dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-14 09:41:30: Bresnan Communications (see our user reviews) received a significant amount of interest from a number of large companies during recent bidding for the carrier, including Cablevision, Charter Communications and Suddenlink. ..

prev · 1 · 2
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Re: How does this make sense?

said by hottboiinnc4:

LMAO!

Bankrupt? where do you get this at? FiOS isn't going to run them into bankruptcy. Have you seen the numbers on how many people sign up with FiOS compared to the number of homes passed? It's not very many. And at least 70% of all customers will NOT switch providers regardless if they have horrible service or not. This is due to people do NOT like change. That is what the cable companies are banking on. Plus how many people (average people on the street) know the difference between FiOS and OOL? Besides they both offer Internet and TV. One is cable and one is VZ?
Enertia never keeps a company alive forever. What happened to the telegraph and western union?

Its true it will be years, if ever, before FIOS is the majority, but it doesn't have to be the majority to harm CV. CV doesn't just compete with FIOS, it competes with Sat TV. If CV trys to undercut FIOS, which I believe it has been doing with retention offers and triple play renewals, its going to start bastardizing itself and cut its dividend and taking on debt, then eventually it will go bankrupt to shed its debt so it can try to compete again. Paul Allen kept his cable company after bankruptcy, Dolans can too. CV has 7.5B market cap, VZ 80B. In a war of attrition its obvious who will win.

Most people can't tell the difference between SD and HD, and can't identify MPEG artifacting. I'm not sure to what extent people "just live" with congested cable nodes, and how many understand the dialup like (5 years ago) loading times on their OOL line. Congested nodes also can clear themselves up by having everyone switch to FIOS but its still lost revenue.

I know a couple technically illiterate people who switched to FIOS because it was "more expensive" and therefore "must be better" just like the ads say. There is value in that. Also when the next gee wiz TV technology comes out, like 3D TV or 1080P cable network broadcast or QuadHD comes out, which requires atleast 1 QAM per channel, CV will be screwed. Marry 3D TV or QuadHD to sports, and consumers will come like bugs to a lightbulb to impress the Joneses just like with HD. FIOS will be able to just turn on a 10 or 25 gbps lamba for whatever new technology comes, and swap the ONTs as people order the new tech. CV will have to rebuild their plant into Active FTTP.

When asian cars first came to the USA, people swore off they would never purchase tiny unpatriotic cars. Now Toyota is #2 in sales in USA. What happened? People don't like change right?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Nope! nobody likes change. But all this about CV you're saying "you believe" I can believe too. But VZ will NEVER touch CV. As i said; do you know how many people sign up per homes passed with FiOS? Search for it on here and on the VZ Investor Site. The numbers are not pretty- that is the whole reason people are not switching besides people don't like change.

As far as change; who is going to switch to something that is more expensive when their current product works? Do you go out and buy a 3D Samsung TV just because it's new? Of course you don't. That wouldn't be cost affective. Everyone knows this.

The Market Cap? LOL what market cap? Just the homes they pass in NY? They can expand that over and over again easily by buying up smaller MSOs which they just proved they'd do. As far as a congested node; you do realize that most if not 99.99% of that has been fixed with CV right?

Also VZ only brought out FiOS because the gov't told them they wouldn't have to share it and due to they HAD to. You can't rely on DSL for ever. Although MSOs can rely on their coax for MANY MANY years to come unlike VZ.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: when the going gets tough...

have you heard of DOCSIS 3 and node splitting?? which proves that HFC is NOT obsolete. There is room for MSOs to grow on that network and they will. Look at Comcast and the speeds they're pushing out. VZ just started pushing out those speeds and had to build out a complete new network to even thing about it due to their copper only being able to hold only maybe 3megs down. Cable is up to what? 100+ megs with just a simple upgrade in the CMTS node split and new modem. And when the time is right they can deploy FTTH in just a under 2 years to their entire footprint unlike VZ and ATT.

It does sound like you've been drinking the VZ koolaid though.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

800 gbps today > 8 gbps vaporware

I'm done here.
waiting4fios
join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

waiting4fios

possible cable swap down the road?

Like most comments, this purchase by Cablevision doesn't seem to make sense, so there might be some ulterior motive.

My guess is that they buy these systems, and then maybe swap them with another cable company down the road. I don't know who the major players are out there, but perhaps CV wants them to then offer them to Comcast in exchange for some areas in NJ that border Cablevision's current footprint.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Competition

Over priced ?

