dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-02 12:10:02: After years of hinting at looming wireless data pricing changes, AT&T has finally buckled to recommendations by stock jocks like Sanford Bernstein's Craig Moffett -- and killed their unlimited 3G iPhone pricing plan. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ... 11 · 12 · 13 · next

Michael C
join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

Michael C to Shrapnel64

to Shrapnel64

Re: Awesome!

You are definitely paying MORE for less. "Unlimited" was always BS. Their TOS defines anything over 5GB as "excessive use" subject to whatever penalties they want.

So essentially you'll pay $25+$10+$10+$10= $55 for the same 5 GB that costs your $30 now.
flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

flyingjoey

Is AT&T the FCK Crazy?

They have the worst voice quality, the shittiest 3g footprint, and if they didn't have the damned iphone they'd be at par with TMobile.

If they force existing customer to switch to a new data plan, they're automatically giving us a way out of the contract. I like the damned iphone and all that shit, but I'm sure I can do the same with an ipod touch if push came to shove.

I'm 5 days into my billing cycle, yesterday alone I downloaded 1.4gb worth of data. My my laptop tethered to the phone while streaming sling box.

I'm tired of letting AT&T ride me like a fool. FUCK 'EM. I'm working from home today, got the wifi off on the phone and have it streaming sling box just to get my money's worth.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

kamm to ptrowski

to ptrowski

Re: Haha, TMO must be dancing...

"Hardly" - iPhone is way behind of Android (reportedly selling above 100k per day) and updates and renewals are coming and people will switch, ATT makes them this decision very easy.

Better phones, the fastest data network in America and a LOT CHEAPER prices - this is what TMO can offer.

The only thing is that some rural pockets might never get fast data - but hey, 80-90% of the US lives in metropolitan areas, I cannot blame TMO for concentrating on them...
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to cableties

to cableties

Re: And one didn't see this coming? VZW, Sprint, Vodafon, next..

said by cableties:

Come on. You knew these greedy b-stards were gonna hook ya then sink ya.

First came the "Me Too!" with doubling the ETF contract penalties.
Before that, identical minute plans (doesn't anyone see the collusion with minute/SMS plans?) Just happens that most folks use 300 minutes, but they only offer 200 then 450 at next plan...

And unlimited data? Gotcha!

Let's see what Verizon does next? I bet you know...
Verizon will wait a bit and see what the backlash is with AT&T. If there is serious backlash, Verizon will not follow.

Sprint... they won't follow regardless. They are already using the great prices on unlimited plans as a way to lure customers. This will just give them more ammo to use against the big 2.

Not me
@141.191.20.x

Not me

Anon

AT&T sheeple...

...won't raise a fuss about this and will just happily go about their iPhoning way. It won't hit the fan until they get their first overage bill....

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to flyingjoey

Mod

to flyingjoey

Re: Is AT&T the FCK Crazy?

said by flyingjoey:

If they force existing customer to switch to a new data plan, they're automatically giving us a way out of the contract.
From what they're saying, existing customers won't have to switch plans, unless you want (approved) tethering. The changes are only for new customers.

BUT.. they have also said that once you switch from unlimited to one of their new plans, you can't go back. So tread lightly, those of you thinking of saving five bucks..

xxA4Hxx
@comcast.net

xxA4Hxx to flyingjoey

Anon

to flyingjoey
I sell att, going to have to start offering tmobile or sprint to people who use data the most.

-illusion
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo

Sprint welcomes with Open Arms

So yeah, paying a $10 premium to have 4G coverage is looking even more of a bargain. And considering that Sprint gets to roam off the Verizon network is even better. Is having a lil SIM card really worth it to stay on such a horrible network like AT&T?

Sure, if you're in a boonies, I can understand. But if you're in a metropolis, there is absolutely no reason to be on AT&T and not be on Sprint or even Verizon.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Bye Bye AT$T

enjoy screwing the customer!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Riddle me this.....

so what are they charging the $20 a month to tether for if the same 200mb/2GB caps with overage charges are still there?

