spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-07-09 17:12:26: As Comcast looks to gain regulatory approval for their merger with NBC Universal, the company is informing many customers they'll be seeing their second round of cable rate hikes in less than a year. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1

this is news

of course there gonna hike rates why is this news there be another rate hike come march 2011 i bet
Premium
join:2008-09-23
kudos:2

Have to cover the 60 million lawsuit

yup they lose then pass the cost right back at ya and prolly a lil extra for whining

HAHA love america

MAD

@comcast.net

Re: this is news

Comcast said this new INFINITY would nor fo up, pLEASE ALL COMCAST CUSTOMERS STUDY YOUR BILL. IT HAS GONE UP ALMOST 25 DOLLARS AND WE HAD NO IDEAL THIS WAS CHANGING, THEY DID NOT EVEN GIVE US A CHOICE AS TO WHETHER WE WANTED THIS SO CALLED NEW INFINITY. IT DOES NOT WORK ANY BETTER. IF REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW COMCAST STAYS IN BUSINESS, I GUESS BECAUSE PEOPLE DO NOT COMPLAIN.
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Teleco's

Okay! Teleco's are next! where is their hikes?

solveforce
solveforce
Premium
join:2007-03-08
Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Teleco's

Agreed. Pretty soon all the telecom service providers will go on a price increase because the competition is making everyone run on very thin margins. He who has the biggest bank account usually wins.
--
»www.solveforce.com has the Telecom Bits

ExitWound
Porsche Snob

join:2001-12-13
State College, PA

Not surprised

"new technology, new features, additional programming, higher broadband speeds and improved customer service."

Isn't this supposed to be what companies do naturally to continue existing? Why is this now a reason for us to shell out more money?
--
»www.theexitwound.com

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Re: Not surprised

said by ExitWound:

"new technology, new features, additional programming, higher broadband speeds and improved customer service."

Isn't this supposed to be what companies do naturally to continue existing? Why is this now a reason for us to shell out more money?
Not to mention, in our market, we haven't gotten 80% of that list.

- No DOCSIS 3.0 (no higher broadbands speeds)
- Old Scientific Atlanta DVRs with SARA software
- No multiscream CableCARDs
- No new channels added so far this year
- The same old customer service (a.k.a. none, until you get corporate involved)

I am incredibly thankful that I will be moving into a Verizon FiOS market soon.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

Marduk

join:2004-09-05
West Chester, PA

said by banditws6:

said by ExitWound:

If you think comcast customer service sucks, wait until you get double billed by verizon and then have nobody that speaks english try to fix it for you.
--
-- Our spirit was here long before you
Long before us
And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end --
itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

quote:
If you think comcast customer service sucks, wait until you get double billed by verizon and then have nobody that speaks english try to fix it for you.
I've had billing issues with Verizon and when I called the person spoke English and fixed my issue right away. No issues here, just better prices and service quality than when we were with Comcast.

Marduk

West Chester, PA

1 recommendation

said by itguy05:

quote:
I've had billing issues with Verizon and when I called the person spoke English and fixed my issue right away. No issues here, just better prices and service quality than when we were with Comcast.
Fluke. F*cking Verizon is the worst company ever.
--
Long before us
k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

1 recommendation

said by Marduk:

said by itguy05:

quote:
Fluke. F*cking Verizon is the worst company ever.
I thought Verizon was the company that couldn't do simple math?

Marduk

West Chester, PA

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

I thought Verizon was the company that couldn't do simple math?
I'm not supposed to say so, but I will anyway. Comcast spends a shitload of alot of money to improve customer service. They will always suck, but they are "trying".. f*king verizon is riding on ma bell, and only makes money because of dufus consumers that believe that they somehow have an edge with FIOS.... It's a shit product that was already surpassed by cable companies years ago.

FTTH? Ya right! Doesnt work that way, bandwidth is bandwidth. If everyone has high speed, everyone is using the service.......
--
Long before us

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

I dunno, I've had Fios for close to a year now, with no issues. No billing issues & no service issues. Picture quality is fantastic, internet is rock solid, and phone works every time.

