dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-02 12:10:02: After years of hinting at looming wireless data pricing changes, AT&T has finally buckled to recommendations by stock jocks like Sanford Bernstein's Craig Moffett -- and killed their unlimited 3G iPhone pricing plan. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · next
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to Couch Potato

to Couch Potato

Re: Only people really affected are video streamers

said by Couch Potato:

I do know that stealing services is against the law and if you're not paying for tethering and you are tethering, then you're stealing services. I learned from working for a cable company many years ago that stealing services is a federal crime and is punishable by up to 5 years in prison AND up to a $250,000 fine.
Yes, company supporters are quick with the "stealing of services" line. How about the fraud when services paid for are not delivered or underdelivered consistently ? Oh, that must be that little "up to" loophole.
decades
join:2005-01-17
San Francisco, CA

decades to Trollhawk

to Trollhawk

Re: Good and bad

why did it take so long to crack down on the data abusers?
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: I just checked my data usage for the last 10 months

said by 88615298:

not a savings if you wish to tether your laptop.
I'm running Android 2.2 on my Nexus One, that operating system has a built in wifi access point function. It works great, and AT&T has no idea I am tethering.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Do you trust AT&T's numbers that 98% use less than 2GB?

said by MyDogHsFleas:

AT&T stated that these plan changes are revenue neutral. As you observe, if usage stays the same, revenues will go down. Therefore, AT&T must be planning that more users will sign up for smartphones and smartphone plans, due to the lowered prices, therefore they will make up the revenue shortfall.

Hey, lower prices and get more customers. That must be capitalism at work!
And it's a great thing! I just don't believe their numbers, at least what I have read here. As for your theory, they would have gotten more users anyway - why would the trend not have continued. I think this will be a double whammy - more customers signing up for smartphones (regardless of the price cut), and more overage revenue. They may claim that only 2% are using more than 2GB, but since the trend on usage has been upward, there is no reason to believe that the 2% won't increase.
decades
join:2005-01-17
San Francisco, CA

decades to thender

to thender

Re: A way out of your contract!

not only do data hogs want to get away with robbery, now they want out of their contracts by claiming the terms have changed when they have not. Why not play by the rules that 98% of us play by?
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to Couch Potato

to Couch Potato

said by Couch Potato:

Isn't breach of contract against the law?
Not when companies do it. Then it is just a "misunderstanding", somebody "misspoke" or, if plain guilty, no one is punished since you cannot "arrest a company".

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

verizon get ready for flood of new customers

Verizon better get ready for a flood of new customers wanting to get the droid. People won't want to get an iphone or ipad if they can't video conference or listen to internet music on it.
They will go to verizon for the droid instead. Now I am glad I didn't stay with att and instead went with verizon.
tjb122982
join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

said by mikedz4:

Verizon better get ready for a flood of new customers wanting to get the droid. People won't want to get an iphone or ipad if they can't video conference or listen to internet music on it.
They will go to verizon for the droid instead. Now I am glad I didn't stay with att and instead went with verizon.
Who is to say that Verizon won't come out with this kind of plan in six months-a year time? I don't trust either of Ma Bell boys.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to AzzKicker

to AzzKicker

said by AzzKicker:

Ya and when that time comes they will adjust. But for now thats how it stands.
Oh so in 2015 they'll have 2010 pricing like how in 2010 they have 2005 pricing. At which point does at&t actually catch-up to modern times?

88615298 (banned) to 93388818

to 93388818

said by 93388818:

said by 88615298:

I'm running Android 2.2 on my Nexus One, that operating system has a built in wifi access point function. It works great, and AT&T has no idea I am tethering.
that's wi-fi. How about people that live in areas that have no wi-fi or any other internet where tethering is the ONLY option?

