dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-07-09 17:12:26: As Comcast looks to gain regulatory approval for their merger with NBC Universal, the company is informing many customers they'll be seeing their second round of cable rate hikes in less than a year. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608

Premium Member

this is news

of course there gonna hike rates why is this news there be another rate hike come march 2011 i bet
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Teleco's

Okay! Teleco's are next! where is their hikes?

ExitWound
Porsche Snob
join:2001-12-13
Boalsburg, PA

ExitWound

Not surprised

"new technology, new features, additional programming, higher broadband speeds and improved customer service."

Isn't this supposed to be what companies do naturally to continue existing? Why is this now a reason for us to shell out more money?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Well there's more than one way to pay for a lawsuit!
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Heh

I guess they want their $16 back. And then some.
AstroBoy
join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD

AstroBoy

If they can afford...

If they can afford to buy NBC (or whoever), then they have too much profit!

Chuckles0
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN

Chuckles0

Premium Member

said by AstroBoy:

they have too much profit!
Too much profit? You can't have that.
PerfectCode
join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

PerfectCode

Eww

Ugh, Comcast continues to be lackluster and yet they raise prices...

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to SunnyD

Premium Member

to SunnyD

Re: Heh

They'll be making a lot more than the $16 million they lost. :/

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 edit

1 recommendation

koitsu

MVM

More rate hikes?!

Okay, so this is getting a little silly. I don't mind paying more for service as time goes on (hello inflation, increased cost of living, DAMN THOSE CARL'S JR. BURGERS SURE ARE EXPENSIVE, etc.), but this is indeed the 2nd time this year prices have increased.

As I see it their justification is only partial. I'll break it down per item, with my opinions included. Keep one thing in mind: I only subscribe to Comcast's broadband Internet service (22/5 tier), and I own my own cable modem (SB6120, DOCSIS 3.0).

• New technology -- I can agree with this. DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is indeed "new" technology and it does cost money for the upgrades. I'm keeping in mind that more and more geographic areas (not mine!) are undergoing upgrades. But I thought that's what we were paying for in the previous rate hike? Or was the previous rate hike not enough? Honesty please.

• New features -- what new features does my cable Internet service have? Boost has existed for a few years now. Let me know what those features are so I can make use of them. If I don't make use of them, can I get a credit?

• Additional programming -- I don't subscribe to television service so this doesn't apply. Again, can I get a credit?

• Higher broadband speeds -- this definitely applies, and is fully justified. No complaints.

• Improved customer service -- please justify this. Let me explain what I mean by justify: are you giving your CSRs raises (either in hourly rates or salaries, not sure if they're contracted or full-time)? If so, I'm all for it. Otherwise, how does "improved" customer service cost more? You just get your CSRs to do a better job (sometimes salary increases help with that). On the other hand, you HAVE increased customer service capability -- the ComcastDirect forum here on BBR is proof. Hey wait a minute, doesn't SteveTeow See Profile usually handle those requests? So is HE getting a raise? If not, he damn well should! So again, honesty please.

You see, if a company came forth and said "We're increasing your monthly rate because our CEO and CFO want more money, and our stockholders want higher profits", I'd probably say "Holy crap, you're being honest! And for being so, I'll pay more!" But that's never how capitalism works in the United States, and that's too bad; honesty always taking a back seat to money = makes koitsu a sad panda.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to ExitWound

Premium Member

to ExitWound

Re: Not surprised

said by ExitWound:

"new technology, new features, additional programming, higher broadband speeds and improved customer service."

Isn't this supposed to be what companies do naturally to continue existing? Why is this now a reason for us to shell out more money?
Not to mention, in our market, we haven't gotten 80% of that list.

- No DOCSIS 3.0 (no higher broadbands speeds)
- Old Scientific Atlanta DVRs with SARA software
- No multiscream CableCARDs
- No new channels added so far this year
- The same old customer service (a.k.a. none, until you get corporate involved)

I am incredibly thankful that I will be moving into a Verizon FiOS market soon.

CCbilling
@comcast.net

CCbilling

Anon

I work in Comcast Billing

and we have heard of nothing to do with this here in our region. (new england) and we certainly would have if it was something starting aug. 1st.

Care should be used with this news as this may be a regional issue or an area that didn't have a previous increase.

Thank you.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo

Premium Member

Well, I guess no Comcast for us then...

We were getting ready to go with Comcast for our cable, internet and phone service since that is the provider for the area we will be moving too. And unfortunately, Verizon in that area doesn't offer high speed internet

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

So now it's two rate hikes a year?

I am soooo glad I left Comcast and went to DirecTV back in 2003 . . . better service, more HD channels, cheaper prices, a LOT better tech support and no lying through their teeth like Comcast does.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

How ?

How can they seriously do this again !

