dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-05-17 08:49:09: As we've been exploring, a new firm called the "U.S. Copyright Group" intends to make a business model out of suing users who trade copyrighted files. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

TW's real issue

It's not that they don't want to hand over your IP to these asshats - it's that they want some a$$istance to get it done.
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

borka

How is this even legal?

I dont understand why all isp's done deny the requests for IP's?? this puts extra work load on their employees and costs them money.

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.

And i find it hard to believe that the "US Coperight Group" will be able to get THOUSANDS of court orders each month from a judge.

This "Sue o matic" approach has to be illegal.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to jjoshua

MVM

to jjoshua

Re: TW's real issue

said by jjoshua:

It's not that they don't want to hand over your IP to these asshats - it's that they want some a$$istance to get it done.
Nah, its that they want their cut of the $$.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001 to borka

to borka

Re: How is this even legal?

Why? Just because so many people do an illegal activity it has to be legal?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios

said by wkm001:

Why? Just because so many people do an illegal activity it has to be legal?
Yea its called Civil Disobedience. Its how you get bad laws changed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ci ··· bedience

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to borka

MVM

to borka
said by borka:

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.
What exactly do you think a subpoena is? In this case it's an official writ compelling TWC to produce the information. There is little judicial processing required as a subpoena can be very narrow or broad. If it's overly broad, the subpoenaed party can attempt to quash it by going before a judge for review. TWC can ask for compensation to produce the information. I know Verizon has such a policy.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

1 recommendation

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Suspect subject..

I call bull on the whole thing. Over 2,000 downloads of Far Cry? What torrenter in their right mind would download a Uwe Boll film in the first place, let alone watch it?

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

i can only guess its to point and laugh at how bad it was
my first reaction was "they made a farcry movie?"
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo

...I was completely unaware of a Far Cry movie. Lucky me until now.
AlfredNewman6
join:2010-03-25
Columbus, OH

AlfredNewman6 to elios

to elios
said by elios:

i can only guess its to point and laugh at how bad it was
my first reaction was "they made a farcry movie?"
Can't be any worse than knights and ninjas on the same battlefield with chicks flying above them in the trees shooting arrows but I digress.

Time Warner Cable, as far as I can remember, has always given the MPAA/RIAA the middle finger for as long as I can remember. It's the only reason I'm still with them, than and I can't get any other broadband proivder where I live.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to elios

MVM

to elios

said by elios:

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that
You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.

Corrahn
join:2004-08-09
Maumelle, AR

1 recommendation

Corrahn

what?

I had no idea there was even a Far Cry movie, maybe I should pirate it and check it out...

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four

Premium Member

Maybe this is a secret plot to improve the ratings

Because as others have mentioned, all the movies that this "US Copyright Group" are sending pay up or else notices for suck so horribly that no one in their right minds would buy or rent them.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to jjoshua

Anon

to jjoshua

And why should they not be compensated for gathering this information for them?

It's for civil lawsuits. Anyone else doing research for the lawsuit is going to get paid or collect a fee for their part.

Why should the firm have free investigations done for them?

elios
Springfield, MO

2 edits

elios to cdru

to cdru

said by cdru:

said by elios:

You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.
does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by elios:

does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation
DMCA didn't make copyright infringement suddenly illegal. It was illegal long before that. If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

said by cdru:

If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.
For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.
james16

1 recommendation

james16 to Corrahn

to Corrahn

Re: what?

said by Corrahn:

I had no idea there was even a Far Cry movie, maybe I should pirate it and check it out...
Don't do it!

Not because you might get sued, but because it was made by that disgusting pig Uwe Boll. He's never made a movie worth seeing even for free.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to skuv

Premium Member

to skuv

It is my understanding, depending on where you live that you can charge for the information. you can charge for the person doing the work, and a photo copy charge. Not sure about police and government work, any lawyers out there?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

Kearnstd to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
hey since its the RIAA and friends i think the ISPs should charge them $75,000 per IP address they have to lookup. would be a nice profit and would likely hold back lookups unless they are 100% sure.

but i do agree with priorities, if two requests came into my Queue id processes the one for "person threatening to kill someone with fire" over "downloaded lord of the rings trilogy"

Ioweyou
@comcast.net

Ioweyou

Anon

The almighty dollar

Sure... we'll be glad to look up that IP address for you. For a fee of course. And why shouldn't they (the ISP) be able to charge a fee? It's just like background check companies peforming background checks on employees for companies. You want a servie? Pay for it!
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned) to jjoshua

to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

wonder
warner brothers
time warner

any relation?
ACTA do not forget
drew1089
join:2010-02-25
Saint Paul, MN

drew1089

How?

How does the Copyright Group tell which ips downloaded the movies?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to borka

Premium Member

to borka

more vital, how is it even legal that Uwe Boll is still allowed to make movies based on video games.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to drew1089

to drew1089

Re: How?

they hire a watchdog firm to place a copy of the film in a torrent client and track the IP address's that connect to request it. The watchdog firm OFC does not upload any data, and has permission to download it. Anybody that runs torrents should have an updated blocklist, and that usually includes the IP address's of these watchdog firms. They are questionable anyway because they can prove you have a complete copy, they can only prove that your torrent client connected to them, looking for information about this torrent.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to james16

MVM

to james16

said by james16:

For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.
Please then, educate me. Please show me some type of evidence that people who are pirating the latest movie or song or ebook aren't doing so because they don't want to pay for it, but rather they are protesting some unfair or unjust law oppressing them.
drew1089
join:2010-02-25
Saint Paul, MN

drew1089 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo

Re: How?

Doesn't sound like that could be legal for a court case. So if you tried to download it from them it wouldnt even actually download how can the prove you got it?

james16

james16 to cdru

to cdru

said by cdru:

Please then, educate me.
Sorry chief, there are only so many hours in the day. If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind and you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Also you'll see how copyright laws have changed in the past hundred years.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by james16:

If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind
Despite how I may sound, I actually have a very open mind. I personally don't care a whole lot between the battles between **AA and those that download their content...and I often cheer for the little guy in some way even if they are guilty.
you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money. I guess if you want to call it that then go ahead. But I don't think many would call it civil disobedience. I think most, even those that do it, piracy.

james16

james16

said by cdru:

Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money.
It's civil disobedience towards copyright law which is in place to the sole benefit of publishers and the detriment of the public at large and artists themselves.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, in this matter people have already made up their mind and no amount of reason or logic will change their minds, so I'm not going to bother discussing this matter with you any further.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next