Are they actually charging you $240 a year just to have that feature enabled regardless of whether or not it is being used?

Why isn't tethering simply enabled as it should be and they reap the financial benefits of getting to charge greater overages more often?

Michael C
join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

Michael C to jhllne

to jhllne

Re: nice deal for light users

Yeah...you just wait. Nice shiny new iPhone with a camera in front that allows for video conferencing. You may be using less than 200 MB now, but it's pretty much guaranteed that will go up over the years (unless you keep using the same Blackberry with the same apps). Do you think the caps will go up proportionately with average use? Don't bet on it.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Not me

Mod

to Not me

Re: AT&T sheeple...

At least they'll notify you when you start getting close, from »www.att.com/gen/press-ro ··· id=30854
Customer Text Notifications On Data Usage. When customers begin to approach their monthly usage limit, AT&T will send three text notifications – after they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of the threshold. Customers will also be sent emails if AT&T has their email address.
clickie8
join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

clickie8 to kamm

to kamm

The pricing affects ALL phones, not just the iPhone.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

Pluses and minuses

Pluses:

1) This is actually a price cut for most users. I have 2 iPhone users in my family plan and neither comes close to 2GB/month. One is typically a little over 200MB/month so she'll need the higher plan, the other is well under. They are both very active users and do email/Facebook/web browsing.

2) There's a soft overage charge for the first increment. So you may not have to buy a higher plan because you fear huge charges if you go over.

3) If you like your current plan keep it. You aren't being forced to change.

Minuses:

1) If you are a heavy 3G data user (lots of streaming video is the only use case I can come up with), you'll need to stay with the old unlimited plan, and you can't get iPhone tethering on the old plan.

2) iPhone tethering is apparently capped at 2GB or 3GB/month? (hard to believe... I have a Q in to Karl to clarify this)

3) If you believe caps in general are evil, you will believe this is evil.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Michael C

to Michael C

Re: Awesome!

said by Michael C:

You are definitely paying MORE for less. "Unlimited" was always BS. Their TOS defines anything over 5GB as "excessive use" subject to whatever penalties they want.
Smartphones were ALWAYS UNLIMITED.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to Michael C

Premium Member

to Michael C
said by Michael C:

This is simply untrue. Smartphone data plans were always unlimited. It was tethered plans or data card plans that had the 5GB limit. Also AT&T is now very clear about not calling a plan "unlimited" if it has a 5GB limit and has been for a while.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to betam4x

MVM

to betam4x

Re: Vote with your wallet people!

said by betam4x:

With Verizon's new Droid Incredible, there really is no reason to put up with AT&T's pricing. Even IF you use less than 2 GB/mo, you should still vote with your wallet and move to another carrier. If this plan fails and hurts AT&T's financials, other carriers will not adopt the same scheme.
I have to agree. I am glad I switched to Verizon.
clickie8
join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

clickie8

Other Carries Will Do This Too

There is not enough spectrum for unlimited 3G access. It's just not going to happen, there will never be enough space in the most usable bands to support everyone having unlimited access.

All the other carriers will be forced to do this in the future.
expert007
join:2006-01-10
Buffalo, NY

expert007

Thanks AT&T, You just made my job alot easier!

I'm in the process of evaluating vendors for a national rollout of broadband wireless to support our application via embedded Gobi chips, and AT&T *was* being considered. If the new plans are factual and not a belated April Fools joke, I can now cross one vendor off the list without a second thought.

I can't decide if they're silly or downright delusional.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to fiosuserny

Premium Member

to fiosuserny

Re: This is good news to me!

Same here. My wife and daughter are both heavy iPhone users, email/web browsing/facebook mostly. The highest data usage I've ever seen is just slightly over 200MB/month. This is going to save me money.

I think only those who do lots of streaming video on the iPhone are going to be hurt by this.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to glinc

to glinc

Re: LOL

said by glinc:

AT&T really love to hug their $$$ as much as they can instead of spending it in network.

Easiest fix to "improve" their network is to milk customers for more $$$ and impose caps.

