spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-01 12:08:30: As we recently noted, a new company by the name of the U.S. Copyright group is promising movie studios a new revenue stream. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit
reply to SixSpeed

Re: Hurt what?

said by SixSpeed:

How do they know who "down loaded" it? Unless they hosted it themselves for distribution, I'm not sure they can catch the D/L'ers, just the hosters.

Hurt Locker failed because nobody wanted to see it, not because of piracy. Plenty of movies still break records in the "piracy" age.
I'm going to assume they send a letter to the person who owns the account that was using the IP address at the time they found it delivering their movie via a file sharing service.

Personally, I'd like to see a warning or two sent before going for damages. At the same time, even a movie like "The Hurt Locker" is entitled to copyright protection.

The other day a friend demonstrated a P2P client installed on his android phone, he said it was great he listed the song or movie he wanted and eventually it would arrive.

At some point copyright owners are entitled to enforce their property rights. Anyone who won't pay $.99 to download a song or $9 a month to subscribe to Netflix and legally get tons of content probably should be concerned about the potential for litigation.

Many people casually violate copyright without thinking about it. IMO that is as wrong as these vultures sending out threats to mostly hapless moms and dads of teens, or worse someone running a router with the SSID "linksys". I think the wireless standard should require wireless off on all routers, and a random password to be set on initial activation unless the user overrides.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

the movie sucks anyway

save the toilet paper lawsuit for something worth watching.

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal

1 edit
reply to Riplin

It won best picture at the Oscars, along with 5 other Oscars, which is funny because no one had ever heard of it, let alone seen it. I watched it after the Oscars, just to see what it was all about. It was okay. I give it 4/10.

SixSpeed

join:2001-12-24
USA

Their website is a disaster

Did anyone visit the US Copyright Corp's web site? Its a disaster, with broken and "go nowhere" links, errant characters in the sites text, non working anchor points and an overall quickly thrown together feel to it.

This is the organization that has all this technological savvy?

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Z80A

said by Z80A:

Avatar should have won best picture.
I feel asleep a couple of times in the theater.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to bluedyedvd

Re: if twc wins this kinda suemall will be over

ISPs should flat out refuse to give up information without a court order. that or IP requests due to copyright without a court order will require a $200,000 research fee.

and then the laws should be changed so that people cannot be sued in a courthouse that is not with in 1hr driving distance from their home. heck kick it up a notch, also make the court order have to be local to the ISP. even if its small WISP they would then have to goto the court local to that WISP.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Mr Matt

Re: A great feel bad film.

Avatar did what Movies are supposed to do, it entertained a whole lot of people. people goto films to be taken away to another world for a few hours.

Hurt Locker well it could have been done on the History Channel.

BTW, WALL-E should have won last year's best picture but was not even nominated even though it was far better then anything that was up to bat.

UP was Snubbed in the 2010 Oscars, i doubt anyone could claim HL was better then UP.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

skuv

@rr.com
reply to axiomatic

Re: Meh..

said by axiomatic:

All this director has really done is make the movie studios aware that he is a legal liability. If you were a large movie studio would you want to work with a director that you knew was going to tie you up in multiple lawsuits that usually do not turn out to make a profit from those that you sue?
The director DIRECTS the movie. The director doesn't produce or distribute the film.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to AlexNYC

Re: Evidence

said by AlexNYC:

Their evidence seems shady at best. I don't think anyone would be actually get sued over this. I hope it gets thrown out of court as a frivolous lawsuit.
It can only be thrown out of court if it makes it to court.

Their hope is that no one will hire a lawyer and will settle all of this out of court. And in every case, this will probably be done. Threaten someone with a $5000 lawsuit, and ask them to settle, and most people will be scared into it, especially if a lawyer tells them that their fee is at least $2500, and you can still lose and owe the $5000, plus your own legal fees, and probably the legal fees of who sued you.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to DrStrange

Re: greedy hacks

said by DrStrange:

It'd serve them right if one of their 'targets' with competent legal counsel filed a countersuit for harassment and malicious use of the civil court system and took them for a ton of money.
I really doubt that anyone that is getting sued here is able to afford a competent lawyer for this. Especially since there is a chance that you can go to court and lose and probably pay more than the settlement they will want to keep it out of court.

