dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2010-07-21 14:34:18: Last year we noted how Netflix was planning to offer stand-alone broadband video streaming in certain unspecified countries -- just not in the U.S -- where Netflix oddly claims there "isn't a demand" for this kind of service. ..

Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

sigh..

Canada is one of the most worthless countries there is for Internet broadband.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Re: sigh..

Does anyone think its fair to have Netflix subsidize ISPs because they use so much bandwidth?

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke

Premium Member

Heh. THat's funny.

Anarchy
@iauq.com

Anarchy to baineschile

Anon

to baineschile
No. No one should think it is fair for Netflix to pay an extra amount when they already pay for bandwith, and their customers pay for bandwith.
tjb122982
join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

said by Anarchy :

No. No one should think it is fair for Netflix to pay an extra amount when they already pay for bandwith, and their customers pay for bandwith.
Netflix doesn't pay for my broadband, I do.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by tjb122982:

said by Anarchy :

thats the point, you pay for your broadband... netflix pays for their broadband... why should netflix have to pay to then subsidize the network they allready pay to access.
tjb122982
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

said by thedragonmas:

said by tjb122982:

said by Anarchy :

thats the point, you pay for your broadband... netflix pays for their broadband... why should netflix have to pay to then subsidize the network they allready pay to access.
Wait, are you saying that Netflix goes to their local cable or phone company for internet access and don't have their own internet solution? That claim is a little bit silly.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by tjb122982:

Wait, are you saying that Netflix goes to their local cable or phone company for internet access and don't have their own internet solution? That claim is a little bit silly.
oh? so every business in your town has their own internet solution? in most cases those T1's and T3's are provided by the same isp's you use or the same backbone those isp's use.
tjb122982
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

said by thedragonmas:

said by tjb122982:

oh? so every business in your town has their own internet solution? in most cases those T1's and T3's are provided by the same isp's you use or the same backbone those isp's use.
It's a little besides the point. The major ISP's have been promoting the idea "the world is at your fingertips" or "use it as much as you want." To me this is not about companies making more money off other companies; it's about my ISP what I can do and can't do, or what I have to pay extra for what I used to get for one rate. I don't like to pay for things that I used to get for free.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

thats my point. the ones who think netflix should "subsidize" the network, are the same people that think you and i should pay our isp more to be able to access netflix.

probably the same people that think that per byte billing is a great idea :|
tjb122982
Terre Haute, IN

tjb122982

said by thedragonmas:

thats my point. the ones who think netflix should "subsidize" the network, are the same people that think you and i should pay our isp more to be able to access netflix.

probably the same people that think that per byte billing is a great idea :|
There is more than meets the eye. I honestly think that, at least the cable companies, want to screw people on their internet and make Netflix harder to use or less than desired level of quality to keep people subscribing to HBO and Showtime. Hell, Verizon and AT&T are probably thinking the same thing since they have poured billions into Fios and U-Verse.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to baineschile

to baineschile
said by baineschile:

Does anyone think its fair to have Netflix subsidize ISPs because they use so much bandwidth?
No one except probably you.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

YAY

Thank god for companies like Teksavvy that provide us with 200GB+ a month.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Re: YAY

And ACANAC... I had then for 2 yrs while living in Toronto...

PROS: NO CAPS AT ALL THEN OR NOW !!!!!
lower cost than rogers ,3web, or bell
online storage free

CONS: Having to use Bells network which is throttled slower than a HORSE AND CARRIAGE !

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

FAIL

Nothing against Canada, I doubt their citizens asked for these caps, but I see this as a failure. I'm sure some people won't realize how much bandwidth these videos use, and will rank up huge overage charges in the process.

It's unfortunate, but Netflix chose the wrong country. I doubt they'll ever turn a profit from this.

-Dragasoni-

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Re: FAIL

Well to be fair most of these plans include an overage cap so they don't charge you excessive amounts, although there are some providers namely for cable that don't cap and will cut you off for excessive use.