I can't wait to see what VZW LTE tiered plans will be.
TMO already beats VZW's upcoming LTE speeds and has no overage fees and lower prices...
kamm

kamm to clickie8

to clickie8

said by clickie8:

The pricing affects ALL phones, not just the iPhone.
Right and that puts TMO even better position for switchers.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Not surprised and personally not unhappy.

I'm not surprised in the least, personally I'm on WiFi 90% of the time and one of the users somewhat resentful for having to pay $30 a month for the 150 - 300mb of data I use a month, I'll definitely be dropping the unlimited data and with some careful usage I could easily get by with the 200mb plan, times are tight and since I'm in contract for at least another year I'm not unhappy with this, though i have no interest in tethering, the tethering $45 to share $2GB between their iPhone and laptop is ridiculous.

I've done the math and switching to t-mobile or sprint would only save be $10 - $20 a month, on the $15 data plan that is now effectively no saving to go to t-mobile or sprint, I think AT&T might know what they are doing, they'll get more light users and offload their heavy users to t mobile or sprint. Even if when they lose exclusivity you may see this vastly improve their network performance and keep a large percentage of their light high profit users.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to expert007

Premium Member

to expert007

Re: Thanks AT&T, You just made my job alot easier!

If by "embedded Gobi chips" you mean netbooks that are enabled for 3G cellular data connections... this announcement doesn't change anything. This announcement is about smartphones.

PCs communicating over the AT&T network via cell data cards/chips are on the AT&T Data Connect plan, which is currently $60/month for 5GB of data. There's also a cheaper plan for less data but I forget what it is.

Why
@sbcglobal.net

Why

Anon

I really hate this new idea!

As much as I hate the idea of going to another carrier such as Verizon. This new data plan has really started making me think of leaving Verizon. However, if they follow each other, I may choose a company like Sprint. I don't see Apple being happy about this or Steve Jobs for that matter. I think this will only make Apple expand it's phone to other carrier much faster.
jhllne
join:2006-04-26
Madison, WI

jhllne to Michael C

to Michael C

said by Michael C:

Yeah...you just wait. Nice shiny new iPhone with a camera in front that allows for video conferencing. You may be using less than 200 MB now, but it's pretty much guaranteed that will go up over the years (unless you keep using the same Blackberry with the same apps). Do you think the caps will go up proportionately with average use? Don't bet on it.
What part of "do not need or want" unlimited data usage was not clear? I do not need or want to video conference with someone on my Blackberry. I do not need or want to watch streaming video on it. The only things I really want to be able to do on the phone are: check email and basic web surfing (e.g., being able to look up addresses on google maps, get sports scores, pull up some nagios/cricket graphs from work, etc.). Streaming online radio would be cool, but it's a nice to have not something I need to pay $15/month more to have.

Like I said, I understand this is a bad deal for those of you that are heavy bandwidth users and want to be able to do stuff like videoconference on your iPhone. Going from a 5 GB cap to a 2 GB cap for $5 less doesn't sound like a good deal to me, either. But for those of us who can easily keep their usage under 200 MB/month, there is some good news here even if Karl and those of you who think that $30/month should just automagically by you unlimited bandwidth do not care to admit it.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to glinc

Premium Member

to glinc

Re: How long before Verizon follows?

I think what Verizon does will partially come from how much fallout AT&T has with this plan.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: And one didn't see this coming? VZW, Sprint, Vodafon, next..

I don't know if I think other companies will necessarily follow suit. They will see that customers don't like this and may just take the opposite route, stay with unlimited data/possibly lower data plan rates, and ultimately gain customers from AT&T.
FredIsDead
join:2010-02-24
San Antonio, TX

FredIsDead

The interesting part

"And just 3% of AT&T's smartphone customers account for as much as 40% of its data traffic,"

They really want these people to go to some other provider, leaving more capacity for the rest of us.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to jhllne

Premium Member

to jhllne

Also don't forget the wifi option. You can do all the video conferencing and video streaming you want as long as there's a wifi hotspot nearby.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ... 11 · 12 · 13 · next