dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-14 09:41:30: Bresnan Communications (see our user reviews) received a significant amount of interest from a number of large companies during recent bidding for the carrier, including Cablevision, Charter Communications and Suddenlink. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Competition

Is a good thing. Perhaps CV will shake things up in that market and stimulate some good services for the consumers.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

Bresnan was a smart business man

Interesting. I wouldn't have expected cablevision to buy such a remote market with such geographically spread out and unclustered systems.

They're a smart company they must have their reasons!

On another topic, this is further proof that Bill Bresnan was a smart business man. He turned a profit on the sale and probably made a profit most of the years he owned those systems.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Comcast owns 30% of Bresnan

Much of what Cablevision will be buying was actually owned by Comcast and spun off to Bresnan because the local properties weren't contiguous to the main Comcast plant. As part of that deal, Comcast maintained a 30% ownership in Bresnan. »www.cedmagazine.com/comc ··· ems.aspx

Funny how things go. Comcast dumps the systems and now Cablevision is buying them. Doesn't make sense to me that Cablevision is buying local systems so far flung from their main cable plant. Sounds like a major fail situation to me.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to NY Tel

Premium Member

to NY Tel

Re: Competition

Someone Please buy Mediacom and give us great customer service and expand next-gen internet for the people of Iowa
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Comcast owns 30% of Bresnan

they have something up their sleeves other wise they would not never made the deal. Maybe they have some plans to become a nationwide provider after all? And this is just the first steps of becoming one.

I wonder which cable company will be next? Charter? MediaCom? Suddenlink? WindJammer?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Much of what Cablevision will be buying was actually owned by Comcast and spun off to Bresnan because the local properties weren't contiguous to the main Comcast plant. As part of that deal, Comcast maintained a 30% ownership in Bresnan. »www.cedmagazine.com/comc ··· ems.aspx

Funny how things go. Comcast dumps the systems and now Cablevision is buying them. Doesn't make sense to me that Cablevision is buying local systems so far flung from their main cable plant. Sounds like a major fail situation to me.
Yeah, and in a few years, watch Comcast buy Cablevision and get those Bresnan systems back
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Not Qwest, Centurylink

Qwest from day one was just a leech on the old US West Ma Bell designed to leech all of the old RBOC assets and put them in managements pockets before this final sale to Centurylink.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Chris 313

to Chris 313

doubt it. The Dolan's are going to sell that easy to Comcast. Especially when nobody knows what the logoic is behind the purchase.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

when the going gets tough...

when the going gets tough (aka Verizon digital voice), the tough find more ways to buy tax writeoffs.

Now Verizon can offer a $90-$99 deal inclusive of fees, and eliminate most (if not all) Digital Voice fees and provide an apples to apples... Cablevision must cut prices or else... upgrade service. I thought this move was at least another 4-10 years out by Verizon-- once they sold off all unprofitables and unloaded billions more.

Perhaps it's a public relations thing.. Cablevision is expanding their footprint, whilest Verizon is cutting theirs. It's also a given that Verizon had/has a HUGE footprint to begin with.

I bet at&t is very unhappy with all that economic turmOIL in the south usa.. that means less business in their newly purchased Bell South investment.. boo hoo.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

VZ isn't going to cut fees. They make $$$$ of those "unfees". It's pure profit for them to charge you all the fees on landlines.

Digital Voice is just a new service they can offer over the FiOS and that will be about it.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan

Better hope Tw or comcast are not looking at it.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: when the going gets tough...

Maybe Verizon will:

1. Sell off non-profitable markets
2. Cutback FiOS rollout for a while
3. Eventually buy Cablevision

Think about it!
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to hayabusa3303

to hayabusa3303

What's the problem with Comcast again?
iansltx

iansltx to odog

to odog

Re: Bresnan was a smart business man

I' scratching my head here as well.

Maybe CV is buying because they'd like to go into a market without rip-roaring, cut-throat competition for a change?
iansltx

iansltx

How does this make sense?