The whole system however is broken, unless you can manage to get a dedicated connection you are stuck with whatever the provider offers and we have no choice except for some ISPs like TekSavvy who are trying to sustain their unlimited plans.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

Oh, well that makes it a little better I suppose. But I still think that's crappy of ISP's to take advantage like that.

Do you have free WiFi at McDonalds, Wendy's, Krystal, etc like we do? If so, you could just go there, or set up a directional WiFi antenna on your house to use their connection.

-Dragasoni-

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by Dragasoni:

Oh, well that makes it a little better I suppose. But I still think that's crappy of ISP's to take advantage like that.

Do you have free WiFi at McDonalds, Wendy's, Krystal, etc like we do? If so, you could just go there, or set up a directional WiFi antenna on your house to use their connection.

-Dragasoni-
Yes a few places including Starbucks now but they tend to have very limited bandwidth. Certainly not stable enough for video streaming.

I am however lucky where I am to have both unlimited cable + DSL for the moment. In other areas, many people aren't so lucky.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

Really? The public library in town here has 10 Mbps symetrical, it's free, and they don't block YouTube or other streaming sites. I've never tested the speed at McDonalds since I've only used it with my iPod Touch.

-Dragasoni-

andrej
@acanac.net

andrej

Anon

ya in Toronto biggest city, we have 10mbps symmetrical free in every library over wifi and it's completely neutral

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

1 edit

BACONATOR26 to Dragasoni

Premium Member

to Dragasoni
said by Dragasoni:

Really? The public library in town here has 10 Mbps symetrical, it's free, and they don't block YouTube or other streaming sites. I've never tested the speed at McDonalds since I've only used it with my iPod Touch.

-Dragasoni-
Depends on the area. Here in Ottawa, our nation's capital, funding is very poor for libraries so I'd be surprised if they all had fiber.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Dragasoni

Premium Member

to Dragasoni
said by Dragasoni:

It's unfortunate, but Netflix chose the wrong country. I doubt they'll ever turn a profit from this.

-Dragasoni-
Why wouldnt they turn a profit? I would assume much of everything is in place already since it is already fully working in the US. Get a few new peering agreements in place for the great white north and you have very few extra costs to offer it up there.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

You're right, it should generate some extra revenue since the system is already in place. I guess what I was trying to say is that they could make more money from a country that doesn't have ridiculous caps like Canada does.

-Dragasoni-

Chuck Carlso
@dsl.bell.ca

Chuck Carlso to swintec

Anon

to swintec
Duh!!?? Real the tittle again then again and again. Most Canadians like money and don't want to remit thousands of dollars in overuse charges to Canadian isp's.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Dragasoni

Premium Member

to Dragasoni
Well..for people such as myself that only rent a movie to two a month..it might actually not be too bad. I've never gone over my cap..in either my wireless internet or cable. ALthough I did get close when I downloaded a few ISO DVD's of Linux.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Hopefully....

an organization as large as Netflix will bring some pressure to bear on the Canadian Gov't to end the ridiculous pricing and penalties imposed by large telcos and cablecos. Canadians want to be able to use 21st century tech!!!!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Re: Hopefully....

said by AkFubar:

an organization as large as Netflix will bring some pressure to bear on the Canadian Gov't to end the ridiculous pricing and penalties imposed by large telcos and cablecos. Canadians want to be able to use 21st century tech!!!!
Good luck with that the Telcos are bigger then Netflix buy a mile. On top of that they aren't bringing anything to the table, as someone said, a few peering agreements, and we all stream from the US servers.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

There are other options.

*cough* Teksavvy! *cough*

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Re: There are other options.

*cough*

Hopefully they Peer up at TorIX or it will cost everyone a fortune.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus

said by TSI Gabe:

*cough*

We can only hope.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

*cough*

Have you written them to ask? and to partner with them somehow?
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

freejazz_RdJ to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
They use Akamai and Limelight for CDN services. Level3 used to be in the mix but is phased out now.