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

Looks like their 'evidence' would be flimsy at best. If someone hired a decent lawyer, the case would be thrown out before it came to trial. They're counting on none of their victims 'targets' having competent legal counsel.

It'd serve them right if one of their 'targets' with competent legal counsel filed a countersuit for harassment and malicious use of the civil court system and took them for a ton of money.
That 'target' better have deep pockets to pay for that 'competent' legal counsel. Most joe blows don't have them. Hence most will settle or just file bankruptcy.

Erick

@choopa.net
reply to nonomoose

Re: BOYCOTT this movie

hear hear. 102 1 star reviews so far, but we need more.

Premium
join:2008-09-23
reply to moonpuppy

Re: haha

said by moonpuppy:

said by 33358088:

i feel like downloading it 50 times now
i wont watch it cause too many people say it sucks bad ONES that aren't in habit of lying ,maybe thats the reason everyone that downloaded it started saying it sucks LOL
Maybe you need better friends.
na most a my friends dont sit around all day watching people hurt one another watching war films
there actually more intelligent and wish to expand there mind and learn , rather then watch some dribble about war.

"peace out"
^^^^^^^

Premium
join:2008-09-23
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by 33358088:

i feel like downloading it 50 times now
Say they & you get lucky and they find out who you are. You ignore the letter you get threatening a lawsuit. But sooner or later this group will have to actually drag someone in to court to maintain believability. Do you want to waste YOUR money being the one to fight back? For a movie you don't want to watch? There is a term for that - masochist. Unless you are VERY VERY rich and the money means nothing to you and is a drop in the bucket.
im in canada ust try suing me im insolvent and youd just waste your lawyer money

HAHA maybe you americans need a canadian friend or two to download off of

Firefly2003

join:2010-02-14
reply to PDXPLT

Re: Straight from the horse's mouth ...

said by PDXPLT:

From »www.copyrightsettlement.info/index-1.html (emphasis added in bold).

A WELCOME NOTE

The first Step to recovering money
Congratulations! By reviewing our site you have decided to take the first step down an efficient, no-hassle and no-cost path to recovering losses due to illegal downloading and stopping film piracy.

You are about to join fellow film industry leaders, producers and copyright owners in recovering reasonable cash settlements from the unlawful downloading of your copyrighted film.

With well over seventy combined years of legal and technical experience, the US Copyright Group will work for you at no cost. Industry experts estimate that during the first week of a major motion picture’s release on DVD, it is illegally downloaded more than 30,000 times. We are here to recover losses for copyright holders and to stop film piracy. We are here to SAVE CINEMA.

OUR COMPANY AT A GLANCE

Technology and Law working hand in hand
The US Copyright Group is a company owned by intellectual property lawyers that has one singular mission and focus: to stop movie copyright infringement and make illegal downloaders pay damages for the content they have stolen. From Washington D.C. to Los Angeles, technology companies and a conglomeration intellectual property law firms work hand-in-hand with each other to end unlawful downloading and illegal file-sharing of films.

Our unique partnerships allow us to monitor filing sharing, uploads and downloading. Then, we obtain the infringers' identities through ISP subpoenas, finally resulting in "cease & desist" letters with a demand for payment of damages being sent to the illegal downloaders on a massive scale. Research suggests that once a copyright infringer is forced to pay settlement damages far in excess of the actual cost of the stolen content, he will never steal copyrighted material again. Through these methods, the US Copyright Group has the ability to recover losses for our clients and stop film piracy on a massive scale.
This look like nothing but a dick move on the behalf of film industry, if only they would stop making garbage and produce a film that isnt a remake or reboot people would pay to see their films, torrents for me are a way of viewing a movie before I buy it , if I don't like it I delete it , same goes , for music , video games, and the such , and I do buy whats actual quality , why pay for something your not going to like or is going to be complete garbage?