Verizon's DVR software eats Comcast's for lunch any day. I did have to call customer service once when one of my STB'S took a shit. The CSR was pleasant, and clearly spoke English as a first language.

My 1 year contract is up in August, but my price is locked in for another year even though I'm not in contract. I couldn't be happier with my Verizon Fios experience.
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power
talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
said by Marduk:

It's a shit product that was already surpassed by cable companies years ago.
Where's my 20mbit upload on cable?

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL
Yeah, I've pretty much given up on them ever getting their shit together in Naples.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

said by 56403739:

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on them ever getting their shit together in Naples.
We gave serious consideration to moving to Naples. Wife was offered a transfer with moving bonus and moving expenses paid. Even found a hell of a deal on a short sale. Then I looked into the internet options.

We will be staying in Sarasota.
hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

what away to decide your wife's career. Id hate to have you has a husband.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

said by hottboiinnc:

I didn't say it was a job/transfer she wanted. Nor would it have been a promotion. The decision to stay was mutual, it just happened that the reason on MY side was the much higher cost of a decent connection there.
--
Intel Q6600 @3400Mhz/GA-EP35-DS3P/4x 2048Mb G.Skill/WD Raptor 300Gb/3x WD20EADS 2TB/2x PNY GTX 260/Silverstone 850W/Custom water cooler
WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
said by hottboiinnc:

He is not gay.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
said by banditws6:

said by ExitWound:

Wow you got 20% of that? I got 0% of that and nailed with a huge increase on my "additional outlets". Lucky for you though you get to move to an area served with other providers. If I were to want that, I'd have to move out of state.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek
hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

who in their right mind reports additional outlets? LOL! you only pay for those when you get extra boxes.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

That's what they call outlets with boxes now. Maybe you should know what's going on before running off at the mouth.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek
WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX

said by Cthen:

That's what they call outlets with boxes now. Maybe you should know what's going on before running off at the mouth.
He does not need to know. He just feels the need to speak in Comcast's defense, no matter what they do. The customer is always at fault. For a more detailed crap speech, you can always look up Fiberguy, he is way worse.

BTW, what happened to the crappy "investor", TKJunkMail ?
XJakeX

join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

1 edit
And after a time, when you get fed up with FIOS, and call to cancel, (after a lengthy effort to win you back with all kinds of great deals (temporary ones), don't be surprised to see a bill the next month for the full service.

And when you call customer service, they will speak English, be very polite and promise to take care of it for you right away.

A month later when you get another bill, and you call again, they will apologize and promise to take care of it again.

Then on the third month, when you get another bill for the service that was cut off two minutes after your initial call to cancel, if you are really lucky, the bills might end, and your credit rating *might* not get dinged for falling three months behind.

Welcome to corporate blackmail of the consumer, enabled by a government that has systematically destroyed the simple regulatory structure that used to be in place to prevent the environment we now have where big corporations (you know - the ones that are too big to fail) are more powerful than the government itself.
WernerSchutz

Sugar Land, TX

said by XJakeX:

And after a time, when you get fed up with FIOS, and call to cancel, (after a lengthy effort to win you back with all kinds of great deals (temporary ones), don't be surprised to see a bill the next month for the full service.

And when you call customer service, they will speak English, be very polite and promise to take care of it for you right away.

A month later when you get another bill, and you call again, they will apologize and promise to take care of it again.

Then on the third month, when you get another bill for the service that was cut off two minutes after your initial call to cancel, if you are really lucky, the bills might end, and your credit rating *might* not get dinged for falling three months behind.

Welcome to corporate blackmail of the consumer, enabled by a government that has systematically destroyed the simple regulatory structure that used to be in place to prevent the environment we now have where big corporations (you know - the ones that are too big to fail) are more powerful than the government itself.
Truth.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Man you sound like your in my neighborhood. The cable equipment out here has been here for over 35 years that I have lived here. And no upgrading. (you should see some of the boxes/cable out here...their an eye sore.