Same service ?

You see my point here I hope.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Overpriced compared to ?

Same service as ?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: when the going gets tough...

vaporware? LMAO! WTFE! Go lobby some more for VZ.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios

Re: possible cable swap down the road?

they used to be Comcast systems. Comcast doesn't want them back. This is a great way for CV to become nationwide.
Quento21
join:2007-09-28
Laurel, MT

Quento21 to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: Comcast owns 30% of Bresnan

actually patcat the little town of laurel (where i live) is getting 20/2 fiber from Lightnex which serves parts of Billings and Bozeman right now, so yeah we already have fiber, do research before you go stating "facts". They are suppose to start working on installing lines sometime later this year.

Paladin
Sage of the light
join:2001-08-17
Chester, IL

Paladin

Buy out New Wave Communications

Dear Cablevision,

Buy out New Wave Communications. They are my local provider.

Love,

Paladin
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to patcat88

to patcat88

Re: Comcast owns 30% of Bresnan

CenturyHell offers FTTH in portions of the Kalispell market. Exactly where, I don't know. Just that they list pricing for it and I've heard it's in brand-new developments. They're just doing fiber INSTEAD of copper, no overlaying at all though.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

Re: WHAT!!!???!!!??!

said by SimbaSeven:

When the heck did this happen? I thought they were just looking into it, not actually selling the company.

Looks like I was right. When Bill died, they wanted to ditch the company ASAP.

I wonder what's going to happen to the call centers now. Are they going to have magnitudes more workload or are they going to start killing them off. I hope things stay the same.
I'm sure CV has more people calling them in one day then live in the entire sate of Montana..
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Competition

said by iansltx:

Overpriced compared to residential service.

Same service as residential service.
Fixed that. Only difference is the cap, which they don't need. At least it's a 250gb cap instead of 2gb...
bm10k
join:2010-06-16
Fargo, ND

bm10k

Re: Rebranding

So does CV plan on rebranding
Bresnan as Optimum
Quento21
join:2007-09-28
Laurel, MT

Quento21

What about Laurel?!

i'm just hoping that if this deal goes through well and decide to buy out Cable Montana/USA Digital (my isp) as well since my isp is technically Bresnan, i have to go through the Billings servers in order to get to the internet. I literally have the same hops as most Billings subscribers besides the first 2 hops which are my isp.

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.127.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.70.0.1
2 9 ms 21 ms 11 ms 24-72-200-1.static.cablemt.net [24.72.200.1]
3 12 ms 10 ms 12 ms blnmtfh1hb7-GE-0-0-0-U220.int.bresnan.net [69.14
4.126.221]
4 15 ms 12 ms 13 ms blnmtfh1cr5-GE-3-0-5-U0.int.bresnan.net [72.175.
110.54]
5 19 ms 18 ms 17 ms mslmt001cr5-XE-5-3-0-U0.int.bresnan.net [72.175.
110.75]
6 30 ms 32 ms 33 ms seawafh1tr5-XE-5-3-0-U0.int.bresnan.net [72.175.
111.23]
7 33 ms 31 ms 34 ms 12.90.77.17
8 37 ms 31 ms 32 ms cr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [12.123.46.6]
9 37 ms 34 ms 33 ms 12.122.146.153
10 32 ms 32 ms 34 ms 12.89.209.14
11 33 ms 31 ms 32 ms 209.85.249.32
12 44 ms 44 ms 39 ms 72.14.239.12
13 41 ms 38 ms 39 ms 64.233.174.127
14 49 ms 55 ms 39 ms 64.233.174.97
15 42 ms 39 ms 40 ms pz-in-f103.1e100.net [74.125.127.103]

Trace complete.

I think i should be seeing the option to boost my speed soon since i've been stuck with the same 5/384 connection for the past 4 or 5 years.
Karunamon
join:2010-06-16
Casper, WY

Karunamon to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios

Re: possible cable swap down the road?

said by waiting4fios:

I don't know who the major players are out there, but perhaps CV wants them to then offer them to Comcast in exchange for some areas in NJ that border Cablevision's current footprint.
Dear god, I hope not. I used to do callcenter for Comcast.. you couldn't pay me to use their service.

That said, Bresnan's service is okay around here (central WY) but their CS and billing departments absolutely suck.
prev · 1 · 2