dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-02 12:10:02: After years of hinting at looming wireless data pricing changes, AT&T has finally buckled to recommendations by stock jocks like Sanford Bernstein's Craig Moffett -- and killed their unlimited 3G iPhone pricing plan. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

starcaptor
join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

1 edit

3 recommendations

starcaptor

wow

I almost never comment on DSLR front page news (lurker), but this is ridiculous to a new level. I am surprised no one has made a meme out of ATT/iPhone news...

$45 to tether using an iphone with 2 gigs of usage...just say that to yourself inside your head a few times... No need to editorialize. The news itself is hyperbole.

And I dont understand "98% of blah blah dont do this" statistic...its not properly controlled, and you never know if 98% of people dont do something SPECIFICALLY because of fear of repercussions.

And if you dont buy that one, think of a life insurance company using the same logic behind why they should lower benefits..."98% of people dont die before this age, so whats the point in giving them any benefits..."
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Re: wow

I left AT&T about a year ago for the Sprint everything data plan, and never really looked back ... until today ... I'm glad to have moved.

5 everything data palm pre's, 2 are tetherable, monthly cost with all taxes, fees and including Sprint locater service $165. Data is unlimited.

siouxmoux2
@sbcglobal.net

siouxmoux2 to starcaptor

Anon

to starcaptor
Yet, Everyday ATT finds new reasons for you to Switch Providers from The Worst US Cell/Data/Sms Carriers.

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

1 edit

Shrapnel64

Premium Member

Awesome!

Goodbye, AT&T. I'm sure other wireless companies are soon to follow!

Seems like we're paying MORE for even less now.

From AT&T's press article (link above in the article):

Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

Seems to me like OS 3 didn't support Tethering, and it's all of Apple's fault now...Haha.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Re: Awesome!

said by Shrapnel64:

Seems to me like OS 3 didn't support Tethering, and it's all of Apple's fault now...Haha.
OS 3 does support tethering since tethering works in other countries on the iPhone. My guess is that AT&T wanted more control over tethering or something and had Apple add something to it in OS 4. If not, then I have no idea why AT&T is requiring OS 4.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by Morac:

OS 3 does support tethering since tethering works in other countries on the iPhone. My guess is that AT&T wanted more control over tethering or something and had Apple add something to it in OS 4. If not, then I have no idea why AT&T is requiring OS 4.
I think they reworked how tethering gets turned on on OS 4.

I messed around with Beta 4 of OS 4 for a few days before reverting back to 3.1.3 for the time being, and when you try to turn Tethering on under it, it looks like it tries to contact the carrier and verify something. After a minute or so it tells you that you need to call AT&T or log into your account online to enable Tethering. Not sure if it will stay that way for the final version of OS 4, but my guess would be that it will.

AFAIK, in OS 3 all you needed was a file with carrier settings, once applied you had to reboot the phone and your Tethering was turned on. In 3.1.3 they started requiring that the file be digitally signed, effectively killing your capability to generate the file yourself and send it to the iPhone. You could have still gone the jailbreaking route and gotten it to work though.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Shrapnel64

Premium Member

to Shrapnel64
Other countries had tethering with iPhone OS 3. AT&T just didn't enable it. There were even hacks to enable tethering on AT&T in the US using Apple's built-in tethering system.

Michael C
join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

Michael C to Shrapnel64

to Shrapnel64
You are definitely paying MORE for less. "Unlimited" was always BS. Their TOS defines anything over 5GB as "excessive use" subject to whatever penalties they want.

So essentially you'll pay $25+$10+$10+$10= $55 for the same 5 GB that costs your $30 now.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by Michael C:

You are definitely paying MORE for less. "Unlimited" was always BS. Their TOS defines anything over 5GB as "excessive use" subject to whatever penalties they want.
Smartphones were ALWAYS UNLIMITED.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to Michael C

Premium Member

to Michael C
said by Michael C:

This is simply untrue. Smartphone data plans were always unlimited. It was tethered plans or data card plans that had the 5GB limit. Also AT&T is now very clear about not calling a plan "unlimited" if it has a 5GB limit and has been for a while.
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt

Premium Member

So does the $5 plan cost reduction also include a $7 "3g data tracking fee" so your actual net cost is more? You know ATT isn't going to give you something for nothing. Sure there is a fee on there but the advertised price is lower. That's what counts!!!!!
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by cahiatt:

So does the $5 plan cost reduction also include a $7 "3g data tracking fee" so your actual net cost is more? You know ATT isn't going to give you something for nothing. Sure there is a fee on there but the advertised price is lower. That's what counts!!!!!
ummm... what the hell are you talking about? What "data tracking fee" ???
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt

Premium Member

said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by cahiatt:

That's the new fee they'll come up with as a convenience charge for tracking your data usage and to make up for dropping the data plan price by $5.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by cahiatt:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by cahiatt:

That's the new fee they'll come up with as a convenience charge for tracking your data usage and to make up for dropping the data plan price by $5.
Oh I see you're not being serious. My mistake for assuming this was a real discussion.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Actually it can be a real discussion. AT&T provides an iPhone app that provides monthly talk usage, text message count and data bytes. Today it's a free app and there's no charge to login to your wireless on-line account with the app and retrieve your current usage. The article also said they would send you a text message when you get close to your cap.

Here's what I don't understand -- the article on MSNBC said they expect this to have no effect on revenue. How can that be? 98% of their customers will see AT LEAST a $5 decrease on their monthly bill. Those that go over will be charged $10/GB extra. This means they expect those that go over to make up for everyone else paying $5/month less? There must be some ridiculous data hogs on AT&T's network.

Furthermore, are we to believe that 2% of the smart phone customers are causing all the congestion? 98% won't hit the cap and won't watch their usage any closer than they do today. How does this help congestion in big cities?

This is hogwash and it sounds like clowns are running the show at AT&T. Of course that's no different than the rest of the clowns that run corporate America. Anyone who thinks a typical CEO is any smarter than Fred down the street is mistaken. Usually they have one really good skill ... they have a great poker face because ethics are optional.

Attention, Attention... everyone who trusts the BP CEO, raise their hand! Thought so...
k1ll3rdr4g0n
join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n to Michael C

to Michael C
said by Michael C:

So essentially you'll pay $25+$10+$10+$10= $55 for the same 5 GB that costs your $30 now.
AT&T advertised the smartphone service as unlimited. Nothing in the TOS will change that. That is like going to a buffet, and after the second plate they want you to pay again. "All you can eat" is "All you can eat"; there is no "we decide how much you can eat". Otherwise the terms MUST BE clearly put somewhere. I went to a sushi buffet and at the top of the ordering card it CLEARLY STATES IN PLAIN ENGLISH "whatever you don't eat you buy". Just because you bury leaglise in a TOS doesn't actually mean it can be upheld in court.

Even Apple proved that TOS are just wash when they released their iTunes for Windows with the TOS saying that Apple software can't be installed on a PC. Oops. They have since "corrected" the TOS, but still TOS are really just a way for the company to scare the customer into bending to their will. Unless you go insane on their network (bittorrent 24/7), most likely the carrier will just cut your service. Or attempt to charge you an amount you don't have or could possibly pay out.

Think about how much it would cost to drag you to court which then they would have to prove you actually violated the unlimited data plan...err I mean TOS...err I mean...you see where it falls apart quickly?

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to Shrapnel64

Premium Member

to Shrapnel64
2GB's should be good enough for us.

boat_anchor
@popsite.net

boat_anchor

Anon

you must live in the past!

Retired6
Premium Member
Earth

Retired6

Premium Member

said by boat_anchor :

you must live in the past!
I don't spend my life on my iPhone..:+)
voip_user0
join:2006-06-14
Middletown, CT

voip_user0 to Retired6

to Retired6
said by Retired6:

+1

gball
Master Yoda
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
South Bend, IN

gball to Retired6

Premium Member

to Retired6
said by Retired6:

Who is 'us' exactly? or are you just speaking for everyone?

Retired6
Premium Member
Earth

Retired6

Premium Member

said by gball:

said by Retired6:

Who is 'us' exactly? or are you just speaking for everyone?
_Us_, as the 5 in my family.

2GB is plenty for each of our iPhones..:+)
o2cool8
join:2002-04-19
Cary, NC

o2cool8

Fail!

I might never reach 2GB currently on my phone, I still think its ridiculous and even worse that they are changing the plan for the ipad. Makes me glad I stay away from ATT and Apple.
glinc
join:2009-04-07
New York, NY

1 edit

glinc

LOL

AT&T really love to hug their $$$ as much as they can instead of spending it in network.

Easiest fix to "improve" their network is to milk customers for more $$$ and impose caps.

I can't wait to see what VZW LTE tiered plans will be.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: LOL

AT&T isn't bringing LTE for a few years, so you'll be waiting for a while.
glinc
join:2009-04-07
New York, NY

glinc

My bad, I meant VZW LTE tiered plans

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to glinc

to glinc
said by glinc:

AT&T really love to hug their $$$ as much as they can instead of spending it in network.

Easiest fix to "improve" their network is to milk customers for more $$$ and impose caps.

I can't wait to see what VZW LTE tiered plans will be.
TMO already beats VZW's upcoming LTE speeds and has no overage fees and lower prices...

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian

Premium Member

said by kamm:

TMO already beats VZW's upcoming LTE speeds and has no overage fees and lower prices...
...and no network.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

Their "no network" is larger than Clear's and Verizon's LTE.

So there's that.

kamm
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to brian

to brian
said by brian:
said by kamm:

...and no network.
Ehh? You mean the nationwide 3G w/ HS(D)PA plus HSPA+ already on the Northeast?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

It's only nationwide in dense metro areas, otherwise you're probably roaming...where I'd be surprise to see any of that great throughput.

••••••••

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to glinc

Premium Member

to glinc
1st steps in bill by byte have been taken.

The new plans get your foot in the door cheaper. But if you are a heavy user it will cost you more in the end than the old plans did.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

I guess I was a little off...

I expected the $30 plan to continue with a $30 for 5 GB tether option. Seems as thought AT&T has secured exclusivity for the next iPhone (at least for the near-term) and it's going to charge appropriately for the luxury.

•••••••••••••
caco
Premium Member
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

caco

Premium Member

How long before Verizon follows?

That is my concern. These guys work in tandem so I imagine an announcement from Verizon will be upcoming in next couple of week. Hopefully Sprint and Tmobile hold the line on prices.

•••

Bassistguy
Alrighty Then
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
Ballwin, MO

Bassistguy

Premium Member

Skype?

I'm not sure what phones Skype is available on, but I'd almost guarantee that's their reasoning for ditching the unlimited plan. You completely bypass your available minutes and use Skype on the unlimited data plan, essentially getting unlimited calls.

•••••
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x

Vote with your wallet people!

With Verizon's new Droid Incredible, there really is no reason to put up with AT&T's pricing. Even IF you use less than 2 GB/mo, you should still vote with your wallet and move to another carrier. If this plan fails and hurts AT&T's financials, other carriers will not adopt the same scheme.

••••••••••

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

iPhone users watch out!

They claim 2GB is enough for 98% of their users. But don't iPhone users consume more than anyone else? I have an Android phone, don't use much data (actively), and use wifi most of the time for the data that I do use - and halfway thru my cycle, I have used over 225mb of data.

Yikes you guys are going to get screwed.

••••••••••••••••

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Only people really affected are video streamers

I use my iPhone heavily and have yet to exceed 1 GB a month. Normally I'm around 500 MB or less. I don't do a lot of video streaming over 3G. The one month I nearly exceeded 1 GB was when I spent a lot of time using the Sling app.

So the 2 GB cap isn't that big a deal for me and I'll end up paying $5 less (well less than $5 technically since I'm on a discounted plan).

Tethering is good, but the announcement doesn't mention whether or not you get extra GB for the $20 a month. My guess is that for $45 a month you have 2 GB shared between tether and the phone itself. I don't understand why it costs $20 more a month. What's the difference between downloading 2 GB on the phone itself or on a PC connected to the phone?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

kamm
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

kamm

Haha, TMO must be dancing...

...because these idiots are clearly digging their own grave: new iPhone will barely catch up with current Android OS and phones, ATT's network is still the shittiest network of America and price gouging is so ridiculous now that it will drive people away en masse, likely to TMO and its new, crazy-fast yet overage-free HSPA+ network: »[T-Mobile] Impressive 3G results

••••••••••••••••••

fiosuserny
@verizon.net

fiosuserny

Anon

This is good news to me!

I figure there will be plenty of outcry against this change on the BBR forums but for me the change is good news.

My wife is addicted to her iPhone so I've been stuck with paying $30/mo for data plus more for texting. I just reviewed our last 12 bills. My better half's highest monthly data usage was 114 MB. Many months she was under half that much.

