers they market it for the shareholders. Get your wallet out for and extra $20 a month to ATT for something thats really not unlimited. Why? if your on cable you better start watching your data usage if your a heavy user as most are caped. Making your Unlimited calling from your ATT's microcell ...well LIMITED!

93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

Re: Overseas, switching carriers , prepaid, & not unlimited.

said by buddahbless:

Well in theory it will connect to any internet connection, so hopefully it will NOT lock into your local IP address or a US only IP address, allowing you to travel the world with it...
Nope, GPS and other methods make sure you have it working where the device is registered.

That doesn't mean you can't move it or take it with you, you just have to register the new location using your online account.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

I'm quite pleased with my Microcell.

I've been using one of these for about a month. We have 3G and 5-bar coverage all through the house from the cell tower. I got it for the unlimited daytime calling. We have a five-line family plan with two teenagers in the house.

You have to register the device and provide your physical address. It uses GPS to confirm your actual location matches the address provided. This is a FCC requirement for the 911 locator service, and so the box only uses the frequencies ATT is licensed for in that location.

The initialization process takes about an hour to complete. After the initial setup, the box is back on-line within 5 minutes after a power-cycle. The microcell only works with 3G phones. The range is about 40-70 feet, depending on the structure. The box is designed to cover a 5000 square-foot area.
tivoboy
join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA

tivoboy

don't understand

When this thing was FIRST announced, the reports were that

IF one was and AT&T customer, home phone and or DSL, that the 20$ a month fee would be reduced by 10$ a month, essentially netting it to ZERO if one had both services, home phone and DSL.

I mean COME ON, it HELPS AT&T if we use this at home, since it takes the load off the towers. Why not make it a value add, and not just a FBI for AT&T!
93388818 (banned)
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned)

Curious

if people understand that the calls placed while on the Microcell still complete over the AT&T mobility network.
page: 1 · 2 · next