And we don't get results out here till corporate gets involved.
You sure you not my neighbor? This sounds so damn familiar to me.
--
Long you live and high you fly and Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
said by ExitWound:

That statement is pure B.S. While most subscribers will never benefit from the NBC Universal acquisition it will be paid for with subscriber rate hikes!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

Well there's more than one way to pay for a lawsuit!
hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

Re: .

yah the same way ATT is paying for their's.
SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

Heh

I guess they want their $16 back. And then some.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

Re: Heh

They'll be making a lot more than the $16 million they lost. :/
AstroBoy

join:2008-08-08
Parkville, MD

If they can afford...

If they can afford to buy NBC (or whoever), then they have too much profit!

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN

Re: If they can afford...

said by AstroBoy:

they have too much profit!
Too much profit? You can't have that.
PerfectCode

join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR

Eww

Ugh, Comcast continues to be lackluster and yet they raise prices...

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 edit

1 recommendation

More rate hikes?!

Okay, so this is getting a little silly. I don't mind paying more for service as time goes on (hello inflation, increased cost of living, DAMN THOSE CARL'S JR. BURGERS SURE ARE EXPENSIVE, etc.), but this is indeed the 2nd time this year prices have increased.

As I see it their justification is only partial. I'll break it down per item, with my opinions included. Keep one thing in mind: I only subscribe to Comcast's broadband Internet service (22/5 tier), and I own my own cable modem (SB6120, DOCSIS 3.0).

• New technology -- I can agree with this. DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is indeed "new" technology and it does cost money for the upgrades. I'm keeping in mind that more and more geographic areas (not mine!) are undergoing upgrades. But I thought that's what we were paying for in the previous rate hike? Or was the previous rate hike not enough? Honesty please.

• New features -- what new features does my cable Internet service have? Boost has existed for a few years now. Let me know what those features are so I can make use of them. If I don't make use of them, can I get a credit?

• Additional programming -- I don't subscribe to television service so this doesn't apply. Again, can I get a credit?

• Higher broadband speeds -- this definitely applies, and is fully justified. No complaints.

• Improved customer service -- please justify this. Let me explain what I mean by justify: are you giving your CSRs raises (either in hourly rates or salaries, not sure if they're contracted or full-time)? If so, I'm all for it. Otherwise, how does "improved" customer service cost more? You just get your CSRs to do a better job (sometimes salary increases help with that). On the other hand, you HAVE increased customer service capability -- the ComcastDirect forum here on BBR is proof. Hey wait a minute, doesn't SteveTeow See Profile usually handle those requests? So is HE getting a raise? If not, he damn well should! So again, honesty please.

You see, if a company came forth and said "We're increasing your monthly rate because our CEO and CFO want more money, and our stockholders want higher profits", I'd probably say "Holy crap, you're being honest! And for being so, I'll pay more!" But that's never how capitalism works in the United States, and that's too bad; honesty always taking a back seat to money = makes koitsu a sad panda.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

•••

CCbilling

@comcast.net

I work in Comcast Billing

and we have heard of nothing to do with this here in our region. (new england) and we certainly would have if it was something starting aug. 1st.

Care should be used with this news as this may be a regional issue or an area that didn't have a previous increase.

Thank you.

Less than 5 months left
Premium
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

Re: I work in Comcast Billing

said by CCbilling :

we have heard of nothing to do with this
A Comcast employee with no clue what is going on. I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Com1231

@comcast.net

Re: I work in Comcast Billing

Its not surprising that they wouldn't tell them anything that's how it usually works with big company's. It has to do with their great communication with their employees leaving them in the dark.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

Well, I guess no Comcast for us then...

