dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-05-17 08:49:09: As we've been exploring, a new firm called the "U.S. Copyright Group" intends to make a business model out of suing users who trade copyrighted files. ..

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

TW's real issue

It's not that they don't want to hand over your IP to these asshats - it's that they want some a$$istance to get it done.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: TW's real issue

said by jjoshua:

It's not that they don't want to hand over your IP to these asshats - it's that they want some a$$istance to get it done.
Nah, its that they want their cut of the $$.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to jjoshua

Anon

to jjoshua
And why should they not be compensated for gathering this information for them?

It's for civil lawsuits. Anyone else doing research for the lawsuit is going to get paid or collect a fee for their part.

Why should the firm have free investigations done for them?

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7

Premium Member

It is my understanding, depending on where you live that you can charge for the information. you can charge for the person doing the work, and a photo copy charge. Not sure about police and government work, any lawyers out there?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

Kearnstd to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
hey since its the RIAA and friends i think the ISPs should charge them $75,000 per IP address they have to lookup. would be a nice profit and would likely hold back lookups unless they are 100% sure.

but i do agree with priorities, if two requests came into my Queue id processes the one for "person threatening to kill someone with fire" over "downloaded lord of the rings trilogy"
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound

I agree.they want info on someone who downloaded a song just make a ridiculous value on the song like $100,000 and say we will charge you 1/2 off $50,000.
Screw the MPAA & RIAA !!!
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned) to jjoshua

to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

wonder
warner brothers
time warner

any relation?
ACTA do not forget

dddane
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

dddane

Time Warner Cable is NOT Time Warner.

they have nothing to do with each other any longer. so no, no relation
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

borka

How is this even legal?

I dont understand why all isp's done deny the requests for IP's?? this puts extra work load on their employees and costs them money.

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.

And i find it hard to believe that the "US Coperight Group" will be able to get THOUSANDS of court orders each month from a judge.

This "Sue o matic" approach has to be illegal.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Re: How is this even legal?

Why? Just because so many people do an illegal activity it has to be legal?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios

said by wkm001:

Yea its called Civil Disobedience. Its how you get bad laws changed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ci ··· bedience

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by elios:

some thing about a black woman not giving up her seat on a bus or some thing like that
You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.

elios
Springfield, MO

2 edits

elios

said by cdru:

said by elios:

You are equating pirating material to civil disobedience and the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s? That's just insulting to someone who's practice civil disobedience in the past.
does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by elios:

does prohibition make it better for you then?
imo the DMCA is just as bad if not worse then segregation
DMCA didn't make copyright infringement suddenly illegal. It was illegal long before that. If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

said by cdru:

If you wore a t-shirt or distributed the source of DeCSS, that was civil disobedience against the DMCA. Protesting the DMCA by downloading a movie that you don't own isn't civil disobedience.
For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by james16:

For someone "who's practice civil disobedience" you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what actually constitutes civil disobedience.
Please then, educate me. Please show me some type of evidence that people who are pirating the latest movie or song or ebook aren't doing so because they don't want to pay for it, but rather they are protesting some unfair or unjust law oppressing them.

james16

james16

said by cdru:

Please then, educate me.
Sorry chief, there are only so many hours in the day. If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind and you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Also you'll see how copyright laws have changed in the past hundred years.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by james16:

If you're actually interested do your own research with an open mind
Despite how I may sound, I actually have a very open mind. I personally don't care a whole lot between the battles between **AA and those that download their content...and I often cheer for the little guy in some way even if they are guilty.
you'll see why "piracy" is the only reason we aren't still waiting a year between when a movie is in theatres before it comes out on an edited down low quality VHS for $30.99.
Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money. I guess if you want to call it that then go ahead. But I don't think many would call it civil disobedience. I think most, even those that do it, piracy.

james16

james16

said by cdru:

Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money.
It's civil disobedience towards copyright law which is in place to the sole benefit of publishers and the detriment of the public at large and artists themselves.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, in this matter people have already made up their mind and no amount of reason or logic will change their minds, so I'm not going to bother discussing this matter with you any further.
robertg1234
join:2004-04-19
Palo Alto, CA

robertg1234

said by james16:

said by cdru:

Ah, so it's not an unjust law that the civil disobedience is towards, it's a company's release schedule and desire to make money.
It's civil disobedience towards copyright law which is in place to the sole benefit of publishers and the detriment of the public at large and artists themselves.
Unfortunately it's The Law. Much as we hate it. And it's lemmings like us who allow Congre$$ to be bought into ... err ... pass those laws.

I regularly practice civil disobedience. I don't go to the movies. I don't buy any new music. I limit my video purchases to under $10 for Bluray ($5 for DVD), and I keep a 1-item Netflix acct.