Chuck Carlso
@dsl.bell.ca

Chuck Carlso to milnoc

Anon

to milnoc
200 gigabytes a month is a mere pittance compared to what you could download from HD streamed movies.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

What I find really funny is a recent thread here with people complaining about Comcast's 250gb limit. Yawn. They should meet Roger's new 15mbps service with 80gb limit!
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Not a cable replacement

I really don't see Netflix as any kind of alternative to cable/satellite subscriptions, except for those that are seriously considering cutting the cord (or already have). From what I could tell, the current selection of TV shows available in the US is both limited in variety and age (I didn't see anything that wasn't available on DVD already), and if previous patterns hold true the selection in Canada will be more limited. Unless all you watch is movies or heavily syndicated reruns, Netflix will be a suppliment and not a replacement.

However, I do expect it to take a chunk out of the subscriber numbers for the premium movie packages and pay-per-view sales. It may also succeed in getting some people who have cut the cord to pay for some content again.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Don't worry

When they reach their cap they can go to there hockey games.
Eldorados
join:2005-11-25

Eldorados

Re: Don't worry

Would you rather we sit and watch nothing happen in a baseball game?

Oh wait, someone threw a beach ball on the field..

Michael C
join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

1 recommendation

Michael C

It sounds intentional to me...

What a great way to shed some light on the ridiculous caps faced by Canadians than to offer a very high profile service that is completely unusable. It also sets up the right conditions for lawsuits to fight these kinds of caps or to pressure legislators to do something about these punitive and innovation-restricting pricing models.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Re: It sounds intentional to me...

said by Michael C:

What a great way to shed some light on the ridiculous caps faced by Canadians than to offer a very high profile service that is completely unusable. It also sets up the right conditions for lawsuits to fight these kinds of caps or to pressure legislators to do something about these punitive and innovation-restricting pricing models.
Unfortunately our federal regulator seems to be in bed with the large telcos and cablecos here. It is extremely difficult to get anything moving on that front.
jericho7
join:2001-07-20
Halifax, NS

jericho7

Canada No Different Than US Caps

Most US internet providers have the exact came caps as Canada, some even worse so I'm not sure why having Netflix available to Canadians is any different than Americans. I'm in Nova Scotia and have Eastlink Extreme 15, 15/1 and there is no cap so no issues here with bandwidth consumption and/or overages. Also the higher tier speeds like the 30/2 and the 100/5 have 250GB caps. I'm not getting some comments as to why Canada is any different than the US when it comes to the cap issue.

••••••••••••
andy1237
join:2010-01-31
Ottawa, ON

andy1237

Usage Insurance Plan

Atleast Bell customers can order the Usage Insurance Plan which gives them 40GB of more usage every month for $5 more. But it's still pretty bad. Rogers customers don't have this option.
LINCSAT
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

1 edit

LINCSAT

Premium Member

Re: Usage Insurance Plan

Well I will be the first to drop my provider bell expressvu when netflix arrives. My reason's are making me pay for channels I never watch and that is about 70% of the channel line up, in order to get one channel I have to take a bundle, price increases it seems like every 3 months and the fact I can watch a show or movie on netflix when ever I want, but the biggest reason for dropping my tv provider bel expressvu is the comman policy of bell too confuse customers about price, bundles and price increases and bell expressvu customers can relate to this. Now the benefit of netflix coming to canada my enforce proper pricing, a la carte channels for the entire country not just competitive markets this is a win win for canadian tv customers that is a fact!! and I can't wait!!