We were getting ready to go with Comcast for our cable, internet and phone service since that is the provider for the area we will be moving too. And unfortunately, Verizon in that area doesn't offer high speed internet
hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

Re: Well, I guess no Comcast for us then...

why not? 3 services and a nice bundled rate will be fine.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

So now it's two rate hikes a year?

I am soooo glad I left Comcast and went to DirecTV back in 2003 . . . better service, more HD channels, cheaper prices, a LOT better tech support and no lying through their teeth like Comcast does.

••••••
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

How ?

How can they seriously do this again !

Seriously My contract runs out with them in August, I will be moving to satellite and DSL at this point. I refuse to deal with this stuff again.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

•••••
Jo J14

join:2010-06-29
New York, NY

Cord Cutter

Im glad im not a sports fan, as there is tons of stuff to watch for free on the net through my PC connected to my TV. There are even sites now that are more like TV that provide constant streams of your favorite shows.

Of course people like us are a very small population. The majority will bitch and moan about the rate hikes, but they'd never connect a pc to a tv to enjoy all the free content there is on the web.

Oh well their loss.
QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Just great...

Sheesh, my bill just went up on my 6/29 statement. The increase affected everyone on the lower tiers. My limited basic cable went from $10.75 (before junk) to $11.95 (before junk). I wonder how much will the internet fees go up... I am in the middle of a 6 month promo now and after that, it will be almost $60 (internet+modem+junk)... Should I expect the fee to be $65 or $70?!?!? I wish there was a comparable alternative to Comcast... I have no desire to go to 1.5M DSL on CenturyLink I only have the cable TV because I can only get 2 channels.

•••

DoRight

join:2007-07-20
East Petersburg, PA

1 recommendation

Always here

Why are these hikes always in Central PA.. It's because there is no competition... UGH
rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I dont get it

I always here about these increases yet my bill doesnt change. In the last 5 years my bill has went up 2 dollars and that was a internet increase to 44.95. I really didnt mind since it was 42.95 for like forever. i seem to be stuck with 36 for tv forever also. i just dont get how everyone tells me my rate is going up and yet it doesnt. Does dish not work in central pa?

••••••••••

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Thank you Fcc

For getting pushed around again when you could have passed landmark pro-consumer REGULATION,instead a few grand here and there to the right politicians and bam no such thing as price caps in anyone's vocabulary anymore.

•••

joebarnhart
Paxio evangelist

join:2005-12-15
Santa Clara, CA

Memo to Comcast -- I don't need you!

I already have better internet than Comcast. I think I can live without the few shows I can't get from OTA. Time to vote against Comcast with my feet.

Memo123

@comcast.net

Re: Memo to Comcast -- I don't need you!

If we were all so lucky to have someone other then Comcast. I have that one option because I'm to far away to recieve DSL from Verizon. I can't complain because comcast is actually pretty good in this area.
JerryTimes

join:2002-01-09
Roseville, MI

How about the other companies?

Why does DSLReports.com only talk about Comcasts rate hikes? One of my frinds has U-Verse, he just had a rate hike and my uncle has DirecTV... same for him...

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

1 edit

Re: How about the other companies?

»2010 Will Begin With Broadband, TV Rate Hikes For Many

»ATT Raises U-Verse Pricing For Internet, VoIP, TV

»AT&T Also Raising DSL Prices In 2010

»Leaked 2010 Verizon FiOS Rate Hike Info

»DirecTV Price Hike February 9

Although 2 rate hike is less than 6 months seems to unique to Comcast.
--
Mission Accomplished
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
said by JerryTimes:

Why does DSLReports.com only talk about Comcasts rate hikes? One of my frinds has U-Verse, he just had a rate hike and my uncle has DirecTV... same for him...
They did report them. But this is on top comcasts outlet / box rent hikes.

Boredness
The Lurker
Premium
join:2005-07-07
In Limbo

Going to cut back if it happens!

Not a good idea for any cable or satellite company to raise rates in this economy. Once a year is understandable but twice in 1 year is not.
--
Power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely!

••••