I have a Tivo with lots of movies I prefer to keep. And TV shows in which I edit out commercials (download/upload via pyTivo and hand edit). And once cable becomes expensive, I'll cancel and keep those movies and shows on my Tivo to watch.

The RIAA/MPAA can sue and sue all they want. They have scared me away from it all for sure.

They just have also scared me away from other legitimate choices also.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by robertg1234:

And TV shows in which I edit out commercials (download/upload via pyTivo and hand edit). And once cable becomes expensive, I'll cancel and keep those movies and shows on my Tivo to watch.
I don't think that's 100% Kosher
djcrazy
Premium Member
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

djcrazy to wkm001

Premium Member

to wkm001
said by wkm001:

Why should these entities be able to buy laws from our corrupt government that are not in the general public's best interest?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to borka

MVM

to borka
said by borka:

Unless a judge issues a court order to surrender the information, the isp's need to deny the request.
What exactly do you think a subpoena is? In this case it's an official writ compelling TWC to produce the information. There is little judicial processing required as a subpoena can be very narrow or broad. If it's overly broad, the subpoenaed party can attempt to quash it by going before a judge for review. TWC can ask for compensation to produce the information. I know Verizon has such a policy.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to borka

Premium Member

to borka
more vital, how is it even legal that Uwe Boll is still allowed to make movies based on video games.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to borka

Premium Member

to borka
this puts extra work load on their employees and costs them money.
Having handled address lookups back in the days of dialup where there were 100s of connections and disconnections per hour making it a lot more work, I have to call bull****. It wasn't that much work then -- one shell script that made one complicated SQL query. It's absolutely trivial with today's rarely changing DSL and cable dynamic addressing.

I'd love to get $45 per lookup. I'd be f'ing RICH in no time.

(Plus, knowing people are going to be asking, you setup systems to make it quick and easy.)
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

You've just described the technical end of it. That's the easy part. I suspect the bottleneck at TWC comes from their legal department, which doubtless reviews these requests before allowing their IT folks to release the information.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

1 recommendation

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Suspect subject..

I call bull on the whole thing. Over 2,000 downloads of Far Cry? What torrenter in their right mind would download a Uwe Boll film in the first place, let alone watch it?

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

Re: Suspect subject..

i can only guess its to point and laugh at how bad it was
my first reaction was "they made a farcry movie?"
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo

Re: Suspect subject..

...I was completely unaware of a Far Cry movie. Lucky me until now.
AlfredNewman6
join:2010-03-25
Columbus, OH

AlfredNewman6 to elios

to elios
said by elios:

i can only guess its to point and laugh at how bad it was
my first reaction was "they made a farcry movie?"
Can't be any worse than knights and ninjas on the same battlefield with chicks flying above them in the trees shooting arrows but I digress.

Time Warner Cable, as far as I can remember, has always given the MPAA/RIAA the middle finger for as long as I can remember. It's the only reason I'm still with them, than and I can't get any other broadband proivder where I live.

Corrahn
join:2004-08-09
Maumelle, AR

1 recommendation

Corrahn

what?

I had no idea there was even a Far Cry movie, maybe I should pirate it and check it out...

••••

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four

Premium Member

Maybe this is a secret plot to improve the ratings

Because as others have mentioned, all the movies that this "US Copyright Group" are sending pay up or else notices for suck so horribly that no one in their right minds would buy or rent them.

Ioweyou
@comcast.net

Ioweyou

Anon

The almighty dollar

Sure... we'll be glad to look up that IP address for you. For a fee of course. And why shouldn't they (the ISP) be able to charge a fee? It's just like background check companies peforming background checks on employees for companies. You want a servie? Pay for it!
drew1089
join:2010-02-25
Saint Paul, MN

drew1089

How?

How does the Copyright Group tell which ips downloaded the movies?

••••••

enchanter100
@omcastbusiness.net

enchanter100

Anon

Is it legal..

They actually don't take people to court over this, they threaten to and ask for money. If people are dumb enough to send money, then their ploy worked. If you don't send money, I haven't heard of them actually suing anyone..
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

Re: Is it legal..

said by enchanter100 :

They actually don't take people to court over this, they threaten to and ask for money. If people are dumb enough to send money, then their ploy worked. If you don't send money, I haven't heard of them actually suing anyone..
If anyone but a lawyer does it, the word for that sort of activity is "extortion".

wh8
@comcast.net

wh8

Anon

us copyright

I don't understand how a file can be copyrighted? The files may contain copyrighted content, but the files themselves aren't copyrighted. Am I correct in thinking this?

