spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-05-06 13:51:27: In 2008, Bell Canada started throttling wholesale customers without telling them, ensuring that smaller ISPs couldn't offer an un-throttled connection to consumers that was better than Bell's throttled Sympatico service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Time to move to another country?

I'm seriously considering it. I require a technologically forward thinking nation. Not a backwards thinking one. You can't do business in the hi-tech sector from within a nation that simply isn't competitive on the world stage.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com (click "Watch Live!")

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

4 edits

2 recommendations

BULLSHIT

These decisions just prove nobody gives a shit about consumer needs. PROFIT rape.

Guess I will have to cancel my TV cable to cover the costs for my family's current relatively low level of internet usage (200GB/month). People don't have bottomless wallets like the corporations, government and CRTC think.

Countless higher taxes, new municipal taxes, higher costs of everything, HST, bullshit fee rulings for corporations, TV taxes, electricity & water smart meter price hikes, coin operated washrooms, insane level of unemployment among educated youth. And somehow this is considered progress in the right direction???

Canada is officially a lost cause.

Ficticious Person (Corporations) > Actual People & Canadian Families

Thats the simple truth of our reality. We need to stand up and fight for our rights, because reasoning with these corrupt people just doesn't work.

OUR RIGHTS ARE NOT FOR SALE! SO SCREW OFF!

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

Max Overage

$22.50 is not the max overage.There is no max overage.after 300GB it 75¢ per GB

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Boost Mobile

Stifled innovation

All this is going to do is slow the growth of new technology and put places that do apply this ridiculous stuff into effect at a disadvantage to countries that do not. I really hope it doesnt happen in the US and somehow our friends to the north come to their senses before allowing this.

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to torobull123

Re: BULLSHIT

said by torobull123:

Ficticious Person (Corporations) > Actual People & Canadian Families

Thats the simple truth of our reality. We need to stand up and fight for our rights, because reasoning with these corrupt people just doesn't work.
I've been asking people to stand by me in this declaration, but they are so molded to believe the status quo is the only way, they laugh. They complain that corporations with no voting power get more representation than actual voters do, but refuse to accept it is time to redefine corporate structure and rights.

m3chen

join:2009-12-03
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

screw the CRTC and Bell

CRTC commissioner Candice Molnar attached a dissenting opinion to the ruling. She said the requirement on Bell to move all of its customers off unlimited downloading plans was unnecessary because a vast majority are already on usage-based services.

Looks like we know who Bell bought. I really hate the CRTC so much, god damn useless garbage comission that panders to the big two so that we can get ass raped some more.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to milnoc

Re: Time to move to another country?

Lol, time to move back to the US.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to m3chen

Re: screw the CRTC and Bell

CRTC... bought and paid for by major Telco/CableCo

dissi

join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

f**ken SHOCKING

How?
WTF?
As many have stated, this is SOOOO backwards in logic and humanity. We already get raped in Canada for services others get for far less. The ONLY reason is the CRTC & government either don't give a shit about anything, in which case we MUST shut them down, OR they were paid off and we should shut them down.
It is ABSURD and I am embarrassed to be a Canadian.
In fact, we should find a way to remove the word "CANADA" from "Bell..." because they are the most horrific bunch of wankers Canada has ever seen.
Time to change the rules of what corporations get away with at our expense.
I guess I will have to find a corrupt job for myself where I can get kickbacks, at least enough to cover my internet costs

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to en102

amend to that...

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS

Who measure the measurers?

Ok, so you charge by the byte.

What recognised certified device will be used to measure it? Who will handle disputes between independant ISP customers charged by Bell?

Bah, perfect unacountable money making scheme.
--
"Vision without funds....
is a hallucination"

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to torobull123

Now wait just a doggone minute. I thought the Canadian health care system has been held in high regard by many Americans wanting the exact same system. How can such a technologically backward thinking nation offer such great health care? Something is fishy here...

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

Well I think I know how this will play out.

Anyone that thinks health-care is more important than broadband will move north, and anyone that thinks Internet is more important than health-care will move south.

I think the governments just gave us "marching orders".

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to JB

Re: Time to move to another country?

I was thinking a nation somewhere in Europe.

hd2002

join:2003-07-08
Toronto

wtf

hmm, who the hell do i have to vote for in the next election to stop this??

munky99999
Munky

join:2004-04-10
canada

All bell customers?

quote:
The regulator attached a key caveat to the approval, however, in that Bell must apply usage-based billing to all of its retail customers before it can implement the scheme with its wholesale internet service providers. Bell will therefore need to move any customers it has on unlimited downloading services onto new usage-based plans before it can apply the same scheme on a wholesale basis.
I still have unlimited. So I'll hold out as long as I can to help wholesellers stay usage-free.

Which actually makes me wonder. Ive been having Bell call a bunch lately. These indian sounding people. The latest guy was like drug-adled sluring his words with indian accent. Couldnt understand a word.
--
--
if (value == 0)
return value;
else
return 0;

anonyme0897

join:2007-08-25
Quebec, Cana

1 edit

1 recommendation

Corruption

Either the CRTC doesn't understand the competition issue or there is corruption.

What the hell are they thinking??? Band of f*****g morons!!!!

Why didn't they suggest BHell to establish intelligent throttling like Comcast did in the USA??? It has been proved that intelligent thottling work very well to control congestion, when there is.

The problem is that the CRTC take every "argument" and data from BHell as true. WHY don't they check the facts and calculate the costs themselves instead of following BHell directives??

