Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-01 12:08:30: As we recently noted, a new company by the name of the U.S. Copyright group is promising movie studios a new revenue stream. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

1 recommendation

That movie was awful.

guysome

@pdx.edu

Anyone know the name of the torrent(s) they monitored?

I'm nervous!

mr claw

@pdx.edu
reply to serpico1127

Re: No one is going to jail

If you operate a wireless network in your home or business, you are responsible for the traffic (e.g. neighbors, customers, etc.) that filters in and out of it.
*citation needed
Expand your moderator at work

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV
reply to guysome

Re: Anyone know the name of the torrent(s) they monitored?

said by guysome :

I'm nervous!
I wouldnt. I just use the letter to whipe my ass or use it as firewood.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....

join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

hah

i watched that movie years before anybody in hollywood even heard about it. back when it was a nothing run of the mill low budget production.

this is all a conspiracy. give it the oscar and make the stupid crew go out and recover money for the riaa while they burn their futures, like metallica

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

I have a crazy idea....

... buy the movie or don't watch it.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
·Comcast

You know

This has been going on for years,and i have never read once of a person who is "charged" with downloading something to go before a judge/jury and actually explain in real network language that a IP address doesn't mean crap for identification,there are 101 ways to forge obscure or whatever tricks are out there,can someone if they know please post where it says anywhere in any law that a IP address is proof of a individual identity without any reasonable doubt just curious.

kados
Hail Odin
Premium
join:2003-03-14
Watertown, SD
kudos:1

pirate the world, and burn it to dvd

another good reason to use your neighbor's open wireless for downloading..hahaha

seriously though, my isp does not hand over ip info, from what I understand. I've not met anyone on Midontinent internet that has gotten any sort of **AA letter. My dad is on mediacom and he's gotten a letter though, not for Hurt Locker, for "hotel for dogs"...hahaha...needless to say, I gave him crap for that one.
--
Bla Bla Bla

BackStJoe

join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

The Hurt Locker Producers Sue 5,000 P2P Users

The most amazing thing about reading forums and such is how many people justify theft.

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to BackStJoe

Re: The Hurt Locker Producers Sue 5,000 P2P Users

said by BackStJoe:

The most amazing thing about reading forums and such is how many people justify theft.
you can't steal something UNLESS you deny the use of something to the owner, making a copy of something is NOT stealing! it's similar to seeing a nice car on the street, and making an exact copy of it, did you steal it? NO, you just made a copy of it, the owner can still have the use of his car whenever he wants. this is just a case of not paying the owners of a copyrighted work to make a copy, that's all. and to expand on this, if they get someone's IP address, that only points to an internet connection, they can't PROVE who did the copyright violation, it could be a member or friend, or even a neighbor that connected to their wireless connection! ALSO, how could they PROVE they have the files involved? they'd HAVE to inspect the computers hard drive for that!. though in a civil trial the preponderance of evidence wins, it has many less protections than in a criminal matter, but that's the reason why civil cases should be scrutinized much more than criminal cases, because the defendant has MUCH less protection!.

zipjay

join:2003-03-11
South Williamson, KY

everytime i hear the title of this movie...

i have something like this stuck in my head

see? its a "hurt" locker

crump500
Premium
join:2007-10-13
Crawfordsville, IN

Stealing is Stealing

I agree the legal process is ridiculous. Yet sharing stolen property is for idiots and those caught should pay the price.

zen1

@optonline.net
said by crump500:

I agree the legal process is ridiculous. Yet sharing stolen property is for idiots and those caught should pay the price.
this topic is NOT about stealing, stealing is when you deny the rightful owner the use of something they own, this is only about making copies of something, which is NOT stealing..

TweedleDum
10,000 Days

join:2005-11-02
Omaha, NE
reply to ArrayList

Re: haha

technically its not a war movie

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
said by TweedleDum:

technically its not a war movie
the way it was made it is indeed hard to say that it has anything to do with any kind of military conflict.
--
sbcglobal.net speedtest result 11/11/09 - 5256kbps
u-verse line stats: »c0wz.beevomit.org/

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to R4M0N

Re: Hurt what?

said by R4M0N:

Not entirely accurate... You can download without sharing. At least you could back in the day when I tried it... I haven't used Bit Torrent in a few years now.
That trusted legal test brokedown several years ago. A court ruled against defense saying piracy behaviors & techniques had become too widely known and understood. Result is case law exists.

It's mute anyway, IMO. Nobody's going to court without multiple confirmed infringement events over time. At that point courts won't care whether uploading occurred or not. Further, copyright holders hate court: bad PR and usually won't collect anything anyway. It's a no-brainer they run an ability-to-pay assessment the minute a name and phys address is in hand. They want settlements even if it's $20 plus a cease&desist/won't disclose terms statement.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to serpico1127

Re: No one is going to jail

said by serpico1127 :

If you operate a wireless network in your home or business, you are responsible for the traffic [...] Protect your networks!!
Completely ridiculous and against case law. You'd have to hold thousands of cafes, libraries and schools to the same standard and, regardless of coded law (if there is any) it simply will not happen.

Eschew paranoia.

WTF

@qwest.net

How awful...

...I'm referring to the writer, not what US Copyright Group is doing. Jesus, could you be more biased? How about this? Don't steal intellectual property and you won't be bothered by US Copyright Group? How is that "a classic protection racket"? That's like saying that murder laws are "classic protection rackets". "If you don't murder anybody, we won't send you to jail". F'ing grow up, douche, and pay for your entertainment and stop whining everytime somebody decides to stick up for their livelihood.

christof

@rr.com

hurt locker

nobody forces you to watch a movie. you can rent it on itunes, netflix, even on redbox for $1. if you steal it, it's thousands of people who will lose their jobs eventually because of piracy, blue collar people who make a living and try to feed their family, not just rich movie stars. and besides without these rich movie stars, financiers wouldn't hire hundreds of people to make a film. downloading is stealing.