88615298 (banned) to aztecnology

to aztecnology

said by aztecnology:

said by 88615298:

if there next work is that shitty that they can't handle people using 2 GB a month perhaps at&t should get out of the mobile busniess and let COMPETANT companies take over.
Where are these competent companies, and why aren't they in the business now making billions...?
because shareholder are greedy morons that don't think LONG term. If Verizon shareholders had their way FiOS would still be in the planning stages. sometimes you need to tell the shareholder to STFU or sell their stock because they are stupid. I mean do you want your company around in 5 years for 50 years?

88615298 (banned) to decades

to decades
said by decades:

Oh no downloading ONE movie from Amazon.com is "abuse".
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by AzzKicker:

Oh so in 2015 they'll have 2010 pricing like how in 2010 they have 2005 pricing. At which point does at&t actually catch-up to modern times?
I keep seeing you say this over and over again. My challenge is: show me the US carrier who is pricing their data at 1/10 AT&T's rate, as you assert AT&T should be to have "2010 pricing". If you can't (and I know you can't), then your "modern times pricing" is just in your head and has no relationship to reality.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: If they bumped it up to 5 GB instead of 2GB...

said by MyDogHsFleas:

I think the bottom line here is that watching streaming video on your large screen device (laptop/iPad) over 3G is just not something AT&T is going to subsidize any more with unlimited data plans. They want their network to be available for other use cases. If you want streaming video, do it over wifi, is the message.
Not everyone has wi-fi Einstien. And no one said a thing about subsidzing anything. If my cable comapny can provide me with 250 GB a month for $55 then At&t can do 1/10 that don't you think? And $1 per GB is MORE than enough to pay for upgrades AND make a profit.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas
said by MyDogHsFleas:

I think the bottom line here is that watching streaming video on your large screen device (laptop/iPad) over 3G is just not something AT&T is going to subsidize any more with unlimited data plans. They want their network to be available for other use cases. If you want streaming video, do it over wifi, is the message.
The cost of bandwidth is quite small, even over wireless. The greatest cost of any network has always been the initial layout of the network. AT&T's $10/GB is insanely overpriced given what carriers charge in Europe.
sonicmerlin

to MyDogHsFleas

said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by 88615298:

said by AzzKicker:

I keep seeing you say this over and over again. My challenge is: show me the US carrier who is pricing their data at 1/10 AT&T's rate, as you assert AT&T should be to have "2010 pricing". If you can't (and I know you can't), then your "modern times pricing" is just in your head and has no relationship to reality.
Asking to compare US carriers to AT&T is asinine, given the uncompetitive nature of the wireless American market. Yet even within the US market one can look at Sprint, T-Mobile, or even Verizon to see that unlimited is quite viable.

If such a small % of users are downloading so much data, the effect on the network should be minimal. It's not the amount you download that counts- it's the rate at which you download. And since *that* is essentially capped by available spectrum, the whole tier-based system is one giant deception.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to decades

to decades

said by decades:

Define "data abuser". Keep in mind the European definition will be quite different than yours or AT&T's.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to 93388818

to 93388818

said by 93388818:

and with the exception of December 2009, all of my usage was under 500 MB. Same with my wife, except hers, on her iPhone 3G was all under 400 MB.

To me, this plan is going to save me $10 a month.
That's paltry, and you'll likely end up paying it all back and more in that one month you or your wife accidentally conduct some heavy usage.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

1 edit

Retired6 to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat

Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts.

Starting Monday, new customers will have to choose one of two new data plans for all smart phones, including iPhones and BlackBerrys.

»www.vcstar.com/news/2010 ··· can-eat/

=============================

Sounds good to me - since we already have multiple iPhones in our family plan that will remain with the "unlimited" usage.

And honestly, we don't use more that 2GB's on each phone anyway.....so it really doesn't matter if at&t cuts us back later on.

Thats if they ever decide to do it.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender to decades

Premium Member

to decades

Re: A way out of your contract!

What a little sanctimonious tard filled with righteous indignation you are!

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to Retired6

to Retired6

said by Retired6:

Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts.

Starting Monday, new customers will have to choose one of two new data plans for all smart phones, including iPhones and BlackBerrys.