The way they could curb this is to let people test out their products with trials of all the big 3 medias, music , movies, video games. a free one time , viewing, listen, and for video games a 3 day trial of the game so you can experience the game instead of just one level.

It would send a clear picture to these industries that the stuff they produce is rubbish when people get to see it for free and decide not to buy cause it was utterly bad.

gorehound

join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME
reply to AlexNYC

Re: Evidence

me too.sueing folks thousands of dollars for what you can buy for what twenty bucks ???
bye bye voltage pictures !!!
you won't be on my box.

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04

1 recommendation

Watched the film

I watched the film last night (legal copy from Netflix which took 2 months to get) and I can say that I wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't a bad film, but I don't think the 400 Oscars it won was deserved. I can name a half dozen war films off the top of my head that I think were much better.

The funny thing about this whole copyright fiasco is that the producers of "The Hurt Locker" stole the concept and the plot from an Iraq veteran (Michael Sarver) without compensating him a penny. Typical.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to RARPSL

said by RARPSL:

As to how they can know who is downloading it, all that is needed is to connect to the BT Server and get a list of who is currently downloading and/or seeding it (ie: The Peers).
That would be the "tracker", which has the list. I am not sure I'd classify it as a "BT Server". The only servers carrying the pieces of the file would be the peers.

But, yes, all an investigator needs do to find out who is "serving" in a torrent is connect to the tracker. The investigators' own BT clients will reveal the list of the IPs acting as file servers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

Greedy company!

The movie sucked anyway!

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Harddrive

Re: URL...

said by Harddrive:

Well someone already registered uscopyrightgroup.com, so I took uscopyrightgroup.net.

Anyone got any ideas for a website?
Not sure what the current legal stance is on cybersquatting, but can't they force him to sell that domain at a "reasonable" price to that group if they really want it? Or is he free to do whatever he pleases with it (at least for the duration of his lease), refuse to give it up or charge them whatever he feels like if they offer to buy it?
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

1 recommendation

That movie was awful.

guysome

@pdx.edu

Anyone know the name of the torrent(s) they monitored?

I'm nervous!

mr claw

@pdx.edu
reply to serpico1127

Re: No one is going to jail

If you operate a wireless network in your home or business, you are responsible for the traffic (e.g. neighbors, customers, etc.) that filters in and out of it.
*citation needed
Expand your moderator at work

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV
reply to guysome

Re: Anyone know the name of the torrent(s) they monitored?

said by guysome :

I'm nervous!
I wouldnt. I just use the letter to whipe my ass or use it as firewood.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....

join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

hah

i watched that movie years before anybody in hollywood even heard about it. back when it was a nothing run of the mill low budget production.

this is all a conspiracy. give it the oscar and make the stupid crew go out and recover money for the riaa while they burn their futures, like metallica

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

I have a crazy idea....

... buy the movie or don't watch it.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

You know

This has been going on for years,and i have never read once of a person who is "charged" with downloading something to go before a judge/jury and actually explain in real network language that a IP address doesn't mean crap for identification,there are 101 ways to forge obscure or whatever tricks are out there,can someone if they know please post where it says anywhere in any law that a IP address is proof of a individual identity without any reasonable doubt just curious.

kados
Hail Odin
Premium
join:2003-03-14
Watertown, SD

pirate the world, and burn it to dvd

another good reason to use your neighbor's open wireless for downloading..hahaha

seriously though, my isp does not hand over ip info, from what I understand. I've not met anyone on Midontinent internet that has gotten any sort of **AA letter. My dad is on mediacom and he's gotten a letter though, not for Hurt Locker, for "hotel for dogs"...hahaha...needless to say, I gave him crap for that one.
--
Bla Bla Bla

BackStJoe

join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

The Hurt Locker Producers Sue 5,000 P2P Users

The most amazing thing about reading forums and such is how many people justify theft.