Seriously My contract runs out with them in August, I will be moving to satellite and DSL at this point. I refuse to deal with this stuff again.
Jo J14
join:2010-06-29
New York, NY

Jo J14

Cord Cutter

Im glad im not a sports fan, as there is tons of stuff to watch for free on the net through my PC connected to my TV. There are even sites now that are more like TV that provide constant streams of your favorite shows.

Of course people like us are a very small population. The majority will bitch and moan about the rate hikes, but they'd never connect a pc to a tv to enjoy all the free content there is on the web.

Oh well their loss.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

Just great...

Sheesh, my bill just went up on my 6/29 statement. The increase affected everyone on the lower tiers. My limited basic cable went from $10.75 (before junk) to $11.95 (before junk). I wonder how much will the internet fees go up... I am in the middle of a 6 month promo now and after that, it will be almost $60 (internet+modem+junk)... Should I expect the fee to be $65 or $70?!?!? I wish there was a comparable alternative to Comcast... I have no desire to go to 1.5M DSL on CenturyLink I only have the cable TV because I can only get 2 channels.

DoRight
join:2007-07-20
East Petersburg, PA

1 recommendation

DoRight

Always here

Why are these hikes always in Central PA.. It's because there is no competition... UGH
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

I dont get it

I always here about these increases yet my bill doesnt change. In the last 5 years my bill has went up 2 dollars and that was a internet increase to 44.95. I really didnt mind since it was 42.95 for like forever. i seem to be stuck with 36 for tv forever also. i just dont get how everyone tells me my rate is going up and yet it doesnt. Does dish not work in central pa?
shades
join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ

shades to QLR

to QLR

Re: Just great...

said by QLR:

Sheesh, my bill just went up on my 6/29 statement. The increase affected everyone on the lower tiers. My limited basic cable went from $10.75 (before junk) to $11.95 (before junk). I wonder how much will the internet fees go up... I am in the middle of a 6 month promo now and after that, it will be almost $60 (internet+modem+junk)... Should I expect the fee to be $65 or $70?!?!? I wish there was a comparable alternative to Comcast... I have no desire to go to 1.5M DSL on CenturyLink I only have the cable TV because I can only get 2 channels.
sign up for another triple or double play promotion again and complain about the prices, and then keep complaining and you will get a discount

Marduk
join:2004-09-05
West Chester, PA

Marduk to banditws6

to banditws6

said by banditws6:
said by ExitWound:

Not to mention, in our market, we haven't gotten 80% of that list.

- No DOCSIS 3.0 (no higher broadbands speeds)
- Old Scientific Atlanta DVRs with SARA software
- No multiscream CableCARDs
- No new channels added so far this year
- The same old customer service (a.k.a. none, until you get corporate involved)

I am incredibly thankful that I will be moving into a Verizon FiOS market soon.
If you think comcast customer service sucks, wait until you get double billed by verizon and then have nobody that speaks english try to fix it for you.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Thank you Fcc

For getting pushed around again when you could have passed landmark pro-consumer REGULATION,instead a few grand here and there to the right politicians and bam no such thing as price caps in anyone's vocabulary anymore.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned) to CCbilling

to CCbilling

Re: I work in Comcast Billing

said by CCbilling :

we have heard of nothing to do with this
A Comcast employee with no clue what is going on. I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

56403739 (banned) to banditws6

to banditws6

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on them ever getting their shit together in Naples.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Marduk

to Marduk
quote:
If you think comcast customer service sucks, wait until you get double billed by verizon and then have nobody that speaks english try to fix it for you.
I've had billing issues with Verizon and when I called the person spoke English and fixed my issue right away. No issues here, just better prices and service quality than when we were with Comcast.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to ebgbjo

to ebgbjo

Re: Well, I guess no Comcast for us then...

why not? 3 services and a nice bundled rate will be fine.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to newview

to newview

Re: So now it's two rate hikes a year?

lower prices? thats because they our source their call centers to everyone they can. they don't also have local employees and a network plant that spreads the entire country to build and maintain every day. Comcast has to. DirecTV is lucky if they have 3 national headends and that's it. Everything else is in the air and they only launch a new bird when they add more compressed HD services. Then claim they have the largest HD selection ever!
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn

Re: How ?

your contract doesn't include the rate hike? why do people assume that? renew your contract now and be done with it.

When VZW raises their cell rates you don't see people on here complaining about it. You see people renewing at their current price to lock it in longer.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to QLR

to QLR

Re: Just great...

why not save that $7 on that modem and buy your own? At paying Comcast $7 each month for that modem you can buy a new one every year!
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to Camaro

to Camaro

Re: Thank you Fcc

the FCC doesn't have the power to do price caps. Where in the hell are you getting that at? IF they did price caps every damn communication company in the country would drag them into court and sue. The FCC would cause a HUGE stir up and that'd be the end of them.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next