Sounds good to me - since we already have multiple iPhones in our family plan that will remain with the "unlimited" usage.

And honestly, we don't use more that 2GB's on each phone anyway.....so it really doesn't matter if at&t cuts us back later on.

If that's the case, are you going to change your contract so that you get the cheaper new rate? Why not, you will save money?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Once again, competition prevails

said by MyDogHsFleas:

The UK is a much smaller, denser country than the USA. There's much less capital expenditure required to cover the populated areas with 3G.
Why are you such a lying, sniveling corporate apologist? This meme has been used and debunked over and over again.

AT&T doesn't blanket the entire US land area with 3G. The vast majority of people in the US live in extremely dense urban and suburban areas, which happen to be where AT&T mostly provides its service.

Furthermore wireless services in Sweden are much cheaper, faster, and higher quality than in the US, yet they are even more spread out than we are.

Your excuses are just plain wrong.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to Trollhawk

to Trollhawk

Re: Pricing breakdown: most customers will actually save money

said by Trollhawk:

"And as the future advances", who's to say AT&T can't adjust their pricing plans? What's with people saying, "2GB won't be enough, forever!"? People act like this plan is set in stone for the rest of their lives.
They just went from "unlimited" to 2 GB. What the devil are you talking about?

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat

said by amarryat:

said by Retired6:

If that's the case, are you going to change your contract so that you get the cheaper new rate? Why not, you will save money?
If i changed my contract on all 5 phones on our family plan....i'd save $25 total (oh whoopie doo!).

$5.00 off each phone, big deal. I'd prefer to just keep the "unlimited" data plans that we currently have....just in case..:+)

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Pricing breakdown: most customers will actually save money

I will be staying with the $30 Unlimited iPhone plan for as long as I can.

My May usage was 655MB, but my "billing period" is not up till June 11th. I have already used 255MB in June. Looking at my usage trends over the past 6 months, it's clear that if the trend continues to rise at the current rate, I will reach 2GB+ in 4-5 months or so.

That $25 Pro rate wouldn't cover my usage, and the $30.00 unlimited would.

Sorry AT&T. Granny here will not take the bait!

Bob

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:
said by aztecnology:
said by 88615298:

if there next work is that shitty that they can't handle people using 2 GB a month perhaps at&t should get out of the mobile busniess and let COMPETANT companies take over.
Where are these competent companies, and why aren't they in the business now making billions...?
because shareholder are greedy morons that don't think LONG term. If Verizon shareholders had their way FiOS would still be in the planning stages. sometimes you need to tell the shareholder to STFU or sell their stock because they are stupid. I mean do you want your company around in 5 years for 50 years?
Non-sequitur...

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm to sonicmerlin

MVM

to sonicmerlin

The way I see it is 500megs for $10, 2 gigs for $20 and $30 for unlimited.

It amazes me AT&T's logic because the new iPhone has a front facing camera for video calls. Hmm how much bandwidth is that going to take up??

I think I averaged 400 to 1 gig a month when I had my iPhone. It all came down to if I was traveling. If I was at home or the office I was using wifi. If I was on the road no wifi really. Have the time the 3G was better then what the hotel offered.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by 93388818:

said by 88615298:

that's wi-fi. How about people that live in areas that have no wi-fi or any other internet where tethering is the ONLY option?
no, you misunderstood me. My phone has the ability to act as a WIFI router for my laptop. All the laptop data is sent over the 3G network.

I didn't mean I was using WIFI to connect my phone to my home internet connection.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 edits

IPPlanMan

File an FTC Complaint for AT&T changing the terms

»www.FTCComplaintAssistan ··· ?Lang=en

The FTC needs to hear about this... The complaint wizard is pretty simple.

We were led to believe that there would be an unlimited data plan for the iPad, which people started receiving one month ago.

This is absurd.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to WernerSchutz

to WernerSchutz

Thats why internet radio is so great, youll eventually find a internet radio station that meets your taste. DI is a pretty good collection of generes, i listen to DI myself.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · next