dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-07-07 13:01:14: Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett has never been particularly fond of FiOS, given that as an investment analyst he likes his telcos (like Qwest) to shun network upgrades at the cost of the company's future so investors can get more immediate re.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

1 recommendation

Uncle Paul

ATT listened!

quote:
Then again, had Verizon listened to Moffett -- they'd be stuck fighting cable DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades, the VoIP triple play, and the continuing death of landline with aging last-generation copper and crossed fingers.
Pretty much where ATT is right now...

techman0001

Anon

re

This is why analysts have the most useless position. Another job where they are paid to be wrong all the time.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Like a broken record

I think Moffett has forgotten that businesses actually have to provide some kind of value -- either in product or service -- in return for the money they collect, and that if that value is substandard, the company won't be around long enough to continue collecting said money.

I'm sure, of course, that Moffett would prefer Verizon to just take people's money and give it all directly to investors while producing nothing.
sefs
join:2010-07-01
Gibsonia, PA

sefs

Old Thinking

If all companies listened to this, we'd still be on 56K modems because, "We can sell them another line and charge usage fees on it! What a great idea! Want more speed? Let us sell you a T1 line for exorbitant fees!". Competition is the only thing that will drive innovation. Otherwise, what's the reason to invest in a captive audience? Verizon laying FiOS has driven the innovation of DOCSIS 3.0 and other fast services.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Really Mr. Moffett?

quote:
"Without these access lines, we project that the wireline segment – which still accounts for ~70% of Verizon's asset base (proportionate for VZ's 55% ownership of VZW) – will produce negative operating income going forward," the analysts said in their research report, adding that while “the divested properties accounted for just 8.8% of Verizon's wireline revenues in 2009, they contributed an incredible 53.7% of wireline's pre-tax operating free cash flow [EBITDA less capex]."
Now, is this the same research you did when you said FIOS would implode?

If this guy was my financial advisor, I would have fired him long ago.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

wise i got paid to do the wrong info....... moffet

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

1 recommendation

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Analysts

Analysts are one step below lawyers on the scum of the earth chart.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to techman0001

Premium Member

to techman0001

Re: re

Analysts actually serve a very useful purpose...for their employers and hedge fund buddies

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

AssHat!

[See subject]
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

Re: Really Mr. Moffett?

In his defense, VZ's investment in FiOS hasn't exactly spurred any great growth for the company. Not exactly imploding, but.....
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

lol

quote:
"Without these access lines, we project that the wireline segment – which still accounts for ~70% of Verizon's asset base (proportionate for VZ's 55% ownership of VZW) – will produce negative operating income going forward," the analysts said in their research report, adding that while “the divested properties accounted for just 8.8% of Verizon's wireline revenues in 2009, they contributed an incredible 53.7% of wireline's pre-tax operating free cash flow [EBITDA less capex]."
Hmmm. Are you telling me that those 8% of Verizon's gross income, resulted in 50% of Verizon's profit? Maybe I should buy Frontier stock now
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to firedrakes

to firedrakes

said by firedrakes:

wise i got paid to do the wrong info....... moffet
That's because Moffett took all of Bernie Madoff's clients.
ravensfan55
join:2008-06-16
Severna Park, MD

ravensfan55

He should quit his day job......

Because time after time he predicts that FiOS will crash and burn, while more and more people switch, and their satisfaction ratings are constantly much better than those of the cable companies.

He can become a lobbyist for the cable industry, since he's as anti-FTTH as they are.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

hmm

Well he is kinda right. verizon did announce no more fios rollout .

JoeOnSunset
Doublethink Is Doubleplus Ungood.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Ormond Beach, FL

JoeOnSunset

Premium Member

blah blah fios

Neither here nor there, but, could this guy have a douchier photo?

Anonyname
@tvc-ip.com

Anonyname

Anon

Which way do we go

My brother lives in Delmar which is one of the few areas of upstate NY where FIOS is run. As I was visiting one day I looked at the lines running along the poles between his and his neighbors house and asked why he didn't subscribe to Verizons fiber solution (being that he was complaining about his cable modem woes with Road Runner). He told me that he never even heard of it and so I told him all about it. He called up but they told him it wasn't available to him. I told him that is that were true, why does your neighbor have it? After he explained that to them, they sent someone out to set him up and he hasn't been happier with his internet connection. I only wish they offered it in the Clifton Park / Halfmoon region. My internet connection is fine with Road Runner (albeit slow at times), but the HD channels almost always seem to get pixilated. Of course they don't offer tv in upstate NY yet either so I guess it is a wash for now. A number of the people I talked to that could get FIOS said they weren't going to consider it until they could get TV service as well.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

2 edits

1 recommendation

Z80A

Premium Member

This is why ST capital gains taxes need to go WAY up

Short term capital gains taxes need to be so high that investors can't go in and demand the decimation of a company like a bunch of piraña for short term profits.

Short term capital gains taxes should be 80%+ and long term should be more than just 1 year. Perhaps have a mid term rate with long term being at least 5 years.

All investors should have a vested interest in long term economic viability and success of the company they are investing in.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Wasn't this a lot less of an issue when companies only had to report earnings annually?

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

Short term investors have always been at odds with common sense.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

1 recommendation

Vamp9190

Premium Member

This is not news

DSLR keeps reporting on this moron, and it isn't even news. Who cares what some analyst is saying about FiOS, it's just made-up fluff so that he can sell more stock to poor saps that will probably lose money while he makes big commissions. If you keep putting this guy in the news, he gets exposure, so stop!

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Uncle Paul

Premium Member

to Uncle Paul

Re: ATT listened!

As did Maine, NH and VT for deal with Failpoint! LOL!

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

In his defense, VZ's investment in FiOS hasn't exactly spurred any great growth for the company. Not exactly imploding, but.....
Investments such as this don't usually show IMMEDIATE profits, but in the long run turn out to be a VERY cheap investment in the company that has long range payoffs in savings.

In the case of FIOS, we are ONLY looking at the "Triple Play" area and forgetting the changes on the back-end at the CO's that will save Verizon BOATLOADS of cash in maintenance costs, PLUS offer them a way to be on the forefront of FUTURE delivery of next generation of services...
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul

Re: ATT listened!

The assumption is that this kind of competition is even there to begin with.

The major problem over a vast majority of our country and thus over a vast majority of the consumers in the country is that having either only 1 or 2 actual broadband choices generally brings just the status quo. And the incumbents will continue to do the very bare minimum to appear to compete and to appear to be bringing something good when in reality they have not done much of anything to improve the overall infrastructure of the last mile and the most important part of the connection for the consumer.

Look at Hong Kong now 1 gig symmetrical for $26 a month. Sure they are smaller, but what about New York, Chicago, and other extremely large cities. Cities that have millions of people in a small area that can get at best 100meg for several times more.

It is not a matter of whether or not they can afford to do it or even should do it. It is a matter of simply telling the short term investors to kiss off (Like Moffett) and actually doing it for the betterment of the company as a whole and for the future.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to JRW2

to JRW2

Your speaking with a man that probably Twitters and is a friend on Facebook with Moffet.

Don't attempt to debate the obvious with him.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029

Re: hmm

said by majortom1029:

Well he is kinda right. verizon did announce no more fios rollout .
Which was a STUPID move on their part.

Slowing down the pace of conversions would have been a BETTER option if they were looking at the costs.
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

beaups to Z80A

to Z80A

Re: This is why ST capital gains taxes need to go WAY up

You're theory is great except there would be nobody around to buy your shares when it comes time to sell.

Take a moment and think about what you wrote.
neftv
join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

neftv

American outdated traditional corp structure.

I wanted to make a more general comment that as long as there is an outdated traditional corp structure, (boardroom, stockholders) and yes Unions this country will never be the best it can be. There are so many matters that involve the government too. Right now I think "We the people" are just a bunch of chumps in this country with mediocre services and goods many of which are not even made in this country.
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050

Premium Member

Hmm

I think he's just bitter they didn't deploy FiOS in his area and he's stuck with crap DSL :P

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

Silly

We have a working example of what would have happened to Verizon had it not gone the FIOS route.

It is called Qwest.

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A to beaups

Premium Member

to beaups

Re: This is why ST capital gains taxes need to go WAY up

Says who?

Take a moment and think about what you wrote.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next