Now to clarify this rogers did charge as of 3 months ago a Maximum overcharge of 25.00 per month so if you went over you cap 1gig or 100gig this was the highest charge now they just doubled it to 50.00 and my bet this will be retracted soon because when video internet comes to canada and alot people start realize that rogers is protecting there tv loses by increasing the price on there internet side, they are offsetting
there loss on the tv side!! Bell does have a max 30.00 charge which will most go up before it comes back down because public outcry!

Chuck Carlso
@dsl.bell.ca

Chuck Carlso

Anon

Re: Usage Insurance Plan

Free HD tv will make a lot more sense. Slated for January of 2011.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

1 edit

Kiwi88

Premium Member

NetFlix Streaming

Don't go nuts on Canadians, not their fault if they get stuck with caps, like here is any better. BTW ~250G is more than workable!

I have had Netflix for a long time, like streaming and do that over TV channels and to test a theory ran what I considered average movie watching [Somebody that actually has a job and pays the bills, so 24/7 won't count]; surprise, 40G a month measured out by Comcast's own tool is the MAX I used, checking two days before the end of the month. That's including "Normal" internet usage [Extract the Torrent crowd from this saga.]

It's doable.

I read last year where Netflix was in Europe, already?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

money and mouths

netflix, google and others should begin becoming their OWN ISPs.. the incumbents in Canada have had it TOO GOOD FOR TOO LONG! New providers need to diversify the market and ensure unlimited and fast access is just that for an affordable pricetag!

Google should do 1gbit+ FTTH deployments in Canada too! Just to prove to BellCa, Rogers & the rest of the schlub isps that it's well past time to put up or shut up about giving the customer more for less!

•••

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis

This is a Win

I hope that Netflix will promote themselves very well in Canada and that sheeple who are clueless as to CAPS and Overage charges, will use it a LOT...rack up some nice bills and then get shocked when they get hit in their wallets. THEN the ordinary schmoe will say fuck this and get pissed off and DEMAND better from our isp's.

And maybe then as many more citizens get behind the idea of no caps and bullshit overage fees, we'll see some real change for the people come about.

Bring it on Netflix...please.

Zod__
@tdbank.ca

Zod__

Anon

I hope it raises awareness

I think a big chunk of our population dont know about caps because they don't use anything that gets their usage up.

If services like netflix become available, and the less teck savvy part of our population starts to push their bandwidth consumption, maybe the isps will have to give?

I've always thought the pirates were a preview of future consumption. (maybe 3 or 4 years ahead of the regular joe). I'd love to see alot of people use netflix and drive bandwidth demand. It would increase awareness and make our ISP's look bad when people start getting crazy insane internet bills.

Chuck Carlso
@dsl.bell.ca

Chuck Carlso

Anon

French?

There's barely a frenchman left in Canada. French must rank at the very bottom of all the languages spoken in Canada. The market for french in non-existent. There remains a huge market for Chinese, Japanese and Hindi.

•••
stevenpearce882
join:2010-05-15
Springfield, MO

stevenpearce882

Bandwidth Caps

I have heard so much about the bandwidth caps from Canadian ISP's and from US ISP's like TWC and Comcast, I live in the USA and have CableONE as my cable and internet provider, my plan I am on which is the Ultra, it provides me 12 megs down and 1.5 upstream with Power Boost so actually what I get is usually 25 megs down and 2 megs upstream becuase the Power Boost on CableONE's network is not a short burst it is something that is constant 24/7.. Anyways I have a cap which is 11 GB per day which is only monitor from 12pm-12am.. 12-am-12pm I can download as much as i want too.. If I exceed the 11GB cap within that 12 hour monitoring period my speeds will be throttled in half to 6/1 until midnight that night at which time they reset it.. btw I have never went over my cap and I have 2 netflix subscriptions, vonage which is also set at the highest call quaity, plus 3 computers that I stream movies and bittorrents with all the time, plus my Tivo HD XL DVR which I use to watch Netflix on also and stream my facebok and watch online music and all sorts of other stuff. basicall my connection serves 4 devices at once and I have never had a problem with my cap or anything