I could understand Suddenlink buying Bresnan because that's what they do (rural cable systems, which they then build up to the point that they're better than telco alternatives in the area). However Cablevision is an urban operator that's used to working with advanced technology, N+0 plant and heavy competition from FiOS where FiOS is available.

Then this?!?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

WHAT!!!???!!!??!

When the heck did this happen? I thought they were just looking into it, not actually selling the company.

Looks like I was right. When Bill died, they wanted to ditch the company ASAP.

I wonder what's going to happen to the call centers now. Are they going to have magnitudes more workload or are they going to start killing them off. I hope things stay the same.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to NY Tel

to NY Tel

we had that happen before. But instead the Telco actually built out as an over builder. Remember AmeriCast? Which is now WOW? It was Ameritech's baby until SBC came along and sold the markets and WOW took over and rebuilt again just a few years later.

On the other hand Cinci Bell bought an overbuilder MSO a few years back.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Its Dolan's backup plan if CV Tri State declares bankruptcy because of FIOS. There is a 100% guarantee there will be no Telco FTTH in Montana. Dolan also has has his media channels/sports investments. I dont think CV will brand integrate Bresnan anytime soon.
patcat88

patcat88 to NY Tel

to NY Tel

said by NY Tel:

Maybe Verizon will:

1. Sell off non-profitable markets
2. Cutback FiOS rollout for a while
3. Eventually buy Cablevision

Think about it!
No, HFC is obsolete. CV might be worthwhile to buy it for its Lightpath Business fiber division, to get rid of its lowball prices (as compared to ILEC SLA fiber). Theres also anti-trust regulations, you have to maintain the illusion of competition.
patcat88

patcat88 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: How does this make sense?

Its a backup plan for dolan in case CV tristate area goes bankrupt from FIOS some years down the road.

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

koolkid1563

MVM

OOL Ultra?

Wonder if OOL will bring their Ultra tier to those Bresnan markets that have a D3 CMTS? With Bresnan getting peering arrangements with L3 and 10Gb/s backhaul links to most markets they might be able to. Will be an interesting next couple of months (year?) depending on how long it will take for everything to transition over.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to iansltx

to iansltx

the cap

Shamayim
Premium Member
join:2002-09-23

Shamayim to odog

Premium Member

to odog

Re: Bresnan was a smart business man

Is this the same Bill Bresnan who used to host a financial radio show?
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88

i don't see CV filing bankruptcy.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88

HFC is FAR from obsolete! Where do people come up with this information at?

HFC has far more power left than people realize. But of course everyone one here wants FiOS or FTTH when Cable still has YEARS and YEARS left. The only FTTN that is obsolete is U-Verse.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to koolkid1563

to koolkid1563

Re: OOL Ultra?

CV may have already started intergrating or has a plan. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't have something going to their data center in NY though so that may take time unless they talk to L3.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: How does this make sense?

LMAO!

Bankrupt? where do you get this at? FiOS isn't going to run them into bankruptcy. Have you seen the numbers on how many people sign up with FiOS compared to the number of homes passed? It's not very many. And at least 70% of all customers will NOT switch providers regardless if they have horrible service or not. This is due to people do NOT like change. That is what the cable companies are banking on. Plus how many people (average people on the street) know the difference between FiOS and OOL? Besides they both offer Internet and TV. One is cable and one is VZ?
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin

And the people on here asked for a cap. Ask and you shall receive.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
Two words: Business Class.

Anything else?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

HFC is FAR from obsolete! Where do people come up with this information at?
1 Fiber = 10 gbps*80 lambas = 800 gbps today in commercial world
1 coax = 38 mbps [qam 256] *(870/6) = 5.5 gbps

now to be fair, lets upgrade HFC to bleeding edge specs that nobody has deployed
1 coax = 53 mbps [qam 1024]*(1000[mhz]/6) = 8.8 gbps

commercialized fiber available today is 2 orders of magnitude more bandwidth than the best idealized vaporware HFC speed
page: 1 · 2 · next