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5

Premium Member

Re: us copyright

said by wh8 :

I don't understand how a file can be copyrighted? The files may contain copyrighted content, but the files themselves aren't copyrighted. Am I correct in thinking this?
You are pretty much correct. If I have an empty folder named Star Wars and I share it... I can't get in trouble in any way for sharing an empty file named after a copyrighted movie....If I could in someway get in trouble for sharing the name "Star Wars" then this thread and my post would be illegal which of course it's not.

Now, for example, if that folder has any of the Star Wars movies or other Star Wars content in it that IS copyrighted, LucasArts has the rights to go after me for illegal distribution and anything else that they can legally get away with throwing at me..

Files don't get people busted for copyright infringement, content does....

aladdin2807
@charter.com

aladdin2807

Anon

Oh shit

I'm one of the ones on the list, I'm scared shitless right now. I hated the movie but I did buy just to add to my Farcry collection.The only reason I downloaded it cause it took so long to find it cause no one had it. found it at a game store. I have both Farcry 1 and 2 and Crysis 1 and 2. So I bought the movie for the collection only, cause it was really bad. And now to be sued for it just don't seem right. I even owned a video game room in a mall and was responsible for 100's of sales of that game and was great at the game. Game name was THEONE and I was to, the one to beat. What a huge kick in the ass this is. Don't even have any $$$ to fight them.
I have over 300 moves that I have bought over the years so I do support the industry.

•••••

f_uscopy
@comcast.net

f_uscopy

Anon

call comcast

call the COMCAST LEGAL DEPARTMENT

Hours of Operation:
8:30AM – 5:00PM Eastern Time
Telephone: (856) 317-7272
Service of Process Fax: (856) 317-7319
Emergency Contact:
Telephone: (877) 249-7306

TELL COMCAST TO RESPECT YOUR PRIVACY!!! or else you will switch to satelite
djcrazy
Premium Member
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN

3 edits

djcrazy

Premium Member

Just Sayin'

And while we are at it, Why don't we the people start holding the music and movie industry legally liable for all the costs that their products cause to society?

Their products glorify and promote drug use, gangs, murder, suicide, teen pregnancy, sexual assault, violence, etc. This costs society billions each year to deal with. Why should we the taxpayers be on the hook for all of this just so they can profit?

We did something like this to the tobacco companies, now it's their turn.

On another point: They promoted these kinds of morals (especially among the young) and now they are crying because they are, in their eyes a victim.

As the saying goes.... Karma works in many mysterious ways.

Rickk
@express.oricom.ca

Rickk

Anon

Copyright laws

I personnally feel there is a little too much piracy on the net, but on another hand, before internet, information/music was way too hard to get, in price and physical avaliability.

The only way to stop piracy is to create ways to distribute movies easily, by either lowering prices, or by others means (such as internet*). Currently the public use the easiest way, illegal, but still the easiest way.

*I reckon this is harder to say then to do, but the future is obviously here, or we'll just lose the music industry...

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed

Re: Copyright laws

How do they know who "down loaded" it? Unless they hosted it themselves for distribution, I'm not sure they can catch the D/L'ers, just the hosters.
tc17
join:2003-08-14

tc17

Morally and Legally wrong

This whole thing the fake copyright group is doing (and yes they are just some made up group who is using the name "copyright" in it), its all morally wrong.

First, they have no proof that the person behind the IP did anything... it could have been anyone. Which in my eyes, I find ridiculous for any judge to approve some kind of mass lawsuit like this without even any real proof in front or their eyes, except an IP number.

Then they on top of it all, are using blackmail to extort money out of everyone. That is just wrong in every way. Thats our great justice system over here apparently.

Even law enforcement doesn't have that easy of a time getting subpoenas without much more detailed and proven proof.

The company is run from another country(Germany), who just hired some lawyers in America to steal real money from Americans.
AwesomeMachi3
join:2008-08-15
Milwaukee, WI

AwesomeMachi3

This Thread is Inane.

Juries are slamming P2P file sharing. There is a limit placed on the intelligence of jurors, but none whatsoever on their stupidity. I quit using copyrighted material, unless I can purchase it used. I never buy DVDs or popular music recordings, because third millennium flicks and music are ugly. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on consumption of empty, meaningless media content, canned and programmed by corporate giants, to be stuffed down the throat of a bankrupt culture in an effort to squeeze every last penny out of consumers before the human race commits genocide against itself.

The best things in life don't cost money. If everyone stops purchasing copyrighted media content, and starts actually doing something with their lives, like helping the poor, caring for the sick, and performing the corporal and spiritual acts of mercy; the money-grubbing-scum, or was it: money-scrubbing-gum, will be trapped in the rubble of their collapsed empires, and judges and lawyers with them.

The underpinnings of corruption swiftly crumble when exposed to the light of Truth.