dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-06-14 13:00:07: Fairpoint Communications utterly imploded after regulators rubber stamped their acquisition of Verizon's unwanted New England (Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire) DSL and landline networks, though the company insists they should be able to exit bankrup.. ..

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

The Opposite

For the most part. For a company thats responsible for people's telecommunication services, they need to be more heavy regulated as far as outages and services calls for telephone service.

Though some may disagree on this website, broadband should take a back seat, and they should be able to lax their initial upgrade projection timelines. Maybe not appeasing to the consumer or wall st, but broadband isnt as much of a lifeline as telephone service, and thus shouldnt be considered AS important.

Speed upgrades arent as important as reliability, at this point.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Verizon's decision to dump New England looking better

Looks like Verizon made the right decision to get out of providing landline service in New England. They got to dump a non-profitable business and escape the type of over-regulation of businesses that New England is known for.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Why not?

Why not let them do whatever they want? It's time the people and regulators in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire experience the full incompetence of FairPoint. You reap what you sow...

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Why not let them do whatever they want? It's time the people and regulators in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire experience the full incompetence of FairPoint. You reap what you sow...
But they already have, at the expense of the customer. (who aren't that bright to begin with...they got what they deserved, just ask them!)

telcotech
IBEW 2222 Boston, MA
Premium Member
join:2004-09-02
united state

telcotech

Premium Member

Not again!

I hope the folks in Northern New England are "all over" their elected officials & regulators to prevent this. Little oversight allowed the VZ / FP deal to be completed in the first place, less still will only make things worse.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Verizon's decision to dump New England looking better

said by FFH5:

They got to dump a non-profitable business and escape the type of over-regulation of businesses that New England is known for.
Are you saying that with your own experience? I dont see us any worse off than any other state around the country as far as business regs go.
33358088 (banned)
join:2008-09-23

33358088 (banned)

i hope tony clement in canada is watching

ya know the troubles you have this canuck minister wants to import to canada

yaaaaaa

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7

Premium Member

hmmm....

If companies couldn't do the "bankruptcy" as part of their "business" plan, a lot of these "deals" wouldn't go through. If a private citizen does bankruptcy as a last resort, the are the devil incarnate.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

hottboiinnc4 to baineschile

to baineschile

Re: The Opposite

that depends on what state you are in. ATT just got what the wanted from Ohio. They don't have to do anything but deliver services now to basic telephone customers and offer them credits when service is out. If you bundle services or have anything base basic service, you don't get SHIT! Not even the 72-hr turn around for working service. Only basic customers get that now here.

Welcome to the world of ILECs.
»www.pickocc.org/news/201 ··· 06042010

again
@rr.com

again

Anon

DSL

I feel sorry for the people that need Fairpoint DSL, I dropped them recently. DSL is really out of date, and rotten copper no good.
nutcr0cker
join:2003-04-02
Chandler, AZ

nutcr0cker

Pretty sure george Drakol Bush would agree with the company

Pretty sure george Drakol Bush would agree with the company
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

while we're at it..

let's have BP, AIG, Bear Stearns, BofA, and the rest line up at the government trough which is now empty for more government favors....

meanwhile a few state governments are on the verge of being shut down because they have too little courage to tax the rich and wealthy corporations. the republicans put these bad business practices into place and the democrats are rubber stamping them. inaction is just as good as a rubber stamp these days.

when will government do the hard work that's necessary to get the economy going again?

meanwhile the scumbag politicans are too worried to do anything until the next SCREWOVER CYCLE...

let me make it absolutely clear.. fairpiont as zero creditibility to get anything from anybody but taken over.. possibly siezed by state governments (eminent domain of a telecom).

braynes
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Waterville, ME

braynes

Premium Member

Who would have guessed?

I have the tar anyone have a rail or some feathers?
Bruce

ph03n1x
join:2003-02-15
Sanford, FL

ph03n1x to FFH5

to FFH5

It's not a black & white issue of over-regulation or under-regulation as many people on either side of the argument would like you to believe.

It's a matter of proper and functional necessary regulation and then proper enforcement and prevention of corruption and special interest after the fact.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to baineschile

to baineschile

Re: The Opposite

this is one company who needs to be well looked at not the other way around.
they have screwed us but good in maine where i live.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: while we're at it..

taxing and regulation are 2 different things.

As far as BP they'll be far from getting any handouts in this country or the President and others will be tossed out of office real quick.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

Looks like Verizon made the right decision to get out of providing landline service in New England. They got to dump a non-profitable business and escape the type of over-regulation of businesses that New England is known for.
People keep saying 'non-profitable' areas. These areas made a profit, just not enough profit for the corporate bean counters. They see that almost 100% profit of a text message and want to get away from any service that doesn't provide the profit margin cell service provides.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to woody7

Premium Member

to woody7

Re: hmmm....

said by woody7:

If companies couldn't do the "bankruptcy" as part of their "business" plan, a lot of these "deals" wouldn't go through. If a private citizen does bankruptcy as a last resort, the are the devil incarnate.
There you go. Screw regulating, just treat businesses as you would Joe Blow individual!!

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

1 edit

woody7

Premium Member

said by cork1958:
said by woody7:
There you go. Screw regulating, just treat businesses as you would Joe Blow individual!!
I didn't say screw regulating, which is working so wonderfully /sarcasm, I was referring that the only way "Fairpoint" was going to make this work was through the bankruptcy process. If they couldn't do the bankruptcy, they probably wouldn't have done the deal. my comment stands on it's own, it is is ok for Banks and companies to do the bankruptcy, but when as you put it "Joe Blow" does it, all of a sudden it is just plain wrong. And where was the regulating? Oh you mean bankruptcy? And why should businesses be better than 'Joe Blow" ? I mean the Supreme court just ruled that corporations have the same rights as an individual, shouldn't they have the same responsibities?