spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-01 12:08:30: As we recently noted, a new company by the name of the U.S. Copyright group is promising movie studios a new revenue stream. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

Hurt what?

?

Premium
join:2008-09-23
kudos:2

haha

i feel like downloading it 50 times now
i wont watch it cause too many people say it sucks bad ONES that aren't in habit of lying ,maybe thats the reason everyone that downloaded it started saying it sucks LOL

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1

The movie was actually pretty good.

gball
Master Yoda
Premium
join:2000-11-28
South Bend, IN

is this

a video game or something? direct to DVD movie?

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

A great feel bad film.

Check out this synopsis by IMDB. Here is a link to the plot summary:

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/plotsummary

Sounds like the kind of movie that you would not even want to watch once. Sounds rather depressing from the synopsis.

SixSpeed

join:2001-12-24
USA
reply to Riplin

Re: Hurt what?

How do they know who "down loaded" it? Unless they hosted it themselves for distribution, I'm not sure they can catch the D/L'ers, just the hosters.

Hurt Locker failed because nobody wanted to see it, not because of piracy. Plenty of movies still break records in the "piracy" age.

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN
reply to HoboJ

Re: haha

It was alright if you had no prior knowledge about anything having to do with war time situations.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to Riplin

The movie that won best picture at the Oscars?

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK
reply to Mr Matt

Re: A great feel bad film.

Very good movie IMO. Beat out Avatar for best Picture in case anyone forgot..

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by caco:

How often do cartoons actually win against real films?
--
Not prosecuting the Black Panthers for voter intimidation gives the go-ahead for unions to do the same.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

1 edit

Meh..

(Edited, because you people are unable to extrapolate. I have a feeling you all understood what I meant.)

All this director PRODUCER has really done is make the movie studios aware that he is a legal liability. If you were a large movie studio would you want to work with a director PRODUCER that you knew was going to tie you up in multiple lawsuits that usually do not turn out to make a profit from those that you sue?

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to caco

Avatar winning an Oscar would bring down the entire establishment - unless it was an Oscar for best 3D of the month or something.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to caco

said by caco:

Sci-fi films rarely win the Best Picture award.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Cape Cod, MA -- KJ7RL
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

The Oscars?
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

woody7
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA
reply to Karl Bode

box office results

»boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hurtlocker.htm

made back what it cost to produce
--
BlooMe

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to 33358088

said by 33358088:

i wont watch it cause too many people say it sucks bad ONES that aren't in habit of lying ,maybe thats the reason everyone that downloaded it started saying it sucks LOL
Maybe you need better friends.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to SixSpeed

said by SixSpeed:

How do they know who "down loaded" it? Unless they hosted it themselves for distribution, I'm not sure they can catch the D/L'ers, just the hosters.
Since this is BitTorrent we are talking about, EVERYONE who is downloading it is also hosting those parts ("pieces") of the file that they have already downloaded. Only once you have finished downloading the full file do you go into full Hosting (AKA Seeding) Mode.

As to how they can know who is downloading it, all that is needed is to connect to the BT Server and get a list of who is currently downloading and/or seeding it (ie: The Peers). By connecting to peers, you can get a list of what parts they already have. Requesting and receiving these pieces, you know that they are "hosting". Doing this with each peer (without sending back any pieces) you get your list.

Note: I am not saying that this is the actual method being used but only a theoretical way that it can be done.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to DataDoc

said by DataDoc:

How often do cartoons actually win against real films?
Donno. Ask the makers of Titanic or Lord of the Rings.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to 33358088

said by 33358088:

Say they & you get lucky and they find out who you are. You ignore the letter you get threatening a lawsuit. But sooner or later this group will have to actually drag someone in to court to maintain believability. Do you want to waste YOUR money being the one to fight back? For a movie you don't want to watch? There is a term for that - masochist. Unless you are VERY VERY rich and the money means nothing to you and is a drop in the bucket.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

PlanktonGosh

@verizon.net
reply to woody7

It didn't make back what it cost to produce. A movie has to gross approximately twice its production + advertising budget to break even. Whatever the film's merits, it is not yet profitable. Perhaps this legal blackmail will push HURT LOCKER into the black.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

3 recommendations

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by Karl Bode:

The Oscars?
You know, the muppet that lives in a garbage can?

woody7
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA
reply to PlanktonGosh

Sorry, I meant sales, it wasn't an overwhelming success on that front either. Actually they never break even according to their "accountants". That is why some actors take a small % of the gross instead of "profit" or lack there of .
--
BlooMe

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

if twc wins this kinda suemall will be over

if twc wins in court this mass lawsuit shit will be over all ips will say go to hell unless of course they are paid to give out the info. but the think of the pr when some isps is caught doing that

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Um, yeah

quote:
The whole point is to find out who these people are and to send them legal nastygrams, that come very close to your garden variety extortion letter -- telling people that they'll drop the lawsuit if they just pay $1,500. It comes across as a classic "protection racket." "Pay up and you won't get hurt."
So what's the difference between settling out of court and extortion then? Presuming that US Copyright Group is working on the behalf of the studio(s), they are the ones on the opposite side of the lawsuit, have the copyright on their side, and have the ability to file or not file the lawsuit. I don't see that much difference between this and say a district attorney telling a guy "Admit to the crime and you get 6 months probation. Don't and we go to trial, you may be looking at 5 years."

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

Evidence

Their evidence seems shady at best. I don't think anyone would be actually get sued over this. I hope it gets thrown out of court as a frivolous lawsuit.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to bluedyedvd

Re: if twc wins this kinda suemall will be over

said by bluedyedvd:

if twc wins in court this mass lawsuit shit will be over all ips will say go to hell unless of course they are paid to give out the info. but the think of the pr when some isps is caught doing that
Yeah but there only doing it because it is costly and time consuming. Anything to save money. Like they say money speaks Not surprised.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to AlexNYC

Re: Evidence

said by AlexNYC:

Their evidence seems shady at best. I don't think anyone would be actually get sued over this. I hope it gets thrown out of court as a frivolous lawsuit.
Yep but it sure will be quite interesting.

nonomoose

@ipredate.net

BOYCOTT this movie

Don't pay money to watch this movie. That's the least we can do to show we don't support these producers.

Go on Amazon and give this a 1-star review. Warn other people to avoid it.

MalibuMaxx
Premium
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

Re: Um, yeah

said by cdru See Profile
So what's the difference between settling out of court and extortion then? Presuming that US Copyright Group is working on the behalf of the studio(s), they are the ones on the opposite side of the lawsuit, have the copyright on their side, and have the ability to file or not file the lawsuit. I don't see that much difference between this and say a district attorney telling a guy "Admit to the crime and you get 6 months probation. Don't and we go to trial, you may be looking at 5 years."
And thats why innocent people land in jail...

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to caco

said by caco:

Beat out Avatar for best Picture in case anyone forgot..
That's not saying much.