The DataPlus plan will yield a definite cost savings for us. And the fact is that I've resisted having a data plan myself because the cost exceeded my threshold of pain. With the new data plan my wife and I can both have data enough for casual use for the same price we've been paying just to feed her iPhone.

So for you high use junkies...yeah, this won't work. But I'm betting for a lot of at&t subscribers it will be an improvement.

••••••••

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

And one didn't see this coming? VZW, Sprint, Vodafon, next..

Come on. You knew these greedy b-stards were gonna hook ya then sink ya.

First came the "Me Too!" with doubling the ETF contract penalties.
Before that, identical minute plans (doesn't anyone see the collusion with minute/SMS plans?) Just happens that most folks use 300 minutes, but they only offer 200 then 450 at next plan...

And unlimited data? Gotcha!

Let's see what Verizon does next? I bet you know...

•••••••••••••

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A

Premium Member

Change should save me about $50-$60/mo

By dumping laptop connect ($60) and getting tethering ($20) I'll save quite a bit, even with the $10/GB overage fee since my combined usage is about 3GB/mo. And my other iPhone only uses about 100MB/mo so I'll save there too with base data costs going from $60 to $40.

Laptop connect was already capped at 5GB with big overage penalties so I'm not missing anything. It would take 8GB of data usage to get back to the price I'm currently paying which isn't going to happen with wifi at work and at home.

••••
jhllne
join:2006-04-26
Madison, WI

jhllne

nice deal for light users

I realize it's not a great deal for heavy users, but it's nice to finally see a discount for those of us that do not need or want an "unlimited" data plan. This would save me $30/month if VZW matches. My wife and I both have Blackberries on VZW, and between the two of us, we've only cracked 200 MB once in the past year.

I for one am excited about the prospect of a low-end data plan. I do agree, though, that the pricing for tethering sounds ridiculous, esp. with no corresponding bump in the cap.

••••
flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

flyingjoey

Is AT&T the FCK Crazy?

They have the worst voice quality, the shittiest 3g footprint, and if they didn't have the damned iphone they'd be at par with TMobile.

If they force existing customer to switch to a new data plan, they're automatically giving us a way out of the contract. I like the damned iphone and all that shit, but I'm sure I can do the same with an ipod touch if push came to shove.

I'm 5 days into my billing cycle, yesterday alone I downloaded 1.4gb worth of data. My my laptop tethered to the phone while streaming sling box.

I'm tired of letting AT&T ride me like a fool. FUCK 'EM. I'm working from home today, got the wifi off on the phone and have it streaming sling box just to get my money's worth.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

Re: Is AT&T the FCK Crazy?

said by flyingjoey:

If they force existing customer to switch to a new data plan, they're automatically giving us a way out of the contract.
From what they're saying, existing customers won't have to switch plans, unless you want (approved) tethering. The changes are only for new customers.

BUT.. they have also said that once you switch from unlimited to one of their new plans, you can't go back. So tread lightly, those of you thinking of saving five bucks..

xxA4Hxx
@comcast.net

xxA4Hxx to flyingjoey

Anon

to flyingjoey
I sell att, going to have to start offering tmobile or sprint to people who use data the most.

-illusion

Not me
@141.191.20.x

Not me

Anon

AT&T sheeple...

...won't raise a fuss about this and will just happily go about their iPhoning way. It won't hit the fan until they get their first overage bill....

••••
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo

Sprint welcomes with Open Arms

So yeah, paying a $10 premium to have 4G coverage is looking even more of a bargain. And considering that Sprint gets to roam off the Verizon network is even better. Is having a lil SIM card really worth it to stay on such a horrible network like AT&T?

Sure, if you're in a boonies, I can understand. But if you're in a metropolis, there is absolutely no reason to be on AT&T and not be on Sprint or even Verizon.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Re: Sprint welcomes with Open Arms

said by bnceo:

But if you're in a metropolis, there is absolutely no reason to be on AT&T and not be on Sprint or even Verizon.
When the elevator doors close on a 1900mhz carrier, the door closes on your phone call.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Bye Bye AT$T

enjoy screwing the customer!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Riddle me this.....

so what are they charging the $20 a month to tether for if the same 200mb/2GB caps with overage charges are still there?

Are they actually charging you $240 a year just to have that feature enabled regardless of whether or not it is being used?

Why isn't tethering simply enabled as it should be and they reap the financial benefits of getting to charge greater overages more often?

•••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next