Stupidity and/or corruption?

oh what can you do

when bell throws money at the crtc, and the crtc are ex members of bell or rogers

its no suprise the the public and wholesellers will never get anything done with the crtc

torobull123

1 edit

Court or Audit

We as Canadian consumers, Canadian Families & Human Beings should take this decision to the supreme court and/or call in an unbiased federal auditor to investigate the entire situation and decision.

Questions:
1) Challenge the decision (possibly as violation of Canadian rights, since communication is an essential feature of our Canadian society & economy)
2) The legitimacy of the CRTC. Biased CRTC members (giant telecom corporate ex-CEOs) with very biased decision ruled almost always against the average consumer.
3) Raise the issue of plausible collusion between all the major telecom giants. As of now (a couple of months from now) there will be ZERO reasonable alternatives in Canada as seen with such companies as Teksavvy Inc. If it looks like a duck, & quacks like duck, its most likely a duck.

monkman

join:2008-12-10

1 edit
reply to torobull123

Stop your overly dramatic whining.

Your "relatively low level of internet usage" puts everything else in perspective. If you think that's a low level of usage then there's your problem right there.

You can download 10 seasons of an hour long TV series for 60 gigs. That's 200 episodes. Then you can add 12 blu-ray ripped movies off of Netflix etc at 4.5 gigs each for another 54 gigs. That's three movies every week. And you're still only at half of your supposed usage.

I'm sorry, but you're deluded if you think that you're somehow a "low level of internet usage".

torobull123

3 edits

1 recommendation

.......... really? Or maybe you are just ignorant of other peoples' circumstances, ways of life and financial situations.

I have 5 people in my family that use the same internet in my household. 60GB is a joke on a lower middle class salary. 200GB is perfectly reasonable on our budget.

Not interested in your Bell support rants, especially if you are some overprivilaged prick with too much money and not enough ideas on how to spend it.

monkman

1 edit
Excuse me? You continue to insist that you have a need for 200GB of usage, but the math says otherwise.

Even if you have five people in your household and two TVs connected to two computers your claims are absolutely ridiculous. You could stream content on both of those computer/TV combos for 8 hours a day EVERY DAY for the entire month and you're still only using 2/3 of what you claim to use.

350 megs for an hour long show, 45 minutes plus commercials, times 8 hours a day is 2.8 gigs per day. Times 30 days is 84 gigs per month. Times two TVs which I assume your family would have with three kids is still only 168 gigs. That's more than enough left for online gaming, email, browsing, or anything else.

Where exactly is all of this content coming from? Do you let your kids watch TV 16 hours a day?

It's a serious question.

ReformCRTC
Support Your Independent ISP

join:2004-03-07
Canada
reply to David

Re: Well I think I know how this will play out.

I like both, thank you!
--
Speak Truth To Power.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
I was a tongue in cheek joke. I have nothing else today.

monkman

reply to en102

You do realize that the CRTC is founded and consists of members of the telecom industry, right? It was always meant to be a self regulatory agency with oversight and organization by the government to ensure they were on the right track.

You can argue they're on the wrong track (I would) but let's not pretend to be surprised that they see things from the telecom point of view.

Failing to understand their reasoning and espousing this kind of garbage just makes your voice go unheard.

The cause would be better served by joining a consumer advocacy group and helping a lobby in your favour.

Or you could just keep crying on internet forums and advocating pitchfork syndrome. It's worked so well so far.

ReformCRTC
Support Your Independent ISP

join:2004-03-07
Canada
reply to David

I know, I know...

I still want both though. I mean, Bell and big corporations always seem to get their cake and eat it too, why can't I?

Thom Hartmann was dead on in his program today.

Why do we have to put up with corporations being able to have the rights and privileges of citizens?
--
Speak Truth To Power.

monkman

1 edit
reply to torobull123

Re: Court or Audit

You want to know why that's not going to happen, champ? I know this is going to shatter your world view (wah wah I want a whopper at McDonalds because the customer is always right!) but I'll try anyway.

This is a business decision taking into account the social impacts surrounding it. You have two choices, actually three choices, that you can go forward with here.

1. You can sit there whining on an internet forum and possibly take up a pitchfork to the CRTC about corruption, philandering, or any other three syllable word you don't actually know the definition of.

2. You can present or work with a lobbying group (read: consumer advocacy group) to present an alternate business plan such as fully metered internet usage at a MUCH MORE reasonable rate (let's face it, 75 cents per gig is ridiculous) or anything else you can think of that has a solid business case in favour of it.

3. You can present or work with a lobbying group to present an alternate social plan such as socializing the infrastructure by purchasing it back and placing it in the hands of a federal crown corporation and then lease it all out to the big and small telecoms alike.

I'm guessing you're going to go with #1. Congrats, you're an internet hobo.

If anyone here is interested in two or three, maybe we can get organized. Since I'm the only one here who doesn't seem to be a sky-is-falling type that a politician or regulator wouldn't bother to listen to then I can lead this quiet revolution. It'll be fun and I should be good at it since according to Torobull I'm incredibly rich and influential.

PM me for fun times.

monkman

reply to ReformCRTC

Because whining on the internet is just so easy.

Whereas organizing and participating in our government bureaucracy is just so hard and thankless.

Besides, I'm sure you're too busy worrying about your family, mortgage, and two car payments anyway. The corporations can have their aristocracy.

Just as long as I get to whine on the internet about it.

hyperi0n

join:2002-11-15
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

reply to monkman

Re: Court or Audit

Monopolist pigs.
Expand your moderator at work